Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #81
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Shawn Bradley set to retire

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
that leaves finley as the longest tenured mavs.. or is he next? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

lol im just kidding..
i cant believe i said that and NOW look, crazy

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #82
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Shawn Bradley set to retire

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE, you are psychic
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #83
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

we're talking about 7'6 man who never averaged double digit boards here. come on.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #84
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

To hell with Nellie for ruining Bradley's reputation around the city of Dallas and for leading him to being underappreciated and underutilized.

Nellie, you were a sorry person when it came to your handling of Bradley. Sorry is the only way to describe it. You ruined a guy's career that was more than capable of contributing to the Dallas Mavericks and the the NBA well into his upper 30's.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #85
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
To hell with Nellie for ruining Bradley's reputation around the city of Dallas and for leading him to being underappreciated and underutilized.

Nellie, you were a sorry person when it came to your handling of Bradley. Sorry is the only way to describe it. You ruined a guy's career that was more than capable of contributing to the Dallas Mavericks and the the NBA well into his upper 30's.

Nellie and injuries did not help Bradley, nor TAW for that matter.

What people tend to forget is that TAW earned the contract he now has based upon his defensive play and pre-injury ability. When he was on the court here in Dallas he did bring the defense but not the offense that Nellie wanted (see Raja Bell). I think TAW would have been effective a couple of years ago if AJ was coaching then. Now, I think it is too late to repair damage.

I cannot justify TAW refusing a buy-out and then trying to catch on elsewhere, except to say when people get p@#ss%d-off, they don't always think clearly. Blame the agent rather than the player, though. Agents should be able to convince their clients of the benefit if they can get their players near full value of contract in buy out.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #86
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mmmfast for all of the positive photos of a long-term mav. I'm sure I'll have to come back to this post many times when shawn annouces because the sob's in the media will only show rude photos of his bad plays. Makes me sick. I've already written a letter to the only tv show that I saw video on. Channel 5 I believe it was. It's unacceptable for the media will all of the idiots they have showing such a collection of bad plays. National media maybe, but local, they are gonna hear about it.

Quote:
Originally posted by: mmmfast
He'll be missed.
He was what he was for the past few years but c'mon - #10 all-time blocks at 2,119 Just behind Shaq.

For the good times -

- my fav [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #87
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Quote:

What people tend to forget is that TAW earned the contract he now has based upon his defensive play and pre-injury ability. When he was on the court here in Dallas he did bring the defense but not the offense that Nellie wanted (see Raja Bell). I think TAW would have been effective a couple of years ago if AJ was coaching then. Now, I think it is too late to repair damage.

I cannot justify TAW refusing a buy-out and then trying to catch on elsewhere, except to say when people get p@#ss%d-off, they don't always think clearly. Blame the agent rather than the player, though. Agents should be able to convince their clients of the benefit if they can get their players near full value of contract in buy out.

TAW and Shawn aren't anywhere close to the same issue. TAW was injured and couldn't play. Shawn was planted on the bench by two coaches now. He came to work everyday and did what he could do when he was out there.

I also don't have much respect for nellie (or avery for that matter) with they handling of shawn. We'll see if avery gets wiser as he gets more mature, but nellie was a dick.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #88
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

The injury issue as I related it to Bradley: He has had knee problems for about 3-4 years even after a couple of surgeries. He also has had a hip injury or problem for at least the last year. So, I do think that injuries and handlign by Nelson took their toll on Bradley and I will stick with my comparison.

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Quote:

TAW and Shawn aren't anywhere close to the same issue. TAW was injured and couldn't play. Shawn was planted on the bench by two coaches now. He came to work everyday and did what he could do when he was out there.

I also don't have much respect for nellie (or avery for that matter) with they handling of shawn. We'll see if avery gets wiser as he gets more mature, but nellie was a dick.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 05:25 AM   #89
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

For everyone who says that Bradley was a bust: He did average 12 PPG, 8 RPG and 4 BPG one season and all that in only 30 MPG...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #90
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Arne
For everyone who says that Bradley was a bust: He did average 12 PPG, 8 RPG and 4 BPG one season and all that in only 30 MPG...
If he had done that his rookie season and greatly improved upon that throughout his career, then he would not be considered a bust. The 4 BPG's are very impressive, but the scoring and rebounding is quite pedestrian for the standards he was expected to live up to, fairly or not. Yes, he did average those numbers one season. That's hardly living up to the expectations of being drafted 2nd overall between Chris Webber and Penny Hardaway. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but he's a definite career bust.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #91
dude1394
Guru

Shawn's biggest problem (I believe it was solvable by the way) was what was essentially a lack of balance and agility. Now I'm speaking out of my hat because I don't know what shawn's regimin was/was not.

But spending his first 8 years doing some sort of martial arts training, ballet, or balance training would have worked wonders. Shawn always seemed on the verge of falling down. It wasn't because he was too skinny as he was around 280 but when bumped he wasn't agile enough to regain his balance.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #92
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

I'm sure Shawn wants to retire before his injuries mount and cause more problems for him later in life.

I was never a big Shawn fan as he got posterized too much for my tastes. However, I did think he showed some pluck out there and was clearly a first rate individual.

You can say that Nelson didn't treat him right, but Nelson was Shawn's biggest fan. Nelson believed in Shawn from the very start back in 1993. Shawn's failure to become a marquee player also said something about Nelson.

Quote:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/11009388.htm

.... Golden State, however, coached at the time by crafty, but idiosyncratic Don Nelson, also coveted Bradley. Nelson loved the game's oddities, too, and had a previous extended dalliance with Bol during which he encouraged the player to attempt three-point field goals. So Nelson took a backseat to no one when it came to pursuing unusual ideas.

Orlando could have simply drafted Hardaway and let the rest play out, but the Magic front office saw other possibilities, including getting Hardaway but not having to pay him as a No. 1 pick. The Magic offered to draft Bradley for Golden State, if the Warriors would take Hardaway for them and toss in, say, three first-round picks.

Nelson agreed, and the Sixers could have shrugged, taken Webber as a very reasonable consolation prize, and continued their rebuilding in a different direction. But the Sixers were nothing if not dogged in their pursuit of Bradley. They called the Magic and said that if Orlando drafted Bradley, the Sixers would then draft Hardaway and they could pound sand trying to get him.

Orlando was taken aback by this turn of events, and an internal debate raged so strongly that head coach Matt Guokas was kicked upstairs that day, replaced by Brian Hill. The end result was that the deal between Orlando and Golden State changed. In exchange for three first-round picks, Orlando promised not to draft Bradley (and double-cross the Warriors by trading him to the Sixers).

Orlando took Webber instead, the Sixers landed Bradley, and Golden State picked Hardaway. Webber and Hardaway were immediately swapped even-up.

That night, the Magic and the Sixers were the winners, at least in their minds. Each team had gotten the player it wanted. Golden State wanted Bradley, but was left with Webber.
Shawn doesn't have it so bad, though. Must be nice to get paid millions to retire. Doesn't work that way for most people! What a union....

freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:01 PM   #93
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

If Bradley retires due to injuries I can see why he should still get paid for any remaining years on his guaranteed contract. However, if he retires by choice I don't see why he should get paid anything or continue counting against our cap. (If that was the case, then it would seem a player could sign a multiyear contract and simply retire ASAP.) Wouldn't it be to the Mavs advantage to force Bradley to prove his retirement is injury-related unless that is clearly the case?
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #94
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I'm searching for this .gif which shows Bradley going coast to coast and dunking on somebody! Can somebody help me out on this on`? I've seen it on this board some time ago.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #95
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Sad news.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/17/shawn...bike-accident/
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #96
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This is devastating to me. I was one of his fans when many just looked forward to the next guy posterizing him. Also I don't know many paralysis cases, but my uncle was paralyzed after being attacked in Sweden. One day he suffocated to death as he could not lift up his own head from a table. At least that's how the story goes from what I have been told. I'll be shocked if he was not murdered.

Then we all know about the late Christopher Reeve. Both Bradley's family and religion are a big part of his life. I hope they remain to be to keep him happy for what will be a difficult life. Edit: I just read an article suggesting that this happened in January. Why did it take this long for us to hear about it? Also this is mentioned in your linked article. My bad!

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 03-17-2021 at 07:58 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #97
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
This is devastating to me. I was one of his fans when many just looked forward to the next guy posterizing him. Also I don't know many paralysis cases, but my uncle was paralyzed after being attacked in Sweden. One day he suffocated to death as he could not lift up his own head from a table. At least that's how the story goes from what I have been told. I'll be shocked if he was not murdered.

Then we all know about the late Christopher Reeve. Both Bradley's family and religion are a big part of his life. I hope they remain to be to keep him happy for what will be a difficult life. Edit: I just read an article suggesting that this happened in January. Why did it take this long for us to hear about it? Also this is mentioned in your linked article. My bad!
This is terrible news... very sad.
It's early (relatively speaking) and we can be hopeful of some recovery at least but definitely doesn't look good. wish him the best.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote