Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default X&O's analyzes the mavs new offense

As some may know I'm a big fan of this blog. So I emailed the author and asked if he'd take a peak at the new mavs offense as it compared to Avery's offense.

So he wrote me back and said he'd look at it and here is it. Nice stuff as usual from this blog. More at the link.
http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot....h-offense.html
Quote:
I received an email from a Mavs fan who wanted to know a little more about the new offense that they will be running now that Rick Carlisle is the new head coach and a full season with Jason Kidd running the point. So I went ahead and got a copy of one of their preseason games, this one against the Bulls earlier in the week and took a look.

The new look Mavs will definitely look a lot different than the old Mavs under Avery Johnson. I think for the better. One of the things with the Jason Kidd trade was that it was mid-season and so the old Mavs offense really didn't fit Kidd's strengths. If you run a lot of isos in either the low or high post, you're really not using Kidd's strengths which is passing to cutters. What the Mavs are running now is a lot of sets out of the 2-3 high set. So they bring the entire frontcourt to the high-post and elbows and run a lot of stuff underneath. IMO, this is ideal for a player like Kidd, because Kidd is the kind of point guard that can find guys cutting to the basket and you bring the defense out of the painted area. Take a look,
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 10-26-2008 at 10:07 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

I'm just happy to see motion...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Nice link. Thanks, Dude.

It's easy to see how much more motion there is in the offense now and I'm absolutely loving it.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I just love watching JKidd watch cutters...its seriously a man crush.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Thanks for the post, very basic basketball, when I was coaching, I used the 1-4 high also. What it does it creates offense, some times quick, or sometimes slow. Getting on the same page is the most difficult thing. The perfect counter to this is the zone. To counteract the zone, you basically have to mesmorize the defense, especially the weakside defense. Team's without patience or a passer like Kidd or a shooter like Dirk will struggle.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote