Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you do it ? Offseason trade

Would you trade the Dallas 1st round pick, and a resigned DJ Benga/or Diop for Micheal Pietrus and Cabarkapa from Golden State?

Would Golden State do it? Would Dallas?

As far as I can tell Jason Richarson is GS's SG for the future. They really need an athletic Big man to team with Beidrins and Diogu. They have hinted at moving Pietrus.

Dallas needs a SG that is defensive minded, but can shoot the jumper as well. Dallas also needs a back PF, and Cabarkapa has a little talent.

Assuming KVH is not resigned, and DJ is resigned or matched, would this be a descent deal for both teams?
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I would say no - Diop still has decent upside (as he has demonstrated this year) and I think he will get progessively better as he gets more playing time. Benga is a tantalizing talent and I believe that we are intent on keeping him. I would be very uncomfortable moving either of those players for a SG - especially one who is as inefficient of a scorer as Pietrus (shoots 40%). He is a strong defensive player, I will give him that, but I think his offensive repetoire (or lack thereof, rather) would keep him from being a strong contributor to this team. (And I hesitate to repeat this cliche, but you never trade big for small unless it's Travis Knight).

I think that Pietrus is built in pretty much the same mold as Howard and Quis, except that our two swingmen are stronger offensively. You can say that they can't shoot from beyond 12-feet very efficiently but if you look at his stats, neither can Pietrus. In fact, Pietrus' eFG% is lower than both Q and Howard. Mickael is at 47.1%, Howard is at 49.1% and Q is at 48.4%.

And I'm not sold on Cabarkapa at all. His +/- numbers are simply awful (-11.0 points per 100p) and his FG% and eFG% for a big man make me throw up a little bit. I would be more comfortable with Powell playing the back-up PF role at this point.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-24-2006 at 04:08 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

KEEP THE TEAM WE HAVE> I want to see this team blossom and grow into a dynasty and I think they have that potential.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

DJ MBenga and a #1 for Diaw or the Chupacabra? Hell yes.

Pavel is making MBenga completely expendable. In my opinion, he has limited potential. I doubt we even try very hard to resign him. If we can actually get something in return, that's wonderful. Both of the players you mentioned are better positioned to help this team win a championship than anyone we could grab at our current position in the draft.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to see them try to get position in the draft to take PJ Tucker from Texas. I have no clue where he would go in the draft but he would be great. I see him as a hard nosed defender that could possibly take the place of Griffin once he is gone (I don't know how long he would be here)

Last edited by sixeightmkw; 04-24-2006 at 04:33 PM.
sixeightmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
They really need an athletic Big man to team with Beidrins and Diogu.
Why would GS make that trade for M'Benga/Diop when they have the 9th pick in the draft and would thus be able to grab one of the top big men like Sheldon Williams, Tiago Splitter, Cedric Simmons, Patrick O'Bryant, Hilton Armstrong etc.? And I would say they try and move the useless Mike Dunleavy before Pietrus as Dunleavy is a one-dimensional Kyle Korver-like spot-up shooter who can't even create his own shot while Pietrus is a lot more toolsy. Pietrus can easily slide into the SF spot.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

NO

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
I would like to see them try to get position in the draft to take PJ Tucker from Texas. I have no clue where he would go in the draft but he would be great. I see him as a hard nosed defender that could possibly take the place of Griffin once he is gone (I don't know how long he would be here)

NBADraft.net has him going 38 to the Warriors.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

What team has a defensive minded SG, that Dallas might be able to trade for? Next year, if they resign Terry, (IMO, he will be the 6th man and the 1/2 tweener), they still need a true starting SG.

Who could they get at SG though, that would totally fill the role needed? The only assets they have are the gluttony of athletic BIGS, so I will assume that they trade Damp, Diop, or DJ for one of these.

I know, you don't trade big for small, but when you have big, need a small, and need a place to put another big (PPod), then you trade a big for a Need.

Des Mason, or JR Smith? Mickael Pietrus? Who?
Old 04-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
What team has a defensive minded SG, that Dallas might be able to trade for? Next year, if they resign Terry, (IMO, he will be the 6th man and the 1/2 tweener), they still need a true starting SG.

Who could they get at SG though, that would totally fill the role needed? The only assets they have are the gluttony of athletic BIGS, so I will assume that they trade Damp, Diop, or DJ for one of these.

I know, you don't trade big for small, but when you have big, need a small, and need a place to put another big (PPod), then you trade a big for a Need.

OK, please look at the two bold highlights. You want a defensive minded sg and you name Des Mason and JR Smith. Yeah, they are all about the D. as I said before,

LEAVE THE FIN TEAM ALONE>
Old 04-25-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
LEAVE THE FIN TEAM ALONE>
This finals team will change regardless. The question is, how does it get better and dominant, instead of "very good"?

IMO, age will catch them, contracts will catch them, free agency will catch them.

I think KVH is gone because he will get a better offer. I think Stack will be gone after next year because they need to get younger. I think that Devin Harris needs to be starting next year, if he is ever to develop into a quality PG. I think Terry will probably get better offers than Dallas will offer this year (whether he stays or goes remains to be seen).

How do you keep every piece together? Do you keep DJ and PPod not getting playing time? Do you max out Howard? Does Powell keep developing, or do you need a different backup PF?

I don't want to break up the core of the team, but like San Antonio added a couple of pieces from the finals team to this year...... the Mavs will have to as well, IMO.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Russian revolution is coming to the NBA. You gotta make room for the bear.
It was nice watching MBenga for two years foul everyone on the court while not blocking out, but there just isn't room for 4 centers on this team. Give me the Chupakabra! Outside shooting pleasE!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I read Greg Buckner is going to be a free agent. Defensive minded and has developed a nice 3-point shot. Mavs could probably get him for part of the MLE if he was interested in coming to Dallas.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

I would love to get JR Smith or Mikel Pietrus as our future SG. But isnt Daniels supposed to be that? So if we are looking at another player, we might as well trade Daniels.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #15
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I hope we dont trade Daniels...he has a chance to be better than all of the other guys.

We need to keep the core Dirk, Howard, Daniels, Harris, Terry, and prolly Diop......and although i like all the other players too...if changes are needed include them.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #16
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

First things first, resigning Terry is a must!

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 04-30-2006, 01:17 AM   #17
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

We should resign Terry if the price is anywhere reasonable. He'd be a great 6th man off the bench, could play the minutes while Devin is resting, and could play SG occasionally.

But if he asks for 10 mil a year or something like that we gotta let him walk, and sign another backup PG that could provide some big shots and good range.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

What will Seattle do with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis? Is KG really going to stay in Minnesota. Pierce was almost traded for the number three overall pick will he be gone? Other notable players Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis and the NY circus. And the dynamicly old duo of Webber and AI.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
What will Seattle do with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis? Is KG really going to stay in Minnesota. Pierce was almost traded for the number three overall pick will he be gone? Other notable players Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis and the NY circus. And the dynamicly old duo of Webber and AI.

It's going to be a crazy offseason that hopefully Dallas is involved in!

Old 05-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #20
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
It's going to be a crazy offseason that hopefully Dallas is involved in!
If the Mavs ARE involved.. I hope we don't trade for any superstars.. nobody that takes more than 12 or 15 shots a game please..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote