Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-27-2001, 11:42 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

According to the DMN, Maxwell has been offered a contract for the rest of the season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] He just needs to pass a physical on Wednesday. Hopefully they'll find some crack in his urine.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2001, 11:43 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Link: Mavs pursue Maxwell
Old 02-27-2001, 11:45 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

LOL! I hope they don't sign him. He could cause big problems in the locker room. He's not the kinda guy I would want on this team.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2001, 11:49 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

Anyone know why he was released by Philly earlier this season? I think we all know why he got kicked out of Seattle (hint: free weights), but why Philly?
Old 02-27-2001, 11:51 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I know it wasn't for good behavior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 02-27-2001, 11:52 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

Well if you take a look at the DMN article, it says that Iverson was pissed that Maxwell was releaed. Hmmm
Old 02-28-2001, 12:16 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you guys go throwing weights at me, but Im in favor of this signing. He's a good defender and can drain 3's when he's on. He's more insurance than anything else. It's not like he will take time away from Fin, Nash, Buckner and Eisley. He will get some minutes but will mainly be warming the bench. He shouldn't cause any problems in the locker room because the guys are a close nit bunch. He's coming into a winning situation and should be thankful that someone is willing to take him on. I mean, it's not like the Mavs can't let him go.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:23 AM   #8
djb
Administrator

Good points. Maxwell was definitely a legit starter in Seattle last year, going for 20+ points on multiple occasions. But I still have a sneaking suspicion that he'll be more of distraction then anything else.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:33 AM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see him being the kind of distraction that Rodman was last year. Why? Because he's not being brought in to make a difference right now. We wanted Rodman to come in and rebound, nothing else. He's here in case Nash goes down. (knock on wood it doesn't happen but better safe than sorry) He plays defense and is another guard we can throw in there at times to give Nash rest. Even Finley. And that is a plus imo. Oh and DJ. How can I change my icon back to the bull?
Old 02-28-2001, 12:45 AM   #10
djb
Administrator

Click on the 'profile' tab along the top. Then at the very bottom, you can select a new author icon.

I hope you're right about Maxwell. I know he wasn't brought in to be a starter or impact player, but that doesn't mean he won't piss anyone off in the lockerroom or during team practices. Also, he might have a problem with sitting on the bench and playing only limited mins (seeing as how he started games in both Philly and Seattle). On the other hand, if he has indeed changed, then I'm glad to have him on the team.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:54 AM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Ok, thanks. Didn't know how to update my profile. Should of looked harder, I guess. LOL.

I just don't see Maxwell causing problems in the locker room. Only one person has to say something to Nelson or Cuban and he will get the boot. But, Nash has already said he's in favor. Tomorrow we should see what the rest think. And Im sure Fin gave his nod to Cuban. And I don't see him having a problem not starting either because surely he understands he's been given another chance at something special. Or maybe Im being naive about it all but I don't think we're going to see a repeat of the Rodman fiasco. Ok, Im out. Im worn out from the game.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:47 AM   #12

DJ, I actually talked to one of the Philly writers through e-mail about why Vernon Maxwell was released. It was because Snow had just been injured, and they needed someone to back up Mckie at the point, so they signed Kevin Ollie and released Maxwell.

I think the signing of Maxwell is a tremendous one. Down the stretch he will be a great influence on guys like Finley and Dirk, who have have never been in a playoff-type atmosphere before. Plus, Mad Max gives up depth at the 2, which we lost when we traded Davis and Alexander.

It looks like Mark Cuban has done it again. Great move IMO.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:53 AM   #13
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

My bad. That last post was mine. Forgot to sign in again [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2001, 08:17 AM   #14
djb
Administrator

Looks like the T-Wolves are about to sign Felipe Lopez. They're also releasing Day, who I thought was a solid guard off the bench.

Link: Timberwolves release Day, set to sign Lopez today
Old 02-28-2001, 08:28 AM   #15
Hales233
Golden Member

We should sign Day. We have one roster spot still open, what the hell?? We need to sign someone by Thursday to have them still be eligible for the playoffs. Day would give us great insurance at the 2 and the 3 and you know he's in good shape after playing all year with Minnesota. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2001, 09:40 AM   #16
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Maxwell comes into Dallas with something none of the current Mavs have... a Championship ring. I know the Mavs have all those coaches with experience, but sometimes having a veteran leader with proven playoff experience is very valuable.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:54 AM   #17
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I hope ya'll are right. I just think he could break up the team chemistry. He's not going to get many minutes and that's one of the things that seem to make him unhappy. It's just a dangerous move IMO.

Old 02-28-2001, 12:42 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

I was a big fan of Maxwell's back during Houston's championship runs. His attitude is a bit of a turn-off, but I'm starting to like this deal the more I think about it.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:43 PM   #19
Hales233
Golden Member

live dangerously rob [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2001, 12:54 PM   #20
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I still don't like it, for two reasons. One is just his past history. The other, by signing him the mavs had to put Obinna Ekezie on IR meaing Dirk has to play alot at the center spot. Which I don't particularly like too much.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:17 PM   #21
Hales233
Golden Member

Ekezie wasn't going to get any minutes anyhow. I guess we'll find out soon how it all works out...
Old 02-28-2001, 02:07 PM   #22
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I know he wasn't going to get many minutes but I think he could help out alot against teams with bigger centers.

Old 02-28-2001, 02:14 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I just don't see this signing being a problem for us. If he screws up, we cut him. What do we lose? Nothing. There's no way he can disrupt the on court chemistry because he's not going to get those type of minutes. As for the off court angle, I don't see him corrupting any of the guys at all. They're a good bunch of guys and a close group as well. I think people are underestimating his defensive skills too. His playoff experience will be valuable to the team as well. Im sure Cuban/Nelson explained IN DETAIL to him about his limited minutes. I don't see him complaining about that.

Rob, I think the Mavs are leaving that final roster spot open for Wang. They may know something about that situation than us little folk do. I'd much rather have him than Ekezie.
Old 02-28-2001, 02:23 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Good point about Wang. You could be right.

Old 02-28-2001, 03:55 PM   #25
djb
Administrator

Mavericks sign Maxwell for remainder of season
02/28/2001

By Jodie Valade / The Dallas Morning News

Vernon Maxwell signed with the Mavericks on Wednesday afternoon. He will be paid $294,118 to play for the team for the remainder of the season.

Maxwell was brought in to provide some veteran backup guard abilities. Coach-general manager Don Nelson said he was uncertain how much playing time Maxwell will receive, but called the veteran guard an "insurance policy."

Nelson said he isn't worried about Maxwell's long list of off-court troubles, which includes a community service sentence as recently as January stemming from an assault charge in September 2000.

"He's never had problems in the locker room," Nelson said. "He's been a good teammate."

Off the court, Maxwell served a 90-day jail sentence in 1998 stemming from a conviction for marijuana possession. In January, he was sentenced to 500 hours of community service, two years' probation and was ordered to continue anger-management counseling after pleading no contest to misdemenor assault.

Maxwell, a 15-year veteran, will have the distinction of having played with all three Texas teams, after two stints with San Antonio and helping Houston to back-to-back championships in 1994-95.

"I like Vernon," said Steve Nash, the banged-up point guard for whom Nelson wants to lessen the load. "He defends, he makes the big shots and he's tough. I think this locker room is tight enough to handle anyone new. Let's roll with it."

Source: Mavericks sign Maxwell for remainder of season
Old 02-28-2001, 04:29 PM   #26
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Hey guys, dont be so anxious about Mad Max!
Now we´ve that bada$$ kinda guy we needed to win some games all our great and nice sportsman guys like Fin, Dirk, Nash and Juwan cant win.
He may not be a huge gain, though a huge gamble, but he may add some momentum in the hard-nose games.

j
Old 02-28-2001, 04:34 PM   #27
Hales233
Golden Member

It's official...WELCOME ABOARD MAD MAX....GLAD TO HAVE YOU!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 09:14 AM   #28
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Mental Note: Sit in upper deck to avoid having Maxwell come after me...Just kidding Vernon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 09:37 AM   #29
Hales233
Golden Member

LOL...That was funny...I'll give you that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2001, 12:07 PM   #30
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

Mad Max has some killer instincts guys. If he can play anywhere near to his potential, he will be a steal.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote