Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute
Default The "Dwight Howard to the Mavs" Info Thread v.2012-2013

None of the old threads is exactly suitable for this topic. I'll start us off, from Woj just a few minutes ago:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
If Howard gets to free agency in '13 without having been traded to Nets or Lakers, Dallas is overwhelming favorite to sign him, sources say.
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Howard's camp has consistently warned Houston not to trade for him, that he'd march right into Dallas' cap space next summer.
Fair disclaimer--that could obviously be a bluff just to prevent Houston from trading for him. Fair disclaimer #2--this thread may become irrelevant very quickly if Orlando trades him in August, as previous reports have indicated.

Nevertheless....interesting stuff.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 07-25-2012 at 08:39 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not getting excited just yet. Still a lot of smoke to clear regarding this dude.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

I have no proof, but I think it is a bluff to force Houston to drop out and just leave Lakers as only viable option since that is where Howard wants to go. At least, that was my thinking when I first read that tweet. Orlando is left playing a game of chicken on whether to trade him to Lakers or just deal with drama until trade deadline in hopes of getting better deal......or even just letting him expire with no trade. Orlando wants picks and cap space so not sure how Lakers will get that done without involving 3rd team.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

Last edited by roadrunner; 07-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
Orlando is left playing a game of chicken on whether to trade him to Lakers or just deal with drama until December trade deadline
Isn't the deadline in February/March?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

My question is, if this does go to trade deadline, will the Mavs be a contender for a trade at that point?
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Last edited by roadrunner; 07-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
roadrunner
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Your right...thanks for correction

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Yeah, it's usually around the last week in February.

Not sure how I would feel if Howard came here. I guess it would be super cool...and it would certainly make the front office look like geniuses. But rooting for him would take some getting used to. Maybe as much as several days.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Rick41
Diamond Member

We would also need to see how he is after that major back surgery he had.

Read somewhere not too long ago that he isn't even able to run yet.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Yeah, it's usually around the last week in February.

Not sure how I would feel if Howard came here. I guess it would be super cool...and it would certainly make the front office look like geniuses. But rooting for him would take some getting used to. Maybe as much as several days.
If we somehow landed Howard, I'd do everything within my power to help you work through the hard times... I might even +rep you with a smiley face just to make sure things don't get too emotionally out of hand. As Mavs fans, I believe that we need to be there for each other, even when the tragedy of landing a top-tier player strikes.

I just want you to know that you can count on me for support, Chum.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, UD. I needed to hear that.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

I was reading an article earlier that Bynum is looking to sign a three-year extension with the Lakers. If that's the case, perhaps they're not looking to move him? If that's the case you have the Nets and Dallas. The Nets would have luxury tax hell if they signed Dwight. I know that they can afford it, but you're still talking about an insane amount of luxury tax that even the Lakers would never take on. And the Magic aren't interested in their assets, so I'm not sure how realistic the Nets are for Dwight. Didn't we just spend the last month watching Brooklyn fail to get Dwight? If their assets don't change between now and the deadline, why would we expect the trade to happen then either?
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

D Howard can eat a flaming bag of Sht!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
I was reading an article earlier that Bynum is looking to sign a three-year extension with the Lakers. If that's the case, perhaps they're not looking to move him? If that's the case you have the Nets and Dallas. The Nets would have luxury tax hell if they signed Dwight. I know that they can afford it, but you're still talking about an insane amount of luxury tax that even the Lakers would never take on. And the Magic aren't interested in their assets, so I'm not sure how realistic the Nets are for Dwight. Didn't we just spend the last month watching Brooklyn fail to get Dwight? If their assets don't change between now and the deadline, why would we expect the trade to happen then either?
Considering everything that's come out of the Orlando front office so far, I don't think they really have any interest in Lopez and his ridiculous contract, nor would they want a non-expiring Bynum... They're looking for a clean slate - it doesn't seem like they'd want to take on any big contracts that they didn't ink themselves (with CBA-friendly clauses, of course).

I'm not saying we'd be a lock to sign Howard if Bynum signed that extension, but I don't really see a whole lot of competition if the Lakers and Nets are out of the running...

Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

While I'm extremely disappointed in Dwight's behavior over the past 6 months... I would be first in like to welcome him to the Mavs, and with open arms. I would love to have the "problem" of having to deal with Dwight's "drama".... which disappears the instant that the team starts contending.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Now, Fisher has some insider article that the Mavs are talking to Orlando about a trade to Dallas. Personally I think that is all it is: talk. The Mavs aint got squat to trade for Howard.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Now, Fisher has some insider article that the Mavs are talking to Orlando about a trade to Dallas. Personally I think that is all it is: talk. The Mavs aint got squat to trade for Howard.
We mathematically can't trade for him until December, unless the Dirkster is involved. I asked Fisher about this and he basically said "Not true, check out dallasbasketball.com Insider for more LOL!" in response.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Fisher and that damn Insider crap is getting to be like Sally Struthers bit on the children in Africa. "For just pennies a day you too can....."
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
We mathematically can't trade for him until December, unless the Dirkster is involved. I asked Fisher about this and he basically said "Not true, check out dallasbasketball.com Insider for more LOL!" in response.
That man is desperate for your 11 cents.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Used as leverage again.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
Underdog

Quote:
I don't know how you can make a trade before December, but after that you could send the expiring contracts of Kaman and Carter along with Mayo (or any combination of expirings in Collison/Roddy/Dahntay/Wright) packaged with any of our recent or future draft picks to get it done... You'd likely need a third team to facilitate the deal though.

Honestly, it'll probably be easier to wait until next summer...

EDIT: Technically speaking, you could send the expiring contracts of Kaman/Carter/Wright/Dahntay right now, but Orlando is going to want more than just the cap relief that they'd be getting anyway if Dwight walks... Gonna need a third team's picks and a lot of really good drugs to swing that deal.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-25-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't know how you can make a trade before December, but after that you could send the expiring contracts of Kaman and Carter along with Mayo (or any combination of expirings in Collison/Roddy/Dahntay/Wright) packaged with any of our recent or future draft picks to get it done... You'd likely need a third team to facilitate the deal though.

Honestly, it'll probably be easier to wait until next summer...

I may be a little bit behind, but isn't Vince's deal fully guaranteed for now and next season since we passed the 6/30 deadline about buying him out?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
I may be a little bit behind, but isn't Vince's deal fully guaranteed for now and next season since we passed the 6/30 deadline about buying him out?
Fully guaranteed for this year - next year is a team option.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-25-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #23
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

It makes a lot of sense... I mean, we would be the only big market team that would still have the cap space. And he said numerous times he wouldn't mind playing here. Unfortunately, the Lakers pose a real danger to get him...

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-26-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #24
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Used as leverage again.
He has all the leverage in the world already, and we were named as one of his preferred destionations even before he waived his ETO, by numerous source. He obviously wouldn't mind playing in Dallas. I don't get that loser mentality. Sooner or later, we'll get a big FA. It will happen. It's just a matter of when.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

I ain't giving up any assets for Howard. If he still happens to be a free agent next year and would like to sign as a free agent then I'm great with that. No way in hell would I take on a bunch of awful contracts that the magic are trying to get rid of. Let Houston sink themselves with that mess. Regardless if im the mavs I formulate a plan that doesn't involve Howard and if we happen to get him then you do it. Howard is so wishy washy I wouldn't plan the teams future around him.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

MAke that a frozen bag, I want it to last a while.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
roadrunner
Golden Member

From Adrian Woj

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--dw...oblematic.html

Quote:
As appealing trade scenarios for his franchise player shrink, Orlando Magic general manager Rob Hennigan's mission of beginning to build trust with All-Star center Dwight Howard was met with an unmistakable response in a Wednesday meeting: Howard continues to rule out a future with the Magic, and wants a trade to the Los Angeles Lakers before the start of the season, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"Dwight remained unchanged in his want to be traded," a source with knowledge of the meeting said. "And he has no intention of signing another contract extension with Orlando."

Without a deal that would deliver him to the Lakers in the near future, sources said Howard wants Henningan to revisit trade talks with the Brooklyn Nets in January, when center Brook Lopez is eligible to be traded. If deals don't surface with the Lakers or Nets, Howard plans to sign with the Dallas Mavericks as a free agent in the summer of 2013.

While the Lakers and Nets won't have the salary cap space to sign Howard, nor the opportunity to execute a sign-and-trade deal under new CBA rules, the Mavericks will be flush with cap space next summer. Mavs owner Mark Cuban plans to make a run at Howard, and potentially another star player, to join Dirk Nowitzki.

For Howard, that threat continues to make it difficult for Orlando to attract trade suitors willing to unload valuable assets for a superstar likely to be a rental player for only several months. Despite the Houston Rockets' determination to trade for Howard and convince him to stay long term, Howard's camp has repeatedly warned Houston owner Les Alexander and GM Daryl Morey that they will lose Howard to rival Dallas in free agency next July, sources said.

Hennigan and Orlando assistant Scott Perry flew to Los Angeles on Wednesday and met with Howard and his representatives for about two hours. When told that the Magic had tried to honor his desire to be moved, Howard probed Hennigan on why the GM hadn't accepted deals that could've sent him to the Nets or Lakers before those teams used valuable trade assets to acquire Joe Johnson and Steve Nash respectively.

Hennigan has insisted that no proposed deal has been satisfactory and the franchise has shown some willingness to take its time to see what offers develop. Nevertheless the rental market for Howard is lean and the Lakers used two first-round picks in the sign-and-trade deal for Nash. The Cleveland Cavaliers and Houston are willing to be third-team trade partners for the Magic and Lakers in deals that would send them All-Star center Andrew Bynum.

Last edited by roadrunner; 07-26-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fully guaranteed for this year - next year is a team option.
No, Vince is fully guaranteed next season. His contracts for this season and next season became fully guaranteed on 6/30.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-26-2012 at 08:56 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, Fish's article basically says (with direct quotes from Donnie) that the Mavs don't have a good trade offer right now, and hope he ends the season with Houston or Orlando.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
No, Vince is fully guaranteed next season. His contracts for this season and next season became fully guaranteed on 6/30.
So our team option for this season covered next season as well? I don't get it - is this specific to his contract, or is this some kind of rule that I don't know about? I thought the last season was optional...

Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
BTW, Fish's article basically says (with direct quotes from Donnie) that the Mavs don't have a good trade offer right now, and hope he ends the season with Houston or Orlando.
Fish wants people to pay for an article that says absolutely nothing different than what everyone else is already saying? I'm absolutely shocked.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-26-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
So our team option for this season covered next season as well? I don't get it - is this specific to his contract, or is this some kind of rule that I don't know about? I thought the last season was optional...
It wasn't really a team option at all. His contract was simply partially guaranteed, with a date at which it became fully guaranteed. That date as passed.

We can still waive him and use the stretch provision to reduce his cap hit down to 1Mil next season if we want (as could any team we might trade him to).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
Underdog

Quote:
It wasn't really a team option at all. His contract was simply partially guaranteed, with a date at which it became fully guaranteed. That date as passed.

We can still waive him and use the stretch provision to reduce his cap hit down to 1Mil next season if we want (as could any team we might trade him to).
Dammit, Thig - where were you last night when I was coming up with possible trade scenarios? And don't tell me you have a life outside this forum, because I don't buy it! I wasted a perfectly good beer trying to come up with a trade that could go down before December...

Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #34
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets see -- if I have read correctly. Straight up trades.

The only way the Nets get D12 is if Orlando takes back the Lopez contract and Humphries - WOW I just can't see Orlando doing that.
The only way the Lakers get D12 is if Orlando takes back Bynum which leaves them in the same boat with Bynum as he says he won't re-up with Orlando.

Dallas has nothing to offer.

Houston is the only team with an offer that actually helps Orlando to rebuild -- and they might take D12 as a rental. Orlando would be seriously off to not take the Houston deal. Houston might be crazy to offer one, but the best deal I have heard for Orlando, is the Houston one.

UNLESS a separate deal goes in with a 3rd team -- I think Dallas has a legit shot now.

Then at FA time you have Dwight in Houston and them being able to build with Lin and Asik, and the extra 25M due to Birds rights -- or Dallas who can win, and has Dirk.

IF they three team do some stuff -- maybe.
Bynum to Houston - D12 to LA - Orlando gets the Houston offer ----- might be the best deal for all involved if Bynum would re-up, etc. Lots of things to work out there.

I can see how Dallas thinks they might be able to get involved though. Lots of parts. Lots of coming back from injuries, etc.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
That man is desperate for your 11 cents.
Rumors are a dime a dozen. 11 cents for one is way overpriced...
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #36
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Used as leverage again.
Well, lets see he uses his 3rd prefered team (Dallas) as leverage to force a trade to his #1 or #2 choice. He of course prefers Lakers or Nets over us, better roster and he doesnt have to wait another full year.

He uses us as "hey, you cant punish me with not trading me and become an FA because i have a great FA team as option too".

Lets see:
I still doubt the Magic want to have Lopez with his max contract. With the Nets S5 i also dont see him going 20/8 until the deadline.

Same goes kind of with Bynum. The Magic dont like him, he isnt even close to a new franchiseplayer and he need to sign the extension first anway.

So i guess it has to be a 3way deal with Dwight and thats what gonna happen.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nevertheless the rental market for Howard is lean and the Lakers used two first-round picks in the sign-and-trade deal for Nash.
So... Lakers offload Odom on the Mavs and use the TE to acquire Nash... Mavs fans grumble about losing Nash being Odom's final insult to the team... but maybe the Odom-enabled Nash acquisition plays a part in preventing Howard from going to LA? Fingers crossed.

Always in motion, the future is...
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

This gives me a great deal of encouragement and renewed faith in the FO. Yes, I am more than willing to admit that I was a huge naysayer at the beginning of free agency. Glad to see I was wrong.

Quote:
"I expect to go into the luxury tax in the future," Cuban said, although declining to specify the obvious scenario in which he would. "I'm not going to lay down my cards in public."
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...a-restrictions
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to get my hopes up that this happens...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #40
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

I think since this came on the heels of Orlando's GM meeting with Howard, I put no value on this rumor. I think it came from Howard's camp to escalate things. Orlando right now holds the cards and those are ugly contracts of Hedo, JRich, etc. But by free agency next July, they won't have much leverage, if the Mavs can give him a near max deal. Howard does not want to waste another year, thus the push to get a deal done. There's no way Orlando keeps him after the whole trust issue was violated when someone informed the press that Howard wanted SVG gone. No matter how much Hennigan talks to him, that trust was already breeched, and it doesn't bode well to any others around the league....Bynum refusing to extend with Orlando. Until ownership changes and house is cleaned, it's not goign to be good destination for FA's. Fisher is BSing when he says the Mavs can get him now. Most of the contracts were signed within the month, rules wise, we won't be able to trade those until mid December. If anything is done before December, it's the Lakers or Houston. This rumor is trying to light a fire under the Lakers ass. The Nets couldn't do anything until December once Lopez resigned.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awful thread, dwight to lakers: book it, maybe or maybe not, not gonna happen, time waste101, to book or not to book, waiting for guffman