Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light
Default Giants got lucky! Patriots still 19-0 in my book!

NOT!

Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I still love hearing Moss talk..
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

awesome thread
mav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

does this mean the Mavs loss to the Warriors last spring is no longer the "biggest choke" in pro sports history?

feels that way to me!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

now we get to listen to 2 more weeks of this and maybe we can hang Skip Bayliss in the process. That would be a good ending to the season.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 02-04-2008 at 07:57 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Re-Dirk-ulous

Re-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of lightRe-Dirk-ulous is a glorious beacon of light

It reminds me of the great movie "Little Giants"

it's like life imitating art... lol
Re-Dirk-ulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav_love
does this mean the Mavs loss to the Warriors last spring is no longer the "biggest choke" in pro sports history?

feels that way to me!
no, because the patriots didn't lose in the first round.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

wait... the 'dynastic' Patriots brought the top record in all of NFL history into neutral territory and lost to a 10-6 wildcard team from the hugely weaker conference that was making big play after big play with its rookie fill-ins.

when guys like Ross and Tyree burn you in the 4th and beat you on the biggest stage imaginable in US pro sports... that is the BIGGEST CHOKE.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to have some championships before we make a choke though.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
wait... the 'dynastic' Patriots brought the top record in all of NFL history into neutral territory and lost to a 10-6 wildcard team from the hugely weaker conference that was making big play after big play with its rookie fill-ins.

when guys like Ross and Tyree burn you in the 4th and beat you on the biggest stage imaginable in US pro sports... that is the BIGGEST CHOKE.
the mavericks had the best record in the nba and had home court advantage and still lost to the 8th seed. that's pretty bad.

you are severely overrating the facts when you say the patriots got beat "big play after big play with its (giants) rookie fill-ins." the biggest plays were made by eli manning.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #11
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker
the mavericks had the best record in the nba and had home court advantage and still lost to the 8th seed. that's pretty bad.

you are severely overrating the facts when you say the patriots got beat "big play after big play with its (giants) rookie fill-ins." the biggest plays were made by eli manning.
The only possible defense I can think of for this not being a bigger upset is that the Patriots have 3 other championships.

Teams have been beaten by the 8th seed before, but when your 18-0 playing a wildcard team in the Superbowl that is a hell of a lot worse than the Mavs losing to the Warriors. Especially when you take into account they had a losing record against them in the regular season, everyone knew it wouldn't be an easy matchup for them. The Pats were supposed to crush the Giants.

This will go down as a bigger upset in the media, if not for any other reason than football is much more popular to the masses.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
antoinewalker
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
The only possible defense I can think of for this not being a bigger upset is that the Patriots have 3 other championships.

Teams have been beaten by the 8th seed before, but when your 18-0 playing a wildcard team in the Superbowl that is a hell of a lot worse than the Mavs losing to the Warriors. Especially when you take into account they had a losing record against them in the regular season, everyone knew it wouldn't be an easy matchup for them. The Pats were supposed to crush the Giants.

This will go down as a bigger upset in the media, if not for any other reason than football is much more popular to the masses.
you've made some good points and i do agree that this may go down as a bigger upset in the media due to the fact that it occurred at a larger stage with it being the super bowl and with football being a more popular sport in the united states than basketball but i just can't say this is a larger choke job because at least the patriots made it to the championship game. teams favored to win the championship game in any sport don't always win but at least they made it that far as opposed to a first round exit.

i know that teams have been beaten by the 8th seed before but how often has that happened?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

If the Super Bowl was a 5 game series like the NBA I think you could call that a bigger choke job than the Warriors and Mavs series. But everyone knows in the NFL anything can happen. I can only imagine how much money was lost yesterday due to people thinking the Patriots had the game locked. I'd never bet on a football game. Its why the undefeated season is so impressive in football.

Giants dominated the Patriots. The score doesn't show it but that was an ass whoopoing. What they did to that offense was amazing. This is the same team that snuck out of Texas Stadium with a win as well as Lambeau Field.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

haha, thats awesome~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #15
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:

feels that way to me!
Nope, this is worse. This is like if a team goes 82-0 in the regular season, goes 12-0 in the playoffs to reach the NBA Finals, take a 3-0 lead in the Finals but lose in 7 games and Kwame Brown is NBA Finals MVP.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

I think this guy pretty much sums up how everyone in NYC feels.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?epis...17e4f5e41b0003
Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #17
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

man they were lucky. Did anyone in NY really think they were going to win the superbowl when they were entering as a wild card? This was probably the biggest gift anyone could ever recieve. So unexpected. They probably had NO time to take it all in. *Did we just win the sooperball?*

p.s. I'd rather draft DMac then a wr seeing as how the giants don't need top tier tallent at that possition to pull it off.

Last edited by Windmill360; 02-05-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #18
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
I think this guy pretty much sums up how everyone in NYC feels.

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?epis...17e4f5e41b0003

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
man they were lucky. Did anyone in NY really think they were going to win the superbowl when they were entering as a wild card? This was probably the biggest gift anyone could ever recieve. So unexpected. They probably had NO time to take it all in. *Did we just win the sooperball?*

p.s. I'd rather draft DMac then a wr seeing as how the giants don't need top tier tallent at that possition to pull it off.

I might have to disagree with you there. Plaxico is a top 10 reciever in the league. Isn't Steve Smith a 1st rounder in the last draft? Amani Toomer's best days are behind him but still a decent player. And he's such a no name guy that I don't even recall his name but the guy who made that amazing catch to put the Giants in to position to win the game? Not sure if he's any good but that catch was amazing. It might've been just luck on his side but that's not a catch every guy in the league can make.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
I might have to disagree with you there. Plaxico is a top 10 reciever in the league. Isn't Steve Smith a 1st rounder in the last draft? Amani Toomer's best days are behind him but still a decent player. And he's such a no name guy that I don't even recall his name but the guy who made that amazing catch to put the Giants in to position to win the game? Not sure if he's any good but that catch was amazing. It might've been just luck on his side but that's not a catch every guy in the league can make.
Plaxico is no doubt a top 10 receiver, when his head is in the game, that's always been the criticism of him. The guy was playing hurt, but still was focused enough to get the job done. Toomer is a wiley vet and that bodes well for a chain moving WR in this league, he will find the soft spots in coverage, settle in and let Manning find him. Smith has taken over Toomer's long route threat. Tyree had been dropping everything in practice all week, seems he needed his helmet to make catches.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Nothing was more painful than last years first round loss (except maybe the Finals the year before)

Nothing is more painful than being a Mavs fan.

But I'm still here damnit.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Nothing was more painful than last years first round loss (except maybe the Finals the year before)

Nothing is more painful than being a Mavs fan.

But I'm still here damnit.
I would've thought a person with your name would be more opportunistic
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote