Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Who would you want to win an Olympic matchup between Dirk and German vs the US
Germany 37 56.06%
USA 29 43.94%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #41
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't dislike any of the players. Individually, they are all okay. But collectively, they are like a high school team competing with junior highs for the title.

There is just no "sport" in it. And that's what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Either sport, or brilliance. It's okay for there to be a Jesse Owens or a Mark Spitz or a Michael Phelps, where the outcome wasn't much in doubt, as long as what you get instead is something kinda generational. But this basketball team? They are going to win the gold medal walking away, and there isn't going to be anything at all excellent about it.

The hockey team in '80 was the best Olympic moment in most of our lifetimes. Not the "Dream Team" in '92. This year's basketball games will be spectacles, that's for sure--and I will certainly be tuned in, like everyone else--but they will be a long, long way from sport.
Well I certainly can't disagree that they need better competition. That'd be terrific. But why does the current lack of that competition compel you (or anyone else) to actively root against them? There's a bit of a disconnect there.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #42
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Well I certainly can't disagree that they need better competition. That'd be terrific. But why does the current lack of that competition compel you (or anyone else) to actively root against them? There's a bit of a disconnect there.
Because everybody loves the underdog.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #43
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Love the dirkster...can't really stand lebron/chris paul/carmelo.. So...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #44
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't dislike any of the players. Individually, they are all okay. But collectively, they are like a high school team competing with junior highs for the title.

There is just no "sport" in it. And that's what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Either sport, or brilliance. It's okay for there to be a Jesse Owens or a Mark Spitz or a Michael Phelps, where the outcome wasn't much in doubt, as long as what you get instead is something kinda generational. But this basketball team? They are going to win the gold medal walking away, and there isn't going to be anything at all excellent about it.

The hockey team in '80 was the best Olympic moment in most of our lifetimes. Not the "Dream Team" in '92. This year's basketball games will be spectacles, that's for sure--and I will certainly be tuned in, like everyone else--but they will be a long, long way from sport.
At this point I would say it's closer to a 5A team competing with a good 3A team.

I like the idea of the USA being better than the rest of the world at basketball so I don't care who is on the team. I root for the laundry.

Rooting for Germany is akin to rooting for the Cavs then the Heat because you like Lebron.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #45
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
To me, the USA folks - in any sport - represent us. Our system, education, history, belief structure and society produced these athletes. Even if they aren't everything you personally stand for, in the athletic realm, they represent what we do and stand for as Americans as a society/country.
Speak for yourself when it comes to the players on Team USA representing American society. Most of the people in my life share an identity more akin to Dirk's than any of those ego-driven douchebags that are currently (mis)representing the United States. Maybe people like me aren't in the majority, but I'm still a product of this system, education, history, belief structure and society, and I see very little in common between me and those guys.

Plus, we're a country full of immigrants - that's what makes America so different from the rest of the world... Freely rooting for an adopted hometown hero is a uniquely American thing to do, and I choose to exercise that uniqueness.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #46
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

D2K up in this joint!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #47
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Speak for yourself when it comes to the players on Team USA representing American society. Most of the people in my life share an identity more akin to Dirk's than any of those ego-driven douchebags that are currently (mis)representing the United States. Maybe people like me aren't in the majority, but I'm still a product of this system, education, history, belief structure and society, and I see very little in common between me and those guys.

Plus, we're a country full of immigrants - that's what makes America so different from the rest of the world... Freely rooting for an adopted hometown hero is a uniquely American thing to do, and I choose to exercise that uniqueness.
We like to think that we're more like this athlete or that athlete but that's sort of like a chicken saying it's more falcon than eagle. I doubt any of us are like Dirk. Not that many folks go overseas at 19 to become an international megastar at a foreign sport.. dude is a special cat.

All Dirk love aside, that's beside my original point. My point is our society gave us LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kevin Love. We love individualism, celebrities and marketing the crap out of sneakers. We do 120M endorsement deals, reality TV and clock YouTube dunk clips a million views easy. Our society didn't produce Dirk for a reason. It did also produce the best overall basketball talent by far for a reason, too.

We all can say we don't relate to these mega mega basketball stars, who are even celebrities to their fellow Olympian athletes, but they do represent us (us meaning Americans, not necessarily every single American). Sort of like the way the President represents Americans, but not necessarily every American.

Not trying to come off more American or anything like that.. I'm just not sure I follow the logic. Think you could beef against who the USA basketball committee picked as national reps rather than beef against the people wearing the USA jersey themselves.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 07-24-2012 at 01:58 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #48
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We like to think that we're more like this athlete or that athlete but that's sort of like a chicken saying it's more falcon than eagle. I doubt any of us are like Dirk. Not that many folks go overseas at 19 to become an international megastar at a foreign sport.. dude is a special cat.

All Dirk love aside, that's beside my original point. My point is our society gave us LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kevin Love. We love individualism, celebrities and marketing the crap out of sneakers. We do 120M endorsement deals, reality TV and clock YouTube dunk clips a million views easy. Our society didn't produce Dirk for a reason. It did also produce the best overall basketball talent by far for a reason, too.

We all can say we don't relate to these mega mega basketball stars, who are even celebrities to their fellow Olympian athletes, but they do represent us (us meaning Americans, not necessarily every single American). Sort of like the way the President represents Americans, but not necessarily every American.

Not trying to come off more American or anything like that.. I'm just not sure I follow the logic. Think you could beef against who the USA basketball committee picked as national reps rather than beef against the people wearing the USA jersey.
You have fun rooting for symbolic interests - I'm going to go ahead and root for tangible interests...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #49
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
We love individualism, celebrities and marketing the crap out of sneakers.
Precisely why I'd love to see the US team lose.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #50
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

It's all good, UD. I'd be happy for Dirk if he won.

I'm rooting for the country that brought Dirk to Dallas

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 AM   #51
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
Precisely why I'd love to see the US team lose.
There's some crappy elements in our sport, politics, everything.. but I don't think failure is the only means to removing them.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #52
Underdog

Quote:
It's all good, UD. I'd be happy for Dirk if he won.

I'm rooting for the country that brought Dirk to Dallas
You're rooting for some abstract concept that "brought" Dirk to Dallas, whereas I'm rooting for a man who made that abstract concept relevant through his acts, despite being a foreigner. The people make America, not the other way around.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #53
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
There's some crappy elements in our sport, politics, everything.. but I don't think failure is the only means to removing them.
It may not be the only means, but it goes a long, long way.

If they would throw some college guys out there, I would be right on board. How great it would be, to watch Jae Crowder play for Olympic gold! But this team? I figure they are a billionaire, collectively. My heart does not go out.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #54
Underdog

Quote:
It may not be the only means, but it goes a long, long way.

If they would throw some college guys out there, I would be right on board. How great it would be, to watch Jae Crowder play for Olympic gold! But this team? I figure they are a billionaire, collectively. My heart does not go out.
Aside from Team USA, how many Olympians are millionaires BEFORE they get endorsements for winning the gold?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #55
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

There are three dozen other Olympic sports in which one can cheer for the U.S. in clear conscience. Forget the sham that is U.S. basketball.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
At this point I would say it's closer to a 5A team competing with a good 3A team.

I like the idea of the USA being better than the rest of the world at basketball so I don't care who is on the team. I root for the laundry.

Rooting for Germany is akin to rooting for the Cavs then the Heat because you like Lebron.
Rotting for this US team is akin to being a German and rooting for Hitler just because he happens to be the leader of your country. And let's be honest.. Lebron James is basketball Hitler.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-24-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #57
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Eh...I'd say Wade is basketball Hitler but he's out.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #58
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whoah! Who is this guy!?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #59
Underdog

Hitler references in the Team USA vs. Germany thread?

If it's gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my d!ck in the mashed potatoes!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #60
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

I find this very amusing...

Here's a question for those of you (directed at Americans mind you) that just can't bring yourselves to root for the evil USA team: who would you root for if the US was playing Argentina or Brazil? Surely you couldn't let out a single cheer for the balding one, could you? You would want Kobe and LeBron to win right?

So this is simply a love for Dirk overpowering any need to feel superior to others in basketball right? I don't know. I think it would be weird if Germany ended up Gold to our Silver.

I'll stick to my original assessment and wish Dirk a great game just to prove he's still one of the best at his position and that he can carry a team but would want the US to ultimately win.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
bobbyfg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #61
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyfg7 View Post
So this is simply a love for Dirk overpowering any need to feel superior to others in basketball right?
What "need to feel superior" are you talking about? If I root for Dirk, and Dirk wins, then I win... It's not like there's anything at stake if Team USA loses - I'm not on the squad, nor is a loss going to jeopardize America's political or economic standing in the world. It's just a game.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #62
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Because everybody loves the underdog.
So I take it you abandoned your Cowboys fandom and actively rooted against them in the early-to-mid 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Rotting for this US team is akin to being a German and rooting for Hitler just because he happens to be the leader of your country. And let's be honest.. Lebron James is basketball Hitler.
Case in point to my comment above about gross over exaggeration.

I also find this line of commentary humorous, given that nobody on this board (outside of maybe some of our German members) can name 75% of the German roster without looking it up, much less tell us about what kind of people they are.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Here's a question for those of you (directed at Americans mind you) that just can't bring yourselves to root for the evil USA team: who would you root for if the US was playing Argentina or Brazil? Surely you couldn't let out a single cheer for the balding one, could you? You would want Kobe and LeBron to win right?

So this is simply a love for Dirk overpowering any need to feel superior to others in basketball right? I don't know. I think it would be weird if Germany ended up Gold to our Silver.

I'll stick to my original assessment and wish Dirk a great game just to prove he's still one of the best at his position and that he can carry a team but would want the US to ultimately win.
Actually, I wouldn't "root" for this USA basketball team under any circumstances.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #64
bobbyfg7

bobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to beholdbobbyfg7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What "need to feel superior" are you talking about? If I root for Dirk, and Dirk wins, then I win... It's not like there's anything at stake if Team USA loses - I'm not on the squad, nor is a loss going to jeopardize America's political or economic standing in the world.
I'm refering to basketball pride. The whole basis behind assembling the dream team was because we lost, right? We needed to be the best at basketball. So we put our best guys out there so we would win.

My statement was more a generalization in jest that Americans feel that we have the best basketball players and we should always win. So if your love for Dirk is greater than that, cool. I just said it would be weird for me if the US lost.
“They gotta come through Texas first. We’ll see what happens. I’m still mad about the ’06 Finals. LeBron just walked into a fire he doesn’t know about.” - JET (said at the beginning of the '10-'11 season)
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #65
Underdog

Quote:
I'm refering to basketball pride. The whole basis behind assembling the dream team was because we lost, right? We needed to be the best at basketball. So we put our best guys out there so we would win.

My statement was more a generalization in jest that Americans feel that we have the best basketball players and we should always win. So if your love for Dirk is greater than that, cool. I just said it would be weird for me if the US lost.
Fair enough... To each their own - that's the beautiful thing about this country.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #66
bobbyfg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Actually, I wouldn't "root" for this USA basketball team under any circumstances.
Touché Murphy...touché.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #67
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you consider this as wishing him well? You realize this would break his heart more than any other outcome, right?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #68
lukasbayern18

lukasbayern18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljasonandjimmy View Post
why would we want germany to win? dirk shouldve suited up for team usa he lived in dallas long enough (i have no idea if thats correct) plus all the elbows from karl malone and other tough american players broke him in to be a nba player. in other words. .....words
As a German, I can tell you that this does not make so much sense. There are many US footballers who go abroad and still represent the United States in international competitions. Dirk is a huge hero in Germany, a true inspiration. No matter how much time he spends in Dallas, he will always be German. Additionally, to get US citizenship, he would most likely have to give up his German passport, which is unlikely.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #69
bobbyfg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Do you consider this as wishing him well? You realize this would break his heart more than any other outcome, right?
That is probably true. I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm sure my sentiment was probably even more selfish than that. Not sure how but if I know me...oohhh boy...

Is Germany even in the Olympics for basketball and is Dirk playing? I haven't seen anything and am too lazy to look it up.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #70
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Quote:

Come on now... you bring up he who's name we cannot say? Heeeelllll nah. Will not root for him ever. Granted I already said I would root for USA over Germany with an asterisks, but you are just twisting things by bringing up the balding evil one.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #71
LonghornDub

Quote:
Is Germany even in the Olympics for basketball and is Dirk playing? I haven't seen anything and am too lazy to look it up.
No and no.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #72
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Whoah! Who is this guy!?
Just getting over my championship hangover. I've found it hard to get really riled up about anything basketball related since that glorious night in June of 2011 .
Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #73
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So I take it you abandoned your Cowboys fandom and actively rooted against them in the early-to-mid 90s.
That's different...that's Cowboys football. A class all its own.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #74
LonghornDub

Quote:
That's different...that's Cowboys football. A class all its own.
So everybody likes the underdog, unless they already like the favorite. Got it.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #75
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hitlers beard can´t compete with James Harden.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #76
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

if i could live anywhere in the world it would be new zealand so guess i should root for them

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #77
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

If Dirk was playing for Germany against the US, I'd watch the game and enjoy it. Its a win-win scenario for me. I wanna win the most gold, so regardless of my disdain for LeBron I'd accept their victory as one for Team USA. Would I be cheering like a rabid fan for them? No, absolutely not. LeBron being the face of this team dampens my enthusiasm.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #78
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So everybody likes the underdog, unless they already like the favorite. Got it.
As I said, it's different. I certainly hope you aren't seriously trying to compare Cowboys football and...Olympic basketball. Good god, man.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #79
LonghornDub

Quote:
As I said, it's different. I certainly hope you aren't seriously trying to compare Cowboys football and...Olympic basketball. Good god, man.
Who said anything about comparing them? They're certainly different. Doesn't matter one bit to the point, though.

I just found it funny that you referred to rooting for USA basketball as "jingoistic" (an obvious gross exaggeration in itself), when I've had countless people from outside Texas ask me how in the hell I could ever be a Cowboys fan. I'm a Cowboys fan because I'm from Dallas, I'm a USA basketball fan because I'm from the USA. Pretty simple. If the latter is "jingoistic," the former is good old-fashioned Texas provincialism. Yee haw!

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #80
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Who said anything about comparing them? They're certainly different. Doesn't matter one bit to the point, though.

I just found it funny that you referred to rooting for USA basketball as "jingoistic" (an obvious gross exaggeration in itself), when I've had countless people from outside Texas ask me how in the hell I could ever be a Cowboys fan. I'm a Cowboys fan because I'm from Dallas, I'm a USA basketball fan because I'm from the USA. Pretty simple. If the latter is "jingoistic," the former is good old-fashioned Texas provincialism. Yee haw!
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. Myself, I'm comfortable making a distinction between a hometown team that plays entire season after entire season and a band of mercenaries that plays for a few weeks once in four years.