Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler will become famous soon enough
Default KG to Dallas

Did anybody hear the trade scenerio that Sefko threw out between Dallas and Minny?

Dallas sends Howard, Daniels, and Van Horn

Minny sends Garnett and Hassell

...I don't know what NY is offering Minny for Garnett but I don't think NY could offer a better deal. I would hate to lose Howard, but if there was a way to get Garnett without touching our PG or C positions then I'm all over that trade.

Thoughts?
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

I would think Minn would want something that could help them more in the long term. After next season they could be left with just Marquis to show for KG - bad idea.

I don't want to see Dallas make any moves this season, period.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to do it. Also Skin threw out a Diop, Howard, Harris trade as well.

I think I have to do that too.

However I would be interested in discussing how that would work before I did. Dirk/KG have to be on the floor together and one of them it would seem would have to play the 5. I don't see either playing the 3 defensively(??)
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

is there any credibility to this

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I would ask questions later. KG and Dirk would be a match up nightmare on the floor. Vanhorn, howard, harris and Diop for KG. Minnesota can start over with three young players and cap relief.

Daniels could play the three.

Terry
Stackhouse
Daniels
KG
Dirk

I would go to war with that team. Probably just a pipe dream.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wanted to get KG here, just wondering if there was any truth to this...

Contact Me
Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I've always wanted to get KG here, just wondering if there was any truth to this...
Nope, these arent rumors, just ideas.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

If the Mavs did this, I would move to another city. This has to be the worst idea I have ever heard.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

were talking about giving up posibly Harris, Howard, Daniels, and Diop. that is the future of our team, and we want to give them up to play fantasy basketball?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Yet another worthless KG to Dallas thread. I guess the previous 192 weren't enough.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just talk that is being thrown out there by the media. I don't take any of it seriously to be honest. Also no on is saying all four of those guys but three. Howard/Harris are the only ones that make me think twice.

However I also think you have to determine how you want dirk/kg to play together. If you can't figure it out, you shouldn't do it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #12
JetFutofMavs

JetFutofMavs is on a distinguished road

I would do a deal aslong as it didn't include both Howard and Harris. KG could without a doubt play the center position. Obviously you don't want to give up too much of your future, but to just completely disregard the possibility of Dirk and KG playing together would be a huge mistake.
JetFutofMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I dismiss it. They would clash together. A team can only have so many All stars, eh eh, the Lakers of a few years back. It wouldn't work out. Besides, I don't want to get rid of either Harris, or Howard. No deals.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I really think the main thing I dismiss is giving up the young ones. I just can't think of giving them up.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
JetFutofMavs

JetFutofMavs is on a distinguished road

KVH, Daniels, and Terry for Garnett and Jaric also works. Minny may want to get out of the 5-year contract they currently have with him. This way they get instant cap relief from Terry and KVH this summer, and also get a young gun to work with in Daniels. It may not be enough, but I'd definitely be willing to throw in some draft picks and cash considerations.

Our potential lineup:

Devin/ Jaric/ Armstrong
Stackhouse/ Jaric
Howard/ Powell
Dirk/ DJ
KG/ Damp / Diop

Pipe dreaming...I know.

Last edited by JetFutofMavs; 02-22-2006 at 09:40 PM.
JetFutofMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #16
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Jaric and daniels are basically the same player. Thus you have kg for terry and kvh in the previous idea. You jump on that in a heartbeat. I would do any deal that didnt involve both howard and harris but this isnt happening guys. Kg and dirk will never play together unless it is when both are old and shells of their former selves. BTW sixeight, the mavs have only one all star. Thusly trading for one more isnt something to be worried about under the two many all stars idea. Its when you get to more than 2 or maybe 3 that you get to problems. 2 is the perfect number. Again though, that said, this aint happening.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

We don't live in absolutes. Kareem was traded, Wilt Chamberlin was traded. Hell even Shaq was traded. The Heat were a team that was a first round and out. Suddenly they are and were contenders.

The mavs have the assets to get a deal done.

A rumor on a phoenix news station was the phoenix was trading for KG. It would involve Marion, Barbosa, and Kurt Thomas. Subsequently this was before Marion went off for 40+. Chances are Minnesota is at least thinking about dealing KG.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they will trade him but not until the offseason.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk and KG wouldn't clash..they have way too much respect for each other. They would compliment each other quite nicely...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #20
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I think they will trade him but not until the offseason.
If that's true, KG will probably want to go to a championship team. Conveniently, we will be the most recent example of said championship team. Let's make it happen.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 AM   #21
alby
Guru

Dirk/KG would be something to watch...

I'm totally happy and satisfied with our squad right now, but i'm just saying... wow

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 02-24-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #22
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Minnasota will never trade KG to Dallas or any other top western conference team...
KG will head east.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki_prophecy
Minnasota will never trade KG to Dallas or any other top western conference team...
KG will head east.
I agree. He'd probably end up with the Knicks or the Heat!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
I agree. He'd probably end up with the Knicks or the Heat!
For some reason I see the Wizards wanting to play a role in the upcoming offseason. They have some very solid pieces (Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Daniels, Jeffries, Haywood) but they haven't been very successful in the playoffs over the past few years. I'm entirely just tossing this out there (dunno about salaries) but Arenas + Jeffries for KG? Arenas + someone for KG...Gilbert has really impressed me this year with his play and with his attitude and his talent seems wasted in Washington unless they do something drastic. Then again who knows when you've got a guy like Thomas sitting in a GM chair. Frye + Francis + Crawford...Rose + Francis + Frye...

Looking at the Knicks roster makes me kind of sick...
Old 02-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #25
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
For some reason I see the Wizards wanting to play a role in the upcoming offseason. They have some very solid pieces (Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Daniels, Jeffries, Haywood) but they haven't been very successful in the playoffs over the past few years. I'm entirely just tossing this out there (dunno about salaries) but Arenas + Jeffries for KG? Arenas + someone for KG...Gilbert has really impressed me this year with his play and with his attitude and his talent seems wasted in Washington unless they do something drastic. Then again who knows when you've got a guy like Thomas sitting in a GM chair. Frye + Francis + Crawford...Rose + Francis + Frye...

Looking at the Knicks roster makes me kind of sick...
I doubt if KG would want to go there if Arenas is gone.

NY is the biggest market and have LB (although I think he's the most overrated coach!). Miami have Shaq, Wade and Riley. Both those teams seem like ideal for KG. Another team that he may choose to go may be the Nets due to Kidd and VC.

It'll be interesting to follow this story, this off-season.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:27 PM   #26
jayC
Diamond Member

The Pistons could be a team that could pull it off. They have multiple all-stars and a high draft pick. The Pistons will have to reload in a few years.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #27
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
The Pistons could be a team that could pull it off. They have multiple all-stars and a high draft pick. The Pistons will have to reload in a few years.
That would be very interesting to see. But for some reason I feel like, if the Pistons team were to be broken up, that none of them would be legitimate All-Stars again (aside, I guess, from Ben Wallace). Their games are all pretty good within the Detroit system but separated? Can you really see Rip or Chauncey or Rasheed or Ben or Prince supporting a team on their own or in some combination (Rip & Chauncey, 'Sheed & Chauncey, etc.). 'Sheed proved he couldn't do it alone, and Detroit was good but not great without him (even with the original pieces in place). Just a thought.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-26-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #28
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
I doubt if KG would want to go there if Arenas is gone.

NY is the biggest market and have LB (although I think he's the most overrated coach!). Miami have Shaq, Wade and Riley. Both those teams seem like ideal for KG. Another team that he may choose to go may be the Nets due to Kidd and VC.

It'll be interesting to follow this story, this off-season.

Yeah I agree, if the Wiz could pull off some sort of trade with Jamison + another piece, I think that'd be a pretty decent situation for KG to go into. KG + Arenas, with a pretty solid big man in Haywood, would be an OK team. But yeah, I don't really see it happening.

Definitely agree that LB is an overrated coach.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #29
alby
Guru

Saunders + KG = first round playoff loss.

Contact Me
Old 02-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say that have no desire to ever see Kevin Garnett and Dirk Nowitzki on the same team. They are both power forwards, period. Dirk is NOT a small forward. Does he play like one? Sure, but that's precisely what makes him the most offensively potent power forward in the NBA. Neither are effective at center, and neither are quick enough to stay with most of the threes in this league. If the Wolves ever do trade Garnett, I seriously doubt it will be to any western conference team, let alone the best one.

Enough with this pointless KG talk already. Folks, it just ain't gonna happen. And you know what? That's a GOOD thing!
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Well I don't really care about the trade talk, but I do enjoy a discussion on how they would play together. I would see difficulties as well, someone would have to play center. As center in this much-maligned and basically seems to be de-volving into someone who takes the brunt of poor perimeter defense, I'm not sure they fit at all together.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #32
alby
Guru

I don't see how KG can not play center?

Contact Me
Old 02-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #33
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't see how KG can not play center?
While he's probably more mobile than any 5 out there and he's a great passer, KG is just not big enough (width-wise, not height-wise). KG weighs in at 220, while a comparable player like Duncan weighs in at 260. Concurrently, Damp weighs in at 265, Nesterovic at 255, Mihm at 265, etc. etc. I think most centers are at least in the >250 lbs. range. If KG had to bang down low with all these bigger, stronger big men night in and night out, (1) it would take him out of his game (which is more perimeter-oriented than most people think) and (2) it would wear him down as the season went on. Also, with Dirk at the 4 and KG at the 5, we don't really have a legitimate post presence (KG is much more of a weak-side shotblocker). Another thing that I think KG would struggle with is that chunkier (albeit slower) centers such as Damp can set great picks with relative ease, Damp can clog the lane as well as block out for rebounds simply using his girth. Since KG is a smaller guy (bone structure, nothing you can do about that) he would be at a serious disadvantage.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #34
alby
Guru

If you haven't watched the NBA in the last 10 years, Kevin Garnett does not play like he is 220 pounds.

Furthermore, can you name those "chunky" centers that will be still prominent in this league in the next 5-10 years?

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 02-26-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #35
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Garnett has played SF in the past and with he there, Dirk at PF, Howard moved to SG, and Terry at PG, DAL would have 4 guys on the floor capable of hitting the 3-pointer. Garnett, Dirk, and Diop/Dampier at SF, PF, and C respectively would also give DAL 3 guys on the floor great at rebounding and blocking shots. Our post-D would be awesome. Also, Garnett at SF would produce height mismatches against smaller SF's, and he has the agility to defend smaller quicker SF's too.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #36
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you haven't watched the NBA in the last 10 years, Kevin Garnett does not play like he is 220 pounds.

Furthermore, can you name those "chunky" centers that will be still prominent in this league in the next 5-10 years?
If you haven't watched the NBA in the last 10 years, Kevin Garnett typically does not play against players who weigh more than 250 lbs (with some exceptions such as TD, Brand). So whether or not he plays like he is 220 lbs. is entirely irrelevant because you are the one introducing the hypothetical situation of him playing center (in your original post). As he has never consistently played center in the league, both your points that (1) he doesn't play like he is 220 lbs., and (2) whether or not I have watched the NBA in the past 10 years (I have) are frivolous. Just food for thought, think about who covers KG from the opposing team, and think about who KG covers when he's playing defense. If we changed his defender from a PF to a C on a night-in, night-out basis (as you suggest, putting KG at C), would it force his game to change significantly? Yes. Would he be as successful as he is today? We don't know, maybe he would. Similar, but more important question, if we forced him to guard opposing big men who have a significant size and strength advantage night-in, night-out, would he be as successful as he is today? We don't know. I contend that he would not, see my previous post for reasons why.

Your next question, can I name any 'chunky' centers who will be prominent in this league for the next 5-10 years? Firstly, the term chunky was obviously used as a reference to their relative size advantage over Garnett. While only 1-2 inches taller than him, these C are typically in excess of 20-40 lbs. heavier. Hence I used the colloquial term 'chunky'. With regards to your actual question, I sincerely hope you're kidding - do you honestly believe KG will be a force in 5-10 years? He was born in 1976, he's not as young as you think he is. Even though the rationale behind your question is clearly fragmented, I'll answer it assuming your time frame maxes out at around 5 years (All of the below players are either 1-2 years Garnett's senior, or many years his junior):

Okur - 249 lbs
Kaman - 265
Miller - 261
Bogut - 245
Haywood - 263
Dampier - 265
Brezec - 252
Krstic - 240
Mihm - 265
Gadzuric - 240
Thomas - 260
Pachulia - 265

Hope that answers your question, alby.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-26-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #37
alby
Guru

Please calm down, I'm sorry if I offended you.. I detected some anger in your post

anyways, thats a good list you came up with

But, if you don't believe that KG can guard any of them then we will forever fundamentally disagree

Contact Me
Old 02-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #38
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Please calm down, I'm sorry if I offended you.. I detected some anger in your post

anyways, thats a good list you came up with

But, if you don't believe that KG can guard any of them then we will forever fundamentally disagree
Sorry about that, it's a Lazy Sunday.

It's not that I don't think KG can defend them, I too believe that he is versatile enough to do so. I just feel that his overall game would suffer from having to bang down low with bigger guys, possibly to the point where his career might be shortened. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever know the true answer to that (as much as I would like to, I don't see KG coming here).
Old 02-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #39
alby
Guru

Frontcourt players generally last longer than those in the perimeter fyi

Contact Me
Old 02-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #40
jayC
Diamond Member

KG can guard small forwards. It has been only recently that he made the move to powerforward. The mavs could easily start Terry, Daniels, KG and Dirk.