Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #81
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Naw man I've been following the Lakers this year....Lebron is legit hurt now and AD sits out some games but if you see LeBron sitting out its not gonna say "rest" next to his name.

I remember when Pop was the only person doing it seemed like. But I mean I got why he did it he was trying to salvage Parker, Gino and Duncan who all were in their 30's....but for the life of me I can't understand how a 24 year old needs to be rested. Especially in today's NBA that's not nearly as physical as it use to be. Just sit back and launch up a 3 pointer.
They aren’t allowed to use the rest designation anymore. The NBA doesn’t allow it, so they started using “load management”. Now I think they have to make something up like back tightness or knee surgery recovery management or something. Nearly positive LeBron has been given the rest tag, when it was allowed.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #82
adam18daniel1989

adam18daniel1989 will become famous soon enoughadam18daniel1989 will become famous soon enough

I can’t figure out why Tim Jr. only got 24 minutes on a night with Luka out??? I mean he is the most aggressive playmaker we have besides Luka. I know he’s coming off the bench now but 24 minutes??? He shot 50% and he wasn’t even on fire yet. I know it’s different when Luka is setting the offense up for all these guys but we are gonna be in trouble if we can’t get some more capable playmakers/scorers on this team. Defense is great to have unless we can’t score. I think we missed another great opportunity by not letting Tim take over this game with KP. Hopefully we bounce back tomorrow night strong guys. Go Mavs FOREVER!!!
adam18daniel1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #83
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Also Utah is another team that doesn't pull this crap.

I guarantee you mitchel and Gobert will be playing tomorrow on their b2b.

But again if the Mavs had a legit top 11 like Donnie claimed than I can understand resting Luka or KP at times because your depth would over come it.

But we really don't have that great depth they seem to think this team has....

The season is 72 games and the games are so much more important for seeding this year.

It just seems like they don't value the seeding as much as other teams do out west.

Cuban did kind of hint at that when he said in the end the mavs would contend regardless.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #84
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

It also seems like we aren't ever going to catch Portland or Denver because they seem to have more of a sense of urgency than Dallas.

Every time the Mavs close the gap they always seem to either lay an egg or sit a key player out.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-26-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #85
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
It also seems like we aren't ever going to catch Portland or Denver because they seem to have more of a sense of urgency than Dallas.

Every time the Mavs close the gap they always seem to either lay an egg or sit a key player out.
Lilliard rested tonight. He had a bruised leg. This is from an article about it today:

“ Lillard said before the start of the second half of the season that he would likely find spots to take games off during a rugged schedule that has the team playing 10 back-to-backs.”

I guess Lillard and the Blazers don’t care about seeding.

Last edited by FreshJive; 03-26-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #86
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Last observation from tonight’s game.

Brunson has been great this season, but ultimately as someone who isn’t an elite athlete, an elite shooter, or has elite size he’s completely replaceable. The gap between him and Malcolm Brogdon was on display, and its sizable. I would try to sell high on him this off-season.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:53 PM   #87
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
All teams do this for just to balance the load on their most valuable assets. Pop started it. LeBron has been rested as much as anyone.
Is this a joke or do you just dislike LeBron because he’s good? Dude is in his EIGHTEENTH SEASON and lead the league in minutes before injury. He doesn’t miss.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #88
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lilliard rested tonight. He had a bruised leg. This is from an article about it today:

“ Lillard said before the start of the second half of the season that he would likely find spots to take games off during a rugged schedule that has the team playing 10 back-to-backs.”

Dude seriously

Lillard practically carried that team the entire 1st half of this season without taking much rest minus C.J. and other key players.

Why do you think they were able to sustain a top seed all year.

Now he sits out one game that's not a comparison

Dame is like an energizing bunny
Old 03-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #89
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Is this a joke or do you just dislike LeBron because he’s good? Dude is in his EIGHTEENTH SEASON and lead the league in minutes before injury. He doesn’t miss.
I think it's more about trying to justify the mavs decisions

Lebron is like 36 or something

We can only hope Luka or KP at 26 or 28 can have that type of stamina and durability by then

Lebron is a machine though

I'm just frustrated at the opportunities that the mavs have and they seem to be going about it non chalant.

Luka very well might be hurt but when RC tells you they already have plans to not play certain guys doing b2b games then some might think he's healthy and they are just doing what they already told us a month ago in regards to resting.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-26-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #90
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Lillard is a 10 year vet. Luka is 22 with a worse record. With McCollum back they can beat teams while he sits vs the Magic. I’m not sure the Mavs have that luxury.

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-26-2021 at 11:10 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:29 PM   #91
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

I am still depressed tonight to see how poor this supporting cast actually is and don't see anyway we build a true contender from this grouping of players. It is obvious other than Luka and Dirk (2 players in 24 years) Donnie and Cuban have zero ability to build through the draft. KP just isn't the number 2 that will get the Mavs over the top. It was a good effort but likely the wrong guy to be put next to Luka. My main hope is that Luka doesn't forgo the rookie extension and bolt for a better opportunity somewhere else. That would kill Mavs fans.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:35 PM   #92
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lillard is a 10 year vet. Luka is 22 with a worse record. With McCollum back they can beat teams while he sits vs the Magic. I’m not sure the Mavs have that luxury.
Not to mention they just picked up Norman Powell and he scored 22 points tonight

So they can afford to rest Lillard more now than they did the 1st part of the schedule

The Mavs don't have that luxury without having a guy like Powell who was added at the deadline
Old 03-26-2021, 11:45 PM   #93
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lol. Where did I say anything negative about LeBron? LeBron has no doubt rested games in his career.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:47 PM   #94
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

Brunson has been great this season, but ultimately as someone who isn’t an elite athlete, an elite shooter, or has elite size he’s completely replaceable. The gap between him and Malcolm Brogdon was on display, and its sizable. I would try to sell high on him this off-season.
I think they could have sold high on Brunson this deadline and got back a better player but they over value their top rotation guys or fall in love with them so they keep them for locker room cohesion

Some fans think the Mavs don't have tradable pieces with value but I'm pretty sure if they weren't so in love with Brunson, THJ or Richardson they could have got a player who is a legit starter.

I do understand wanting to have continuity but some of these guys have been in the league 3 years or more and you already know who and what they are.....

If you think those guys have another level they can get to then by all means stick with it.

But who on here really believes beyond Luka and KP those other guys have another level to go at their ages or time in the league?

As bad as this might sound Blake Griffin in his current state is probably still a better player than some of the top rotation players we are counting on and that's saying a lot because he was supposed to be done before this magical resurgence in Brooklyn all of sudden

LOL

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-26-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:57 PM   #95
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dude seriously

Lillard practically carried that team the entire 1st half of this season without taking much rest minus C.J. and other key players.

Why do you think they were able to sustain a top seed all year.

Now he sits out one game that's not a comparison

Dame is like an energizing bunny
Luka practically carried this team the entire season. Porzingis missed a bunch of games. Half the team was out for Covid.

You all act like Carlisle invented this idea, and that the Mavs are the only team that does it. The league had to start fining teams, and making injury designation rules, because teams were doing it so much.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:07 AM   #96
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Luka practically carried this team the entire season. Porzingis missed a bunch of games. Half the team was out for Covid.

You all act like Carlisle invented this idea, and that the Mavs are the only team that does it. The league had to start fining teams, and making injury designation rules, because teams were doing it so much.
Look we don't often agree but even you have to admit with the reduced schedule (72 games) regardless of what other teams are doing the Mavs don't have the luxury to mess around.

We don't have the talent or supporting cast like some of these other teams to just throw away games.

Portland is a prime example they now have Norman Powell to pair with C.J and Melo if they decide they want to rest Dame and they can still win.

Denver rarely rest their guys but even if they do now they have like 4 guys Jokic, Porter, Murray and Gordon that allows them to be flexible

Utah has shooters all over the place so one game Mitchell sitting out might not hurt them as much we saw that twice already when they destroyed us without him.

But my point is it seems like the Mavs are hell bent on just getting into the play in bracket and willing to take their chances as a 7th or 8th seed.

Sure you want to be healthy and rested for the playoffs but they had like a two weeks break while other teams never got that type of time off or rest doing the winter storm and all star break.

They rested guys right after the all star break which was insane

Are they truly that good where they can feel confident as a lower seed that matchups don't matter?

Now if most fans think they aren't going to win a 1st round series anyway then hey I guess we don't have a right to be upset since the expectation bar is set low.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:18 AM   #97
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
They aren’t allowed to use the rest designation anymore. The NBA doesn’t allow it, so they started using “load management”. Now I think they have to make something up like back tightness or knee surgery recovery management or something. Nearly positive LeBron has been given the rest tag, when it was allowed.
Maybe I'm thinking about load management designation. But Lebron hasn't been on it this year. Lakers like most teams seem to put these players as "Questionable" every game but they end up playing anyway....
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #98
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

I really like him but I've always had the stance that if someone wanted to trade for him they should do it if its a good return. It seems like the league is getting away from these guys. The low to the ground point guards. Its Kyle Lowry and Chris Paul that I can think of..
Old 03-27-2021, 12:22 AM   #99
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Lol. Where did I say anything negative about LeBron? LeBron has no doubt rested games in his career.
Using him for your argument is just dumb. The amount of minutes and games played over his career is staggering. He’s the absolute opposite of someone to prop up as “load management” guy. Your bias is pretty clear.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:27 AM   #100
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Speaking of which...Norman Powell had 22 points tonight....Blazers are incredibly deep....very good trade on their part.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:28 AM   #101
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Using him for your argument is just dumb. The amount of minutes and games played over his career is staggering. He’s the absolute opposite of someone to prop up as “load management” guy. Your bias is pretty clear.
Yeah I'm not sure what he's getting at about Lebron. You can say it about Anthony Davis but Lebron this season has played most nights.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:54 AM   #102
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fine with resting Luka on b2b games. I honestly don't care about the seeding or if we end up in a play in situation. If you can't beat the 7/8th seed or the 9/10 seed then you weren't going anywhere in the playoffs anyway. Our playoff success will almost entirely depend on health, kp, and jrich IMO. We know what Luka will give us. It's the others that need to be more consistent. B2B's just aren't worth the risk IMO in most situations.

Quote:
Simply not playing in back-to-back games can reduce the probability of an injury by almost 16% for the average player. Whereas the topic of player rest is becoming increasingly controversial for basketball fans and the media, the data support its utility in preventing injuries.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6107769/
This was from 2018, and IMO is why we see plenty of teams resting players in b2b situations. Especially a player like Luka who takes a fair amount of punishment driving to the rim on a nightly basis and is relied upon more than 99% of the rest of the players in the league to carry his team when he is on the floor. And after his game the other night if he even mentions the words stiff or sore... then it's the right move to sit him this game.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:44 AM   #103
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think they could have sold high on Brunson this deadline and got back a better player but they over value their top rotation guys or fall in love with them so they keep them for locker room cohesion

Some fans think the Mavs don't have tradable pieces with value but I'm pretty sure if they weren't so in love with Brunson, THJ or Richardson they could have got a player who is a legit starter.

I do understand wanting to have continuity but some of these guys have been in the league 3 years or more and you already know who and what they are.....

If you think those guys have another level they can get to then by all means stick with it.

But who on here really believes beyond Luka and KP those other guys have another level to go at their ages or time in the league?

As bad as this might sound Blake Griffin in his current state is probably still a better player than some of the top rotation players we are counting on and that's saying a lot because he was supposed to be done before this magical resurgence in Brooklyn all of sudden

LOL
Agree....we have Luka, KP and about 6 or 7 borderline starters that are at their ceilings.

I thought the Mavs missed out on an opportunity this TDL to package several of them and other assets to get a third legit starter. I’m sure they tried but the perception seemed to be that they love the current situation and their chances and would only part with some of the borderline starters if a star caliber like Beal would become available.

Honestly I thought Gordon and Powell were realistic and good fits for us but it didn’t appear the Mavs aggressively pursued either of them and unfortunately lost out to teams just ahead of them in the PO race.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-27-2021 at 02:45 AM.
rimrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #104
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Agree....we have Luka, KP and about 6 or 7 borderline starters that are at their ceilings.

I thought the Mavs missed out on an opportunity this TDL to package several of them and other assets to get a third legit starter. I’m sure they tried but the perception seemed to be that they love the current situation and their chances and would only part with some of the borderline starters if a star caliber like Beal would become available.

Honestly I thought Gordon and Powell were realistic and good fits for us but it didn’t appear the Mavs aggressively pursued either of them and unfortunately lost out to teams just ahead of them in the PO race.
That seems to be the case a lot of times....makes you wonder did they even see about Gordon and Powell....Raptors and Magic were intent on selling.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #105
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I'm fine with resting Luka on b2b games. I honestly don't care about the seeding or if we end up in a play in situation. If you can't beat the 7/8th seed or the 9/10 seed then you weren't going anywhere in the playoffs anyway. Our playoff success will almost entirely depend on health, kp, and jrich IMO. We know what Luka will give us. It's the others that need to be more consistent. B2B's just aren't worth the risk IMO in most situations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6107769/
This was from 2018, and IMO is why we see plenty of teams resting players in b2b situations. Especially a player like Luka who takes a fair amount of punishment driving to the rim on a nightly basis and is relied upon more than 99% of the rest of the players in the league to carry his team when he is on the floor. And after his game the other night if he even mentions the words stiff or sore... then it's the right move to sit him this game.
I hate this line of thinking. These play in games are incredibly short sample size. Play by play guy Mark Followill was questioning the Mavs strategy of giving away games and what it meant to seeding.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #106
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
That seems to be the case a lot of times....makes you wonder did they even see about Gordon and Powell....Raptors and Magic were intent on selling.
from mavsmoneyball
The Pacers got contributions up and down the rotation. Six players scored in double digits and were led by Malcom Brogdon and Domantas Sabonis’ matching 22-point nights. Porzingis showed real effort and earned his first career first-half double double with 15 points and 13 rebounds. He ended with 31 and 18 and had a solid defensive game particularly as the Mavs were giving it one last go in the fourth.

My take
Donnie likes the top of the Mavs rotation but is it really better than the Pacers?

Now keep in mind there was even a report that the Pacers were considering trading some of their best players but the Mavs flat out stated they wouldn't trade any of their rotation players unless it was for a star player coming back.

How could Indiana be willing to ship out guys like Brogdon, Turner or Sabonis yet the Mavs are so in love with guys like Richardson, THJ and Brunson that only a True Super Star coming back would prompt them to even consider a deal.

Obviously it's irrelevant now with the deadline past but the logic just seems baffling to me that they would value their role players more than Indiana values their top players.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #107
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Still never fixed this issue either doing the trade deadline

Dallas Mavericks need for a playmaker shows in loss to Pacers

Luka is the team’s unquestioned lead ball-handler. He tops the NBA in time of possession and is fourth in touches per game. The 22-year-old is an incredible playmaker. He led the Mavericks to the highest offensive rating in NBA history last season, but Dallas might benefit from adding someone that can take the ball out of his hands a bit.

That need shined through on Friday night. The Mavs struggled mightily with Doncic on the sidelines. Kristaps Porzingis stepped up and had a monster 31-point and 18-rebound night, but it was not enough. Here is a look at why Dallas needs another playmaker.

The Mavs sit 26th in the NBA by producing 22.8 assists per game this season as Luka averages 9.1 a night. The ball can get sticky without Doncic on the floor, and it did for extended stretches on March 26.

Dallas had just 17 assists against the Pacers with no player producing more than three. They were just 38 of 94 shooting from the field and an atrocious eight of 35 from 3-point range. Doncic creates more wide open threes than any player in the league, but the Mavericks had to settle for contested looks without him. The ball was just not moving on Friday night as they struggled to create easy shots.

If the Mavs had a secondary playmaker that could play off Luka, they would be better suited to win without their superstar. It is one of the reasons Dallas targeted Kemba Walker in the 2019 offseason. The Mavericks are projected to have cap space this summer. It will be interesting to see if they attempt to sign another capable ball-handler and playmaker.

Jalen Brunson will be a backup point guard in the NBA for the next decade-plus.

JB had an off night against the Pacers. He finished with ten points, four rebounds, and two assists in 34 minutes. The Mavs needed more from their fill-in starter at point guard.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #108
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dtowns is the one who brought up LeBron. I have no bias. I don’t think there is anything wrong with teams deciding to rest players. It’s pretty bizarre that you have interpreted anything I said to be anti LeBron.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #109
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I hate this line of thinking. These play in games are incredibly short sample size. Play by play guy Mark Followill was questioning the Mavs strategy of giving away games and what it meant to seeding.
That's fine to not think like that(or to hate it) but I do. I just feel if you can't win 1 out of 2 games against other borderline playoff teams then you aren't as good as you think you are. MBT clearly think they are a top 5 Western Conference team when healthy. If that is remotely true then you shouldn't go 0-2 in a win or go home scenario. And in terms of seeding 30 games out is too early for me to worry about that especially if it's being measured with a b2b game and the franchise player and keeping him as fresh/healthy as possible.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #110
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Hates the line of thinking that reduces the chance of injury to your most valuable asset, because you fear a play in game against an inferior team.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #111
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hates the line of thinking that reduces the chance of injury to your most valuable asset, because you fear a play in game against an inferior team.
This. 100x this.

Luka is actually sore/injured. Playing him injured and risking greater injury, because you are afraid you will lose to both the 8 seed and 9/10 seed? That is preposterous thinking right there and why Klay Thompson is out a year.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #112
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
from mavsmoneyball
The Pacers got contributions up and down the rotation. Six players scored in double digits and were led by Malcom Brogdon and Domantas Sabonis’ matching 22-point nights. Porzingis showed real effort and earned his first career first-half double double with 15 points and 13 rebounds. He ended with 31 and 18 and had a solid defensive game particularly as the Mavs were giving it one last go in the fourth.

My take
Donnie likes the top of the Mavs rotation but is it really better than the Pacers?

Now keep in mind there was even a report that the Pacers were considering trading some of their best players but the Mavs flat out stated they wouldn't trade any of their rotation players unless it was for a star player coming back.

How could Indiana be willing to ship out guys like Brogdon, Turner or Sabonis yet the Mavs are so in love with guys like Richardson, THJ and Brunson that only a True Super Star coming back would prompt them to even consider a deal.

Obviously it's irrelevant now with the deadline past but the logic just seems baffling to me that they would value their role players more than Indiana values their top players.
From thesmokincuban
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/03/...rade-deadline/
Quote:
A key reason the Mavs only made one move at the trade deadline is they think this team, when healthy, is a top-four team in the Western Conference. Yes, they sit seventh in the West after 41 games, but Dallas has only had their preferred starting five healthy for 15 games this season. The Mavs have 11 wins in that stretch and an offensive rating of 123.6. That rating would destroy the NBA record the team set last season at 115.9.

It does not stop there, though. The Mavericks have a 6.7 net rating over those 15 games, which would rank third in the NBA behind only the Jazz and Bucks if they produced it over the entire season.
Dallas was hit hard by COVID with five players missing extended time. They have also dealt with injuries and needed time to mesh together as a team. Dismiss the 15 game sample as small if you wish, but the Mavs are playing outstanding basketball right now
It is what it is agree or disagree(I have no idea the strength of opponents those 15 are) with where they stand in that small sample size but if that's how they feel I understand it, especially considering our limited assets.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #113
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
From thesmokincuban
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/03/...rade-deadline/

It is what it is agree or disagree(I have no idea the strength of opponents those 15 are) with where they stand in that small sample size but if that's how they feel I understand it, especially considering our limited assets.
If this team was a top 4 team out west they would be higher regardless of the covid excuse.

Portland has played a longer stretch of games without full arsenal (McCullum, Collins & Nurkic) and still managed to have a better record then the Mavs all year. Just added Norman Powell better than any player on our roster not named Luka or KP

We got demolished by Utah twice does anyone really think the Mavs defensively can hold vs Utah?

Denver before the trade deadline I thought the Mavs were equal to if not slightly better. After the deadline deals no way I think the Mavs are better than them especially since Gordon if you go back watch that Orlando game was one of the few guys who could control Luka without much help.

LA Lakers when fully healthy is better than Dallas unless someone wants to present a valid argument. Heck they might even be adding Drummond so that just moves them further ahead of Dallas.

LA Clippers are really good on paper and they pose some matchup problems vs Dallas in their bigger stronger wing players. But the Mavs seem to play with confidence vs them so that could be a tossup.

Phoenix lacked experience before adding Paul and Crowder. They always seem to out play Dallas in the clutch because of Paul or Booker making plays. So who wants to debate if Dallas is better than Phoenix?

I mean if Donnie really feels that way this team is a top 4 west team over the course of a full season without covid interruption by all means he has that right to feel confident.

Cuban also said the Mavs will be their at the end competing as a contender.

So the front office has great confident as they should.

But we've all watched the Mavs this year at full strength and I think we've all seen they get destroyed on the glass by bigger teams or more physical teams. They struggle to get consistent stops and they usually come out flat in a lot of games.

They don't have a secondary ball handler or someone who can create their own shot.

I'd love for them to be a top 4 but I just see too many flaws on this team especially if they aren't hitting shots to take them serious as legit top 4 team.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #114
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the NBA will get the hint next season and eliminate back to backs

If stars aren't playing then they are barely worth watching
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #115
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

This would be better IMO

But unfortunately I don't think it will ever change.

You just don't see this stuff in other sports like Hockey or MLB.

Heck even in the NFL although different guys won't sit out games unless it's end of the season resting before the playoffs or they have legit injury making them unable to play.

I'd rather they just reduce the amount of games but even then just like this year only 72 games guys are still sitting out.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #116
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

They were making good progress in reducing B2Bs before Covid. I think they understood that it was an issue. This year is just insane. Even crazier with our canceled games because of Covid and weather
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:29 PM   #117
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Crossing fingers that Ball is out tonight and if KP sits Boban plays vs Adams.

Not sure what you do with Zion that's just a mismatch regardless of who you put on him.