Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-02-2022, 11:36 PM   #121
JTmoney2424

JTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of lightJTmoney2424 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
So what does Kidd do moving forward?

It looks like Powell for the 2nd straight series is just a guy eating up minutes wothout contributing

SD seems to have lost his swagger

Brunson might be too undersized to get off good shots vs the Suns long defenders.

CP3, Booker and Ayton is a 3 headed monster that always seem to punish the Mavs.
I’m not sure what he can do. There isn’t any personnel changes that can be made. They just have to step up the defensive intensity like they did in the 4th quarter and rebound better and shoot a higher %. Dinwiddie needs to get his head out of his ass and play like he did during the regular season. The playoff Dinwiddie is exactly why Washington let him go so easily.
JTmoney2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2022, 11:37 PM   #122
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Maxi will not have another offensive game like this the remainder of the series. Brunson and Dinwiddie are the 2 guys that absolutely have to produce consistent offense with Luka for the Mavs to have any chance at all.
And the Suns fans were chanting 4-0

They fully expect to sweep Dallas LOL

My issue is we start the worst center of all the teams who made the playoffs and it has shown back to back series now.

Still haven't found a gameplan to neutralize Booker or Paul. But then again those two guys don't rely on 3's which makes it tough for Dallas.

I thought the Mavs had a legit shot to win this series in 6 games. These game sort of took away some of confidence.

But hey Kidd has been solid all year in making adjustments.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:43 PM   #123
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTmoney2424 View Post
I’m not sure what he can do. There isn’t any personnel changes that can be made. They just have to step up the defensive intensity like they did in the 4th quarter and rebound better and shoot a higher %. Dinwiddie needs to get his head out of his ass and play like he did during the regular season. The playoff Dinwiddie is exactly why Washington let him go so easily.
I think one strategic move would be to insert Kleber into the starting lineup.

Defensively, move Brunson over to CP3 he just can't keep defending bigger guys.

Those are just two little tweaks I would make after watching this game.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:45 PM   #124
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
What happened? Stopped watching
Jumped the gun I thought he pulled a hamstring
Old 05-02-2022, 11:47 PM   #125
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Suns with the 50-40-100 game

AS A TEAM
And 50%+ as a team every game in the playoffs so far.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:48 PM   #126
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
I think one strategic move would be to insert Kleber into the starting lineup.

Defensively, move Brunson over to CP3 he just can't keep defending bigger guys.

Those are just two little tweaks I would make after watching this game.
I agree on Brunson too. CP3 struggles with guys that are near his height and can get as low as him. Alvarado was in his shit, but he’s got too many moves for a taller guy.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:45 AM   #127
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I agree on Brunson too. CP3 struggles with guys that are near his height and can get as low as him. Alvarado was in his shit, but he’s got too many moves for a taller guy.
speaking of Brunson

This analysis was spot on about how Phoenix contained him.

The Suns started the game with Jae Crowder guarding JB, and they were not afraid to switch. Brunson struggled against Crowder’s size and strength.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #128
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough team. Phoenix is just built better. It doesn't help that they hit everything they remotely threw at thr basket. If that continues, then we are on thr express lane to the offseason.

JB needs to be on CP3 more often.

We hit 3s at that clip and it's wasted because we can't get any stops.

DFS is going to have to step it up.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:08 AM   #129
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

At least there was some fight at the end, and it seems the Mavs started figuring some ways to pay better.

I feel like small ball with DFS at the 5 might be a way to go although Phx can adjust to that themselves. I'd start Kleber and just frankly not play Powell at all if it was up to me.

To play small ball though they have to get something from Green. He just doesn't seem to have it, I don't know what else to say. We need more than just raw hustle.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #130
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

The Mavs can only hope and pray that last nights game was the best that Phoenix will play this series.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:34 AM   #131
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Holy hell boys and girls, it's one game. Calm down with the sky is falling talk.

Yea, this one wasn't particularly close, despite the few efforts to cut the lead into single digits. But, I see plenty of opportunity for this Mavs squad to be very competitive in this one.

First, hats of to the Suns who simply weren't missing a lot of shots. 100% from the line where we missed 7 - oh lookie there, the difference in the game. Aside from that, encouraging they wish to play Luka like they did, as he will get his and guys will keep getting open looks. The other guys just need to simply make more. Maxi won't come out and hit 5+ threes a game but plenty of room for improvement for guys like DFS, JB, Bullock, Dinwiddie, etc. to hit some damn shots.

I don't subscribe to the JB slander just yet. Sure, the Suns are a longer/bigger defending team. However, JB missed a lot around the rim and the Suns then collapsed the outside for him. Again, would help for him to make a couple 3's to open up his game, but I didn't see him bottled up the same way as last year.

Defense. Have to be better, and I'm most concerned inside. Ayton and even McGee offer a different beast to tame on offense than Gobert. I thought guys were flying around the perimeter and they did get some open looks. But again, as good of a shooting team that PHX is I just don't see them hitting shots at that clip all series.

There's definitely a path for the Mavs to pull this one off. A game 2 adjustment and W would be HUGE. Let's also not discount that place was rocking and we are back to having full fledge home court advantage for sure. Can't wait to see the AAC the same.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #132
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Some observations:
  • Suns played a great game. If they play at that level for the entire series, the Mavs are in real trouble.
  • The game was all but over when JB got into early foul trouble. Having to go to the bench half way through the first quarter really hurt the Mavs offensive rhythm.
  • Same for Bullock. He picked up two fouls early, which amplified the poor start for the Mavs.
  • This early foul trouble impacted the defensive intensity for the Mavs. The fouls evened out a bit as the game progressed, but the damage was done early on with those critical fouls imo.
  • Powell was a nonfactor. What does it mean when the "heart and soul" of the team doesn't show up? I think Kidd should put him on a very short leash or just bench him.
  • CP3 was otherworldly. Mavs need to disrupt his game by sending different and multiple defenders at him. That includes Josh and Frank. Wear him down.
  • Ayton had a field day and could get whatever he wanted. Since the Mavs have no bigs to match up, perhaps they need to double down on him with perimeter defenders on occasion. At the minimum make him think he might get double teamed. Alternatively, give Chriss some PT and have him get physical with Ayton. Mavs have got to get into the heads of the Suns players a bit.
  • Brunson and Dinwiddie were both tentative. They need to penetrate and make the Suns play defense. Hopefully, draw some fouls.
  • Suns played with more energy early on and the Mavs seemed two or three steps slow. Were the Mavs not prepared for the quickness and athleticism of Phoenix or is it they just can't match up? Kidd needs to do a reality check on his personnel and search for a new game plan if it is the latter.
  • Someone needs to smack Javale Mcgee. You can't let that guy push you around and have the kind of impact on the game he had last night. No way do you let him do that again.

I still think this series is winnable. But the Mavs have got to find a way to play a more intense defense without fouling. How the refs call the game is unfortunately a big factor, but many times the aggressor is rewarded. I am also praying the Mavs 3-pt shooting continues at a high level.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #133
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
At least there was some fight at the end, and it seems the Mavs started figuring some ways to pay better.

I feel like small ball with DFS at the 5 might be a way to go although Phx can adjust to that themselves. I'd start Kleber and just frankly not play Powell at all if it was up to me.

To play small ball though they have to get something from Green. He just doesn't seem to have it, I don't know what else to say. We need more than just raw hustle.
speaking of raw hustle, id put trey burke on CP3 for 10-12 minutes next game
Old 05-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #134
Melonhead
Guru

Luka also can get a little bit of blame. Came out SLOWWWWWWW with two turnovers. He needs a little more self awareness when it comes to who they are playing. This isnt Utah

Overall, not mad at the game. I expected Suns to get to the finals again, everyone is as good as last year or better. And Mavs overall just dont match up well.

Last edited by Melonhead; 05-03-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #135
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Don't panic yet

Mavs didn't play well. We didn't see the devastating one on one situations until late in the game and the Mavs caught up a bit. Mavs should do their pick and roll until the Suns figure it out. Once the Brunson and Dinwiddie start doing their one on ones, they should be ok. Mavs just came out a bit intimidated. I think Mavs can come back and win the second game. Mavs should continue with 3 point shooting as the misses bounce far from the hoop and they have a better chance to get them again.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #136
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Some observations:
  • Suns played a great game. If they play at that level for the entire series, the Mavs are in real trouble.
  • The game was all but over when JB got into early foul trouble. Having to go to the bench half way through the first quarter really hurt the Mavs offensive rhythm.
  • Same for Bullock. He picked up two fouls early, which amplified the poor start for the Mavs.
  • This early foul trouble impacted the defensive intensity for the Mavs. The fouls evened out a bit as the game progressed, but the damage was done early on with those critical fouls imo.
  • Powell was a nonfactor. What does it mean when the "heart and soul" of the team doesn't show up? I think Kidd should put him on a very short leash or just bench him.
  • CP3 was otherworldly. Mavs need to disrupt his game by sending different and multiple defenders at him. That includes Josh and Frank. Wear him down.
  • Ayton had a field day and could get whatever he wanted. Since the Mavs have no bigs to match up, perhaps they need to double down on him with perimeter defenders on occasion. At the minimum make him think he might get double teamed. Alternatively, give Chriss some PT and have him get physical with Ayton. Mavs have got to get into the heads of the Suns players a bit.
  • Brunson and Dinwiddie were both tentative. They need to penetrate and make the Suns play defense. Hopefully, draw some fouls.
  • Suns played with more energy early on and the Mavs seemed two or three steps slow. Were the Mavs not prepared for the quickness and athleticism of Phoenix or is it they just can't match up? Kidd needs to do a reality check on his personnel and search for a new game plan if it is the latter.
  • Someone needs to smack Javale Mcgee. You can't let that guy push you around and have the kind of impact on the game he had last night. No way do you let him do that again.

I still think this series is winnable. But the Mavs have got to find a way to play a more intense defense without fouling. How the refs call the game is unfortunately a big factor, but many times the aggressor is rewarded. I am also praying the Mavs 3-pt shooting continues at a high level.
This is an excellent summation. I think we need to see more of Frankie. Dinwiddie and Brunson need to show up with confidence— both are overthinking and tentative and we can’t do anything in this series without them. If Powell cant offer anything I’d love to see some Chriss. He’s at least a more physical body. Green wasn’t good offensively but I’d still give him more minutes; he at least looks like an NBA athlete to compete with Phoenix’s talent out there. Man this team lacks athleticism.

Also, run more. Luka needs to push the pace, especially when Green is in the game. Try to get some easy baskets, everything is such a slog. More Green, Frank and some Chriss. Less Powell and Dinwiddie if he doesn’t show something in his first shift on Wednesday.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #137
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Holy hell boys and girls, it's one game. Calm down with the sky is falling talk.

Yea, this one wasn't particularly close, despite the few efforts to cut the lead into single digits. But, I see plenty of opportunity for this Mavs squad to be very competitive in this one.

First, hats of to the Suns who simply weren't missing a lot of shots. 100% from the line where we missed 7 - oh lookie there, the difference in the game. Aside from that, encouraging they wish to play Luka like they did, as he will get his and guys will keep getting open looks. The other guys just need to simply make more. Maxi won't come out and hit 5+ threes a game but plenty of room for improvement for guys like DFS, JB, Bullock, Dinwiddie, etc. to hit some damn shots.

I don't subscribe to the JB slander just yet. Sure, the Suns are a longer/bigger defending team. However, JB missed a lot around the rim and the Suns then collapsed the outside for him. Again, would help for him to make a couple 3's to open up his game, but I didn't see him bottled up the same way as last year.

Defense. Have to be better, and I'm most concerned inside. Ayton and even McGee offer a different beast to tame on offense than Gobert. I thought guys were flying around the perimeter and they did get some open looks. But again, as good of a shooting team that PHX is I just don't see them hitting shots at that clip all series.

There's definitely a path for the Mavs to pull this one off. A game 2 adjustment and W would be HUGE. Let's also not discount that place was rocking and we are back to having full fledge home court advantage for sure. Can't wait to see the AAC the same.
It's not just one game though. They have had our number for a while now. They're really good.

I agree we can beat them but we need to be much better at scrambling on defense.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:55 PM   #138
SMC0007
Guru

I don't expect to see Chriss or Frankie very much. Especially Chriss. Those 2 haven't been considered a weapon and the margins are even more thin. Barring injuries, they are getting very very limited minutes for the remainder.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #139
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I don't expect to see Chriss or Frankie very much. Especially Chriss. Those 2 haven't been considered a weapon and the margins are even more thin. Barring injuries, they are getting very very limited minutes for the remainder.
Frankie can really defend though and he shoots it with confidence. Not sure he can be much worse than SD was the other night.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #140
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I'm surprised no one has suggested that Brunson needs more opportunities with the ball his hand to run the offense.

This Game he was more of a bystander instead of an attacker.

I said this in the Utah series Luka is great, but the Mavs are at their best when the ball doesn't stick to Luka and they are swinging it around after Brunson gets down hill.

Luka IMO is the best post up threat that we have on this team.

What Ayton does to our big's Luka can replicate that by playing off ball and posting up his defenders in the mid post or low post.

I think that adds more flexibility to the Mavs offense and could lead to more fouls on the Phoenix defenders.

That PNR with Powell didn't work vs Utah and it looks like Phoenix isn't going to let that happen either.

Start Kleber play 5 out use Luka more in the post when Kleber draws Ayton out the paint.

Defensively they need to move Brunson over to CP3 putting him on these bigger players get's him in foul trouble early on wears him down.

At one point I saw Brunson battling with Ayton in the paint on post up.....

And finally keep Powell off the floor unless someone McGee is in the game or someone is in foul trouble

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-03-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:48 PM   #141
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has suggested that Brunson needs more opportunities with the ball his hand to run the offense.

This Game he was more of a bystander instead of an attacker.

I said this in the Utah series Luka is great, but the Mavs are at their best when the ball doesn't stick to Luka and they are swinging it around after Brunson gets down hill.

Luka IMO is the best post up threat that we have on this team.

What Ayton does to our big's Luka can replicate that by playing off ball and posting up his defenders in the mid post or low post.

I think that adds more flexibility to the Mavs offense and could lead to more fouls on the Phoenix defenders.

That PNR with Powell didn't work vs Utah and it looks like Phoenix isn't going to let that happen either.

Start Kleber play 5 out use Luka more in the post when Kleber draws Ayton out the paint.

Defensively they need to move Brunson over to CP3 putting him on these bigger players get's him in foul trouble early on wears him down.

At one point I saw Brunson battling with Ayton in the paint on post up.....

And finally keep Powell off the floor unless someone McGee is in the game or someone is in foul trouble
I feel like I've said Luka needs to be in the mid post or on the block about 247 times. It puts the ball in JBs hands more and Luka can get easy bucket or draw fouls. I'm starting to think the coaching staff doesn't check this board for ideas when they're not successful.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #142
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I feel like I've said Luka needs to be in the mid post or on the block about 247 times. It puts the ball in JBs hands more and Luka can get easy bucket or draw fouls. I'm starting to think the coaching staff doesn't check this board for ideas when they're not successful.
I'm not sure he can get 247 post up's per game LOL

But I do believe putting him in that mid range post area like how they used Dirk or on the low block would really open this open because you know teams will double down on him and he'll find the open man or cutter.

Dude is 6'7 240 so he's too strong for most wing players or PG's to handle down there.

That allows JB to be aggressive more by putting the rock in his hand and it also cuts down on Luka's turnovers and bad shot selection (Reduces the long step back 3's)

Also I'm curious as to why they don't use Josh Green as the roll man with Luka in PNR.

It doesn't always have to be Powell trying to catch that lop vs other big's

Use Green the way New Jersey uses Bruce Brown on those types of sets

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-03-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #143
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If Josh continues to fail in making a contribution, I would try Frank in his (Josh's) current role. His defense is not quite as tenacious, but it is above average, and he has a bit of offensive pop that would keep defenders more honest. Right now, the Suns are willing to give Josh a jump shot anywhere on the court and that allows for double teams on the Mavs scorers.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #144
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not sure he can 247 post up's per game LOL

But I do believe putting him in that mid range post area like how they used Dirk or on the low block would really open this open because you know teams will double down on him and he'll find the open man or cutter.

Dude is 6'7 240 so he's too strong for most wing players or PG's to handle down there.

That allows JB to be aggressive more by putting the rock in his hand and it also cuts down on Luka's turnovers and bad shot selection (Reduces the long step back 3's)

Also I'm curious as to why they don't use Josh Green as the roll man with Luka in PNR.

These are all great ideas.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #145
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Game 2 births a new nickname for our boy

Windiddie
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #146
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Game 2 births a new nickname for our boy

Windiddie
I call him Winbiggie.

Brunson cannot drive if Luka is posting. There will be too many defenders on the block. I wonder what would happen if Luka and Brunson played pick and roll. Luka as the pick guy.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:25 PM   #147
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure he can get 247 post up's per game LOL

Lol. I've said it 247 times on this forum. But, I would like them to try it 247 times as well. It's not rocket surgery and we have 16 coaches on staff so I'm baffled as to why we haven't at least incorporated it into the gameplan.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:34 PM   #148
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
I call him Winbiggie.

Brunson cannot drive if Luka is posting. There will be too many defenders on the block. I wonder what would happen if Luka and Brunson played pick and roll. Luka as the pick guy.
Brunson would definitely have room to work. The point isn't just to get Brunson to drive and score.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #149
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't expect the Mavs to come out of PHX with more than a split, so this loss doesn't concern me. Considering they dug themselves a massive hole in the first 7 minutes, they actually outscored the Suns the rest of the game.

I look at this game as a chance to learn some lessons and adjust.

I think the Mavs got spoiled playing against a collapsing Utah team. They came into this game not ready to face a good defensive team. They can and will take better care of the ball.

Luka has not played much against these Suns, so he had to figure out how to beat each of the defenders they threw at him. Remember that game they lost to Utah late in the season, when Gobert defended him well? He kept going at Rudy even when it looked futile. But over time, he learned how to make Rudy his b!tch, I saw a lot of that in this game, as he figures out how to handle Crowder and CP and Bridges. As the series progresses, I expect him to play better against them...not just by scoring, but by getting the rest better shots.

There is no doubt the Mavs have far less talent. They have less talent than Utah too. But they won with strong defense in the times the shooting was off. Again, they were spoiled by how easy it was to defend the Jazz. They can cure a lot of this by working harder, which I believe they will.

This game was a learning lab for Kidd as well. This was his first game to coach against the Suns without KP. He's going to have to figure out how to get more out of the weapons he has, and I think he will. Remember in Utah, Rudy had 5 blocks in the first 2 games. He had one in the last 3. They playoffs are all about adjustments, and Kidd has proven pretty adept at that so far. Now its up to him to justify my faith in him. I was glad to see Frank and Josh get some minutes...maybe there is a role for them. If your offensive guys are scoring, maybe its time to give the defenders more minutes.

Its every possible the Suns have just too much more talent. They have one of the best defenders, best shooters, best PG and best centers in the league. Besides Luka, we don't have anyone who is in the top ten at his position. The 2011 Mavs didn't either. They won with team ball. I expect to see a little less Luka and a lot more team. Its our only chance.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:22 PM   #150
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I didn't expect the Mavs to come out of PHX with more than a split, so this loss doesn't concern me. Considering they dug themselves a massive hole in the first 7 minutes, they actually outscored the Suns the rest of the game.

I look at this game as a chance to learn some lessons and adjust.

I think the Mavs got spoiled playing against a collapsing Utah team. They came into this game not ready to face a good defensive team. They can and will take better care of the ball.

Luka has not played much against these Suns, so he had to figure out how to beat each of the defenders they threw at him. Remember that game they lost to Utah late in the season, when Gobert defended him well? He kept going at Rudy even when it looked futile. But over time, he learned how to make Rudy his b!tch, I saw a lot of that in this game, as he figures out how to handle Crowder and CP and Bridges. As the series progresses, I expect him to play better against them...not just by scoring, but by getting the rest better shots.

There is no doubt the Mavs have far less talent. They have less talent than Utah too. But they won with strong defense in the times the shooting was off. Again, they were spoiled by how easy it was to defend the Jazz. They can cure a lot of this by working harder, which I believe they will.

This game was a learning lab for Kidd as well. This was his first game to coach against the Suns without KP. He's going to have to figure out how to get more out of the weapons he has, and I think he will. Remember in Utah, Rudy had 5 blocks in the first 2 games. He had one in the last 3. They playoffs are all about adjustments, and Kidd has proven pretty adept at that so far. Now its up to him to justify my faith in him. I was glad to see Frank and Josh get some minutes...maybe there is a role for them. If your offensive guys are scoring, maybe its time to give the defenders more minutes.

Its every possible the Suns have just too much more talent. They have one of the best defenders, best shooters, best PG and best centers in the league. Besides Luka, we don't have anyone who is in the top ten at his position. The 2011 Mavs didn't either. They won with team ball. I expect to see a little less Luka and a lot more team. Its our only chance.
Good post. I think it's obvious that the Suns are built better and have more talent but they are definitely beatable. The adjustments in such small margins are huge, if we limit turnovers and scramble our asses off defensively we give ourselves a good chance to be there in closing time.

Either way this is a huge learning series. For Luka and a few other players as well as the FO. It will likely solidify that we are in need of a big who can sure up the interior.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:38 PM   #151
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing we have going for us after a loss like this is team demeanor. Love how professional these guys are after games win or lose. They won't give up I promise you that.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote