Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

View Poll Results: Is trading Terry, Daniels, a draft pick and cash considerations worth Pierce?
Yes, he brings star talent, good defense, and would put the Mavs at the next level. 48 66.67%
No, our depth is too important to the success of this team. 24 33.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #41
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
Pierce shot fifty percent from the field last season. He has his most successful season as a pro. Pierce is only 27, Jet is 26. I wouldn't do the deal if I lost Jho. You need defenders and glue guys to win titles. The mavs might have the right mix of players now.
Jet is 28, and Pierce would be a great fit for this team. IMO Pierce would be the perfect complement to Dirk or vice versa.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #42
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Pierce actually can play defense, he does it very well.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #43
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think getting pierce would be a big upgrade if it doesn't hurt our depth, we should give up like Stack or Van Horn, but ideally it would be good to keep Daniels and Howard. They are both great young players. I think Stack is expendable, we've played great without him.

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 12-07-2005 at 12:52 AM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #44
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

uh.. I am going to go out on a limb and say the celtics could get a far better offer than the one proposed here..
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:05 AM   #45
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Use the TMac deal as a reference point. To get the Truth you probably have to structure a similar deal:

Francis - All Star PG
Mobley - Solid starting two guard
Cato - Rotation center

for

TMac + bad contracts (Juwon Howard)

Sounds like:

JET
Daniels
Dampier

for

PP
Blount

That's too much to give up IMO. Instead I offer expiring KVH + Stack for PP + LaF. Boston would probably ask for Daniels & Harris instead of Stack. But again, if you believe in Harris that's too much.

A deal for PP will come down to who's competing for him. Obviously Denver is in play ... and they have a nice piece in Nene that they might be willing to move. Other teams on the cusp like GSW, Sac could be in the market as well

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #46
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

CBS sportsline player rankings have Paul Pierce as the 3rd best player in the NBA, if we can trade Terry, Daniels for him, we do it NOW.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk, Pierce, Josh, Devin, Diop...Yup...I'm in.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #48
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman
CBS sportsline player rankings have Paul Pierce as the 3rd best player in the NBA, if we can trade Terry, Daniels for him, we do it NOW.

Jesus.. ranked above whom?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #49
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Dirk, Pierce, Josh, Devin, Diop...Yup...I'm in.
So you would do Terry, Daniels and Dampier for Pierce and LaF? Wow... Seems like an awful lot to give up. And a HUGE risk. The Mavs are one of the top 3 or 5 teams in the NBA and you're going to trade three starters. That, said ... I might do that deal IF the Mavs can get a backup PG. West is probably off the table but the Cs have a former lotto pick who is in the doghouse but he's a dominate defender on the point. Marcus Banks can't run an offense and folks have questioned whether or not he will listen to his coach but he has a lot of talent.

Harris / Banks / DA
Pierce / Stack
Howard
Nowitzki / LaF
Diop

That leaves the Mavs with a rather soft ... and thin big man rotation. La Frentz would probably get 10 minutes behind Dirk and 20-25 behind Diop. So the question is whether Pierce is worth going back ot the days when Dallas = donut.

Can you stand to see Raef and his blown knees for 25 minutes per night? Can Raef's body even take those minutes? What happens when Diop and LaF get into foul trouble -- which they frequently will. Benga? Ah .... no.

I hate to say this .... because Pierce is probably my favorite player in the league... But that's too much to give up.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #50
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

V, that trade does have a huge risk in it for the Mavs, but it could also put them over the top. IMO if you have a chance to put yourself over the top you do it, especially when you receive a young superstar in return.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #51
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

the greater the risk, the greater the reward

Contact Me
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #52
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Anyone still think this is possible? It seems like too much of a long shot this year.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #53
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Disaster
Anyone still think this is possible? It seems like too much of a long shot this year.
Anything's possible...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #54
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'm not too sure I would want to see it happen. I'm afraid I've grown attached to our group of players.

On the other hand, if it means a title then pull the trigger.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #55
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

I'm with you (and I agree with Cubes); I really like our team!
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #56
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

If Denver trades for Artest or Peja, our chances to land Pierce will raise dramatically. That is IF Pierce is available...
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #57
alby
Guru

how so

Contact Me
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #58
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
If Denver trades for Artest or Peja, our chances to land Pierce will raise dramatically. That is IF Pierce is available...
I wouldn't say the chances raise...but rather the pressure to acquire the final piece will be stirred up.. Right now I believe the Mavs BT feels good about this current team vs SA as the only Rival in the West....

Artest in my estimation would put Denver ahead of SA... The Mavs would feel pressure to make a move... whether they do is speculative unless it happens...
Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #59
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Almost OT but a possible reason why Pierce might want out:

Celtics need straight talk

By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist | December 21, 2005

Once upon a time, long ago and in what now seems like a galaxy, far, far away, the Boston Celtics were good, really good. Check that. They were great.

Championships followed championships, and when there weren't championships, there were losses deep in the playoffs and there were 50-win seasons replete with thrills. People would have fist fights over just how many Celtics players deserved to be on the All-Star team (six was getting a bit greedy).

Winning was simply expected, especially at home, and we were always amused to encounter some wanna-be early-round playoff foe whose fans were all atwitter because their team had gone something like 45-37, thereby making the guy running the team a candidate for Coach of the Year.

The Celtics would toy with them, usually in five games (Game 3 would always find their home crowd slightly maniacal), and life would assume its proper course.

Never, ever during those glorious years could any of us imagine a future scenario in which the Celtics would be approaching Christmas as the only team in David Stern's world that had yet to win two games in succession.

It's the gospel truth. The Raptors have done it. The Knicks have done it. The Hawks not only have done it, but actually have turned into something of a mini-force, having won four out of five before last night's loss. Twenty-nine of the league's 30 teams have done it; that is to say, everyone but your beloved Boston Celtics, who will have an opportunity to join that non-exclusive society with a victory over the Utah Jazz at the Gahden tonight.

Two straight would not seem to be much of a task, especially when you consider that the Celtics have played 14 of their first 24 at home. But everything is a struggle for this bunch, which is on the short list of the league's most underachieving teams.

In case the Celtics don't know, it is a general rule that only seriously bad teams go this far into the season without managing at least one two-game winning streak. A sampling of such woeful squads would include the 2000-2001 Bulls (15-67), who went to games 29 and 30; the 1996-97 Grizzlies, (14-68), who went to games 43 and 44; the 2000-2001 Wizards (19-63), who went to games 31 and 32; the 1967-68 Rockets (15-67), who went to games 42 and 43; the 1980-81 Mavericks (15-67), who went to games 47 and 48; and even the 1996-97 Celtics (15-67), who lurched along without a two-game winning streak until games 30 and 31.

There is a further level of futility. It's where you would find those truly awful Dallas teams of '92-93 and '93-94, the first of which went a dizzying 11-71 and didn't win two straight until games 62 and 63; and the second of which went 13-69, winning its first two in succession in games 47 and 48. And those with long memories are hollering, ''Hey! What about the '72-73 76ers, the losingest team of them all [9-73]?" That's a fair question, and, yes, they certainly kept their fans in suspense, waiting until games 63 and 64 (with a record of 5-58) before delivering a two-game conquest of Milwaukee and Detroit. Those Sixers even stretched it out to five of seven before losing their final 15.

That brings us to the granddaddy of all modern losers. In the last 40 years, there only has been one team so spectacularly consistent in its losing ways that it found a way to maneuver through an 82-game season without once winning two games in succession. It should come as no remote surprise to NBA aficionados to hear that the team in question was one of Donald T. Sterling's finest. Other teams have lost more total games. But none have been so deft at avoiding momentum as the 1986-87 Los Angeles Clippers, whose entire victory haul consisted of 12 well-placed one-game winning ''streaks." An amusing subplot: among the chaps who suffered through this ignominious campaign was our own Cedric Maxwell (well, 35 games of it, anyway).

The Clippers won games 2, 4, 6, 19, 36, 42, 44, 48, 51, 54, 61, and 68. You'll note that little warm run in late January and early February when they won four out of nine. There was even a heart-stopping two out of three (the loss a 124-120 OT killer to San Antonio).

So, Celtics. IS THIS THE KIND OF COMPANY YOU WISH TO KEEP?

It's hard not to win two in a row sometime. Occasionally a team will exhaust all its good stuff early, somehow losing the formula. That was the case with both the 1989-90 Nets (17-65) and the expansion 1995-96 Vancouver Grizzlies (15-67), who each won their first two games before settling into their true losing ways. But with the exception of the aforementioned Clippers -- and negative Clipper records someday will occupy an entire vault at NBA headquarters -- all the horrible teams researched from 1965 on have managed to win two in a row at least once, and most of them have taken care of this necessary business before game 25, which is where the Celtics find themselves tonight.

The Celtics would not seem to fit the profile of a team incapable of winning two straight. We do not see this as a team en route to a sub-20 win season. I mean, they're halfway there already. But right now they are not a good club and it's getting high time to hold someone accountable.

Stop with the youth thing. The key players on this team are Paul Pierce (28), Ricky Davis (26, with seven-plus years of experience), Mark Blount (30), and Raef LaFrentz (29). In crunch time, one of them is going to have the ball. Of course, there are many young players around. If this team is going to accomplish anything this season, it will need help from Kendrick Perkins (21), Delonte West (22), and, of course, Al Jefferson (21 in two weeks). Throw in Marcus Banks (24), Orien Greene (23), Justin Reed (23), and Ryan Gomes (23), if you like. Yes, that's a bunch of young players. But it is the older four who are expected to make the big shots, get the big rebounds, execute the key defensive stops, and make the proper decisions in any stressful situation. And none of them have youth as an excuse.

Right now no one can ask for more in terms of production from Pierce, who is playing the best all-around ball of his career. We can't quarrel with the Davis contribution, either. Blount appears to have regained a pulse, although he still seems to regard rebounding as an imposition on his time. One big game against Houston aside, LaFrentz has to know he has been a drag. He must pick it up. As a unit, they all must. Stats don't win games. Playing basketball properly wins games, and thus far the Celtic whole is far smaller than the sum of its parts.

The Celtics were handed a gift schedule, and they did not take proper advantage of their good fortune. They have squandered their opportunity to take control of the Atlantic Division. The cold reality of their conference situation is this: Detroit, Miami, Indiana, Cleveland, and Milwaukee can all be considered playoff locks right now. That leaves the Celtics currently staring up at Chicago (I was close to making them a lock, as well), Philadelphia, and New Jersey, while finding themselves in the same basic straits as Washington. Let's say we concede a spot to Chicago. That leaves four teams fighting for two spots. After watching this team for seven weeks, are you comfortable with its chances to be one of those two?

To paraphrase Jim Mora, ''You're talking about the playoffs?" Let's see them win two in a row. Then we'll talk.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #60
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
I think with the steady improvment of Harris you can take this chance. I dont know if i include a draft pick. Terry and quis should be enough to get PP
Yes I totally agree... JET and Quis should be enough...

Maybe the Mavs are waiting to see if Stack can return to 100% from his injury...if not there will be a sizable hole at the 6th man spot...

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 12-21-2005 at 11:53 AM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #61
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I'd be willing to give up more for Pierce than most players in the league simply because I think Pierce is one of the best players in the league. I'd like to keep Dirk, Josh, and Devin. After that, I'd give anything...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:01 AM   #62
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

You'd be crazy not to give up Jet/Quis/Damp for PP. To wit:

Jet's a nice player, but he's not a true point and not a big enough 2. (Devin is ready to shine.)

Quis is really good, and I'd hate to lose him; but Pierce beats him in EVERY category.

Damp is an over-paid lug. The only thing he has going for him is size. Surely, we can find somebody servicable to play center in addition to Diop. Look who S.A. won with last year?

When has any team had two players (superstars) like Dirk and PP and not won it all at some point? Pippen/Jordan didn't need too much around them to dominate. Kobe/Shaq only needed adequate play around them to win. We'd still have plenty, and I mean PLENTY! Harris, JHO, Diop, KVH, Stack... Holy Shmoley, Batman! (Not to mention, we'd likely get back another servicable player or two to fill backup roles)

Think about it... A superstar is worth more than 3 good players, every time. And, yes, Pierce is definitely a superstar. He's right there on Dirk's level.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #63
kriD
Platinum Member

Ainge talks of need for change

It may be time to 'shake things up'

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | January 1, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge flew here from Phoenix yesterday morning, arriving in plenty of time to watch his team play the Clippers last night at Staples Center. Ainge will travel with the team to Denver for tomorrow night's game against the Nuggets. He said this scouting trip was planned long ago, but with the Celtics in disarray, the timing naturally raises suspicion.

As the Celtics continue to slump -- they had lost the first three games on the five-game trip -- a major change appears necessary. Forget all the talk of taking a step back to move forward. They are fundamentally flawed. They do not work well together on the court, no matter how many combinations coach Doc Rivers tries. Anyone who has watched Boston fail to play defense on the trip and commit turnover after turnover can see that. Ainge certainly does.

''I think the blame is on everybody," said Ainge. ''But if you can't improve defensively, if you can't improve in limiting turnovers, then you need a change in personnel. No question.

''But I can't make a decision based on what our record is. I have to do what's best for the team. I can't try to put Band-Aids on the bleeding right now. That's up to the coaches and the players to fix the defense and the turnovers. It's on them right now."

When it was pointed out that Ainge brought in Rivers and, with the notable exception of Paul Pierce, he drafted, signed, or acquired in trade all the players on the roster, Ainge said, ''It's on me, too, because of the players and coaches we have. I don't believe we've explored all the options, all the combinations on the roster. Maybe players who are not playing deserve a chance. I know Doc has tried a lot of different combinations.

''At the same time, maybe it calls to shake things up. If the players [who are on the floor] can't defend, can't take care of the ball, then the players who can deserve a chance."

Ainge made it clear it was the job of Rivers and his coaching staff to determine any lineup and rotation changes. Some might say Rivers has already made too many changes. There are few realistic combinations he has yet to try. Besides, those players shortchanged on minutes during the trip (Brian Scalabrine, Ryan Gomes, Justin Reed, Orien Greene, Al Jefferson possibly, and Raef LaFrentz until Friday's loss in Sacramento) could not possibly cure all that ails the Celtics. The problems are too big, too deep-seated.

For almost the entire season, the players have said better defense was simply a matter of trust. They needed to trust that help would be there when it was needed. Better rebounding was a matter of better effort. For almost the entire season, the players have said improved mental focus would limit turnovers.

Rivers has repeatedly said, ''There are no quick fixes."

But Ainge and everyone invested in the Celtics has a right to wonder why there has been no improvement, why defensive coverages reviewed in shootaround are not executed in games (Seattle), why calls for a timeout go unheeded in the closing seconds (Golden State), why an opponent minus three key players can win (Sacramento, 116-112) on yet another night when Boston shoots better than 50 percent and scores well over 100 points.

''I believe that all progress is the result of change," said Ainge. ''And yet not all change is progress. Daily, I look at things we've got to change. Players have got to change in their attitude, effort, game preparation, and in [willingness to] sacrifice for the team.

''Coaches may look at philosophical changes, substitutions, patterns, motivation, and developing trust on the court. Management is constantly looking at personnel changes and motivations and the whole evaluation process.

''Change is constant. But frustration and panic usually lead to the wrong kind of changes. I do see signs of hope. I do see a lot of good things happening despite our record, which nobody should be happy with."

Although Ainge is aware that the trade value of Pierce probably has never been higher (26.5 points, 8 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 39 minutes per game, 49 percent from the field), the first step toward change for the Celtics could be a long, hard look at themselves.

''I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to get better," said Ainge. ''I'm not going to panic based on this trip."

The Celtics need to find the right kind of change before the season, and not just a handful of games, is lost.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #64
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The only trade I could remotely see Dallas making, that makes sense to Boston as well is:

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Marquis Daniels
6-6 SG from Auburn
12.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.2 apg in 34.4 minutes

Erick Dampier
6-11 C from Mississippi State
5.9 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.8 minutes

Keith Van Horn
6-10 SF from Utah
10.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.3 minutes
Incoming

Mark Blount
7-0 C from Pittsburgh
12.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 29.0 minutes

Raef LaFrentz
6-11 C from Kansas
8.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 25.2 minutes

Paul Pierce
6-6 SG from Kansas
26.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 4.4 apg in 38.9 minutes
Change in team outlook: +19.1 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +2.7 apg.

Boston Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Mark Blount
7-0 C from Pittsburgh
12.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.0 apg in 29.0 minutes

Raef LaFrentz
6-11 C from Kansas
8.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 25.2 minutes

Paul Pierce
6-6 SG from Kansas
26.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 4.4 apg in 38.9 minutes
Incoming

Marquis Daniels
6-6 SG from Auburn
12.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.2 apg in 34.4 minutes

Erick Dampier
6-11 C from Mississippi State
5.9 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.8 minutes

Keith Van Horn
6-10 SF from Utah
10.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: -19.1 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -2.7 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Dallas and Boston being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Boston had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

And only if Dallas includes a first round draft pick.

I am not sure that Dallas would do it........too long of contracts to take back.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #65
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I don't think Dallas would go after a star in their best season every, such as PP's. His trade value is at an all time high. Why not go after a star with a lower trade value now, but has just as much potential? Its what NJ did for Vince last year and as soon as NJ got him he exploded across the board. He was just sick last season. This is kinda what Houston did for TMac as well. He couldn't win at all with the Magic, so he shot a lot, played a shitty brand of ball, then when Houston gets him, he is very well rounded.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #66
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I really like our team now and i dont think we should trade.
But if we did i hope we can do it without giving up Daniels.
He is a very special player.
I read that Boston wants to get "younger than young" and that they are looking for expiring contracts.
I hope we can pull a trade that involves a combo of 2 of the following KVH,Damp, Stack,and if it comes to it Jet. But i really like Jet too and as good as Harris has been i dont think he is ready to lead us like Jet..

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #67
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Pierce is a stud and I would like to have him but i just dont see it happening. Artest makes the nuggets better than the spurs???? Get off the crack man. So trading for a sf who can only play sf when their best player is a sf who can only play sf puts them ahead of the spurs??? Ummmmm no. NEITHER Melo nor Artest can play anything other than the 3 for extened periods of time. Neither is quick enough for the 2 or big enough for the 4.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #68
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I would really entertain getting Pierce, I also think he is a stud and in a situation like dallas would flourish. He doesn't seem to be a ball hog to me and I like his game.

It would also be kind of cool to have dirk/pierce roasting the league as the two guys in the draft which are most connected. Pretty neat.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #69
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

It is kinda interesting that the 2 best players in that draft went in the back to back with the best player going first but that it started at #9 instead of #1.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #70
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

Ainge talks of need for change

It may be time to 'shake things up'
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | January 1, 2006

LOS ANGELES -- Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge flew here from Phoenix yesterday morning, arriving in plenty of time to watch his team play the Clippers last night at Staples Center. Ainge will travel with the team to Denver for tomorrow night's game against the Nuggets. He said this scouting trip was planned long ago, but with the Celtics in disarray, the timing naturally raises suspicion.

As the Celtics continue to slump -- they had lost the first three games on the five-game trip -- a major change appears necessary. Forget all the talk of taking a step back to move forward. They are fundamentally flawed. They do not work well together on the court, no matter how many combinations coach Doc Rivers tries. Anyone who has watched Boston fail to play defense on the trip and commit turnover after turnover can see that. Ainge certainly does.
''I think the blame is on everybody," said Ainge. ''But if you can't improve defensively, if you can't improve in limiting turnovers, then you need a change in personnel. No question.
''But I can't make a decision based on what our record is. I have to do what's best for the team. I can't try to put Band-Aids on the bleeding right now. That's up to the coaches and the players to fix the defense and the turnovers. It's on them right now."

When it was pointed out that Ainge brought in Rivers and, with the notable exception of Paul Pierce, he drafted, signed, or acquired in trade all the players on the roster, Ainge said, ''It's on me, too, because of the players and coaches we have. I don't believe we've explored all the options, all the combinations on the roster. Maybe players who are not playing deserve a chance. I know Doc has tried a lot of different combinations.

''At the same time, maybe it calls to shake things up. If the players [who are on the floor] can't defend, can't take care of the ball, then the players who can deserve a chance."

Ainge made it clear it was the job of Rivers and his coaching staff to determine any lineup and rotation changes. Some might say Rivers has already made too many changes. There are few realistic combinations he has yet to try. Besides, those players shortchanged on minutes during the trip (Brian Scalabrine, Ryan Gomes, Justin Reed, Orien Greene, Al Jefferson possibly, and Raef LaFrentz until Friday's loss in Sacramento) could not possibly cure all that ails the Celtics. The problems are too big, too deep-seated.

For almost the entire season, the players have said better defense was simply a matter of trust. They needed to trust that help would be there when it was needed. Better rebounding was a matter of better effort. For almost the entire season, the players have said improved mental focus would limit turnovers.
Rivers has repeatedly said, ''There are no quick fixes."

But Ainge and everyone invested in the Celtics has a right to wonder why there has been no improvement, why defensive coverages reviewed in shootaround are not executed in games (Seattle), why calls for a timeout go unheeded in the closing seconds (Golden State), why an opponent minus three key players can win (Sacramento, 116-112) on yet another night when Boston shoots better than 50 percent and scores well over 100 points.

''I believe that all progress is the result of change," said Ainge. ''And yet not all change is progress. Daily, I look at things we've got to change. Players have got to change in their attitude, effort, game preparation, and in [willingness to] sacrifice for the team.
''Coaches may look at philosophical changes, substitutions, patterns, motivation, and developing trust on the court. Management is constantly looking at personnel changes and motivations and the whole evaluation process.
''Change is constant. But frustration and panic usually lead to the wrong kind of changes.

I do see signs of hope. I do see a lot of good things happening despite our record, which nobody should be happy with."
Although Ainge is aware that the trade value of Pierce probably has never been higher (26.5 points, 8 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 39 minutes per game, 49 percent from the field), the first step toward change for the Celtics could be a long, hard look at themselves.

''I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to get better," said Ainge. ''I'm not going to panic based on this trip."
The Celtics need to find the right kind of change before the season, and not just a
handful of games, is lost.

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar.../]REAL GM LINK

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 01-01-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #71
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

Maybe there is still hope for PP....
Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #72
kriD
Platinum Member

bird, take a look at post #63
Old 01-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #73
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

More Pierce talks in the Boston Herald today.

Quote:
If the Celtics don’t turn their dismal season around, Paul Pierce can picture himself in another uniform before the Feb. 23 trade deadline.

And he wouldn’t mind winding up with a contender.

“It’s something I’d give a lot of thought to,” Pierce said before scoring 32 points in last night’s 104-102 Celtics’ loss to the Mavericks at TD Banknorth Garden.

Statistically, Pierce is having his best season.

“But I’d rather have a season like this when we’re winning,” he said.

“A career is defined by winning games and championships.”

Pierce, 28, and in his eighth season, said he feels he’s running out of time. “I’m not getting any younger,” Pierce said. “(A trade) is something I’d give a lot of thought to.”

Pierce said he might lobby for a trade himself or it could be instigated by Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

Pierce entered last night’s game averaging 26.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists. He’s shooting just under 50 percent.

Some teams would consider Pierce just what they needed in order to make a deep playoff run.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #74
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Howard/KVH/No. 1

FOR

Pierce/Blount

Get 'er done, Cuban.

Last edited by kg_veteran; 01-10-2006 at 11:47 AM.
kg_veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #75
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I would like the upgrade to Pierce but I would prefer to try and trade KVH for PJ Brown instead. I think PJ would actually be the missing piece to a championship.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #76
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Howard/KVH/No. 1

FOR

Pierce/Blount

Get 'er done, Cuban.
bye bye jho. take charmin with you.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #77
kriD
Platinum Member

Pierce’s first move would be to remain

By Steve Bulpett [Boston Herald]

ATLANTA — Paul Pierce insisted last night his first choice is to remain with the Celtics. Responding to a report in yesterday’s paper quoting him as saying he would be open to a trade if the club approached him, the captain moved to clarify his position last night.

“I said everything in there, but not everything I said got put in,” Pierce said before scoring 27 points in the Celtics’ 98-94 win over the Hawks last night. “I also said I wanted to stay with the Celtics my whole career. I was asked if I would be open to a trade if the Celtics approach me. I just said as a businessman you have to. I have no choice if they come to me. But I’m not going to them.

“If I’m approached with it, of course I’m going to be open. I mean, it’s a business. If the Celtics come to me. . . . but it’s not a situation where I’m going to go to the Celtics. I love being here. I’ve been here my whole career, and I told y’all before, if I could stay with one team my entire career that’s what I would want to do.”

Pierce said he was merely being realistic if presented with the possibility the team would want to move him.

“I mean, what player in the league in my position hasn’t done that?” he said. “You explore your options. It’s the same situation Jason Kidd was in when he was a free agent and he had a chance to go to San Antonio or stay. You get put in different situations. I feel like the rest of the players. I’m going to weigh my options, but, like I said, I don’t want to be a player that’s playing for numerous teams. If I could stay with the Celtics my entire career, then I would love to.”

The issue of a roster change has come to the forefront because the Celtics had lost 7-of-9 games entering last night’s affair.

“I think it’s natural to be frustrated,” Pierce said. “I’m not the only one. All these guys want to win, and when you see how close we are — a possession away in a lot of games — yeah, it’s frustrating for everybody. I’m giving this team as much as I can for as long as I can.

“What you’ve got to understand is I’m frustrated with losing just like everybody else. But I came into this season with the mindset that maybe we might be a young, growing team with our inconsistencies. I didn’t expect us to be at this record, but I expected the inconsistencies from a young and growing team. We have a lot of young and new players that are still trying to find their niche in the league.”

Doc Rivers wasn’t putting much stock in Pierce’s words from the day before.

“I think Paul wants to be a Celtic,” the coach said. “I think he wants to stay here.”

Last edited by kriD; 01-11-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 AM   #78
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

DP...

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 01-11-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #79
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
I would like the upgrade to Pierce but I would prefer to try and trade KVH for PJ Brown instead. I think PJ would actually be the missing piece to a championship.
100% agree...what a great veteran role player to add to our team to go behind dirk and get a "bigger" lineup defensively with damp/diop.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #80
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Howard/KVH/No. 1

FOR

Pierce/Blount

Get 'er done, Cuban.
I like Howard and I like the idea of holding the team together for chemistry reasons, but if presented with this deal, Cuban needs to pull the trigger on it before he takes another breath.

Dirk/Pierce tandem would be an incredible force to reckon with for the next 3-4 years at the least. With Harris & Daniels as guards, the 3D centers and Stack and Jet to come off the bench, this would be a perfect recipe for a nice little dynasty.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote