Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
Floppy

Floppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of lightFloppy is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2014 Offseason Thread

So who do you want the Mavs to sign at Small Forward and Center ?

I want Gortat and Ariza .

I think we should go for Ariza regardless because of his defense and 3 point shooting but at Center we could be ok with several

Gortat
Chandler
Sanders
Monroe
Asik

Last edited by Floppy; 06-02-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I would really like Ariza, but I think he's almost certainly staying with the Wizards. After him, my #1 target is PJ Tucker.

For centers, I'd really like to trade for Hibbert... he's my top choice at the position. If that doesn't work out, I'd love to take Asik off the Rockets' hands.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Gordon Heyward and Larry Sanders.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe the title should be available rather than free agent, considering half your targets aren't fas
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

If we're talking about unrestricted free agents, then it's a pretty straightforward list:

SF: Deng, Ariza
C: Gortat, Okafor (depending on health)

The rest of the UFA crop isn't really much of an upgrade over Marion/Dalembert... I mean, you could add a guy like Pierce or Hawes for a different look, but those guys don't fix anything that's wrong with this team... I fully expect a trade or two to go down this summer, possibly one involving Calderon. In which case, we might consider unrestricted point guards as well...

PG: Lowry, Livingston

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

In order of importance...

SF: Carmelo, Hayward, or Deng
C: Tyson, Gortat, Highest draft pick 1st round center we can get, or Okafur.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that one FA option that I've seen brought up here that I don't really care for is Gordon Hayward. I like him as a player, and I'd welcome him here to be the 5th option (either as a platoon starter or a big-time bench option) but in that role, we can't afford him. He's honestly probably going to be getting at least $10M per year, and to me he isn't a "take this to the next level" kind of guy. He scores relatively well (though with decreasing efficiency as his role increases) and is a good rebounder for his position (at least according to the eye test... percentages probably disprove this but w/e) but he is not any good defensively and isn't the kind of guy that can carry your offense once every handful of games. On a bad team he can do that, but if we're bringing him here, it needs to be at like $6-7M per year with a defined role to play.

I get the feeling there will be at least one team offering him big-time money for a big-time role. Maybe Utah matches, or maybe he ends up where I'm expecting... Philly.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #8
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

Deng and Chandler. The only way to offset the horrible perimeter defense we have.
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

SF-Deng, but I like the idea of PJ Tucker(is he available?)

Center-Hibbert if we can secure Deng in the process. If too expensive:

Tier 1
Monroe
Chandler
Gortat

Tier 2
Sanders
Okafor
Old 06-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Why anyone would want a defensive sf who hurts the offense(deng) and an offensive center who hurts the defense(Monroe) is beyond me. If you are going to do offense/defense, the 5 is the most important defensive position
Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I will say that one FA option that I've seen brought up here that I don't really care for is Gordon Hayward. I like him as a player, and I'd welcome him here to be the 5th option (either as a platoon starter or a big-time bench option) but in that role, we can't afford him. He's honestly probably going to be getting at least $10M per year, and to me he isn't a "take this to the next level" kind of guy. He scores relatively well (though with decreasing efficiency as his role increases) and is a good rebounder for his position (at least according to the eye test... percentages probably disprove this but w/e) but he is not any good defensively and isn't the kind of guy that can carry your offense once every handful of games. On a bad team he can do that, but if we're bringing him here, it needs to be at like $6-7M per year with a defined role to play.

I get the feeling there will be at least one team offering him big-time money for a big-time role. Maybe Utah matches, or maybe he ends up where I'm expecting... Philly.
I like how you posed a question and answered it in the same post... What Hayward can offer us vs. what we need vs. what he'll likely cost pretty much eliminates him from the conversation.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
SF-Deng, but I like the idea of PJ Tucker(is he available?)

Center-Hibbert if we can secure Deng in the process. If too expensive:

Tier 1
Monroe
Chandler
Gortat

Tier 2
Sanders
Okafor
Yeah, PJ Tucker is a UFA, so he's available... Hadn't given him much thought, but he wouldn't be a bad fallback behind Deng/Ariza.

As for Hibbert - he isn't any more expensive salary-wise than Chandler, so the real issue is going to be what we can offer in a trade... And unless Indy is interested in Calderon, then the answer is probably "not enough."

Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Why anyone would want a defensive sf who hurts the offense(deng) and an offensive center who hurts the defense(Monroe) is beyond me. If you are going to do offense/defense, the 5 is the most important defensive position
Deng would hurt our offense? Did you see Marion out there?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Underdog

Quote:
I don't get why you keep talking-down Deng's offense... Dude was the 56th-highest scorer in the league after getting traded to a crappy Cavs squad, which puts him in the same ballpark as Chris Bosh, Gordon Hayward and Gerald Green - all guys who are known more for their offense than their defense. Hell, he even averaged more PPG than Greg Monroe.

If we were fortunate enough to land him, he'd be our best defender and third-best scorer. I absolutely do not understand your dislike for the guy.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-03-2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Deng would hurt our offense? Did you see Marion out there?
One HUGE difference between them is ball handling. Deng can create off the dribble, drive, and just has a smoothness to his handling that Marion could never dream of.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

I would really like for the Mavericks to go after Luol Deng this summer. Heard reports he is interested playing for the Mavs. I would also like for Dallas to go after Greg Monroe, but that all depends if the Pistons are interested in matching his offers, and I am pretty sure alot of other teams are going after Greg Monroe. The other options at Center for Dallas would be Emeka Okafor, Marcin Gortat. Emeka is a great shot blocker, his defense will help the Mavs, Marcin Gortat is a good low post threat and rebounder, and Greg Monroe is a big body post machine who is a good passer. And if Luol Deng don't come to Dallas, Trevor Ariza should be a player we SHOULD REALLY look at. Trevor Ariza is athletic, good defender and 3pt shooter. I can imagine a fast break situation with Monta Ellis, Jose Calderon, Trevor Ariza, and Brandan Wright
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
spreedom
Diamond Member

FWIW I believe PJ Tucker will likely be a RFA this summer. Suns can tender him a qualifying offer.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
FWIW I believe PJ Tucker will likely be a RFA this summer. Suns can tender him a qualifying offer.
Yep, upon further review, that looks to be correct (my bad for using Hoopshype as a reference)... The qualifying offer is only $1.1MM, but I don't think the Mavs are going to wait around to see if the Suns match any deal for a player of his caliber while guys like Deng and Ariza are still available.

For that matter, I doubt the Mavs are looking at ANY restricted free agents this summer, so scratch Bledsoe, Hayward, Turner, etc. off the list too.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-03-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

I'd also add that deng was a .503 true shooting % player in Cleveland and is only at .525 for his career. Add that to the fact that he will very rarely get to do what he's best at on offense (18 foot isos) and concerns about his offense seem warranted to me. And remember that even after his offense broke down this year Shawn still shot a .537 ts% that would have been the 3rd highest of dengs career.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 06-03-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Chandler Parsons is going to be a restricted free agent. I'd now consider him. Along with re-signing Marion as his backup. While Vince comeback for cheap.

Last edited by yahyes; 06-03-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 AM   #21
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Chandler Parsons is going to be a restricted free agent. I'd now consider him. Along with re-signing Marion as his backup. While Vince comeback for cheap.
I hate houston. One of their big FA mentioned going after in the off season was Dirk. Good luck with that. But I'd take parsons for sure.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm guessing Chandler is going to get at least one $12M+ offer in free agency... that's probably more than I'd really like to pay him but he would look great in Mavs blue.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hell no to Parsons...totally overrated because his defense is pretty bad. We cant afford his D with Jose/Monta/Dirk on the roster allready. And his pricetag is too high.

Deng or Ariza it is at SF...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #24
yahyes
Banned

Parsons still has a whole lot of game left in his career to mold. He's a decent drive to the basket player. And a solid shooter. If Carlisle can have him work on rebounding. It could be a great signing. Not to mention him and Dirk are friends I read. You could also shift him at PF while having Marion play at Sf off the branch.

Wouldn't it mesh better by signing Gortat too? I even think Stephenson can be in the mix to add more defensive presence.

Monta, Lance, Parsons, Dirk, and Dalembert

Or

Jose, Monta, Parsons, Dirk, and Gortat

Last edited by yahyes; 06-04-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Hell no to Parsons...totally overrated because his defense is pretty bad. We cant afford his D with Jose/Monta/Dirk on the roster allready. And his pricetag is too high.

Deng or Ariza it is at SF...
Ariza should be out of the mix now that Parsons is available to make an offer to.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Ariza should be out of the mix now that Parsons is available to make an offer to.
They are completely different players
Old 06-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The difference between UFA and RFA is huge as well.

This summer is going to need a surgical strike and we aren't going to get it done by offering Parsons 10+ mill and then talking with a few other guys, saying, "if Parsons falls through..."

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-04-2014 at 03:28 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #28
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

I am pretty sure the Mavericks are not getting Chandler Parsons. I will be really shocked if the Rockets don't pick up Chandler Parson's contract. I strongly believe that Trevor Ariza and Luol Deng are better options for Mavs because of their defense. I like Chandler Parsons game, but I rather have Trevor and Luol
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #29
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
I will be really shocked if the Rockets don't pick up Chandler Parson's contract.
Rockets To Decline Chandler Parsons’ Option, Leaving Room For A Third Max-Contract

Last edited by Underdog; 06-04-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't he one of the big reasons Dwight chose Houston?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Wasn't he one of the big reasons Dwight chose Houston?
Apparently... But a lot can change in a year.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #32
Popeye

Popeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to beholdPopeye is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If we're talking about unrestricted free agents, then it's a pretty straightforward list:

SF: Deng, Ariza
C: Gortat, Okafor (depending on health)
CJ Miles.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #33
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Yes. But if it were up to me. Parsons would be the clear choice out of the two.

Last edited by yahyes; 06-04-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #34
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets declining Parsons for the sole reason to be able to throw almost max at Carmella after moving Lin and Asik. The second carmella is off the market they are going to offer parsons a longterm contract.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-05-2014 at 06:49 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #35
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta give 'em credit...go big or go home.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #36
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Rockets declining Parsons for the sole reason to be able to throw almost max at Carmella after moving Lin and Asik. The second carmella is off the market they are going to offer parsons a longterm contract.
Totally agree with this. This is my list of players that are NOT going anywhere so might as well start looking for others

Carmelo - he's not leaving NY because it's NY and they just got Phil Jackson
Hibbert - Bird will not trade him. You don't trade arguably the 2nd best center in the league even after having a horrible playoffs when he still relatively young
Gortat - Washington just made a very good playoff run with a young and VERY exciting backcourt
Parsons - As above, once Carmelo resigns in NY, Houston will offer big money to him
Lebron - Not going anywhere because playing for Miami in the East is absolutely the easiest road to the Finals in the last 20 years of NBA that I've been watching

Doubtful that these players leave or we should chase
Ariza - i think he stays in Wash for same reasons as Gortat. Would have to seriously overpay him to get him here.
Monroe - Pistons already talking that they want him back. I don't see him leaving on his own.
Kyle Lowrey - I would really bet on Toronto offering him more $$$ than we could
Okafur - you guys do realize he didn't play at all last year with a neck injury/surgery, right?

My list of players to chase mostly in order of importance ...
Deng - should be our #1 target as a UFA
Lance - would be awesome to trade Jose for him
Chandler - give Phil a call to see if there is any possibility, but i seriously doubt it
Thabo Sefolosha - I think we have a legit shot at him. He could easily go back to being a stellar defender and very good 3 point shooter.
Pau Gasol - i still think he can play both C and PF with Dirk and Sam. Depends on how much $$$
Spencer Hawes - depending on $$$, him and Sam would be a decent C rotation ... hopefully.
PJ Tucker - i like him but he's looking for his first big payday, so I expect him to be overpaid by a bad team
Jordan Hill - i would really like changing BWright for this guy. He hustles, rebounds, and defends. All the things Wright does not do while doing what Wright does do to a smaller degree.

Last edited by MavzMan; 06-05-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spell check ftw
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #37
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Okafur - you guys do realize he didn't play at all last year with a neck injury/surgery, right?
This is one of the reasons why so many of us are interested in him. He has been a stud defensive center for his entire career, and with his injury there is huge "buy low" potential on him. He's really been under the radar whereas if he was healthy this past season, I think he'd be looking at $10M per year on the open market. If we're willing to roll the dice on his health we could get a huge free agent bargain.

He's like 4th or 5th on my wish list because of potential lingering injury issues, but if we work him out and he looks like he's good to go, I'd be very happy to have him as our starting center next season, provided we had a contingency quality backup.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #38
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I guess I haven't watched much of Okafor and don't really know his game that well. To me, he's another undersized C at 6'10" and 255 lbs but he's also not that athletic and plays under the rim. His blocks are average at best and his points has steadily gone down the last 6 years. Granted he's 30 years old which could be considered in his prime especially for a center, but you really gotta convince me he's worth $10 mill a year after all that and coming off a very serious injury where he didn't plan a single game. I was actually thinking more along the lines of Sam Dalembert money honestly, like $3-5 mill.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
I guess I haven't watched much of Okafor and don't really know his game that well. To me, he's another undersized C at 6'10" and 255 lbs but he's also not that athletic and plays under the rim. His blocks are average at best and his points has steadily gone down the last 6 years. Granted he's 30 years old which could be considered in his prime especially for a center, but you really gotta convince me he's worth $10 mill a year after all that and coming off a very serious injury where he didn't plan a single game. I was actually thinking more along the lines of Sam Dalembert money honestly, like $3-5 mill.
I think you misread spreedom's post - he said Okafor would be looking at a $10m/year payday IF he was healthy last season, but since he wasn't, he'll have to settle for much less money... But assuming he is 100% healthy, getting a player who should be worth $10m for something in the $3-5m range would be an absolute steal.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-05-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #40
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't mean this in an offensive way at all but based on those statements I can tell you're pretty unfamiliar with his game. He's a great rim protector... in that sense, to me blocked shots have become very overrated. For example, DeAndre Jordan is a fantastic shot blocker, but as a rim protector he's very average... he doesn't defend well in space. Gets the good-looking plays but doesn't always rotate properly or use his body defensively. He allows the same shooting percentage at the rim as David Lee, who I think many here would agree is a terrible interior defender.

Okafor is one of those guys, kind of like Al Horford (and a good comparison defensively would be Jason Collins of about 10-12 years ago). He doesn't block a ton of shots, but he alters tons of them and defends the post exceptionally well. It's almost an intangible thing, but every team he's been a part of gets almost magically better defensively when he is on the floor... there isn't really a stat for that, but he is smart, has good footwork, rarely gets caught out of position and stays active even if/when he isn't going to be able to make an attempt at a block. He's basically a shorter, slightly more agile version of Hibbert that takes better shots, finishes better inside, and rebounds a lot better.

If Okafor was fully healthy, he'd probably be my #1 free agent, assuming you don't get any of the superstars that are potentially on the market this summer. I'm guessing he'll sign a one-year deal with a team that can offer him the most playing time so he can show that he's fully recovered from his injury. I'd love for the Mavs to get him on that one-year deal to see what he's got left... if he isn't going to be the same player again, we can always waive or trade him near the deadline for long-term deals, and if he's fully recovered, I'd love to keep him around past next year.

I cannot ing wait for the off-season.

Tags
double post double post