Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #81
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@dalton_trigg: Let’s say the Mavs don’t draft a center. If they decide to chase Cousins, what kind of offer would you be ok with? That recent B/R piece suggested 4yr/$80M. So basically the DeAndre Jordan deal that never happened 3 years ago.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #82
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Pelicans are going to offer him more than 80m anyway if they have too

Last edited by sefant77; 05-14-2018 at 07:52 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #83
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Count me out on Cousins. Cost + risk for an offense first center. Nah.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #84
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@dalton_trigg: Let’s say the Mavs don’t draft a center. If they decide to chase Cousins, what kind of offer would you be ok with? That recent B/R piece suggested 4yr/$80M. So basically the DeAndre Jordan deal that never happened 3 years ago.
Draft Mikal Bridges and I'm okay with it. NO probably offers him more, but with a 6% state tax rate (vs. 0% in TX) and the potential to join a good team, he could be okay with coming here for less.

Cousins
Barnes (out of position)
Bridges (AKA the next Marion/Kawhi)
Matthews/Curry
Smith

At least on paper that's a solid team. Even next to Davis, Cousins was the #12 center in the league in rebound rate. Then again, NO was a playoff team and Cousins seemed to like it there. I don't see why he would take less money to come here. Plus, there's the whole health thing. He's only a top player if he comes back healthy. We also don't know what happens in free agency until after we draft and I think our odds of drafting a center (Ayton, Jackson, Bamba) are over 50%

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-15-2018 at 10:37 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #85
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I enjoy watching Cousins play, but there are way too many red flags to think he would fit here and be successful. I could easily see him becoming Rondo 2.0.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #86
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I would hate to have the guy who complains about every call or non call. Salah had more hustle than Cousins, but he still started to wear me out with the consistent whining.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #87
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I would hate to have the guy who complains about every call or non call. Salah had more hustle than Cousins, but he still started to wear me out with the consistent whining.
In the NBA, you whine or you lose.

Spurs had Duncan
Rockets are in the WCF and have Paul and Harden
Warriors are in the WCF and have Green

Unfortunately you need at least one whiner and/or flopper on your team to make it to the top level.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #88
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Who was the whiner on the 2011 team? I can't recall anyone incessantly whining. I also brought up Salah whining on twitter one time and had an odd group of Salah supporters come out of nowhere to defend him. I get it, but it does drag on, especially when you are the whiner and not that great of a player. I also used Harden, LeBron, etc. as part of it all, but it seemed a fanboy club of sorts for Salah pounced on it.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #89
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Who was the whiner on the 2011 team? I can't recall anyone incessantly whining. I also brought up Salah whining on twitter one time and had an odd group of Salah supporters come out of nowhere to defend him. I get it, but it does drag on, especially when you are the whiner and not that great of a player. I also used Harden, LeBron, etc. as part of it all, but it seemed a fanboy club of sorts for Salah pounced on it.
Dirk, Terry, Kidd, and Chandler all took turns. That is what was so special about that team-- in every way we played as a team. We even whined by committee.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #90
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I wouldn't technically call Dirk's whining as he was screwed out of so many calls in his career that he had to "correct" the refs at some point.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #91
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

SMC said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
And I instantly thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Spurs had Duncan
Every single time he was called for a foul.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #92
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Draft Bamba or JJJ

Throw max at Gordon, even if he isnt a max guy. But you have to overpay to get them away from their team, so...

Still just 22 and the shit-show of Magic made him look worse than he is. They actually tried to convert him into wing. Took a lot of bad threes but even with that he shot 34% from deep (taking 5.9 a game). So with a better shot selection he can be easily great stretch-4 with range, good rebounding and crazy atletism. Looks like him and DSJ like each other allready

DSJ
xxx (Wes/Seth short term)
Barnes
Gordon
Bamba

Cant complain so much even if there is no true superstar potential. But a lot of talent. Try to get the next piece in the 2019 FA (pipedream Butler)

Last edited by sefant77; 05-15-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #93
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned Jabari Parker in the draft thread. Honestly, he would fit well with Bamba.

DSJ
I guess Matthews
Barnes
Parker
Bamba

You could definitely do worse.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #94
sefant77
Guru

I think Giannis is basically going to force the Bucks to pay him. They are also over the cap anyway, so they cant improve the team if they let him walk.

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/giann...oing-anywhere/

I see Gordon as a better fit than Randle. I think the azz are going to keep Favors too.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 PM   #95
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
For max money? I think I'd pass. Too similar to Barnes IMO.
How so? They might be the same height, but Parker is built more like a PF than Barnes -- he's bulkier, which makes him better-suited to bang in the paint. He's also a better rebounder, and flashes more upside as a scorer. At worst, he'd be a good Barnes replacement in a couple years, but I think they'd work well together in the modern NBA.

I still like Gordon better, but Parker might actually cost less than max with his injury history -- if nothing else I don't think the Bucks match.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #96
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't see the Magic letting Gordon walk. If they want to shed some salary Ross and Vuc are both expiring contracts and they could free up 23m by shedding those 2. They can shed another 6m by simply cutting Mack since only 1m is guaranteed. They could have well over 50m cap space if they wanted very easily so with nothing to spend it on since this years crop is so shit why in the world would they let Gordon walk for nothing? Just because it hasn't worked well? They have to spend money somewhere.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #97
sefant77
Guru

I think the draft night is going to play a bigger factor too...there is a solid chance that Porter is the clear BPA left at #6...Isaac, Porter and paying Gordon the Max is like the same crap the sixers did with their center.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-15-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #98
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-0-series-lead

This is the guy I really want. I worry slightly about spacing, but you got to love his tenacity and attitude. He’s also consistently box score plus/minus leader. He’s also a local kid and with the Celtics having tons of cash wrapped up in other guys he’s a realistic target.

Let Seth walk and pick up Smart. Bring Wes off the bench.

DSJ - JJ
Smart - Wes
Barnes - Dougie

Last edited by tap2390; 05-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #99
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-0-series-lead

This is the guy I really want. I worry slightly about spacing, but you got to love his tenacity and attitude. He’s also consistently box score plus/minus leader. He’s also a local kid and with the Celtics having tons of cash wrapped up in other guys he’s a realistic target.
He reminds me of Stevenson.

Not sure we're competing for a playoff spot next year (and if we are, we're out in the first round), but playoff teams need guys like that.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #100
sefant77
Guru

I hate his flopping ass...he is like the defensive version of Harden.

No thanks. I prefer to gamble on Exum
Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #101
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Exum played 14, 66, and 0 games the last three seasons. He would be cheaper than Smart and has a higher upside, but he doesn't bring nearly the same intangibles and leadership.

I would prefer to pay Smart $15-20 million a year if the alternative is paying Exum $8-10 million.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #102
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand Smart honestly. He has to be one of the worst offensive guards in the league and I don't think his defense makes up for it personally. And yeah, he's a flopping asshat. He might do little things that help you win but if he wasn't so god awful on offense the game might not be close enough to need those little things from him.

I don't want Exum either tbh.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 05-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #103
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

If they got a feeling Magic wouldnt match, Id go hard at Aaron Gordon.
DSJ/BAREA
WES/SETH
BARNES/DOUG
GORDON/DIRK/POWELL
BAMBA/DIRK/POWELL

Last edited by Melonhead; 05-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #104
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Boogie unfollows the Pelicans on social media

Media asks about it

Boogie responds, “cuz I’m grown”

Rajon Cousins to Mavs confirmed
Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #105
Underdog

@zpax14: @coopmavs what are the chances and your thoughts of Mavs signing Randle and drafting Bamba or JJJ? I think it definitely improves two positions in starting lineup with young guys.

@coopmavs: I like Randle. They don't as much. They want that player to be able to shoot from distance.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #106
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

I still think that if the Mavs don’t draft a PF that they will target Capela.

C - Capela
PF - JJJ
SF - Barnes
SG - Wes
PG - DSJ
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #107
sefant77
Guru

Again, Capela is a waste of time

Last edited by sefant77; 05-16-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #108
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@zpax14: @coopmavs what are the chances and your thoughts of Mavs signing Randle and drafting Bamba or JJJ? I think it definitely improves two positions in starting lineup with young guys.

@coopmavs: I like Randle. They don't as much. They want that player to be able to shoot from distance.
I for one hope this is true. I really really think it's a poor fit.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #109
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

We already have a poor man's Randle in Powell so it would be a waste of money. And Powell's three shot is starting to come on...finally.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #110
sefant77
Guru

Yepp, Randle is a bad fit...
Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #111
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
I still think that if the Mavs don’t draft a PF that they will target Capela.

C - Capela
PF - JJJ
SF - Barnes
SG - Wes
PG - DSJ
I think you may have mis-typed that one. But JJJ would be drafted to slide in to a stretch 5 role on this team. His defense and body are good enough to hold that position down. I think he is a very intriguing prospect given his ability to knock down outside shots, along with his know defense and sneaky athleticism.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #112
sefant77
Guru

https://instagram.com/p/Bi4jQerH0zq/...ource=ig_embed

Last edited by sefant77; 05-17-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #113
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Mavs so called interest really appears to be nothing more than leverage being put out by Cousin’s agent. I will be very disappointed if we actually pursue a spoiled, injured, cancerous big man.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #114
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Mavs so called interest really appears to be nothing more than leverage being put out by Cousin’s agent.
Only Dallas, LA, and NO even have the cap space to sign him right now, so don't be surprised to see our name floated in every single Boogie article until he inks a contract.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #115
sefant77
Guru

And with so less money floating around you can play the tick-tack game with Cousins.

"Here, we like you, here is our offer but we need to know now"
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #116
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I think you may have mis-typed that one. But JJJ would be drafted to slide in to a stretch 5 role on this team. His defense and body are good enough to hold that position down. I think he is a very intriguing prospect given his ability to knock down outside shots, along with his know defense and sneaky athleticism.

Why can’t you play JJJ at the 4? He’s more than capable. Of all the things that JJJ does well he’s not a very strong rebounder. So the Mavs are still going to need to address that. Capela would solve the rebounding problems. Jackson and Capela both play strong defense too. Also with Jackson’s ability to stretch the floor spacing wouldn’t be an issue.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #117
sefant77
Guru

Capela wont solve the rebounding problems because Morey is going to match
Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #118
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Capela wont solve the rebounding problems because Morey is going to match
Puzzles me why everyone keeps pipedreaming Capela. That would be such a dumb offer.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #119
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
Why can’t you play JJJ at the 4? He’s more than capable. Of all the things that JJJ does well he’s not a very strong rebounder. So the Mavs are still going to need to address that. Capela would solve the rebounding problems. Jackson and Capela both play strong defense too. Also with Jackson’s ability to stretch the floor spacing wouldn’t be an issue.
I think he fits in the modern NBA, and specifically this Mavs team, as a stretch 5. I think his rebounding numbers suffered with his playing time as a result of foul trouble.

For example, if the Mavs were to draft JJJ, I'd fully expect him to start at the 5, running mostly with Powell and Dirk.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #120
Underdog

So it looks like Wes reached out to Boogie about his achilles injury... I wonder if they discussed FA plans as well?
https://theundefeated.com/features/n...training-camp/

Last edited by Underdog; 05-18-2018 at 12:01 PM.