Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 08-01-2002, 03:55 AM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Mavericks Notes
Mavericks assistant up for Nuggets job
By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris has moved one step closer to possibly being named the head coach of the Nuggets.

Harris might have become the odds-on favorite to get the job Wednesday when Jazz assistant coach Phil Johnson removed his name from consideration. Johnson became disenchanted because the Nuggets have taken so long to make a decision, saying the slow process made it easy for him to remain with the Jazz.

The job seems to have come down to a choice between Harris, Nuggets assistant Jeff Bzdelik, Grizzlies assistant Lionel Hollins, University of Kentucky coach Tubby Smith and Nuggets assistant Clyde Drexler. Bzdelik was recently added to the mix after he guided the Nuggets' summer-league team to a 6-0 record at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City.

Warren Legarie, an agent who represents Harris and Hollins, didn't read too much into Johnson taking his name out of the hat.

"This is like the old Last Man Standing film by Bruce Willis," Legarie said.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe had been expected to name his coach this past Monday.

"I think it's great for Del," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said. "I think he deserves another shot at a head coaching job."

In more than 13 seasons as a head coach, Harris posted a 556-457 record with the Rockets, Bucks and Lakers. He joined the Mavs in March 2000, with his focus mainly on helping the team's defense.

"Del's a great guy," Cuban said. "It would hurt us to lose him, but I like him so much I want to see him get that chance."

Nash's games lowered?

If Mavs owner Mark Cuban has his way, point guard Steve Nash will never again play all 82 games in a season. In fact, Cuban doesn't want any of the Mavericks to play all 82 games.

Nash was the only member of the Mavs to play 82 games last season, and he periodically was slowed by nagging injuries. Cuban said most of his players had nothing left in the tank when the Mavs lost to the Kings in the Western Conference semifinals.

"Steve Nash should not have played 82 games, but he won't this year," Cuban said. "I don't care if every day he can jump and dunk with his ankles, and he's just so healthy and in such good shape.

"He's not going to play 82 games. It's the coach's decision, but if I can guide the coach, nobody's going to play 82 games."

Cuban noted how the Lakers rested Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Robert Horry at times during the regular season. Cuban added that because the Mavs are now considered one of the NBA's elite teams with a deep bench, players playing every game is not essential to the big picture.

Cuban pointed out that guard Michael Finley missed 13 games early in the season with a strained left hamstring, but benefited from the extra rest once the playoffs started.

"It's not about winning more games than last year, and it's not about can we win 50 or 60 versus 57," Cuban said. "I don't care if we win 50, as long as we make it in the playoffs, and we're at our healthiest and most prepared."

Wang is wanted

Wang Zhizhi's advisor, Simon Chan, said the Warriors, Knicks, Heat and Trail Blazers are among the teams interested in the Mavs' restricted free agent. In six games with the Warriors' summer-league team last month, Wang averaged 12.5 points and six rebounds in 28.2 minutes. That includes scoring 14 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in a game against the Grizzlies.

Lewis update

A week after the Mavericks wowed free-agent small forward Rashard Lewis during his visit to American Airlines Center, Supersonics owner Howard Schultz and others from the team's management team are jumping into the fray.

Schultz and company plan to arrive in Houston today in hopes of convincing Lewis that he should re-sign with the Sonics. Lewis has a seven-year, $62 million offer on the table from the Sonics, with another $8 million in incentives.

All the Mavericks can offer Lewis is a three-year, $15 million deal with an off-the-record promise of giving him a maximum contract after the 2004-05 season.

Meanwhile, Carl Poston, one of Lewis' agents, met with Houston Rockets management Wednesday. Lewis, a graduate of Alief Elsik near Houston, has always expressed a desire to play for the Rockets.

Nowitzki passes physical

Dirk Nowitzki, who had four bone spurs removed from his left ankle in May, passed his physical examination Tuesday with Mavericks team doctor T.O. Souryal.

Dwain Price, (817) 390-7760 ice@star-telegram.com

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links