Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-20-2004, 06:40 AM   #1
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road
Default Confidence

Confidence is a big part of Dampier's improvement last year. People in the Warriors organization say he had all-time high confidence last year. I looked at the boxscores and Shaq looked like he played harder the last 2 games (Dampier was injured the last game) after Dampier held him down some the first 2 games between the teams. Look what he says about playing Shaq tough.

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- With Shaquille O'Neal rumbling back into the NBA's Eastern Conference, free-agent center Erick Dampier believes he could be the Knicks' ticket to derail The Diesel.

"I don't know a lot of people who played him the way I did last season," said Dampier, the former Warrior who met coach Lenny Wilkens at the Knicks' practice facility yesterday. "Definitely, they would need somebody to compete against him."

Although the Hawks have a three- or four-year offer starting at $8 million on the table, Dampier indicated the Knicks were his first choice. "They have a great coach, and enough quality pieces on their team," he said. "The only thing they need is a center. I think I could be part of something special."

The 6-11, 265-pound Dampier said he would guard O'Neal, now with the Heat, as he did in the West. "I just try to go out and play him hard, try to meet him earlier and not let him get to the position he's comfortable in."

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, in 17 career games against Dampier, O'Neal has shot 58.4 percent from the field and averaged 25.1 points and 11.5 rebounds while Dampier has shot 39.8 percent with 7.8 points and 7.1 rebounds.

Dampier, 30, opted out of the last two years of a contract worth $16 million. He wants a long-term deal starting at $9 million, if a sign-and-trade deal could be cut. The Knicks are reportedly prepared to offer six years at $67.5 million.

Last season, his eighth, Dampier was fourth in rebounding (12 a game), seventh in double-doubles (42), third in field-goal percentage (.535), first in offensive rebounding (4.7) and 11th in defensive rebounding (7.3).

Dampier said that if Knicks GM Isiah Thomas didn't make an offer last night when they were scheduled to meet, he wouldn't be concerned. "I've been patient this long," Dampier said. "I can't rush it."

Hoopshype says he has spent a lot of time in the weight room. That's not the words describing a bum. C-Webb all but named Vlade when he was talking about a big guy never lifting a weight when he was supposed to be battling in the paint.

Hoopshype also goes on to say he's a tough player in the middle with broad shoulders, a great offensive rebounder, a good shot blocker with quick feet and strong on the boards. He's not especially talented on the offensive end, but he shoots a high % with the shots he does take.

I say he knew he was coming to Dallas for 2 months and I'm glad he wants the pressure of being the center who pushes them over the top.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links