Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default KG to NY

A source close to the participants in the talks told me late Tuesday night that New York and Minnesota are in serious and ongoing discussions about a deal which would send Kevin Garnett to the Knicks in exchange for Penny Hardaway and Channing Frye. Isiah Thomas, who has called Frye untouchable all season, is willing to give up the sought after rookie to land the future Hall of Famer.

Garnett has made it clear to the front office that should he be dealt, he wants to go to New York and that wish will be fulfilled if the Timberwolves decide to end the KG era and begin to rebuild. They reportedly respect Garnett and all that he has done for both the franchise and the area not to trade him to his preferred team.

The question of if the Wolves want to move on without Garnett will be the deciding factor in whether a trade gets completed before Thursday.

This deal delayed last week's Knicks discussions with the Magic regarding Steve Francis and it is why it will be Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor going to Orlando for their first time, instead of Hardaway’s second. That deal is all but complete, but Orlando is waiting to see if Denver returns to the table before the deadline.

If the Wolves choose to retain Garnett, the Knicks will turn to Denver and Kenyon Martin, a player that Larry Brown covets.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 12:01 AM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Francis
Stephon Marbury
Jalen Rose/Q
Kevin Garnett
Eddy Curry

While this lineup is filled with potential jokes, this is definitely a competing team in the East. KG automatically makes them a threat, and with him in the lane you will likely see Q start shooting at last year's percentage. This could definitely be one of those ONLY ONE BALL AND 5 SHOOTERS thing, but KG is very willing to pass to an open guy. The problem is that most of these guys can't shoot.

If I am reading this right, my first question is does Marbury actually play the 2, or does that go to Francis, (or does he get moved for a consistent 3/5)? Once that has been settled, you have to look at their young bench and determine if anyone in that youth group starts over a guy like Rose/Q or Curry. An interesting team I guess! Much, MUCH better than they are now after these moves...
Old 02-22-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

My god, the two glaring grammatical errors in that article make it hard for me to figure out what the hell it actually says.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

IF those two trades happened...well...the Knicks would have a pretty sick squad. I'd be pretty worried about them moving forward into the future.

But if the Wolves would be amenable to freakin' Channing Frye and an expiring contract, I'd definitely offer something like KVH and ...hm...Devin, Josh, Q, or some combination thereof? I cringe at the thought, but the idea of KG playing on the Mavs beside Dirk is truly tantalizing.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-22-2006 at 01:47 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I like these potential trades for New York. If Garnett is on the trading block however, Cuban better be doing all he can to bring him to Dallas. I would be fine with seeing Josh, Marquis, or even Devin go in a trade for KG. A Dirk and Garnett frontcourt duo would significantly shift the title favor in Dallas' direction.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I like these potential trades for New York. If Garnett is on the trading block however, Cuban better be doing all he can to bring him to Dallas. I would be fine with seeing Josh, Marquis, or even Devin go in a trade for KG. A Dirk and Garnett frontcourt duo would significantly shift the title favor in Dallas' direction.
I think the reason they would want Frye is because they think he has the potential to be something close to a garnett.

Either way, Minnesota is probably going to want a frontcourt player and some picks, which is something other teams have over us.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
I think the reason they would want Frye is because they think he has the potential to be something close to a garnett.

Either way, Minnesota is probably going to want a frontcourt player and some picks, which is something other teams have over us.

I tend towards the belief that the Wolves would be amenable to 1 or 2 proven young talents (e.g. Q, Howard, Harris) over picks, especially considering that there aren't many super-sweet kids in the pipeline.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I tend towards the belief that the Wolves would be amenable to 1 or 2 proven young talents (e.g. Q, Howard, Harris) over picks, especially considering that there aren't many super-sweet kids in the pipeline.
As much as I like Garnett, I don't think I could ever feel comfortable with trading away Harris and Howard. On the other hand, if they want one of the youngins and cap relief with picks then I would easily pull the trigger

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 AM   #9
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
As much as I like Garnett, I don't think I could ever feel comfortable with trading away Harris and Howard. On the other hand, if they want one of the youngins and cap relief with picks then I would easily pull the trigger
Agreed agreed, I wasn't suggesting we trade 2 of the kids. I was just contending Nash13's statement that teams with picks have one-up on us by saying we offered something as valuable (if not more so) in the form of young, proven talents.