Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Devin Harris will start?

Just heard Nellie on the Ticket and he announced that he's going to start Devin and bring Terry off the bench. Of course he was at the Breeders Cup and there's more than a slight chance that he'd been drinking.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Devin Harris will start?

Yes I just heard the same thing.

Came here to tell you guys after I told R-GM.

"just goin to throw him out there now."

Says this is what hes always done with Rookies, so why stop now?

This is either GREAT news or NOT so good news on Terry.

We shall see.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

lets see how the kid does...you know what, I think hes earnd it and have no problem with it.

I'll be the first to say "you told me so" to DHWS if it happens....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Devin Harris will start?

I'm glad somebody else heard it because the fact that Norm didn't bat a eye made me question what I knew I heard. Then again, Norms horse racing weenie is going crazy so I doubt he heard anything Nellie said.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
PepperTheMavsFan41

^^^^ Exactly.

Bush and Kerry planes could go down and Norm could care less right now.

Im not so sure its that great news. Its better long term, but I just dont think Nellie trusts Terry.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Even though this move is only happening because of all the injuries...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I am with with this for sure. Been telling them over at DB.com that Harris was better all summer. Devinharriswillstart the poster is THE MAN, he had the balls to make a username out of it.

Props to Nellie for making what, in my mind, is the right choice. Devin Harris will have a Dwayne Wade type impact.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
PepperTheMavsFan41

Im not so sure its goin to be so good short term. But I was expecting a 15-10 type start from the Little Mavs any way.

Nellie has ALWAYS had guts to make desicions like this.

I think it puts Harris right at the top of the ROY race IMO.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
The Miles

I do too, WOW, that Jamison trade looks golden now.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
Old 10-30-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Why do you say that? By all accounts, Terry will be available Tuesday.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Quote:
No it isn't. If it was then Terry would start at SG not come off the bench.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

tap dem brakes on declairing Nellie's genius...and "guts"....I could be wrong, but I imagine this move is based on all the injuries...his hand is almost forced into this move...but I do give him credit for making it.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'll just reiterate everyone's sentiment....wow. I wonder how Terry is going to handle this?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

Default RE: Devin Harris will start

how about Finley, Stack, and Daniels??? are any of them ready to go? I would not be surprised if Terry plays starters minutes on Tuesday at the 2....that is why I say that.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #16
The Miles

So, Terry or Stack, who gets more 6th man of the year votes at the end of the year?

Old 10-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #17
PepperTheMavsFan41

Nellie just didnt say he was throwing him out there for Sac.

He made it sound like hes his starting Point Guard as of now.

Injuries had nothing to do with it.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

Woah Miles...did Nellie say that Terry was permantly on the bench? Don't jump to conclusions. I would be surprised if Terry is not starting when some one of our more accomplished swingmen get back to health.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #19
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Sike.....its too difficult to decipher Drunken Nellie to jump to conclusions.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #20
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE:Devin Harris will start

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Well, I'll just reiterate everyone's sentiment....wow. I wonder how Terry is going to handle this?
Well, he does seem to have loved the Mavs for a while, hopefully being on the Mavs alone will make him content.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:54 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
He made it sound like hes his starting Point Guard as of now. Injuries had nothing to do with it.
well, that is kinda hard to believe...I want to hear more. I don't have a big problem with the move, if that it is the call, but it is a huge step for the future: stick the kid in there and let him take his lumps now.(even though I think he'll dole out his share of "lumps" as well)

Old 10-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Today's going to be a long one waiting for some articles on this with some insight into how/why the decision was made. I will say this, though. If Devin has earned this and can continue to live up to it I can't see that that's anything other than good news for the team's prospects. JT's a quality player that plenty of teams would like to have as a starter. Anybody good enough to push him to the bench is someone I won't mind having as a starter.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

Did Norm ask Nellie ANY follow up questions regarding this issue? Like..."when did you make this decision", "have you talked to Terry about it?", "is this permanent?"

What a weird time to let the cat out of the bag.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:00 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Anybody good enough to push him to the bench is someone I won't mind having as a starter.
well said...if true

Old 10-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

I do find it sad that all that enthusiam will be on the bench...Terry will not stay on the bench more than a season...he'll start here or somewhere else.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

JET may just be our Bobby Jackson!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #27
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Could Terry be traded for a top 10 pick in next years draft?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #28
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
great example dawg...I wonder how the JET will handle this?

Old 10-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #29
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Could Terry be traded for a top 10 pick in next years draft?
probably pretty close.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #30
The Miles

Yeah, a Bobby Jackson type role is perfect for JT. He is not really a PG or a SG, he is a combo guard who can give you starter minutes and production off the bench at the PG or SG.

I love the move. We get our 2nd most talented player into the starting lineup early in the season when we all knew we were going to struggle at first anyways. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

Old 10-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
great example dawg...I wonder how the JET will handle this?
Interesting question. You would think he's still too young to take Harris under his wing, as it were. But probably he will still find a lot of opportunity to contribute, and it won't be a problem.

I'm still a little cautious about believing this is a permanent thing, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #32
The Miles

I want to be cautious but it is hard when you have been pulling for this to happen all summer.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:13 PM   #33
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Did Norm ask Nellie ANY follow up questions regarding this issue? Like..."when did you make this decision", "have you talked to Terry about it?", "is this permanent?"

What a weird time to let the cat out of the bag.
Nope, but Norm is in horse racing mode withe the Breeders Cup being in town. That's why I'm glad I had some back up on this because I'm thinking "did I just hear what I thought I heard".

BTW, Norm also also asked him how the team was doing healthwise and Nellie said that he has everyone in practice and they look good. He's feeling really good about the team.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

Harris does seem like a natural for Nellie...and Terry has struggled some...I just hope this is not a knee jerk from Nellie.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #35
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
I do find it sad that all that enthusiam will be on the bench...Terry will not stay on the bench more than a season...he'll start here or somewhere else.

Exactly....Terry's enthusiasm to play for this team was so infectious. If he's moved to the bench this year, I hope that doesn't dampen his attitude too much.

Oh well, its nice to have some depth at the PG spot for a change.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #36
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Well selfishly I am HATING this b/c I drafted Terry for my fantasy team, but I do tend to think this isn't permanent, or more likely Nellie doesn't know if it is yet or not. JT sounds like he's a go after participating in practice, but Stack will sit out so Terry would be more of a sixth man for now. It just seems out of character for Nellie the Rookie Hater to throw him into the fire w/out having had him in the mindset for the preseason.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #37
mary
Troll Hunter

Thanks for the update Dirno. Its great to hear the entire team is at least practicing and somewhat healthy.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #38
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Here's one aspect of this that makes me quite happy. If Devin's already starting there's absolutely no way Dallas makes a trade for Kidd.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:22 PM   #39
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

wow ... big news... and unexpected. Harris has played really well. Let's hope he sticks.

... Think about that 2nd unit with Terry & Stackhouse in the backcourt ... Howard, Hendu, Booth/Bradley/Benga up front... That's incredible depth. Terry, Stack, and Howard are playoff caliber starters.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #40
PepperTheMavsFan41

Quote:
Thanks for the update Dirno. Its great to hear the entire team is at least practicing and somewhat healthy.
It was just the same as you read in any article the past couple of days.

Everyones at practice, but not all are goin 100%.
It's EVOLUTION baby.