Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #841
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What is spinning in your CD player right now?

Authentic Music of the Civil War, performed by Bobby Horton
Journey: Greatest Hits
The Very Best of Sting and the Police
Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #842
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default RE:What is spinning in your CD player right now?

The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart

I've come to the realization that I buy WAY too many cds!
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #843
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Jazz is Dead: Blue Light Rain
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #844
AnMan21

Coldplay - X&Y : maybe i was way too excited about this cd, but first listen through, i was rather disappointed.

Glen Phillips - Winter Pays for Summer : former front man of Toad the Wet Sprocket. pretty good - a lot like Toad.

Lucinda Williams - Live at the Fillmore : typical Lucinda - solid.

On another note: Austin City Limit Music Festival has a pretty good lineup - Coldplay, Wilco, Black Crowes, Allman Brothers Band, Oasis, Jet, Keane, Death Cab for Cutie, Spoon, Dierks Bentley, Secret Machines, Lucinda Williams, Lyle Lovett - off the top of my head...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #845
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Outkast-Aquemini
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #846
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

White Stripes - (name withheld because it makes me tense - but it was released yesterday)

I would say a pretty good job by the Whites. Not as good as the stellar DeStijl, but a darn good followup to Elephant. Now I might rate it a bit higher if I could convince them to change the name. Blue Orchid is not one of the better songs on the album, so that should tell you something.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #847
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Rage Against the Machine - RAGE

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #848
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Tool - Undertow
Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #849
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Moe. - Warts and All vol. iv
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 AM   #850
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

System of a Down - Mesmerize
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Common - Be
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning Strike

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #851
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Jamiroquai - A Funk Oddysey

These guys are really talented.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #852
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Contraband: The Best of Men at Work
A burned compilation featuring the greatness of George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers
Old 06-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #853
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place

Anyone heard these guys? Awesome, emotional instrumental guitar symphonies...
Old 06-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #854
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Explosions in the Sky is definitely awesome, especially live (saw them twice back in 2000.)
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #855
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

picked up a bunch of cds over the past few weeks, i'm liking them all. I'm rotating listening to them on my iPod.

Coldplay - X&Y
White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
The Bravery - The Bravery
Better Than Ezra - Before The Robots
Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

U2, what's the issue with the album title of White Stripes? Just the mention of Satan? Or that it quotes the bible?

It is ambiguous, I agree. Is it asking for support from Satan, or deliverance from Satan's evil? honestly, even the bible verse is somewhat ambiguous. I've seen thoughts that Jesus is telling Satan to go away. Others interpret it as Jesus requesting that Satan work with him, not against him.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #856
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

BBL: Man that album is just total kick arse. With each listen it keeps getting better. I was just trying to be funny about the album title. It makes me a little tense.... but that was schtick.

And Jesus said this twice... or at least the Bible has two accounts where he said this. The first was when Satan tried to tempt him with "all the kingdoms of the World", the second was in rebuke to Peter saying (tempting) that he(Jesus) should not die and be raised from the dead.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #857
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

dont believe the truth - Oasis
worth a listen for anyone remotly liking Oasis.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #858
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ah, you and your shtick. and yes, it is said twice. and in both cases, it's ambiguous. but not to derail this onto bible interpretation.

yeah, the album didn't blow me away at first like elephant did... but i still loved it, and it's gotten better with every listen.

I'm really digging the new Ben Folds and Better Than Ezra, too. Coldplay was underwhelming at first, but i still liked it, and it's getting better.

Bravery makes me think to the 80's rock/dance bands, which is a great thing.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 PM   #859
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Love Jimmy Page's slide work on Hats off to (Roy) Harper
Old 06-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #860
sike
The Preacha

Zep III is freakin beautiful, Since I've been loving you is one of the most soulful songs I've ever heard....

Old 07-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #861
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Gorillaz - Demon Days
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #862
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Thy Is a Word & Feet Need Lamps - Half-Handed Cloud
Dichotomy A & B - Grits
mmHmm - Relient K
Old 07-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #863
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Parliament Funk.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #864
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

To all those dallas folk - tonight John Mayer and Buddy Guy play on KERA. it may be a rerun but still I always love it when they play this show. Still need to get one of mr. Mayer's cds though hehe
Old 07-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #865
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ninkobei
To all those dallas folk - tonight John Mayer and Buddy Guy play on KERA. it may be a rerun but still I always love it when they play this show. Still need to get one of mr. Mayer's cds though hehe
ok, so here's my problem with John Mayer - i went to see the counting crows two summers ago (when they duel-headlined with Mayer). counting crows played first, so i was ready to leave after they left the stage but my girlfriend wanted to see mayer. all i'd heard was his bubble gum pop crap - he plays a couple of those songs, then at about song three he rips into this SWEET bluesy song called Come Back to Bed that he put on his newest album. he extended it with every blues lick he could think of - it was awesome. he kept that style long enough for all the teeny boppers to get bored then went back to the bubble gum music. the whole time he was saying in between songs, his new album is taking a step forward and it may turn his current fans off, but he hopes to become a better musician, yada yada. so i'm like, man, his new cd is going to be solid. minus a few songs, it's still bubble gum crap. he's capable of so much more, he's one hell of a guitar player and has the creativity to write meaningful music. but it's like he's being steered in the wrong direction. it's quite sad...

on topic:

Gov't Mule - Deja Voodo
Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #866
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
ah, you and your shtick. and yes, it is said twice. and in both cases, it's ambiguous. but not to derail this onto bible interpretation.

yeah, the album didn't blow me away at first like elephant did... but i still loved it, and it's gotten better with every listen.

I'm really digging the new Ben Folds and Better Than Ezra, too. Coldplay was underwhelming at first, but i still liked it, and it's getting better.

Bravery makes me think to the 80's rock/dance bands, which is a great thing.
Now that I've lived with the album for a bit... it is not a great album. But it has highlights for sure. Red Rain and Instinct Blues stand out for me, but I will always enjoy the jam songs more than the slow tempo and cabaret style songs they like to produce.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #867
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, not great, but i definitely like it though. but not as good as their other albums. de stijl, white blood cells, and elephant are still amazing albums.

now i am listening to:

GREAT live cd

not as good as their first album, but still solid and fun to listen to. but this has got to be one of the worst cd covers ever.

This is Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses... Probably Ryan Adams best work to date.

probably going to pick up a few cds today with my 10% off cd at best buy. probably the new gorillaz, the 2-disc fountains of wayne cd, and some tim mcgraw cds for my wife.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:05 PM   #868
sike
The Preacha

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #869
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Coldplay - X&Y

Track 2 - What If on repeat.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #870
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
i popped this in the other day too - what a great album. i sure hope they get back together like corgan's talking...

also in my player:

Sublime - self titled
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Old 07-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #871
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux

This is Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses... Probably Ryan Adams best work to date.
BBL, between Ryan Adams and Roger Clyne, we're on the same page.

But right now.. I'm on a mission for the funk - Parliament albums Mothership Connection and Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:10 PM   #872
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i've been listening to a bit more funk lately, too. i'm learning to play bass, and you gotta love bootsy.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #873
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ninkobei
Ahha! little did I know, the soundstage concert is a two-parter. The second part which they just played has about 4 songs w/ Buddy Guy and a small jam session. It's by far the better and I think Mayer shows a more brave side of his music. Quite a bit bluesy(er) and Guy helps out on the vocals some to give it that authentic sound. Don't get me wrong, Mayer has singing ability, but he's not exactly geared for low-down blues.

off topic: could I be the first person to quote himself? [img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img] <--the sound of a new trend in online forums?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 AM   #874
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

ACDC: For those About to Rock Remastered and Extended edition, High Voltage, Highway to Hell, and Razor's Edge
A great many songs from various Gundam anime series

Old 07-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #875
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
ACDC: For those About to Rock Remastered and Extended edition, High Voltage, Highway to Hell, and Razor's Edge
A great many songs from various Gundam anime series
Journey hasn't left your player since May huh? that's pretty badass.....they're playing the Woodlands on September 23 - I'll be there rocking out....

Old 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #876
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21

Journey hasn't left your player since May huh? that's pretty badass.....they're playing the Woodlands on September 23 - I'll be there rocking out....

I'll never stop believing, AnMan [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]... And I was actually thinking about getting tickets to that show...
Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #877
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hot Hot Heat - Elevator
Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #878
AnMan21

AC/DC - Live
The Beatles - Let It Be
Old 08-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #879
irontoad
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
i popped this in the other day too - what a great album. i sure hope they get back together like corgan's talking...

also in my player:

Sublime - self titled
The Killers - Hot Fuss
The Killers album is pretty damn cool, but can someone tell me why a band that's been around (less than?) a year deserves to have TWO freaking tribute albums?? Ridiculous...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #880
AnMan21

Quote:
Originally posted by: irontoad

The Killers album is pretty damn cool, but can someone tell me why a band that's been around (less than?) a year deserves to have TWO freaking tribute albums?? Ridiculous...
it's unexplainable....kinda like when a band with one album releases a "live" disc. or when a band with two albums releases a "greatest hits"

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here