Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavericks Outsider Report

In this thread
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36487
I announced that I would begin hosting a weekly 2-hour NBA radio show which would be available via podcast. This coming week will be my third show. tcat075 had the idea of considering shifting the show to an entirely Mavs-centric podcast.

I do have some assets at my disposal: I did conduct and interview with Mike Fisher on my first episode, speaking with Michael Duggat from db.com in the next few days and *crossing fingers* I'm going to be speaking with Mark Followill to discuss Mavs and NBA events. It's a decent starting point but I want to continue it. I'm hoping I can keep the connections good and continue building them up. I know the contributions I'm making to Mavs Moneyball is helping the cause as well. The guys on db.com have mentioned to me they really like the work that is going on there and hope it can continue to develop in the right direction.

So my question(s) to you would be: Can I count on your guys to help be the listeners to the show? What kind of format would you like the show to be in? etc. etc. It would be a show for you guys so I would definitely want your input!
My initial idea would be to have the obvious interviews wherever I can get them, take a good chunk of the show looking back at the previous week's events and then the rest looking forward to the next week. Scattering some news from the NBA that does have an influence on the Mavs. For example, looking a trade that happens inside the division or the conference, CP3 rumors, etc. etc.

This probably wouldn't fully transition (if it does) until closer to training camp b/c it's impossible to make a two hours Mavs-based show RIGHT NOW. Sorry if this comes off as celebrating me, that's not my intention at all! I know everyone on here is hungry for Mavs information and I think I've found a niche that I really enjoy doing and I want further enhance things for everyone and anyone who is interested.

Plus...this gives us something new to talk about
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

You should have me on the show.

I'm great.

(but no basketball talk - just bask in my glory...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You should have me on the show.

I'm great.

(but no basketball talk - just bask in my glory...)
I don't know if that translates on radio...lol
Old 07-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I don't know if that translates on radio...lol
Nah, everyone can still experience my greatness over dead air - just put the mic close enough to me and enjoy...

Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
BGMaverick9
Guru

Hmmmm....

Who ELSE has an opinion
Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks man, glad you decided to do it. I'm telling you, you are moving into a wide open market. There's a couple of Ranger podcasts, a couple of Cowboys podcasts, but the field is empty when it comes to the Mavs.

As for some input, an hour show every week recapping and giving your opinion, maybe breaking down each game briefly when we get to the season, that would be my preference. In fact, if it was totally up to me, two 45-60 minute shows a week would be the best, but I understand that might be hard on you, and anything you could bring would be welcomed.

Definately try to get interviews...I've thought you've done a solid job podcasting solo in Ballin with Bryan when you've had to, but its hard to match two people interacting, be it an interview or two cohosts or a guest host or whatever. It'd be awesome if you could get another D-M or DB or MM poster to come on the show just to give another opinion, but that's obviously out of your control. I know that's not something I could do...even if I had the right computer set up and the time, I do not have a podcasting voice at all.

That's everything off the top of my head.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Thanks man, glad you decided to do it. I'm telling you, you are moving into a wide open market. There's a couple of Ranger podcasts, a couple of Cowboys podcasts, but the field is empty when it comes to the Mavs.

As for some input, an hour show every week recapping and giving your opinion, maybe breaking down each game briefly when we get to the season, that would be my preference. In fact, if it was totally up to me, two 45-60 minute shows a week would be the best, but I understand that might be hard on you, and anything you could bring would be welcomed.

Definately try to get interviews...I've thought you've done a solid job podcasting solo in Ballin with Bryan when you've had to, but its hard to match two people interacting, be it an interview or two cohosts or a guest host or whatever. It'd be awesome if you could get another D-M or DB or MM poster to come on the show just to give another opinion, but that's obviously out of your control. I know that's not something I could do...even if I had the right computer set up and the time, I do not have a podcasting voice at all.

That's everything off the top of my head.
I'm thinking the earliest my format would change towards all Mavericks would be late September when training camp starts, but I might wait until the season starts.

The thing with my show is it's 2 hours, it's the standard for what I paid for haha. So I could easily have the first hour be a recap of the previous week and then the 2nd hour previews what's coming ahead and other stories related to the team scattered in each hour. Now the thing I can do: I can edit the show and split it in half. Those who only really care about looking backwards over the previous week can download that one, while others who wanna look forward and etc can download the other one. It's still something to tinker with.

As for interviews, I'm going to keep working on building contacts in and around the organization. That's going to be a work in progress too. I could definitely see some contributions from people on here as well. It definitely would help make it more dynamic to have a co-host on board with me. If it can't be consistent, maybe just a revolving door of guys who come in when it works best for them.

Just thinking...
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm thinking the earliest my format would change towards all Mavericks would be late September when training camp starts, but I might wait until the season starts.

The thing with my show is it's 2 hours, it's the standard for what I paid for haha. So I could easily have the first hour be a recap of the previous week and then the 2nd hour previews what's coming ahead and other stories related to the team scattered in each hour. Now the thing I can do: I can edit the show and split it in half. Those who only really care about looking backwards over the previous week can download that one, while others who wanna look forward and etc can download the other one. It's still something to tinker with.

As for interviews, I'm going to keep working on building contacts in and around the organization. That's going to be a work in progress too. I could definitely see some contributions from people on here as well. It definitely would help make it more dynamic to have a co-host on board with me. If it can't be consistent, maybe just a revolving door of guys who come in when it works best for them.

Just thinking...
Ohhh....I thought you were saying you'd start another podcast entirely and still have BwB be BwB. My bad. So if some of the stuff didn't make sense, that's why.

Hmm. Like you mentioned splitting the 2 hour into two back to back parts, if you still wanted to do an hour of NBA talk and an hour of Mavs talk...if you wanted I think that might work. But that's all up to you.

If it is going to be 2 hours of all Mavs, I'd probably just set up a list of five or six topics to get to. If the first and last topic are going to be recap and looking forward, then go for it. I don't think you need to stress each one to be an hour each and fill up the entire show. That is, as long as you don't split them into half and half. I'm not sure that's the greatest idea...if its all a Mavericks podcast, then I think people would be interested in both halves.

Just throwing some ideas out there. Hope it helps.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Ohhh....I thought you were saying you'd start another podcast entirely and still have BwB be BwB. My bad. So if some of the stuff didn't make sense, that's why.

Hmm. Like you mentioned splitting the 2 hour into two back to back parts, if you still wanted to do an hour of NBA talk and an hour of Mavs talk...if you wanted I think that might work. But that's all up to you.

If it is going to be 2 hours of all Mavs, I'd probably just set up a list of five or six topics to get to. If the first and last topic are going to be recap and looking forward, then go for it. I don't think you need to stress each one to be an hour each and fill up the entire show. That is, as long as you don't split them into half and half. I'm not sure that's the greatest idea...if its all a Mavericks podcast, then I think people would be interested in both halves.

Just throwing some ideas out there. Hope it helps.
From what I've been told, I'd need to go all or nothing with the Mavs haha. I can't split the two hours for one being all NBA and then the other being Mavs, it's going to have to be all or nothing.

I guess like you said, it can be like a 20 minute chunk looking back and a 20 minute chunk looking forward and the rest is just analysis and features and stuff.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
tcat075
Diamond Member

Yeah, 20 minutes chunks or however long it takes. Then talk about trade targets, or some injury, or have an interview, or what Tyson Chandler needs to do to stop sucking, etc. Just an example, but that's kind of how I would lay it out.

When you go to all Mavs, one of your transition songs has to be this. And this one too.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
BGMaverick9
Guru

Haha, I haven't heard the Dirk Night one. That was pretty funny.

I'll just have to see who is interested in taking part in co-hosting it with me...could be very lucrative in the long run to jump on board!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
tcat075
Diamond Member

Oh and this one. Its sick. Can't believe I forgot about it.

And they play the Dirk night one from time to time on the ticket for lead ins. Actually, I think there's another one they also play, but I don't quite remember what it is and don't know where to find it.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely listen, but I think it is a good idea to wait until closer to training camp. There's a lot more all-NBA news that will fill up your 2-hours than Mavs analysis... but you'll find plenty to fill the time with once the season is about to start.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
BGMaverick9
Guru

I didn't wanna jump the gun until it got confirmed, but now that it is...I've got Mark Followill confirmed as a guest on my show for this monday. He'll be on board around 330 and we will talk some NBA stuff and some mavs of course!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
Underdog

Quote:
I didn't wanna jump the gun until it got confirmed, but now that it is...I've got Mark Followill confirmed as a guest on my show for this monday. He'll be on board around 330 and we will talk some NBA stuff and some mavs of course!
Looking forward to it - Followill knows his sh!t, so don't disappoint!

Last edited by Underdog; 08-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

If you listened to the show live...you endured a rough spot with some technical difficulties haha. Sorry!

If you didn't listen live, you're going to see some master editing! We had a very nice interview discussing some NBA news and then Mavs news of course. The problems occurred early in the segment but we got all the Mavs stuff good to go.

I'll have a link ready by the end of the night.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll have a link ready by the end of the night.
where is the promised link?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

The master editing took a while but now I seem to be running into a problem with podomatic.

Which sucks because my show really took off in the past week or so. I moved up to the #4 sports podcast on the site and ranked in the top 500 overall.

I might have to bite the bullet, I'm gonna try one more time on podomatic. If it doesn't work, I'll put a sendspace link or something.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I'll definitely listen, maybe not live as i'm in Europe, but will check it out nonethless. Give us the link already! Oh, and if you run out of ideas, you guys can always talk about Roddy B's potential, that could be a 4 hour special.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
BGMaverick9
Guru

I had to do it the old school way for podomatic, but it worked!

http://ballinwithbryan.podomatic.com/
Episode 4
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, any of you Android users can use Google Listen to stream this podcast (or any others that provide an RSS feed). If you can't find it through the Listen search, you can go to google.com/reader on your computer and add it to your Listen Subscription. Your phone will then pick it up automatically.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 08-10-2010 at 10:18 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
FYI, any of you Android users can use Google Listen to stream this podcast (or any others that provide an RSS feed). If you can't find it through the Listen search, you can go to google.com/reader on your computer and add it to your Listen Subscription. Your phone will then pick it up automatically.
Another reason to love my Droid - thanks!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #23
BGMaverick9
Guru

Haha, whatever works for you guys to listen!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #24
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I want to listen...

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
I want to listen...
Click the link in post #20...

(you don't need trendy technology to enjoy BG's podcast - it just makes you more popular with the ladies!)

Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #26
BGMaverick9
Guru

You don't need fancy ears or awesome hearing skills either...it's probably for the best! A decent amount of it is JUNK lol.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #27
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Click the link in post #20...

(you don't need trendy technology to enjoy BG's podcast - it just makes you more popular with the ladies!)

Ah, I missed that post... thank you.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I had to do it the old school way for podomatic, but it worked!

Episode 4
Ole Folliwell seems like such a good guy...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #29
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Ole Folliwell seems like such a good guy...
He really is. We talked off air and he was very supportive and was very nice to me. He said I did a good job, considering what he does...I'll take that as a very fine compliment.

He said if time allows, he'd love to come back on and do it again.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #30
BGMaverick9
Guru

E5

Also, work is starting to take place for getting the Mavs podcast ready. I am still unsure of when I'll officially start doing that. Some people have already asked: If you ARE interested on coming on board and co-hosting from time to time, I'd love to have you come on board. You would need to be available to head to Arlington from 3-5 pm on Mondays. If you're interested just PM me.

The working title for the show right now is The Mavericks Outsider Report
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be fun to just come in run the board and do "drops"

Good jorb tho BG, keep it up!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #32
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
It would be fun to just come in run the board and do "drops"

Good jorb tho BG, keep it up!
I appreciate the praise, thanks buddy. I'm definitely counting on all of you guys to listen and download the show. I don't know how the station decides but I was voted as Show of the Month for August, so that's cool.

Our board is very...simplistic haha.

I've come across soundboard.com and I'm starting to fine-tune that and it's going to be a big addition once I shift to the Mavs format haha.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
E5
If you ARE interested on coming on board and co-hosting from time to time, I'd love to have you come on board.
I would love to hear some of you guys on with BMG...

Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #34
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I appreciate the praise, thanks buddy. I'm definitely counting on all of you guys to listen and download the show. I don't know how the station decides but I was voted as Show of the Month for August, so that's cool.

Our board is very...simplistic haha.

I've come across soundboard.com and I'm starting to fine-tune that and it's going to be a big addition once I shift to the Mavs format haha.
as long as you keep reminding us, I'll keep on downloading...

Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #35
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I would love to hear some of you guys on with BMG...
I have had some interest from members on here. I'm not really expecting anyone to dump their day job and spend two hours with me haha. I'm pretty much expecting a revolving door of co-hosts with me...which is fine! It brings a different voice and a different perspective.

Quote:
as long as you keep reminding us, I'll keep on downloading...
I will definitely be doing that
Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #36
BGMaverick9
Guru

Episode 6
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #37
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Much appreciated sir!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #38
BGMaverick9
Guru

E7

Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #39
BGMaverick9
Guru

Just an FYI: The show WILL still be on this Monday...I know I don't need a holiday!

Also, board member Rhylan will be joining me on this weeks episode.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #40
Underdog

Quote:
Just an FYI: The show WILL still be on this Monday...I know I don't need a holiday!

Also, board member Rhylan will be joining me on this weeks episode.
Greatness...

This site can always use more Rhylan - looking forward to it!