Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #41
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Considering most of us thought Porzingis's contract was a negative asset heading into this season, I think we should be grateful we were able to move him.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:56 AM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rewatching it and the more I see the more I like

Refs were terrible
Mavs missed Luka and Kleber

But he’ll if they didn’t try. This is a team win and even though it’s just the Kings, it means a lot. Dinwiddie stepped up. Green was huge. DFS was DFS. This was a morale booster for sure
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #43
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Anyone still think we shouldn't have traded KP?
IT all depends

As I mentioned earlier had they just went after Dinwiddie last summer and not THJ to that silly contract then you end up with Dinwiddie and KP at the same time.

Yes, we fixed one problem by adding the additional ball handler, but it led to another problem which inferior low post defense.

KP might not have lived up to expectations, but he was giving you a solid rim protector which is very important come playoff time.

I'm just not a believer in Powell and yesterday after seeing how DFS and Green both played more aggressive post defense on Sabonis than our 6'11 starting center was capable of doing that makes me worry even more when Jokic, Ayton or Gobert rolls into town.

What's done is done can't go back and change anything but in hindsight everyone on these boards to a certain extent would probably have preferred Dinwiddie to THJ last summer.

Here's to hoping Chriss gets healthy and earns Kidd's trust by playoff time because I have a feeling that Powell is going to get played off the floor again unless the Mavs luck into playing a team that doesn't rely on a legit big.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-06-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #44
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Glad you added some in-depth discussion to my response.
Hopefully they can replace the void at C with Myles Turner this offseason.

I think if they can somehow find a way to move THJ and land Turner they might be in business next year as a true contender.

Seems like he was their original target before both him and THJ each got injured.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #45
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see what that new two-way center brings. I don't even remember his name. And frankly, I don't even know how many games a two-way can play or whatever, but I feel like I wouldn't be upset to see Frank off the roster to free up a spot. He provides some defense and nothing else really. Has looked totally lost lately.

I mean, right now we're playing Bertans at backup center because we are so thin there. Kleber is reaching KP health territory along with Chriss. We can't go to the playoffs with Powell and Bertans as our only reliable bigs.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #46
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
As I mentioned earlier had they just went after Dinwiddie last summer and not THJ to that silly contract then you end up with Dinwiddie and KP at the same time.
Did we have two 2nd round picks to trade for Dinwiddie? Actually it was THREE 2nd round picks because the Wizards needed to get under the cap to make the trade.

And we would have had to do a sign and trade because renouncing Hardaway would not have given us the cap room to sign a significant free agent.

Hindsight is 20-20 and it would have been a great signing in retrospect. But a LOT of NBA teams would redo their free agency if they had 20-20 hindsight
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #47
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Did we have two 2nd round picks to trade for Dinwiddie? Actually it was THREE 2nd round picks because the Wizards needed to get under the cap to make the trade.

And we would have had to do a sign and trade because renouncing Hardaway would not have given us the cap room to sign a significant free agent.

Hindsight is 20-20 and it would have been a great signing in retrospect. But a LOT of NBA teams would redo their free agency if they had 20-20 hindsight
Hindsight is 20/20, and it’s not clear to me that having KP on this team is a good thing. Albatross contract and doesn’t mesh with our best player or style.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #48
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I thought for sure we were cooked after that 5th could call on Powell. What a terrible call: missed it in real time, we challenge and they STILL get it wrong?! Fox lead with his arm and initiated all contact. Same with the Dinwiddie call. He may or may not have grabbed Holmes but it was after he was already being run over. Just terrible officiating. What a gutsy comeback win.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:52 AM   #49
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I thought for sure we were cooked after that 5th could call on Powell. What a terrible call: missed it in real time, we challenge and they STILL get it wrong?! Fox lead with his arm and initiated all contact. Same with the Dinwiddie call. He may or may not have grabbed Holmes but it was after he was already being run over. Just terrible officiating. What a gutsy comeback win.
Some totally bewildering calls

I see why they didn’t overturn it. They missed the foul before Powell’s foul and they can’t go from a non-call to a call, but it’s still crap. NBA needs to revisit challenge rules and allow non-calls to be challenged at the next dead ball. I know it could lead to some strangeness, but it’s crap that refs can completely miss a call that could lead to a null possession and the refs can admit it later in the report but it can’t be handled in the game.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote