Ridiculously excited. Plan to watch every game (TV gods willing) 7 41.18%
Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #81
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yea. It's finger pointing at the only success he has had in quite a while. Sad.
Is it? Isn't what he said...true? Not that Luka wasn't trying to do that...but history pretty much clearly demonstrates that even someone as talented as Luka can't win on his own. That wasn't finger pointing...it was coaching. What's more, I think Luka would agree. He can't win it by himself.

Now, the other side of that is...those he passes to have to hit their shots. in a nutshell, in the games we won, they did, and in the games we lost, they didn't.

KP, assuming he is still here, needs to get more involved. That seems to be a joint responsibility. Some on Luka, some on KP, and some (maybe most?) on RC. I find the strategy they used with him questionable...were things really that different than when these two teams played last year, and KP was a major factor? Aside from that, when he's on the perimeter, it seems he seldom receives the ball, even though he is probably our best 3 point shooter. Why was that? Aside from that, KP needs to move more without the ball, and make himself more available. I did see that happening more in game 7, but not enough.

It could be that Luka wasn't passing to him because that was seldom where the double teams were coming from. So, someone else was usually more open. BUT KP could just shoot over whoever was guarding him, as he did several times.

I'm assuming there aren't going to be huge changes in the roster for next year. However, even if there is, I'm not sure that changes this: RC needs to figure out how to make all this work, and get the players to buy into it, and execute it. If he can't, then maybe that's the roster change that is needed.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-08-2021 at 10:49 AM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #82
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Is it? Isn't what he said...true? Not that Luka wasn't trying to do that...but history pretty much clearly demonstrates that even someone as talented as Luka can't win on his own. That wasn't finger pointing...it was coaching. What's more, I think Luka would agree. He can't win it by himself.

Now, the other side of that is...those he passes to have to hit their shots. in a nutshell, in the games we won, they did, and in the games we lost, they didn't.

KP, assuming he is still here, needs to get more involved. That seems to be a joint responsibility. Some on Luka, some on KP, and some (maybe most?) on RC. I find the strategy they used with him questionable...were things really that different than when these two teams played last year, and KP was a major factor? Aside from that, when he's on the perimeter, it seems he seldom receives the ball, even though he is probably our best 3 point shooter. Why was that? Aside from that, KP needs to move more without the ball, and make himself more available. I did see that happening more in game 7, but not enough.

It could be that Luka wasn't passing to him because that was seldom where the double teams were coming from. So, someone else was usually more open. BUT KP could just shoot over whoever was guarding him, as he did several times.

I'm assuming there aren't going to be huge changes in the roster for next year. However, even if there is, I'm not sure that changes this: RC needs to figure out how to make all this work, and get the players to buy into it, and execute it. If he can't, then maybe that's the roster change that is needed.
Iniitally, I was torn because on one had you look up at the box score and you see 10+ assists from Luka and its like...alright what else do you want?

BUt at the same time, when you dominate the ball ALL GAME and you play the whole game for the most part.....its not difficult to get to 10 assists.

I don't blame Luka for this I blame Carlisle. This offense is just not sustainable . Luka is gassed by the time the 4th quarter comes around.

By no means am I blaming Luka but this offense does need to regulate more to guys like Hardaway and KP.....I think Brunson should also get more playing time with him running the offense.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #83
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The "other side of this" makes the argument completely moot. The ONLY guy who needed the ball more was KP who was also terrible. If you shoot 0-5 from three, then would you keep passing that guy the ball? We clearly need to integrate KP into the system better, but passing him the ball wasn't the problem.

The rest of the guys you can't trust to save your life. Luka passing them the ball doesn't do any good if they aren't hitting their shots. Pretty much all of the B squad gets colder than the arctic at any given time, and I'm not sure what fix there is other than getting better teammates.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #84
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The "other side of this" makes the argument completely moot. The ONLY guy who needed the ball more was KP who was also terrible. If you shoot 0-5 from three, then would you keep passing that guy the ball? We clearly need to integrate KP into the system better, but passing him the ball wasn't the problem.

The rest of the guys you can't trust to save your life. Luka passing them the ball doesn't do any good if they aren't hitting their shots. Pretty much all of the B squad gets colder than the arctic at any given time, and I'm not sure what fix there is other than getting better teammates.
KP was god awful.

1) If he gets it at the three-point line, he just shoots it. He's okay at open jumpers but he isn't a sharpshooter. 37.6% in the regular season and 29.6% in the playoffs.
2) If he gets it in the mid/low post, he gets stripped, blocked, or puts up a low % shot. He gets stripped on drives more than any player in the NBA and he doesn't use his height for anything but clearance on jumpers, which again, he's not efficient at. His eFG% on jumpers is mediocre
3) He's decent on oops, but again, doesn't move well without the ball like Powell and often turns it over trying to catch oops.

The dude either puts up a low-percentage jumper or he turns it over. I don't blame Luka one bit for not getting it to him.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-08-2021 at 12:34 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #85
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:

I don't think it does. When your teammates aren't hitting, you need to work on getting them more confident. Can't win it on your own. Look at Kobe after Shaq left...same concern. He admitted he didn't pass the ball because his bad shot was better than his teammates good shots, at least in his mind. How did LA do during that period? They didn't win squat, often missing the playoffs. Look at Game 7. Was this issue that Luka wasn't shooting enough?? No. Same criticism was made of Harden, who also didn't ultimately win anything, despite having a fair supporting cast.

He has BY FAR the highest ball dominance of any player in the NBA, probably ever. The other high ball dominant players were around 8.5 minutes per game or so...Luka was about 11.5. FAR higher than anyone else. At best, this gets him tired at the end of games. At worst, it does that plus never lets anyone else get in rhythm.

Also, everyone needs to understand that 'getting better teammates' is likely a 3 or more year process. It's not easy to simply upgrade your roster everywhere. First, it takes time just to get the players, then some don't fit, and you need new ones...and even when you get a good mix it takes 1+ years for them to gel together. Is that really what everyone wants...3 years or so before getting anywhere?
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #86
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Link?
https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/sp...oEPRpFaxs15Wg4
https://www.audacy.com/1053thefan/sp...WhzuGc38KN2kkI

I didn’t listen, but looks like this might be from the interview this morning.

I’m on the fire Donnie train.

"And when things grind to more of a halt in the playoffs and it's a slugfest possession by possession-type deal ... It's easy to ascertain that maybe Luka could have, and it's not just KP, could have done a little bit better job in terms of delegation. And I think that's part of the maturing process. I think if you look at any great player in the early days (they want) to make every play and score every basket. But I think as you see Luka mature, he'll understand him getting 15 assists is going to be as important to us winning and involving his teammates. And I think that's just a part of him growing older and wiser."

Edit: might be the second link which has some quotes from the interview.

Last edited by BPo001; 06-08-2021 at 12:45 PM.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #87
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs were fourth in the league in generating open looks. Luka passing the ball isn't the issue. Other teams have players with similar usage rates and are true contenders (76ers & Embiid; Bucks & Giannis).

Our biggest issue is pretty clear. We don't generate easy shots at the rim. We take way too many threes despite not having elite shooters. We don't have a roll man because KP isn't comfortable in the paint and Powell isn't the same player he was pre-achilles.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #88
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think it does. When your teammates aren't hitting, you need to work on getting them more confident. Can't win it on your own. Look at Kobe after Shaq left...same concern. He admitted he didn't pass the ball because his bad shot was better than his teammates good shots, at least in his mind. How did LA do during that period? They didn't win squat, often missing the playoffs. Look at Game 7. Was this issue that Luka wasn't shooting enough?? No. Same criticism was made of Harden, who also didn't ultimately win anything, despite having a fair supporting cast.

He has BY FAR the highest ball dominance of any player in the NBA, probably ever. The other high ball dominant players were around 8.5 minutes per game or so...Luka was about 11.5. FAR higher than anyone else. At best, this gets him tired at the end of games. At worst, it does that plus never lets anyone else get in rhythm.

Also, everyone needs to understand that 'getting better teammates' is likely a 3 or more year process. It's not easy to simply upgrade your roster everywhere. First, it takes time just to get the players, then some don't fit, and you need new ones...and even when you get a good mix it takes 1+ years for them to gel together. Is that really what everyone wants...3 years or so before getting anywhere?
Uhhh you must have missed that point in Kobe's career when he won two rings with Pau Gasol as his second best player.

And I still disagree about getting teammates better. This team is maxed out and waaaay overachieved minus KP. The only B squad guy on the roster I see getting better is Brunson and even he was flat during most of the playoffs. That is if you don't count the rookies who don't play.

But the real point that people miss about Luka is that his scoring is actually his greatest asset. He is a great passer, but he can score with the best of them. The team needed it. My god, we brought the second most talented team in the league to their knees all because of Luka. Maddening that people/media are just basically making shit up now to fit their narrative.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #89
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Mavs were fourth in the league in generating open looks. Luka passing the ball isn't the issue. Other teams have players with similar usage rates and are true contenders (76ers & Embiid; Bucks & Giannis).

Our biggest issue is pretty clear. We don't generate easy shots at the rim. We take way too many threes despite not having elite shooters. We don't have a roll man because KP isn't comfortable in the paint and Powell isn't the same player he was pre-achilles.
But what type of open looks are these players getting? I don't say that as a knock to Luka but if they are low percentage shots then what good are they?

It seems like the only thing this offense is good for is racking up stats for Luka. I just don't know how this is a winning formula. I said the same thing about a James Harden lead team.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #90
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Uhhh you must have missed that point in Kobe's career when he won two rings with Pau Gasol as his second best player.

And I still disagree about getting teammates better. This team is maxed out and waaaay overachieved minus KP. The only B squad guy on the roster I see getting better is Brunson and even he was flat during most of the playoffs. That is if you don't count the rookies who don't play.

But the real point that people miss about Luka is that his scoring is actually his greatest asset. He is a great passer, but he can score with the best of them. The team needed it. My god, we brought the second most talented team in the league to their knees all because of Luka. Maddening that people/media are just basically making shit up now to fit their narrative.
So let me ask you.....do you think the only way Luka can score is if he has the ball in his hands?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #91
Jayinem
Banned

Jayinem will become famous soon enoughJayinem will become famous soon enough

KD left OKC because he couldn't win with Russ, KD
dallas-mavs.com board: let's team up Russ with Luka

Also if Harden and Russ were such a success, why aren't they still teammates? Russ didn't want to play with Harden anymore. And yet, he's going to want to play with Luka? Why? Maybe there's a chance everything would be fine but you have to look at someone's history and evaluate them based off that and don't risk turning your superstar into a malcontent.

What are the odds Luka, Russ and RC could all coexist for longer than half a season? There's a pattern with Russ either he wants out or his co-star wants out.

Sometimes you have to look past the fact that someone can put up numbers and think. Russell Westbrook is the Terrell Owens of basketball.

Last edited by Jayinem; 06-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Jayinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #92
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
So let me ask you.....do you think the only way Luka can score is if he has the ball in his hands?
Until we get a secondary ball handler, pretty much. That's why people went ape shit when THJ lobbed him that fast break assist. You'll basically never see that again.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:46 PM   #93
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

You are missing the timing point then.. The clock should have started clicking when the Mavs truly saw what they had in Luka which was January 2019 at the latest. We are going into year 3 of knowing Luka is a generational superstar and there is apparently no plan to upgrade roster based on Donnie's comments. People will get better and Luka will learn to use the chess pieces was his comment. Donnie needs to go and Mavs fans need to stop being in denial.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #94
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Just heard a stat on The Ticket in Dallas:
Since winning the championship in the 2010-11 Season, the Mavs are only one of 6 teams that have not won a single playoff series in the decade since that season. That little factoid is a logical barrier to those Mavs fans who claim that both RC is a top level coach and the MBT are good at what they do. There is no way to logically assert that both are true, at least over the past decade.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #95
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But what type of open looks are these players getting? I don't say that as a knock to Luka but if they are low percentage shots then what good are they?

It seems like the only thing this offense is good for is racking up stats for Luka. I just don't know how this is a winning formula. I said the same thing about a James Harden lead team.

You have to know this is beyond a stretch. Luka is getting his teammates good looks and they aren’t hitting. Period. It’s what the stats say and it’s what my eyes tell me. This would be fine if his teammates were elite defenders, but they’re not.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:14 PM   #96
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Since winning the championship in the 2010-11 Season, the Mavs are only one of 6 teams that have not won a single playoff series in the decade since that season. That little factoid is a logical barrier to those Mavs fans who claim that both RC is a top level coach and the MBT are good at what they do. There is no way to logically assert that both are true, at least over the past decade.
I’m still confident in Rick to win a playoff series. He hasn’t exactly had much to work with roster wise. I think you could easily make an argument that our rosters have generally overachieved given the shit Donnie/Cuban have given him.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #97
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
This logic is terrible.

No team in the league had a more successful prior decade.
No team in the league was so loyal to their HOF player that they used up all their assets
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #98
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayinem View Post
KD left OKC because he couldn't win with Russ, KD
dallas-mavs.com board: let's team up Russ with Luka

Also if Harden and Russ were such a success, why aren't they still teammates? Russ didn't want to play with Harden anymore. And yet, he's going to want to play with Luka? Why? Maybe there's a chance everything would be fine but you have to look at someone's history and evaluate them based off that and don't risk turning your superstar into a malcontent.

What are the odds Luka, Russ and RC could all coexist for longer than half a season? There's a pattern with Russ either he wants out or his co-star wants out.

Sometimes you have to look past the fact that someone can put up numbers and think. Russell Westbrook is the Terrell Owens of basketball.
KD left Russ because he wanted to go to the Warriors. Had nothing to do with Russell Westbrook's game...you guys will create any narrative you can to sound round. Just say you don't like Westbrook and keep it moving lol.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #99
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
You have to know this is beyond a stretch. Luka is getting his teammates good looks and they aren’t hitting. Period. It’s what the stats say and it’s what my eyes tell me. This would be fine if his teammates were elite defenders, but they’re not.
That's what i'm asking though. Why are his teammates not hitting shots? Am I to believe they can't hit open shots?

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 06-08-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #100
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
KD left Russ because he wanted to go to the Warriors. Had nothing to do with Russell Westbrook's game...you guys will create any narrative you can to sound round. Just say you don't like Westbrook and keep it moving lol.
Everyone keeps talking about Russ with OKC or Houston

Instead of asking themselves how Russ improve the mavs if he's playing the same exact role you asked Wright and then Ruchardson to play.

That question keeps getting ignored

Russ is by far a better talent than those two guys and in return I'd say he would have improved this team big team in number of areas

Rebounding
Perimeter defense
Secondary ball handler
Transition offense
Attack the rim/points in paint

Extra rest for Luka

Overall talent upgrade to the roster in general

But hey keep telling us what he did in OKC or Houston instead asking what he could have done that Wright & Richardson failed to do back to back years
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #101
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Instead of asking themselves how Russ improve the mavs if he's playing the same exact role you asked Wright and then Ruchardson to play.

Russ is by far a better talent than those two guys and in return I'd say he would have improved this team big team in number of areas

Rebounding
Perimeter defense
Secondary ball handler
Transition offense

Extra rest for Luka

But hey keep telling us what he did in OKC or Houston instead asking what he could have done that Wright & Richardson failed to do back to back years
As a hole that needs to be filled, I think you're right.

Unfortunately, you still have to deal with the same player that teams are giving up on as a guy needed to show up at the right time. And that contract is a serious problem.

If he was a FA and you could get him for a reasonable price, then I would consider it. The talent was never the question though. Westbrook can never get out of the way of Westbrook.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #102
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

It'll take a lot to regain my faith in the team right now. Luka was incredible, and his teammates did not show up. If we have another "meh" postseason then I'm probably skipping out on next season. I'll watch when the front office actually looks like they believe in this city and surrounding Luka with talent that he deserves. As for now? I can do better things with my time.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #103
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:

76ers have Curry & Green shooting threes. Mavs only have THJ.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #104
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Rebounding
Perimeter defense
Secondary ball handler
Transition offense

Extra rest for Luka

Exactly. I don't care what Russ did on other teams. I care about what he can offer the Mavs. And all of the above you listed are all positives.

Mavs fans have the nerve to be picky...for what? We don't even have anything worth trading so if the Wiz wouldn't mind taking a crappy contract back in return? Sure i'd do it. Wouldn't think twice about it. And if it failed? Oh well. At least we were trying to do SOMETHING.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #105
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

The team is has a dilemma with regards to FA. If they keep KP, re-sign THJ, and J-Rich opts in, then I'm not really sure what they can do. They'll have to find a trade at that point, but what kind of value does J-Rich have? Do you include Kleber or Brunson?

Thats why keeping THJ makes little sense if you truly want to upgrade the roster

Old 06-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #106
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The team is has a dilemma with regards to FA. If they keep KP, re-sign THJ, and J-Rich opts in, then I'm not really sure what they can do. They'll have to find a trade at that point, but what kind of value does J-Rich have? Do you include Kleber or Brunson?

Thats why keeping THJ makes little sense if you truly want to upgrade the roster
And for some reason there are people afraid to let THJ walk and are ready to pay this dude 25 mil. I'm sorry but that's not it. He's a great dude and he wants to be here, but set a hard line for the love of God. We can not afford a 20+mil one dimensional perimeter shooting guy AND retool the team.

Also, Why the hell would JRich opt out, realistically? Not happening.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #107
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
And for some reason there are people afraid to let THJ walk and are ready to pay this dude 25 mil. I'm sorry but that's not it. He's a great dude and he wants to be here, but set a hard line for the love of God. We can not afford a 20+mil one dimensional perimeter shooting guy AND retool the team.

He’s scheduled to make like $11 mil by opting in? Some team might offer him a multi year deal for around that same amount. Take a chance that maybe he can look like the NBA player again. One can hope, right?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 PM   #108
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It’s been said multiple times but 20-25m is what these types of players get now. It’s not about being scared to let him go, there’s no one on the market that the Mavs could convince to come here at his offensive caliber.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-08-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:08 PM   #109
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
It’s been said multiple times but 20-25m is what these types of players get now. It’s not about being scared to let him go, there’s no one on the market that the Mavs could convince to come here at his offensive caliber.
Thank you.

Quote:

ONCE AGAIN, no one is afraid to let him go. The issue is do you want to spend 25 million on THJ or do you want to spend it on someone else like him? Those are your options. There's no imaginary scenario where we upgrade from THJ.

We know what the deal is with THJ. We know what he is. The fact is 90% of the league is as good as THJ or worse. The other 10% that's in his league or better just aren't available.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:26 PM   #110
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His offensive caliber? The dude is a magician, unfortunately one of his acts is disappearing. 1 dimensional guys aren't worth that for us. He's a fantastic asset if we have a roster where we JUST lack that outside shooter. If you assume no one else is attainable, like Derozan or whoever else then sure what's the point. Just keep overpaying these guys we have, maybe they will keep getting better if you throw more money at them. Didn't work out for DP.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #111
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Thank you.

ONCE AGAIN, no one is afraid to let him go. The issue is do you want to spend 25 million on THJ or do you want to spend it on someone else like him? Those are your options. There's no imaginary scenario where we upgrade from THJ.

We know what the deal is with THJ. We know what he is. The fact is 90% of the league is as good as THJ or worse. The other 10% that's in his league or better just aren't available.
It's not an jssue.. it's an easy YES. I do want to spend that on someone else. It's MBT job to find someone who has more tools to surround Luka with. If not then you gotta get him to sign on for around what he is making currently. I don't buy that he is the best option to throw 25m at. If you are OK with what we have been rolling out, then idk what to say. Just watch and enjoy the same results.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #112
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
He’s scheduled to make like $11 mil by opting in? Some team might offer him a multi year deal for around that same amount. Take a chance that maybe he can look like the NBA player again. One can hope, right?
We can hope. I don't see it.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #113
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Ok...but if you're keeping THJ, then how much does that leave you? Likely not enough to get a serious impact player.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:48 PM   #114
Jayinem
Banned

Jayinem will become famous soon enoughJayinem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I didn't make up any narrative they didn't even speak after he left for years and there was tension when they played. People like you who act like they know everything when your really know very little just ruin boards like this going after everything I say not giving me the right to even any thoughts of my own. I insulted you because you attacked me from the beginning on every thought I had. Not going to post here anymore, if it's not you it'll just be someone else.

Last edited by Jayinem; 06-08-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Jayinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #115
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His offensive caliber? The dude is a magician, unfortunately one of his acts is disappearing. 1 dimensional guys aren't worth that for us. He's a fantastic asset if we have a roster where we JUST lack that outside shooter. If you assume no one else is attainable, like Derozan or whoever else then sure what's the point. Just keep overpaying these guys we have, maybe they will keep getting better if you throw more money at them. Didn't work out for DP.
You let us know what’s available for someone that can shoot at least 39% from 3 and 44.7% overall. They aren’t waiting in the wings for Dallas. As Dtown already said, we know what he is. We know he disappears.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #116
Melonhead
Guru

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Fv...QA&dl_branch=1

The most accurate thing I’ve ever heard a talking head speak on the Mavs. (Aside from Lukas shooting)

Absolutely must listen.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-08-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:58 PM   #117
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I’m still confident in Rick to win a playoff series. He hasn’t exactly had much to work with roster wise. I think you could easily make an argument that our rosters have generally overachieved given the shit Donnie/Cuban have given him.
In addition to that if people do their homework they also lost the previous post season before the finals team

They lost in the 1st round and that team had very good talent but it gets swept under the rug.

They've been bounced out the playoffs 7 out of the last 8 post seasons in the 1st round

Makes you wonder if Dirk doesn't go crazy and carry this team in 2011 would the man on the sidelines right now still be here?

Last edited by Dallas41; 06-08-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:04 AM   #118
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This logic is terrible.

No team in the league had a more successful prior decade.
No team in the league was so loyal to their HOF player that they used up all their assets
Funny you should say that because I don't ever recall any team in the league keeping a HC who has lost 6 straight 1st round playoff series

That's almost unheard of in today's sports

You would think RC is the Bill Belichick of the NBA with that type of job security and the way people praise him.

Last edited by Dallas41; 06-09-2021 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:04 AM   #119
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
You let us know what’s available for someone that can shoot at least 39% from 3 and 44.7% overall. They aren’t waiting in the wings for Dallas. As Dtown already said, we know what he is. We know he disappears.
I saw what he said, I'm just not interested in that take. You can't complain that we need to upgrade the roster and then overpay the same guys. The logic behind giving him an additional 7m per year when he hasn't added anymore skill is not hitting home for me, especially considering he isn't a final piece.

Derozan would be a huge upgrade but oh no, he can't shoot 3s. At least he's not 1 dimensional. I get the concern that great players aren't lined up to come here but I find no credibility in putting any blame at Donnies feet yet also being fine with giving THJ a big raise.

It really doesn't matter who anyone suggests because the answer will be "they aren't attainable, or they don't wanna come here". Which is hard to prove wrong because Mbt fumbles the ball on this.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:23 AM   #120
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

No. I don't think there is much truth to Dinnies drivel. Luka has high usage because NO ONE else can create. No one else in the SLU is even capable of penetration. Another issue is...they can't defend either! That's a recipe for mediocrity when you have a generational talent, it's a recipe for disaster when you have mediocre talent.

Dead on about KP needing to do more and be more involved and that's what a top 5 coach figures out even if it means you can't rigidly run the offense you love. If it's not good for the team overall to get the playing at the highest level they're capable of, then trade the guy (kp) who doesn't fit it or adjust it the offense scheme. No?

I think it's just Donnie spouting more bullshit because that's what he does. We watch this team closely. Every single game. Casuals might buy into that, but come on. At face value sure everyone could get better and Luka too. Free throws and turnovers. I just don't think anyone really sees Donnie in a position to make any comment that can be seen as negative toward Luka. The kid strapped this mediocre team on his back and almost carried us past a contender. The getting others more involved part should have been directed at Rick, not Luka.

Tags
jack.kerr aucks