Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default Mav's Nowitzki eager to grab elite power spot

Looks like Dupree is catching up to the game...Article

Mavs' Nowitzki eager to grab elite power spot
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

When it comes to power forwards, the NBA belongs to two players —Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs and Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves. But this season there could be third player to stake a claim for ownership —Dirk Nowitzki.

Dirk Nowitzki can score, but will his hard work in the offseason help his passing and defense?

This could be the year that Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks shows that he can also be the type of complete player that separates Garnett and Duncan from the rest of the pack.

Two weaknesses for Nowitzki have been his passing and defense. He worked hard in the offseason and has improved greatly in both areas. After two games, Nowitzki is averaging 26 points, 8.5 rebounds, but he is also averaging 5.0 assists. Defensively, he is getting out on his man and putting as much effort in at that end of the floor as at the offensive side.

"To be a great all-around player, you have to be a better passer," coach Don Nelson told Nowitzki, who averaged only 2.4 assists a game in his first six NBA seasons. "He has the ball in his hands a lot now, and it's not always to shoot," Nelson added, referring to the fact that Nowitzki's friend, point guard Steve Nash, signed with the Phoenix Suns as a free agent this summer.

"The way the team is set up, the ball is going to go through Dirk," said shooting guard Michael Finley. "He's really stepping up and taking that role."

With a true center in the lineup now in Erick Dampier, Nowitzki doesn't have to be matched against centers at the defensive end anymore.

"Whatever I need to do, I'm willing to do," Nowitzki said. "I'm not a complete player yet."
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mav's Nowitzki eager to grab elite power spot

Quote:
"The way the team is set up, the ball is going to go through Dirk," said shooting guard Michael Finley. "He's really stepping up and taking that role."
To the tune of 5apg so far, which is over two games, 6th in the league.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I've always thought Dirk's passing weakness was completely overblown. Often, he simply didn't have the ball in his hands enough. He was virtually a glorified spot up shooter too much of the time with Nash creating shots for everyone. Last season, I think we started seeing glimpses of a better passer than advertised. This season it has been more of the same.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't think they were overblown. Even this season I still see him making some of those ill-advised passes but he's definately a better passer this year than last. I see no reason why he can't average 4-5 assists a game if this team keeps shooting the way it currently is especially if the offense is being ran through him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Every player in the league makes ill advised passes, Dirk is not alone in this. While Dirk is not one of the very best passers in the NBA he's certainly a long way from being one of the worst. With the ball in his hands more, I think we will see Dirk improve a lot in this area though.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I said before the season in another thread that I thought Dirk could average 4.5 assists per game. He's helping me look smart so far.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Every player in the league makes ill advised passes, Dirk is not alone in this. While Dirk is not one of the very best passers in the NBA he's certainly a long way from being one of the worst. With the ball in his hands more, I think we will see Dirk improve a lot in this area though.
Yea every player has them but it shouldn't be consistently happening like passing the ball into double coverage or passing up a shot for that matter. I remember two times last game Dirk had a open mid ranger and past up the shots looking for an extra pass that wasn't needed.

1996-2005
Old 11-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
I said before the season in another thread that I thought Dirk could average 4.5 assists per game. He's helping me look smart so far.
If you would've told me that Terry, Fin, Damp, Stack, Daniels and Josh would be shooting the ball like they are now I would've been on board with you but I didn't expect the shooting to be this good out the gate.

1996-2005
Old 11-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mav's Nowitzki eager to grab elite power spot

Dirk's been just a bit more TO-prone than you'd like, but he's not that far off a 2:1 a/to ratio, which is what I'll be looking for from him. Most important to note is that the Mavs have only committed 12.5 TO's per game thus far. If they can keep it that low as a team I'll be fine with it.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:34 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Dirk's been just a bit more TO-prone than you'd like, but he's not that far off a 2:1 a/to ratio, which is what I'll be looking for from him. Most important to note is that the Mavs have only committed 12.5 TO's per game thus far. If they can keep it that low as a team I'll be fine with it.
Yea that's great news and to me an even more positive note is that the people who are making the turnovers are our some of our teams best players who aren't really turnover prone.

1996-2005
Old 11-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

National respect by David Dupree. he had the mavs as the fifth best team in basketball in the USA today basketball preview a few days ago. Dirk is still only 26 and his ceiling is so high. There is some kind of gratification as he grows into a player. I remember the days when he looked lost on the court and didn't rebound. If he could avg 26 10 rebounds and 5 assists per game he would be an MVP candidate. As many changes as this team has gone through it still begins and ends with Dirk.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:13 PM   #12
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

[quote]
Originally posted by: orangedays
Looks like Dupree is catching up to the game...Article

Mavs' Nowitzki eager to grab elite power spot
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

When it comes to power forwards, the NBA belongs to two players —Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs and Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves. But this season there could be third player to stake a claim for ownership —Dirk Nowitzki.

Dirk Nowitzki can score, but will his hard work in the offseason help his passing and defense?

This could be the year that Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks shows that he can also be the type of complete player that separates Garnett and Duncan from the rest of the pack.

Two weaknesses for Nowitzki have been his passing and defense. He worked hard in the offseason and has improved greatly in both areas. After two games, Nowitzki is averaging 26 points, 8.5 rebounds, but he is also averaging 5.0 assists. Defensively, he is getting out on his man and putting as much effort in at that end of the floor as at the offensive side.

---------------------------

And averaging 2 steals and 2.5 blocks/game... wow, keep that up for a season to say nothing of 57% from the field. yea it's only 2 games
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

The passing has been impressive, but not all that unexpected...many of us predicted Dirk's assist total to see a big hike this year...just Call him Magic Nowitzki...ok, maybe not [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
finally someone took on the burden [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote