Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #41
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
This was a good win. We didn't fall to a lesser team after letting up with a big lead.

My thoughts on Dragic.
I don't buy a ton of stock on that Dragic would help Luka all that much. Luka was in an elite realm the second he stepped on the floor for the first time in the NBA. Yea he makes some bad decisions with the early step back or long range 3s. He can get those 3s off anytime, there's no need to do it early in the shot clock while holding a lead. My understanding of why Luka takes some I'll advised 3s is to keep his defender from going under the PnR. If he keeps them chasing him over and around it, he's more effective and can create more off the roll. It's strategy, not ego. But that doesn't excuse the super early launches. He has killer instinct and wants to crush opponents, he doesn't think he's going to miss those. When he does he will admit post game that they were bad decisions.

Not all situations are the same but I have a really close friend who is top 5 disc golfer on the professional tour. I have more experience in the game so he likes for me to caddy and advise. I'm not as athletic anymore and aged out of that level of competition as it has grown leaps and bounds in the last 3 years. That said, I feel like I'm a top level caddy and maybe Dragic could provide the same type of role but it's not easy to make a better player feel what you're saying is right. Even if it sounds right. They have to be constantly programmed to make the right decision and it takes experiencing the wrong results often for that programming to seed itself and grow into instincts. Heat of the moment makes people short circuit out of thinking and emotional chaos can set in. That's where guys like Kidd and Dirk were so good at making decisions by the point of their career where we were on a championship run. They didn't give many games away with bad possessions. I think Kidd is as capable as Dragic in regards to helping Lukas programming.
Two good points, but the second may have convinced you to go get Dragic.

While Kidd can do a lot of what Dragic could provide, he's the head coach who is responsible for all 15-17 players and coaches. It's tough to say he'd have the same amount of attention to give to Luka on smaller things like this, which could also be touchy for reasons in your first point. Luka is a world class basketballer. Not every one of these types receive the small criticism well. But from a close friend and national teammate? Could make a world of difference.

Last edited by saclare; 02-18-2022 at 10:35 AM.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #42
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Two good points, but the second may have convinced you to go get Dragic.

While Kidd can do a lot of what Dragic could provide, he's the head coach who is responsible for all 15-17 players and coaches. It's tough to say he'd have the same amount of attention to give to Luka on smaller things like this, which could also be touchy for reasons in your first point. Luka is a world class basketballer. Not every one of these types receive the small criticism well. But from a close friend and national teammate? Could make a world of difference.
Yea. That is one thing I thought of while writing that out but didn't include. Kidd having the rest of the team to handle is a good point. I meant to include that.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #43
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I am honestly really happy theres another dribbler/creator.

It will take a minute for Dinwiddie to find his spots in the game, but its gonna provide relief to Luka and Jalen.

Bertans jury is out
Old 02-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dinwiddie- has a set of skills we need. Really like his game and how Kidd rotated him in with Brunson to always have two playmakers. His offense was rough but Pelicans played amazing defense and he’s only in his second game with us. I want to see him confident in game 82 or the playoffs— and after training camp next year

Bertans- his value is in his shooting and spacing. He gave us spacing last night but that jumper was rough. He’s a guy who can shoot 1-5 and then hit four straight. Shooters— particularly low volume spark plug shooters like Bertans will be streaky. I’m fine with that. He’s playing with energy. He’s just lost on both sides of the ball at times. Going to credit that to being his second game.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-18-2022 at 12:47 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:46 PM   #45
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I am honestly really happy theres another dribbler/creator.

It will take a minute for Dinwiddie to find his spots in the game, but its gonna provide relief to Luka and Jalen.

Bertans jury is out
Would a 4th hurt in Dragic? I'm thinking it would be more of a solid plus instead of a luxury. Noted above about help with Luka, but Dragic (at least maybe closer to his prime) is what we could have all hoped Brunson would turn into, if he's not already there or close.

Bertans just needs to hit his shots/open looks. He will never provide equal value to his contract, just gonna have put that number out of sight lol
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:03 PM   #46
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs look to pick up some wins against the Big Easy part of their schedule.

Pinson - out
Chriss - out
Bullock - hip - questionable (upgraded from doubtful)
Franky smokes - ankle - questionable
Burke - shoulder - questionable

Zion - filming season 2 of My 600-lb Life
Nance - out
Lewis - out

Pelicans are dangerous. Mavs have to take care of business.
Kidd says everyone injured is now healthy enough to play Friday.

I assume he means everyone but THJ
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #47
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hopefully.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:54 PM   #48
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dallas Mavericks PR: Reggie Bullock (right hip contusion) and Trey Burke (left shoulder sprain) are both questionable for tomorrow night’s game in Utah. Marquese Chriss (right knee soreness) is doubtful. Tim Hardaway Jr. (left foot surgery) and Theo Pinson (right fifth finger fracture) are out. – via Twitter MavsPR
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote