Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-18-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welcome to the Mavs Tyrell Terry!

A great pickup at 30
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Tyrell Terry | G | Stanford | Birthdate: Sept. 28, 2000 (Age: 20) | 6-3 | 170 LBS | Hometown: Minneapolis, Minn.

BACKGROUND: Has been a winner across the board throughout his career. Mother is Carrie Grise. She is a physical therapist working in sports and raised Tyrell as a single mother for a long time. Has a younger brother that Terry watched as a babysitter for a long time when he was back in Minnesota. Elite character kid with high level of intelligence, which shouldn’t come as a surprise coming from a high-end academic school like Stanford. Terry was a role player as a freshman at DeLaSalle, a basketball powerhouse in Minneapolis. He entered the starting lineup as a sophomore, as the team won a state championship in both of those seasons. Terry became even more of a central figure as a junior, although the team did not win a state title. However, it rebounded to win a state title as a senior with Terry being the clear leader. He made first team all-state and was a finalist for Minnesota’s Mr. Basketball award, losing to his AAU teammate Matthew Hurt. Terry, Hurt, and fellow potential first round pick Zeke Nnaji also led AAU team D1 Minnesota to a successful run on the adidas circuit. Ultimately was a four-star recruit ranked just outside of the consensus top-100 kids in the 2019 class. Committed to Stanford over Baylor, Indiana, Minnesota and others, but Stanford was the clear leader the whole way. Was expected to be a certain multi-year player at Stanford even by the coaching staff and those around him, but blew up in his freshman season. Led Stanford to the brink of its first NCAA Tournament appearance under Jerod Haase. Made the Pac-12’s All-Freshman team ahead of five-star recruits like Josh Green, Isaiah Mobley, CJ Walker, and Jaden McDaniels. Quickly emerged onto NBA scouts’ minds, and morphed into a real prospect. Initially decided to test the NBA Draft waters when declaring, but received feedback that he was comfortable with and decided to go pro.

YEAR TEAM LEAGUE Age GP PPG RPG APG TOPG BPG SPG FG% 3P% FT%
2019-20 Stanford NCAA (Pac-12) 19 31 14.6 4.5 3.2 2.6 0.1 1.4 44.1 40.8 89.1

STRENGTHS: A winner and a great competitor. Battles all the time. Gets frustrated in the right ways you want to see on the court, while also being encouraging and not losing confidence. Plays with underrated fire and very high-level basketball IQ. Has good feel as an off-ball defender and plays hard on that end. Has a case as the best shooter in this draft class, and would certainly be in my top-five. Just absolutely elite off the catch. Hit at an absurd 75.0 effective field goal percentage. That means he made 50 percent of his catch-and-shoot 3s this year, which is a ridiculous number. He did so with NBA range, as well. Does so off of movement with ease. Can stop on a dime and run around off-ball screens to pop and make shots. Also can roll around ball-screens to fire. Off the dribble, good at firing off of one or two-dribble pull-ups. Great at the relocation pull-up 3 after a heavy closeout. Everything Terry does with his jumper is so smooth and easy. Aligns with the basket, has absolutely tremendous balance. It’s a quiet shot. Great prep work with his feet to get aligned with the basket. Typically has a small ball dip, but can also shorten that to get a quick one off if necessary. The release isn’t lightning quick, but everything else is there. He has great balance, great alignment, a very soft touch, a terrific follow through, great footwork, and an extremely confident stroke.

The threat of the jumper is what opens everything else up for him. He’s a patient driver, and can get all the way to the rim in advantageous situations. Once he gets there, he’s a really high-level finisher. Made 61.5 percent of his shots at the rim in half court settings this year, as he has a variety of contortionist finishes inside. Really creative and does a great job changing the angle on rim protectors. Uses his frame well. Didn’t make his floaters this year, but has all of the tools you need to have an effective floater at the next level.

I’ll also note that I think Terry’s 3.2 assists per game underrate his passing ability a touch. He’s a really, really smart player who sees all of the open passes and plays in an extremely unselfish manner. He’s more than willing to throw passes that don’t necessarily lead to assists around the perimeter just to keep the offense fine-tuned and moving. Always hits the open man when that guy is available. Terrific in transition at hitting the man leaking out downcourt. Very patient and draws defenders toward him, then hits the pass. Typically, much better hitting guys around the basket with little wraparounds and dump-offs. The way he plays is very conducive to a well-oiled, ball-movement offense.

WEAKNESSES: Having said that above on his passing, I’m a bit worried about him as an overall playmaker. He played this season at around 160 pounds, and is now up to 170 throughout the pre-draft process. He’s tough, plays hard and isn’t afraid of the contact, but it’s just really difficult for him to play through and absorb contact right now at that weight. Needs to keep getting stronger, otherwise some of the more physical defenders in the NBA could really cause him some issues.

What you see there now is that, in general, Terry isn’t a particularly high-level ballhandler. He doesn’t really create separation consistently enough and get into the teeth of the defense. He can do so with a ball screen, but more athletic players can recover onto him from behind. He tries to use his body to shield the ball away from defenders, but it doesn’t always work as well as you’d hope because of that lack of strength. He generally also has a pretty high handle, and doesn’t really have much in terms of stringing together advanced moves. Given that he also has a relative lack of burst, that can be an issue. Can pull off a hesitation followed by a crossover, but for the most part he’s driving in a straight line. Really needs to improve his handle in order to break down defenses. Last season, Terry only took about 1.6 shots at the rim in the halfcourt per game, a low number for a point guard. Also only created 10 attempts in isolation, period, all year last season. Needs a ballscreen to get free.

You also see this ball control issue a bit in his passing ability. Very good from a stationary position when he can survey the court, but not much of a live-dribble passer. Can make a few going toward the rim and hitting dump-off passes or rollers. But for the most part has to jump stop or settle quickly, then hit a pass. Not much of a one-handed passer on the move. He has the vision and sees the court well, I think it’s just a matter of being able execute some of the passes right now. I think I’d bet on him being more of a positive than a negative from a ball-movement perspective, but he might not exactly be a traditional lead guard in the heliocentric sense of the word within the construct of the modern NBA.

Finally, Terry’s defense is a very real concern simply due to his size, strength and athleticism. He’s really smart and knows where to be, but he just can’t stay in front of anyone and was typically a mismatch magnet even in college. Can’t play a switching defense with him right now. If you switch him onto an NBA big, he’ll get buried inside. Even on some of the bigger, stronger wings the NBA has to offer, Terry would get shot over the top of consistently. He also really struggles on screens right now. Basically, any on-ball action, I don’t have a ton of faith at the moment. I have some very real concerns about whether or not Terry’s offense will outweigh his defense enough for him to be a consistent starter in the NBA. There are definitely coaches out there who could actualize his ability to battle and willingness to make plays off the ball. But it’s going to be a bit situational.

SUMMARY: I really like Terry, and think he has a chance to be a major part of some winning teams. He’s a genuinely elite level shooter, a terrific decision-maker who processes the game at a really high level, and a very high-level competitor. I don’t think it’s an accident that Stanford got a lot better last year by essentially replacing 2019 No. 32 overall pick KZ Okpala with Terry. Terry is a winner. I’m just not necessarily convinced he’s going to be able to handle being a lead guard and top offensive initiator in the NBA, which creates some questions at his size. Honestly, the guy this skillset reminds me most of is Steve Kerr. Kerr was incredibly skinny entering his career at Arizona, but was a clear basketball genius who had an exceptionally high skill level – particularly as a shooter. They also overlap in how incredibly competitive they both are. To me, that guy is absolutely worth a first-round pick somewhere in the back half of the first round. You give me someone who I know will knock down shots, who I can trust to always compete, and who plays in a way that helps make his teammates better? Yeah, I’m in on that. It just might take some time as Terry keeps getting bigger and stronger.

GRADE: 80. Second half of the first round.

Last edited by MFFL; 11-18-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/...896070656?s=20

Dude can bounce. Giving some DSJ vibes
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHWZH9WWb6E
Dallas Mavs Tyrell Terry Could Be The STEAL Of The NBA Draft!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

His quick release reminds me of Trae Young's shot. Looks about the same size as Young too.

That release should help overcome his small size/wingspan.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
His quick release reminds me of Trae Young's shot. Looks about the same size as Young too.

That release should help overcome his small size/wingspan.

I'd say he's definitely bigger than Trae but less of a quick twitch athlete.

Terry is probably 1-2 years away from being a significant contributor, butI really think he's going to be a major contributor at some point.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I'd say he's definitely bigger than Trae but less of a quick twitch athlete.

Terry is probably 1-2 years away from being a significant contributor, butI really think he's going to be a major contributor at some point.
What is his ceiling to you? Like 6th or 7th man and getting solid rotation minutes?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
What is his ceiling to you? Like 6th or 7th man and getting solid rotation minutes?

Sorry missed this question...

You know I think it ultimately depends on how much his frame fills out and his ability to guard the pick and roll. If he's getting targeted every possession he can't be out there despite his shooting (which is why I think he fell). If he can hold his own on that end he'll be fine.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
tap2390
Diamond Member

Posted this website's write-up of Josh Green in the other thread. Here's their write-up of Tyrell Terry:

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-dr...t-tyrell-terry

HIGHLIGHTS
-1.5 PPP off the catch (99th percentile)
-1.409 PPP running off screens (95th percentile)
-.863 PPP scoring off the pick-and-roll (77th percentile)
-.912 PPP passing out of the pick and roll (72nd percentile)
-1.462 PPP driving to the basket off a pick (96th percentile)
-.984 PPP on pull up jumpers off a pick (71st percentile)

LOWLIGHTS
-ALL things defense
-.761 PPP on shots off the dribble (50th percentile)

Basically, reiterates what we all knew. Terry is undersized and struggles defensively. He also struggles in isolation situations as he operates best spotting up or working off of picks. We need to be extremely patient. Terry is probably two years away from being viable defensively. Steph Curry entered the league after three years of college ball but was still a negative on defense for years. I don't expect Terry to see the floor much, if at all, this year.

Website had Terry as the 20th best prospect.

Last edited by tap2390; 11-28-2020 at 01:10 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Posted this website's write-up of Josh Green in the other thread. Here's their write-up of Tyrell Terry:

https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-dr...t-tyrell-terry

HIGHLIGHTS
-1.5 PPP off the catch (99th percentile)
-1.409 PPP running off screens (95th percentile)
-.863 PPP scoring off the pick-and-roll (77th percentile)
-.912 PPP passing out of the pick and roll (72nd percentile)
-1.462 PPP driving to the basket off a pick (96th percentile)
-.984 PPP on pull up jumpers off a pick (71st percentile)

LOWLIGHTS
-ALL things defense
-.761 PPP on shots off the dribble (50th percentile)

Basically, reiterates what we all knew. Terry is undersized and struggles defensively. He also struggles in isolation situations as he operates best spotting up or working off of picks. We need to be extremely patient. Terry is probably two years away from being viable defensively. Steph Curry entered the league after three years of college ball but was still a negative on defense for years. I don't expect Terry to see the floor much, if at all, this year.
Those shooting stats are going to be solid as hell next to Doncic. Basically, he was the best in the league when he got the pass and shot it. That's exactly what we need for him. He was totally mediocre when he drove and shot a jumper-- something that Rick would probably pull him if he did.

Also he won't be small next to Doncic. 6'3" Terry, 6'6" THJ, and 6'8" Doncic. That's a solid 1-3.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-28-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Seth Curry
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Those shooting stats are going to be solid as hell next to Doncic. Basically, he was the best in the league when he got the pass and shot it. That's exactly what we need for him. He was totally mediocre when he drove and shot a jumper-- something that Rick would probably pull him if he did.

Also he won't be small next to Doncic. 6'3" Terry, 6'6" THJ, and 6'8" Doncic. That's a solid 1-3.

I don't think it matters who else is out there if Terry is the one getting targeted and is stuck defending isos and pick-and-rolls.

IMO Terry isn't ready for the NBA and I'd be shocked to see him get any minutes this season.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Seth Curry

I think he can be way better that Curry for several reasons:

-quicker release
-better ball handler and running the pick and roll
-better shooting off the dribble
Old 11-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #14
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Whats interesting is who the Mavs had higher, Terry or Bane.

I think they take Bane If Memphis doesnt jump in. Because of defense and readiness
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think it matters who else is out there if Terry is the one getting targeted and is stuck defending isos and pick-and-rolls.

IMO Terry isn't ready for the NBA and I'd be shocked to see him get any minutes this season.
I think Terry will be ready for the NBA but I agree that he probably won't get many minutes this season. Burke and Brunson will get most of the minutes but I do think Rick will at least give Terry a small look and hopefully he'll make an immediate impact like Yogi did and get more time.

Terry seems to have all of the attributes to be successful in this league and he should flourish in this system. Also, the Mavs have the pieces now to make up for one dimensional offensive players so his lack of defense will not be a big problem. Terry will also benefit from the absence of Curry and will most likely be our best sharp shooter which should make him a need at some point in the season.

Worst case: John Jenkins
Best case (long-term): Trae Young

I have extremely high expectations for him in the long-term, more than any of the other acquisitions this off-season.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #16
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think he can be way better that Curry for several reasons:

-quicker release
-better ball handler and running the pick and roll
-better shooting off the dribble
Agreed. He seems to have more of an instinct for creating shots for others, too.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #17
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Agreed. He seems to have more of an instinct for creating shots for others, too.
The thing that bothered me the most about Curry is how passive he seems to be in all aspects of his game. He seems pretty smooth but I've always thought he could be a much better all around player if he would have been more aggressive like his brother.
Terry seems to be much more aggressive and probably won't pass up some good looks like Curry often did.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
The thing that bothered me the most about Curry is how passive he seems to be in all aspects of his game. He seems pretty smooth but I've always thought he could be a much better all around player if he would have been more aggressive like his brother.
Terry seems to be much more aggressive and probably won't pass up some good looks like Curry often did.
I think what made him so cool and successful is that he was just cool as a cucumber. He just seemed to hit everything but also seemed to have that killer instinct.

Not saying Terry is better, but Curry really did lack that edge.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #19
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, for sure. At that size, you really need to have a killer instinct just to get shots off, let alone make them.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #20
KillerLeft

The clock on Terry is going to be: how long will it take him to be playable on the defensive end? If that takes a year, I like Carlisle's chances of making him a bright spot in the rotation. If that takes his entire rookie contract, I think we'll look back on this and wish they had gotten Bane, who probably doesn't have the same upside but is much more NBA ready.

Now that we know both Brunson and Burke will be in line ahead of Terry (or Bane) at the minutes buffet, I think I'm more excited about the guy they got than the guy they didn't get. But, we'll see.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #21
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The clock on Terry is going to be: how long will it take him to be playable on the defensive end? If that takes a year, I like Carlisle's chances of making him a bright spot in the rotation. If that takes his entire rookie contract, I think we'll look back on this and wish they had gotten Bane, who probably doesn't have the same upside but is much more NBA ready.

Now that we know both Brunson and Burke will be in line ahead of Terry (or Bane) at the minutes buffet, I think I'm more excited about the guy they got than the guy they didn't get. But, we'll see.
We had no chance at Bane. He was gone before we picked at 31.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #22
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
We had no chance at Bane. He was gone before we picked at 31.
lol, I'm aware.

But, there's a reason Boston traded directly in front of the Mavs to take him. I think the Mavs planned to take whichever player was there at 31, either Bane or Terry. And, I'm sure they were aware the 30th pick was being shopped on draft night. My point was that if it takes Terry the entire length of his contract year to become playable on the defensive end, we might end up wishing they had specifically targeted Bane, and not had the "either of them" approach. They could've moved up just as easily as Boston. More easily, actually.

But who knows, maybe they didn't even want Bane and tricked people into thinking they did. I don't think so, but it's possible. I'm almost certain that's what they did with Pokusevski at #18. I think there were some major smokescreens there.

Did you really think I posted that thought without knowing where Bane went in the draft?

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-29-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:32 AM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...177600512?s=21

I know it’s not defended and in game but this gets me excited for the kid.

As Seth proved— you really only need to have one elite skill to find playing time. If Terry can translate that shot into real games, he may find his footing in the NBA and could be a real steal

Also really love that he went in the second round. Dude has first round talent but will come in starving like a second rounder who knows that time is earned.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #24
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
lol, I'm aware.

But, there's a reason Boston traded directly in front of the Mavs to take him. I think the Mavs planned to take whichever player was there at 31, either Bane or Terry. And, I'm sure they were aware the 30th pick was being shopped on draft night. My point was that if it takes Terry the entire length of his contract year to become playable on the defensive end, we might end up wishing they had specifically targeted Bane, and not had the "either of them" approach. They could've moved up just as easily as Boston. More easily, actually.

But who knows, maybe they didn't even want Bane and tricked people into thinking they did. I don't think so, but it's possible. I'm almost certain that's what they did with Pokusevski at #18. I think there were some major smokescreens there.

Did you really think I posted that thought without knowing where Bane went in the draft?
Actually the Grizzlies made the trade to get that pick from Boston and got Bane but I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs had Terry in their sights all along...especially if they knew the trade with the Sixers was there before they made the pick at 31. Mavs had already taken Green (made that pick quickly) and then traded a small sharp shooter for another player that played a similar position as Bane. That made Terry a great potential replacement for Curry.

I do think the Mavs would have taken Bane if Memphis would have taken Terry but my guess is that Terry was the guy they preferred.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #25
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...177600512?s=21

I know it’s not defended and in game but this gets me excited for the kid.

As Seth proved— you really only need to have one elite skill to find playing time. If Terry can translate that shot into real games, he may find his footing in the NBA and could be a real steal

Also really love that he went in the second round. Dude has first round talent but will come in starving like a second rounder who knows that time is earned.
The low release is a bit concerning but one of his strengths is that he has a quick one and is accurate.

It won't take long for Carlisle to give this guy an opportunity, and if he can show any sign of success, he will probably get more opportunity. You know how Rick loves his shooters and this guy could easily become one of our best shooters this season. Question will be if he becomes another Curry, or another Broekoff.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Don’t need a high release with a teammate like Doncic pulling so much gravity off you.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #27
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Don’t need a high release with a teammate like Doncic pulling so much gravity off you.
True.

Terry seems to have a little bit of Barea, JET and Curry in him. He can obviously shoot like Curry and JET but he can also seem to get wherever he wants on the court with or without the ball like Barea.
He is pretty crafty driving and finishing and a much better passer than I originally thought. Maybe even a little bit of Nash in him.
He plays extremely smart and has good instincts but plays with a lot of confidence like JET.

This kid is gonna become something special for this team....I can just sense it.
I'm not so sure about the other rookies.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-06-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #28
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really concerned about the low release. He has a quick fire shot which is far more important as any type of height release shot can be contested if not taken fast enough.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #29
KillerLeft

Quote:
I do think the Mavs would have taken Bane if Memphis would have taken Terry but my guess is that Terry was the guy they preferred.
Yeah, you might be right. We'll never know for sure. But the Mavs have a history of tricking teams to do this type of thing. They're better at the draft than we give them credit for.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #30
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm not really concerned about the low release. He has a quick fire shot which is far more important as any type of height release shot can be contested if not taken fast enough.
Terry has already become a favorite of mine so I've been watching a ton of video of him and the one thing that impresses the hell out of me, and why I think he will do quite well in this league, is his intelligence and ability to position himself well against defenders so I do agree the low release shouldn't be big concern. You see it when he plays off the ball which will be a dream for Luka and you see it when he creates his own shot. You also see it when he drives to the basket as he knows how to elude and trick defenders much like Nash and Barea can do.

The art of PG play is much like martial arts in the fact of getting the bigger person to over commit or get off balance to gain the edge of quickness. Some get it and some don't. This kid seems to have that knack and will become a tremendous weapon in our offense. I'm a big KC Chiefs fan and the Mavs taking Terry reminds me of the Chiefs taking Clyde Edwards-Helaire at the end of the 1st round and thinking they got an absolute gem that would fit their system. Terry gives me the same vibes as a Mavs fan.

Donnie absolutely hit it out of the park with this pick imho.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-06-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, you might be right. We'll never know for sure. But the Mavs have a history of tricking teams to do this type of thing. They're better at the draft than we give them credit for.
Well one time we faked out a team and they took French Frank and we took Dennis Smith. Bam, Mitchell and John Collins were left on the board

The only reason that draft wouldn't have sucked was because we would have had to send whatever player we drafted to the Knicks in the Porzingis trade
Old 12-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Well one time we faked out a team and they took French Frank and we took Dennis Smith. Bam, Mitchell and John Collins were left on the board

The only reason that draft wouldn't have sucked was because we would have had to send whatever player we drafted to the Knicks in the Porzingis trade
Obviously a height difference, but I think the comparison is apt. At worst he's Broek. At best he's Curry with more defensive and playmaking upside.

The real issue is going to be training/athleticism. Broek got PT because of his shooting, but ultimately didn't make t he roster because he wasn't strong or fast enough for his position.

Terry won't have as many issues with strength and he has good height/length for a PG, but he has to either be smart defensively or work on his quickness-- or both.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #33
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:

I know we likely would have had to give him up, but man a frontcourt of Bam + KP would be championship material.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Random, but I love this line from draft night

“Luka [Dončić] messaged me telling me congratulations and if I need anything to hit him up and to just enjoy the moment,” Terry described to me. “It meant a lot to me to have him reach out to me that early.”

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-07-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #35
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Random, but I love this line from draft night

“Luka [Dončić] messaged me telling me congratulations and if I need anything to hit him up and to just enjoy the moment,” Terry described to me. “It meant a lot to me to have him reach out to me that early.”
this is worth stowing away somewhere and will be an interesting story to follow in terms of Luka's growth/development as a leader. On court with his play there's no question his being a floor general with the ball especially but how's it going to be with his relationship with teammates and is he going to be the type to be vocal and call people out and hold them accountable? At this stage of things, something simple as reaching out to new guys is a good sign of things.

(note to self for the millionth time - he's only 21!)
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #36
GQ2003

GQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really niceGQ2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
this is worth stowing away somewhere and will be an interesting story to follow in terms of Luka's growth/development as a leader. On court with his play there's no question his being a floor general with the ball especially but how's it going to be with his relationship with teammates and is he going to be the type to be vocal and call people out and hold them accountable? At this stage of things, something simple as reaching out to new guys is a good sign of things.

(note to self for the millionth time - he's only 21!)
I think this is another area where James Johnson will prove to be valuable as a lot of guys in Miami and even Tyler Bey have already acknowledged how he's one that's taken a lot of younger players under his wing and shown them how to be a professional in this league and isn't afraid to call folks out when they aren't meeting the standard. I think having a guy like that will be great for the entire team but especially Luka.
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Carlisle on G Tyrell Terry. "He had a phenomenal day today with that 3rd unit. Those guys were on offense as we were doing some defensive stuff and he stretched his range out and he threw in some really great shots today and showed his range and showed his ability to get it going."
Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #38
MFFL
Guru

Brad Townsend
@townbrad
·
8m
A source close to the situation assures me that Tyrell Terry's absence from the Mavericks is strictly due to a personal issue -- and has nothing to do with his feelings about being a Maverick, or the franchise's feelings about him.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Brad Townsend
@townbrad
·
8m
A source close to the situation assures me that Tyrell Terry's absence from the Mavericks is strictly due to a personal issue -- and has nothing to do with his feelings about being a Maverick, or the franchise's feelings about him.
I mean, good?

He hasn't played since the 25th of February, though. That's an entire month away from teams.

I know the Mavs are supportive, but that's still a concern.