Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Who would you want to win an Olympic matchup between Dirk and German vs the US
Germany 37 56.06%
USA 29 43.94%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default If the US played German with Dirk in the Olympics..

Which team would you want to win? I've always been curious as to what you guys felt as Mavs fans concerning this question. I've made the votes "private" so that if you'd rather not have people know, you can definitely keep the vote to yourself.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-23-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Should be Germany

:P

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fair poll with so many German fans that post here... :P

In all seriousness though, USA without hesitation. I love Dirk, but the Olympics are a time to put personal loyalties aside and pull for your country. Some things are bigger than yourself.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

easy choice...

But there is 0 chance to beat team USA. You'd need 5 Dirks.

Last edited by markus1234; 07-23-2012 at 10:17 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Dirk, but I love my country more. USA wins everytime.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tough one... I love the US, but I cannot stand some of the people representing the US on the team.

Much the same with the Williams sisters.. If they were representing the US, I'd wish for quick exits for either.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
dallasmavsnews

dallasmavsnews is on a distinguished road

Man, um.... Dirk is amazing, for all he has done for this franchise, Go Germany
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
It's a tough one... I love the US, but I cannot stand some of the people representing the US on the team.
Your original post felt like a loaded question, but this is pretty much how I feel about it too. It's really hard to root for a lot of the guys on the Team USA squad once you get past the words "Team USA" on their chests.

Plus, seeing as how the Olympics have become so incredibly commercialized over the years that it doesn't feel like a patriotic event so much as a long-run commercial for McDonalds and Coke, I just can't feel bad voting against my own. Coming from the perspective of "Dirk vs. LeBron" rather than "USA vs. Germany," I gotta go with Dirk.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-23-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

This aint no dream team any more.
LeBron- no one is more of an egotistical and pathological douche than he.

Kobe - just a selfish, unlikable player

Kevin Love - hard to root for a guy that proclaims himself the "best" at his position (and better than Dirk) while whining about the team Minnesota puts around him.

Carmello- Primadonna, selfish and unlikable.

Chris Paul - maybe not a bad guy, but just cocky and as a Mavs fan I have a lot of bad blood for him and West.

Westbrook- I just hate that dude. He's overrated and cocky.

Deron - I liked the guy a lot and respected him. I still respect him but can never cheer for him again after his choice this summer to be the new mediocre team in the East.

I have nothing against Iggy. I respect Harden's game. I'll always cheer for Chandler. I just don't know much about Davis. Those are the only four guys that I can even stand on that team.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

For me, a team with Dirk > a team with other players

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

USA duh

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Always USA, unless the entire roster is full of heinous actual criminals.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I could give a shit less about this USA team. Bunch of douchers imo aside from Ty.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

I could care less about the individual members of the team, Tyson included. However, USA is USA. They represent something larger than themselves.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
I could care less about the individual members of the team, Tyson included. However, USA is USA. They represent something larger than themselves.
Their egos?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I could give a shit less about this USA team. Bunch of douchers imo aside from Ty.
My feelings exactly.

Can't stand this US team and would root for Dirk and Deutschland any day of the week.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
shoe contracts?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

I just can't root against Dirk….. I couldn't if I tried….

Even if he signed with another team after this contract (I'm not commenting on the likelihood) I'd still root for him.

He is my Jordan.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

For the past 3-4 Olympics, I haven't bought into the fact that the Dream Team represented the U.S...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Man, tough call..... I watched team USA play the Dominican the other night. They were high-fiving and celebrating on the bench like they already had won the gold. Yucking it up while they were devastating the DR team. Pretty classless. I guess I have to say USA, but most of those guys were doing a pretty piss poor job of "representing" us. It would be like me celebrating being mid stomping of a team of 4th graders. Just doesn't look right.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Germany!!!

P.S.
but italy will win

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 07-23-2012 at 03:45 PM.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like you and your posts, BUUT... This is horseshit. Nice in theory tho.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Dirk represents the US better than overwhelming majority of the athetes on the Dream Team..
Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Like you and your posts, BUUT... This is horseshit. Nice in theory tho.
A little perspective: this weekend, I am fighting (literally - Chinese kickboxing) for the chance to represent the United States in international competition in October. To me, being draped in the American flag has to transcend individuality and ego. I get why you guys think differently, it's just the mindset I'm in right now.

Plus, I've never actually watched basketball in the Olympics, so "nice in theory" is quite accurate. I'm willing to be accused of being idealistic... wouldn't be the first time (see all my pro-Ron Paul posts in the political forum).

Lastly,

USA!! USA!! USA!!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Now if it were the Texas state team versus Germany, that'd be a bit different for me...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #26
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

why would we want germany to win? dirk shouldve suited up for team usa he lived in dallas long enough (i have no idea if thats correct) plus all the elbows from karl malone and other tough american players broke him in to be a nba player. in other words. .....words

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

My vote would be for Dirk to play like the beast he is and end with like a 50/15/10 game but for the US team to ultimately win with a score of 84 - 52.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfg7 View Post
My vote would be for Dirk to play like the beast he is and end with like a 50/15/10 game but for the US team to ultimately win with a score of 84 - 52.
I was thinking more along the lines of U.S. 150, Germany 60, with Dirk having all 60 points. But your way works, too.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

I would hope that both teams play hard and have fun!!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoan-maverickII View Post
I would hope that both teams play hard and have fun!!
haha.. both teams played hard my man

Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk represents the US better than overwhelming majority of the athetes on the Dream Team..

Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #32
jamaljasonandjimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post

thats alot of sausage

Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #33
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now if it were the Texas state team versus Germany, that'd be a bit different for me...
can't rep enough

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #34
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
Man, tough call..... I watched team USA play the Dominican the other night. They were high-fiving and celebrating on the bench like they already had won the gold. Yucking it up while they were devastating the DR team. Pretty classless. I guess I have to say USA, but most of those guys were doing a pretty piss poor job of "representing" us. It would be like me celebrating being mid stomping of a team of 4th graders. Just doesn't look right.
You have no obligation/duty/burden on your shoulders compelling you to support those douchebags if you don't want to, and nor does anyone else. Don't sweat it.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #35
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think I saw a thread like this a couple years ago when another international competition was going on. I think it's a little funny to even ask this question.. it's like an excuse to bash LeBron, etc. As if to say, they are so bad and I hate them so much, I'd root against my own country just to root against them.

If one is to believe in the spirit of the Olympics, which may already be a stretch with all the commercialization, then the Olympics is suppose to be about countries, not individuals. To me, the USA folks - in any sport - represent us. Our system, education, history, belief structure and society produced these athletes. Even if they aren't everything you personally stand for, in the athletic realm, they represent what we do and stand for as Americans as a society/country.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #36
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I think I saw a thread like this a couple years ago when another international competition was going on. I think it's a little funny to even ask this question.. it's like an excuse to bash LeBron, etc. As if to say, they are so bad and I hate them so much, I'd root against my own country just to root against them.

If one is to believe in the spirit of the Olympics, which may already be a stretch with all the commercialization, then the Olympics is suppose to be about countries, not individuals. To me, the USA folks - in any sport - represent us. Our system, education, history, belief structure and society produced these athletes. Even if they aren't everything you personally stand for, in the athletic realm, they represent what we do and stand for as Americans as a society/country.
mm. pass. There's not much Carmelo Anthony and several of the others can represent me for. In an athletic realm, I don't have to worry about where my allegiance lies. Sure it's supposed to be about the countries, but it comes down to individuals that play, and there are a few that I simply can't stand. I'd rather cheer my favorite player and home town hero, even if he's from a different country. I could honestly care less if they flame out early, shockingly and embarrassingly...to who ever.

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

For sure. I wish we were more like Europeans, too!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post

That's fair. But it would help a lot if they had a worthy competitor. As it is, rooting for the basketball team comes across a bit jingoistic. I'd be very, very happy if they lost...and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #39
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
As it is, rooting for the basketball team comes across a bit jingoistic.
I'll disagree here. The way I see it, rooting against the basketball team comes off as a consistently gross over exaggeration of how "bad" or dislikeable the players on the team are.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'll disagree here. The way I see it, rooting against the basketball team comes off as a consistently gross over exaggeration of how "bad" or dislikeable the players on the team are.
I don't dislike any of the players. Individually, they are all okay. But collectively, they are like a high school team competing with junior highs for the title.

There is just no "sport" in it. And that's what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Either sport, or brilliance. It's okay for there to be a Jesse Owens or a Mark Spitz or a Michael Phelps, where the outcome wasn't much in doubt, as long as what you get instead is something kinda generational. But this basketball team? They are going to win the gold medal walking away, and there isn't going to be anything at all excellent about it.

The hockey team in '80 was the best Olympic moment in most of our lifetimes. Not the "Dream Team" in '92. This year's basketball games will be spectacles, that's for sure--and I will certainly be tuned in, like everyone else--but they will be a long, long way from sport.

Last edited by chumdawg; 07-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote