Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default JJ Reddick

Although it's amazingly early, NBADraft.net currently has the Mavs drafting JJ Reddick with our first round pick in next years draft. He is definitely a shooter, something which we could use at this point. What does everyone think of him?

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE: JJ Reddick

College player who will be crap in the NBA. One of the most overrated players, period.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I've seen a lot of Duke games. Reddick will be the next Fred Hoiberg.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

He wont be a star ... but I think he will have a role in the NBA ..... if he develops some nice PG skills, then he would be a very solid backup PG / shooter off the bench .....

I think he would be a good backup (as a changeup) guy if Daniels is the starter ....

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Bobby Hurley.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

He might end up being an Earl Watson at best. He doesn't do anything else particularly well except shoot.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 07-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE:JJ Reddick

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
He might end up being an Earl Watson at best. He doesn't do anything else particularly well except shoot.
Steve Kerr never did anything else particularly well except shoot, and he had a decent career. A player that is lights-out from 3 pt. land has a place in the NBA. I dont think he will be an all-star or anything, but i think he has potential to be as good or better than Kerr.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Worst case comparison -- Steve Alford

Best case comparison -- Steve Kerr
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

PSU, that's why i said an Earl Watson at best. In the fact that he's good enough to start on bad teams but bad enough not to start on good teams.

~The Salesman
Old 07-18-2005, 11:04 AM   #10
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

If he works hard, I think he could be a valuable role-player in the NBA. In terms of his physical attributes and talent, he seems similar to Jeff Hornacek. I would say that's his best-case scenario comparison.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #11
D-town funkadellic

D-town funkadellic is on a distinguished road

theres always a place in the league for a good three point shooter, however, when you can't do much of anything else you are a role player, which is what Reddick will be for his entire career. I'm thinking a small Rick Fox with a better stroke.
D-town funkadellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:45 AM   #12
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
PSU, that's why i said an Earl Watson at best. In the fact that he's good enough to start on bad teams but bad enough not to start on good teams.
I was also referring to the Watson comparison in that he is an athletic point guard, JJ is a non-athlete (in NBA terms) shooting guard.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:59 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The one things Reddick has is that he's very consistent for his age and is a professional. Many teams could use that.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
The one things Reddick has is that he's very consistent for his age and is a professional. Many teams could use that.
I'm not so sure--I'm very consistent for my age (of course, I'm 52) and very professional. I'm not getting any calls from NBA teams. I think you need some athleticism as well.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

NBAdraft.net has us picking 27th, we may very well have a better pick next year after cutting Finley and getting no upgrades at any position..........I thought Stromile Swift, a shot blocking, athletic big would be a nice backup to Damp. If we do nothing but lose our depth and don't address our needs, we will get a much better pick.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Stromile shotblocking Swift had no blocks in the entire Phoenix series.

James Posey, Early Watson, and Bonzi Wells had more blocks than him =P

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
Quote:
I'm not so sure--I'm very consistent for my age (of course, I'm 52) and very professional. I'm not getting any calls from NBA teams. I think you need some athleticism as well.
He's at least as athletic as Kerr and Kerr has some rings. He's also very similar to our favorite sharpshooter in Philadelphia.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Kerr had jordan, hence the rings =p

maybe if reddick joins with lebron?

Contact Me
Old 07-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
Kerr had jordan, hence the rings =p

maybe if reddick joins with lebron?
Not all of Kerr's rings came from Jordan. And jordan had Kerr, John Paxon, Craig hodges, and BJ armstrong as well. No Jordan, no NBA championship banners hanging in the Chicago, but Jordan still need help. Just because Jordan was arguably the greatest player in the game, is no reason to toally discount the contributions of his teammates.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 PM   #20
alby
Guru

I never said mj won his rings by himself, i am just stating that if reddick wants to win rings, he will need to be a complimentary to a superstar ala kerr for mj and kerr for duncan

Contact Me
Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #21
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

bump

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #22
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I don't think we can get JJ now, both because his value has gone up and our draft pick will be lower than we originally probably thought.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #23
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

I love the kid. Favorite player in college right now. He is very poised and just really seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #24
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Upside: Mike Miller
Downside: Mike Dunleavy
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrewsfan
Upside: Mike Miller
Downside: Mike Dunleavy
Both of those players are 6'8. Jason Terry and Trejon Langdon would be more appropriate IMO.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #26
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with the Jason Terry comparison unless you are are saying that he will be on that talent level (and disregarding the similarities in their game). But Redick has absolutely zero point guard skills. He makes Jason Terry look like Jason Kidd. I think he's going to be a little bit better than "The Alaskan Assassin" though. He's probably going to have to play a Steve Kerr/Kyle Korver role in the NBA. He used to just be a catch-and-shoot player, but he's improved a little bit at taking jumpers off the dribble as well as driving. I'm still curious though if that newly improved part of his game will work against NBA defenders or if he'll have to revert back to basically being a catch-and-shoot player that he was in his first 3 years at dook.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #27
Nash13
Diamond Member

My opinions still haven't changed. As a matter of fact, i see him being like Steve Blake or Juan Dixon.

~The Salesman
Old 02-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
I don't agree with the Jason Terry comparison unless you are are saying that he will be on that talent level (and disregarding the similarities in their game). But Redick has absolutely zero point guard skills. He makes Jason Terry look like Jason Kidd. I think he's going to be a little bit better than "The Alaskan Assassin" though. He's probably going to have to play a Steve Kerr/Kyle Korver role in the NBA. He used to just be a catch-and-shoot player, but he's improved a little bit at taking jumpers off the dribble as well as driving. I'm still curious though if that newly improved part of his game will work against NBA defenders or if he'll have to revert back to basically being a catch-and-shoot player that he was in his first 3 years at dook.
I'm not sold on the Terry comparison. I was just thinking about a 1.5 that could shoot the cover off the ball. My first thought was Ben Gordon.

I think he has a higher upside than Kerr because he's creating for himself quite a bit...he doesn't need much room to get it off.

My opinion of him has changed as the season has progressed but I could be way off base. The talent level in college basketball is as bad as I've seen it.

He looked very ordinary playing against the Mavs summer league team in July so I'm not going to totally dismiss Langdon.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:08 AM   #29
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Very true about the summer league, which is why I wouldn't pick him in the lottery if I were an NBA gm. In the summer league he wasn't really able to create anything for himself against NBA scrubs, which is why I'm kinda of leaning towards him being a catch-and-shoot type player. I think he will be better than the alaskan assassin because langdon was a complete flameout in the pros. I think Redick might be able to latch on with some team for at least a little bit longer. But make no mistake, he isn't even a 1.5, he's a 2. The kid couldn't play point guard in the NBA to save his life.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #30
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Reddick will be a lottery pick this year. I can't foresee any reason he would go lower than that. He has an amazingly smooth and consistent shot, he is a smart player, he is very clutch, and he has strong leadership qualities

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:26 AM   #31
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I'm not sure if I would call a guy who flames out every year in the tournament "very clutch". He's been a lot better at the end of games this year although he still hasn't taken over a whole bunch of games at the end - it seems like Sean Dockery comes up with as many big end-of-game shots as Redick has this year. In his first year he always seemed to play pretty horribly at the end of games as his inability to create for himself would leave him heaving prayers at the end of games that always seemed to clank the rim.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 02-13-2006, 07:47 PM   #32
VinceYoung10

VinceYoung10 will become famous soon enough

^ Do you watch Duke games? Reddick takes and makes all the tough shots for them and is s huge $$$ player.
VinceYoung10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #33
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Reddick will be a lottery pick this year. I can't foresee any reason he would go lower than that. He has an amazingly smooth and consistent shot, he is a smart player, he is very clutch, and he has strong leadership qualities
I can't think of any reason, either. The fun part about that is going to be looking back in 5 years and figuring out how many of the players taken after him in the first round are having better NBA careers. IMHO, that will be a large percentage.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #34
alby
Guru

He is has Jon Barry written all over him.

Contact Me
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #35
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceYoung10
^ Do you watch Duke games? Reddick takes and makes all the tough shots for them and is s huge $$$ player.
Yeah, the better question is do you watch them or do you just regurgitate what dookie V and the rest of ESPN throws at you? My guess is that I've watched a heck of a lot more dook games than you have. JJ Redick was largely inconsistent for the first 3 years of his career at the end of games. This year he has been better (see the North Carolina game), but it doesn't change the fact that he was pretty much invisible before then at the end of games. Not to mention he still hasn't had any big tourney performances (care to prove any counterexamples?).

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-14-2006 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #36
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
He is has Jon Barry written all over him.
Come on, he's ugly, but he's not THAT ugly.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #37
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
Come on, he's ugly, but he's not THAT ugly.
good point. the NBA should only allow one pirate in the League.

Contact Me
Old 02-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #38
Nash13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
good point. the NBA should only allow one pirate in the League.

nice.

~The Salesman
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #39
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

this has little to do with jj but just something to remember about lebrons youth and how great he is, jj is older than lebron.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #40
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Guys that aren' t freakishly athletic need college seasoning. Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler and Kwame Brown would have benefited from two or three years in college. It is a huge jump from living at home. Suddenly you are on your own. It takes a very mature individual to pull it off, and a good support group.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote