Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-14-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default A-Rod To The Yanks???

Newsday is reporting today that the Yanks are hot and heavy in talks with the Rangers to acquire A-Rod to play 3rd base. Supposedly, the Rangers would have to help pay part of his salary...but they would also get Jose Contreras and a minor league catching prospect!

Pull the trigger!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:A-Rod To The Yanks???

Yes pull the damn trigger.............so my Yanks can fuck up every "Sawxs" fans dream and win the tittle all at the same time.

With A-Rod on board, the Yanks would be un-fuckin-stoppable. And it would be so cool to for us to beat those two traitors (Andy and Rocket) in the World Series.

Pull the damn trigger.........PULL THE DAMN TRIGGER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I read in the ESPN article that the Yanks would have to give Alfonso Soriano as well. It's also supposed to be a "longshot" of a deal, with many potential obstacles.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
NYCdog

BIG FUCKIN NEWS..............NEWSDAY SAYS ITS A DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A-Rod Bronx Bound
By Jon Heyman and Ken Davidoff
Staff Writer

February 14, 2004, 3:02 PM EST

The Yankees and Rangers have an agreement in principle on a monster trade that will send superstar shortstop Alex Rodriguez to New York in exchange for Alfonso Soriano, Newsday has learned.

No announcement is expected today, as a couple very minor technical details are still to be worked out. However, all sides remain confident everything will be finalized within a few days, a source said.

The Yankees are expected to send a minor-league pitcher along with Soriano to Texas to complete the deal.

The impetus for the deal was Rodriguez's surprising willingness to agree to play third base. Once Rodriguez signaled to the Yankees that he'd be willing to play third for them and defer the coveted shortstop position to Derek Jeter, a longtime friend, the talks moved very quickly.

The Yankees recently lost their starting third baseman Aaron Boone to a knee injury suffered in a pickup basketball game a month ago and have been seeking a viable replacement.

The blockbuster deal that puts Rodriguez, perhaps baseball's best all-around player, in New York, is a major blow to the rival Boston Red Sox, who spent many weeks chasing and courting Rodriguez. However, Boston's deal with Texas and A-Rod broke down when the Red Sox demanded that A-Rod and Texas both pay handsomely to offset the Rodriguez contract.

The Yankees have never let money stand in their way, and the acquisition of Rodriguez will push their payroll past $200 million. However, it is thought the Rangers have agreed to pay the Yankees some money to mitigate the drastic difference in the contracts. Rodriguez has $189 million and seven years remaining on his record $252-million deal, while Soriano is a tremendous bargain at $5.4 million this season. Soriano is ineligible for free agency until after the 2006 season.

It is believed Rodriguez also has agreed to alter the deferrals in his contract to get the deal done. It is not known how much money Rodriguez has agreed to defer.

story link...........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best player in baseball for.............a hacker in Soriano and a minor league pitching prospect.

I hate to say it like this but..............we raped you guys on this one.

Now look at our line-up,

Lofton
Jeter
A-Rod
Sheffield
Giambi
Posada
Matsui
Soriano
Williams

I'm bookin tickets for the World Series when the traitors (Andy and Rocket) come to Bronx to get there asses handed to them...........

Old 02-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #5
Kid California

Kid California is on a distinguished road
Default RE: A-Rod To The Yanks???

From Baseball America:

Top Prospect: Dioner Navarro, c

Signed: Venezuela, 2000
Signed by: Ricardo Finol/Hector Rincones

Background: Usually it’s the Yankees’ money that wins out in the free-agent market, but their tradition and worldwide appeal often provides an extra boost, especially on the international front. Venezuelan scouts Carlos Rios, Ricardo Finol and Hector Rincones established a relationship with Navarro before he signed. When the Braves topped New York’s $260,000 bid, Navarro still went with the Yankees because he had spent time around their staff and players in Tampa. Navarro quickly earned the nickname “Pudgito” for his defensive skills and physical resemblance to Pudge Rodriguez. Though he entered last season with a .252 career average, he has been an organization favorite since hitting .280 in his 2001 Rookie-level Gulf Coast League debut. The Yankees planned to keep him in high Class A Tampa all season in 2003, but he handled the bat so well they promoted him to Double-A Trenton by June. Nagging injuries—including an inner-thigh infection that led to a sty in his eye, and a hand injury from a home-plate collision—weren’t enough to stop him from raking. His combined .321 average ranked fourth among minor league catchers.

Strengths: Navarro was a second and third baseman as an amateur, and his successful move behind the plate has conjured comparisons to another infielder turned catcher, Jorge Posada. While Navarro doesn’t project to hit for the same power, he has separated himself from the pack by working counts and making hard contact to all fields. His set-up and smooth, natural stroke from both sides of the plate bring to mind Roberto Alomar. Navarro has a short, compact swing but manages to cover the plate, and he’s tough to strike out. He stays back on breaking balls and has the bat speed to catch up to plus fastballs. He shows more power potential from the right side, though he can get a little pull-happy and could top out at 20 home runs. Navarro’s cat-like quickness around the plate impresses scouts and he has above-average arm strength.

Weaknesses: Aside from not displaying big-time power, there aren’t many flaws with Navarro’s bat. There are mixed opinions on his defense. He needs to improve his game-calling skills, though that isn’t uncommon for a young catcher. He threw out 33 percent of basestealers last year, and that number should improve with slight refinements to his mechanics.

Kid California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

NYCDog----knock off the F-word bullcrap. Noone here wants to read that. It's in your signature and in dang near every post you make lately. There are kids that read this site and people who quite frankly don't want to see that language. Clean it up a little.

Now on to the news....amazing. The Rangers will receive Sorianao and minor league pitching. Say what you will about Steinbrenner......the man gets it done. I like that he is willing to spend bucks to remain a champion. I'm not a yankee fan by any means, but I certainly respect that franchise.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I don't know about that NYC. Obviously you have the considerably more talented player, but the Rangers were stuck with that ARod contract. Don't get me wrong, I don't by any means think it is a bad trade for the Yanks. Unfrtunately Hicks is unwilling/unable to spend with the Yankees.

With two contracts for $40MM per, and one of them being an absolute bust the Rangers needed to move him. They get back a player who though he is a liability on the defensive side is a great threat offensively. He hits for a decent average, has power, and steals bases. On top of that his contract is very reasonable. I'm pretty happy with the trade

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

The Rangers will likely get SALARY CAP RELIEF TO THE TUNE OF 25 MIL A YEAR, Soriano, Contreras, that stud catching prospect and another minor leaguer for ARod. If they turn around and sign Maddux or Urbina or both or some other pitching package this or next year, the Rangers will come out smelling sweet as a rose.

I hate to lose ARod, but I like the freedom the trade brings.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #9
NYCdog

Quote:
The Rangers will likely get SALARY CAP RELIEF TO THE TUNE OF 25 MIL A YEAR, Soriano, Contreras, that stud catching prospect and another minor leaguer for ARod. If they turn around and sign Maddux or Urbina or both or some other pitching package this or next year, the Rangers will come out smelling sweet as a rose.
First off Drbio............sorry for the F-BOMB Droppings. I was just so damn fu.....excuse me, excited I couldnt control myself. This is the best Valentine's day present ever. And in Boston, its the Valentine's Day Massacre all over again...haha!!!!!!!

As for the trade...........Contreras is not involved, just Soriano and a ptiching prospect according to WFAN and Newsday. And the Rangers have agreed to pay a big portion of A-Rod's salary too.

True, you will have salary cap relief. But it might be too late. Urbina is on the verge of signing a 3 year deal with the Astros and Maddux is either headed to the Giants or the Cubs.

So you might have to wait until next off-season to spend that cap space gained in this trade.

Isn't Dallas are native Kerry Wood available then............hmm its all coming together. Do I smell "Fire-Wood" in the Rangers future.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ees/index.html

Yankees do just dandy
New York sends Soriano to Rangers for A-Rod, who'll play third
Posted: Saturday February 14, 2004 8:01PM; Updated: Saturday February 14, 2004 8:18PM

NEW YORK (SI.com) -- The Boston Red Sox couldn't pull off a deal for Alex Rodriguez, and now the American League's Most Valuable Player is headed to the archrival New York Yankees.

The Texas Rangers have agreed to send Rodriguez to the Yankees for second baseman Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named later, Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci confirmed Saturday. Some contract details remain to be worked out, but a baseball source told Verducci no problems are expected.

The American League champions began preliminary discussions with the Rangers this week, a high-ranking baseball official told The Associated Press. Rodriguez has a no-trade clause but has said he would be amenable to a deal to the Yankees, the official said.

Rodriguez, the AL MVP, will be moved from shortstop to third base by New York, seeking to fill the hole created when Aaron Boone hurt a knee last month in a pickup basketball game, an injury that will require surgery. Derek Jeter, the Yankees' captain, will remain at shortstop.

"Once Boone went down, the Yankees started looking for a third baseman," said Verducci. "A-Rod told them back in November that he didn't want to move to third, but he changed his mind after Boone got hurt."

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman wouldn't discuss Rodriguez but said New York always is exploring opportunities.

"I won't comment on specific trade rumors or rumblings," he told AP. "It's my job to float ideas, weather balloons, out to my counterparts. Ninety-nine percent of them fall to the ground helplessly."

"I can't comment on the situation," said Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

The talks were first reported Saturday by The New York Post and Newsday.

Boston, the Yankees' perennial rival, nearly acquired Rodriguez in December, but a proposed deal that would have sent outfielder Manny Ramirez to the Rangers fell through because the players' association blocked Boston's attempt to restructure Rodriguez's record $252 million, 10-year contract. The union said the proposal by the Red Sox would have lowered the deal's value by $30 million to $32 million.

Boston then rejected the union's plan to lower the contract by $12 million to $13 million in exchange for Rodriguez gaining the right to use Boston's logos in merchandise deals.

After the deal collapsed, Texas owner Tom Hicks said Rodriguez would remain with the Rangers, and the team announced Jan. 25 that it was making the seven-time All-Star its captain.

Rodriguez, 28, is owed $179 million in salary over the remaining seven seasons of his contract, $4 million from his signing bonus and $12 million deferred at 3 percent annual interest from salaries during his first three years with Texas.

Soriano, 26, will make $5.4 million this year and has two more years of salary arbitration eligibility remaining. The two-time All-Star can become a free agent after the 2006 season.

"This will be a huge financial relief for the Rangers," said Verducci, adding that he did not expect Texas to pick up any portion of Rodriguez's salary.

New York's payroll is at $170.3 million, not including left-hander Gabe White, who remains in arbitration and will earn at least $1,825,000. A swap of Soriano for Rodriguez will leave New York's payroll at about $190 million.

Like the Red Sox, the Yankees want Rodriguez to restructure his contract, deferring some money, said Verducci. That will require union approval, but the baseball source said it's not expected to be a problem.

Rodriguez hit .298 last season with 47 homers, 118 RBIs and 17 stolen bases, and Soriano batted .290 with 38 homers, 91 RBIs and 35 steals.

If Soriano stays at second base with the Rangers, Michael Young will move to shortstop. "But they'll look at Soriano in center field, which might be his best position long term," said Verducci.

Enrique Wilson, Miguel Cairo and Erick Almonte are among the candidates to play second base for the Yankees.

The player to be named will be a second-tier minor leaguer whom the Rangers will pick sometime during spring training, said Verducci.

New York opens spring training Tuesday, and Texas starts two days later.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I heard that this is a done deal and only pending formalities is left. I do not mind Anfonso Soriano to be in Rangers. But guys lets be frank

Yankees lineup:

First base: Giambi (the better one not his brother)
Short stop: Jeter ( Clutch short stop)
Third Base: A-Rod

This is an all star team of hitters. I am excited but believe me that Soriano is pretty good and will be the answer.

Old 02-14-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Where will Soriano play? Will he or Young be the SS?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I think the Rangers like Soriano long term in center field. Young might play short for a season but he's the normal 2nd bagger.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:32 PM   #14
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Actually I am happy because we got Soriano. Great defender or fielder and young and got a good trade value. Lets get some other pieces like, Picthing for example. However, I will be a yankee fan from now on.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:37 AM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Very interesting and bold move by the Yanks...Boston should have done the deal when they had the chance..After Arod brought his "valet" to the awards banquet and such, you had to smell that something was going to happen...it was like he was thumbing his nose at the Rangers.

His contract as a huge mistake...despite the fact that he's a great player...so something had to be done..I'll judge this one on what the rangers can do the season after this. If we can get some good pitching, like Wood, then this will all be ok...

I'd hate to be a RedSox fan right about now.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:57 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

NYCDog- thanks.

The cap relief will in fact be realized next year. I was just trying to make a comparison analysis there. 25 million should be enough to sign a front of the rotation pitcher adn a 2-3 type guy as well. That is more valuable to the Rangers than ARod sadly.

I love ARod and felt the same way you feel now when he signed with the Rangers. I understand. Enjoy the pennant race (shouldn't be much of a race). This lineup will be Murderer's Row II. Unbelievable. Steinbrenner is a friggin' genius.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #17
NYCdog

A couple of things to note.........

Quote:
NYCDog- thanks.
No probs...........I was out of line.

Quote:
...Boston should have done the deal when they had the chance
Lets face it.........I have to be an objective baseball fan and NOT a Yankee-homer about this one.

I can already hear the groaning in Beantown. "Its a conspiracy theory against the Sawx by baseball!"

And quite frankly........thy might actually have a point.

This is not Boston's fault as GM Theo Epstein did his job and had the deal done. We all know that. But baseball and Bud Selig, whom are both based in Manhattan, came in and killed the deal, in of all places, a conference room in the MLB headquarters in Manhattan, home of the hated rival Yankees. Now the Yankees are making a deal to reel in A-Rod and we have yet to hear a peep from the MLB's front office. And we might not ever hear from them either.

Coincidence.........I'll leave that for you guys to debate.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:20 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

It's official. The MLBPA Just announced they have signed off on the deal. The commish is quoted by Tim Kurkijan to have said he will sign off tomorrow. The news conference will be held in NY on Tuesday.

Latest speculation is the Rangers will send ARod and a boatload of cash (as high as 60 million) and will receive Soriano and a player to be named from a list of five players (not all pitchers). That's it. The lopsided nature of this trade in favor of the Yanks is an admission by Hicks that he overpaid miserably for ARod.

amazing.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:22 PM   #19
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Doc... I saw another analysis...basically saying this was about $20 mil better than the Boston idea...

Do you have an opinion on that since you're the de facto Rangers expert ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2004, 09:28 AM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The best analysis of this is the one being tossed around by Dale hanson and the Ticket.

Hicks is getting A-Rod for three years at a cost of $140M (and three last place finishes).

The Yankees are getting A-Rod for seven years at a cost of $110M.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:36 AM   #21
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

If Hicks does not turn around next year and go after top pitching with this savings in money then he won't be getting any of my money. I have been going to the BallPark every year (about 15 games) and was looking forward to taking my son to his first one this year. But enough is enough. If this was made to put more money in Hicks pocket instead of putting every single penny saved back into the team then I'm thru. I guess well see a whole NEW direction made by Ranger management today.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:38 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Doc... I saw another analysis...basically saying this was about $20 mil better than the Boston idea...

Do you have an opinion on that since you're the de facto Rangers expert ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Overall, Hicks is probably saving that kind of money in terms of long term dollars OP. But.....it now appears that the Rangers are agreeing to send $67 million (40% of it deferred until after the contract expires) to New York to make the trade happen. I'm not sure how Boston's offer was going to fleece the Rangers out of 87 million (20+67) if that was the case, unless they were also talking about Manny Ramirez's contract coming back to Texas. There are some funny math "goings-ons" here.

The trade helps the Rangers by freeing up as much as 25 million a year over the life of ARod's contract. If the Rangers use it on front of the rotation pitching, they will be fine with the stable of young guns that they have. If they continue to try to outscore the opponent, we will enjoy many more years of mediocrity.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Question: Didn't Hicks recently cut the budget of the scouting department?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:23 AM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby

Answer: Yes. By quite a bit.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:41 AM   #25
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby

Answer: Yes. By quite a bit.
Doesn't that just reek of hypocracy? "we are no longer going to build through free agency; we are going to build through the draft and our farm system. BTW, we are going to draft players by using a quija board."

When Ted Turner bought the Braves, he tried to cut the scouting department's budget. His GM said that the scouting department was vital to the future success of the franchise. Then Turner asked why the Braves weren't spending more and increased the budget.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:30 PM   #26
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Never wonder who is the better owner; Cuban, Hicks, or Jones.

Hicks is a total marketing idiot. I would give to see the Stars and Rangers owned by Cuban or Jones.
Hicks has let go of A-Rod, Pudge, Raffy, Gonzo, Derrian Hatcher, Eddie the Eagle and Brett Hull. All because of M$.

Cuban and Jerry Jones, both put winning far ahead of $$$. They have a passion that keeps them up trying to make the team better. Sometimes their pride and arrogance get the better of them, but at least you see them working to get better. They understand that people want to see a winner. Funny how that relates to them making more $$$ in the process.

Hicks is running these teams in the ground by making moves based upon $$$ and not love of the game.
He doesn't care for the fans opinion, nor does it matter who has the talent. Give me a meddling owner with passion; over a quiet one that treats it like a business any day. Hicks trusted to many people to make too many $$ decisions for him, and he just needs to sell both franchises and get back to his other businesses.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:36 PM   #27
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

The Rangers are pathetic.

I can't believe Hicks traded with the "EVIL EMPIRE"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #28
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Man, what a sweet deal for the Yanks. I can't help but begin to cheer for them. ARod at third and Jeter at SS. Geez!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:45 PM   #29
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Oh dear Lord, my Sports Comm prof, who's a Yankee fan, will not stop gloating. The Rangers make me hurt as a sports fan. And that part about how we have to BUY HIS HOUSE?? Stupidest thing I've heard heard in my entire life. Of course, for him it makes sense, since A-Rod will be staying as far away from Texas as he can for the rest of his life.

Freaking Hicks. God I wish he had sold the Stars now. On the bright side, maybe the extra money will be enough to convince him to take on a little extra salary come the NHL trade deadline. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

edit: Can Young play SS? I don't really know much about him. Has he played there before?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Young will be a very much above average shortstop. He won't produce at ARod's offensive numbers, but he most certainly is ARo'ds equal defensively...if not better. Young was screwed last year out of a golden glove. He should have been the GG winner at second, but he played for a bad team and was penalized. He should have been a nall star as well, but wasn't for the same reason. The kid is money.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:18 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

It has officially hit the transaction wire. It is a done deal.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #32
MikeB
Golden Member

As far as which deal was better...I for one am much happier to have Soriano and a prospect than Manny Ramirez so the Yankee deal is better as far as that is concerned...I just hate to think of making the Yankees better for 7 years. UGHHHHH!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #33
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Soriano is much better value than Manny, and we can pick-up a pitching prospect . . . not too bad of a deal for a horrible situation. I hate Tom Hicks, 6 mill for Oliver, 100 mill for that pitcher who is so crappy i forgot his name . . . its in my mind somewhere, but he sucks to much for me to remember it, anyways the point is, this is all for nill if the Rangers don't use this money to aquire REALLY GOOD pitching. That will be the ultimate judge, afterall Seatle didn't start getting good untile they got some pitching, and got rid of big time contracts with big time hitters, i.e. A-rod, and Ken G. jr.

We still have one of the best young infeilds in baseball, and we have a damn good AAA ss prospect who was featured on Fox Sports net towards the end of the season last year, this can be a stepping stone in the right direction, but history has me questioning
Old 02-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #34
MikeB
Golden Member

Is the guy you were searching for possibly CHAN HO PARK?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:15 PM   #35
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MikeB
Is the guy you were searching for possibly CHAN HO PARK?
No, Chan Ho (let them hit it out of the) Park couldn't be his name. Chan Ho is much worse than just people forgetting his name.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #36
Kid California

Kid California is on a distinguished road

Baseball America:
Yankees get A-Rod, Rangers get financial relief
By Jim Callis
February 16, 2004

Pulling off the blockbuster that the Red Sox attempted but failed to complete in December, the Yankees acquired Alex Rodriguez on Monday from the Rangers. In return, Texas will receive Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named later. The Rangers also will pay $43 million of the $179 million Rodriguez is owed over the next seven years, as well as $24 million in deferred payments.

Normally in Trade Central, we break down the strengths and weaknesses of the players involved. In this case, that seems superfluous. Is there anyone out there who doesn't know that Rodriguez has a chance to go down as the greatest shortstop in baseball history—at least until New York moves him to third base to avoid a clash of egos with Derek Jeter, an inferior defender? Is there anyone who doesn't realize that Soriano has one of the best power/speed combinations in the game, albeit along with a shaky grasp of the strike zone and defensive skills at second base?

Rather than state the obvious, we'll focus on the as-yet-unamed prospect in the trade. The Yankees have given the Rangers a list of five players to choose from, and Texas can wait until the conclusion of spring training to make its decision. Though initial speculation was that New York would give up a pitching prospect, baseball sources say the five-man list contains four hitters, including outfielder Rudy Guillen, shortstop Joaquin Arias and second baseman Robinson Cano, as well as righthander Ramon Ramirez. Here's a synopsis of those four players, all of whom signed out of the Dominican Republic and ranked Nos. 3-6 on our Yankees Top 10 Prospects list:

Guillen, age 20 (No. 3): Signed for $100,000 in 2000, Guillen is the best athlete in the Yankees system. He's a five-tool center fielder with raw power, plus speed and a strong arm. He hit .260/.311/.414 with 13 homers, 79 RBIs and 13 steals in 133 games at low Class A Battle Creek in 2003. His plate discipline (32 walks, 87 strikeouts) is his biggest weakness.

Arias, age 19 (No. 4): Arias received a $300,000 bonus in 2001. Known as "Spiderman" because his arms and legs appear to be going in different directions at once, he nonetheless has good body control and is both the fastest baserunner and best defensive infielder in the system. He also has a quick bat and promising raw power, though he needs to draw more walks. He hit .266/.306/.343 with three homers, 48 RBIs and 12 steals in 130 games at Battle Creek last year.

Ramirez, age 22 (No. 5): Originally signed by the Rangers as an outfielder in 1996, Ramirez was released by Texas in 1998. He signed with the Hiroshima Carp in 2002 but pitched just three innings in the Japanese majors. After he impressed the Yankees in winter ball after that season, they outbid the Phillies for his rights. They paid $350,000 to the Carp and $175,000 to Ramirez. He has the best breaking ball in the New York system, a power curveball, along with a 92-95 mph fastball. He pitched in 20 games (18 starts) last year between high Class A Tampa, Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Columbus, going 3-10, 4.43. In 102 innings he had a 96-29 strikeout-walk ratio and a .275 opponent average. He led the Arizona Fall League with a 1.44 ERA.

Cano, age 21 (No. 6): Cano is one of the better hitters in the Yankees system, with a smooth stroke, plus bat speed and natural strength that should lead to lots of power once he adds loft to his swing. As he has filled out, he has lost some quickness, which may prompt a move from second to third base. He also could use some more plate discipline. Cano hit .277/.321/.374 with six homers and 63 RBIs in 136 games between Tampa and Trenton last year.

Our baseball sources confirmed that catcher Dioner Navarro, the Yankees' top prospect, is not included on the five-player list.
Kid California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #37
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ramirez, age 22 (No. 5): Originally signed by the Rangers as an outfielder in 1996, Ramirez was released by Texas in 1998. He signed with the Hiroshima Carp in 2002 but pitched just three innings in the Japanese majors. After he impressed the Yankees in winter ball after that season, they outbid the Phillies for his rights. They paid $350,000 to the Carp and $175,000 to Ramirez. He has the best breaking ball in the New York system, a power curveball, along with a 92-95 mph fastball. He pitched in 20 games (18 starts) last year between high Class A Tampa, Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Columbus, going 3-10, 4.43. In 102 innings he had a 96-29 strikeout-walk ratio and a .275 opponent average. He led the Arizona Fall League with a 1.44 ERA.
Newberg said this in his Sunday piece:

Quote:
7. According to Sullivan, the Rangers will select the prospect from a list of five, and they will have until the end of spring training to make the decision. Sullivan's source said that "most of them" are pitchers. The pitching names you should probably hope are on the list are lefthander Sean Henn and righthander Ramon Ramirez. Other possible candidates: righthanders Jorge DePaula and Chien-Ming Wang, and lefthanders Alex Graman, Andy Beal, and Brad Halsey. Reports early in the day Saturday indicated that, instead of a pitcher, the Rangers might have been offered blue-chip catcher prospect Dioner Navarro. If Navarro is on the list of five, he might be hard to pass up. (But Bill Madden and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News report today that Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan are not on the list. Not a real impressive scoop by Madden and McCarron as far as Duncan is concerned, by the way -- he was New York's first-round pick in 2003, and thus can't be traded, by rule, until the summer.)

Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #38
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I was kind of hoping for Sean Henn. But, I'd settle for Ramirez. It's amazing how depleted the Yankees farm system is nowadays.

I'll be very upset if they don't choose a pitcher!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:40 AM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
I was kind of hoping for Sean Henn. But, I'd settle for Ramirez. It's amazing how depleted the Yankees farm system is nowadays.

In practice I would agree. A pitcher should be obtained, however, if they use the financial flexibility to sign pitching then I would rather they take the best player as the PTBNL.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #40
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES

In practice I would agree. A pitcher should be obtained, however, if they use the financial flexibility to sign pitching then I would rather they take the best player as the PTBNL.

Actually- this whole thing will be OK if they sign Kerry Wood next year...