Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #41
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to get LA here. Dirk would be amazing off the bench.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #42
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm reading that San Antonio is a possible destination for Aldridge, but their ability to land him hinges on whether or not Timmy and Manu retire... And I've also read that Pop plans to retire if Duncan retires. So just how attractive are the Spurs without Pop/Duncan/Manu? I mean, Leonard and Parker are great players, but there's going to be a ton of question marks surrounding that franchise if their legendary coach steps down.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #43
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
S And I've also read that Pop plans to retire if Duncan retires.
Thats old...he signed last summer a multiyear extension....knowing Duncan wont play several years

Give him Parker/Green/Leonard/LMA/Splitter as core and i dont see why he would retire...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #44
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Thats old...he signed last summer a multiyear extension....knowing Duncan wont play several years

Give him Parker/Green/Leonard/LMA/Splitter as core and i dont see why he would retire...
According to Pop:

Quote:
If anything, Popovich said, he could wind up walking away before Duncan. Popovich signed a five-year contract extension last summer, but admitted that the length was a product of owner Peter Holt's desires more than it was his own.

"It's a five-year contract, but the chances of staying for five years I don't think are very good," Popovich said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...onio/22814677/

Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #45
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

Pop is walking away with Duncan. I think Aldridge will look long and hard at SA and Dallas...... Pretty much Manu and Duncan have to retire or play for the minimum in order for this thing to work in SA. Sounds very un Spurs like to spend $20 million on a free agent signing, a franchise who preached sacrifice to Duncan, Manu, and Parker. Seems weird, I think Lamarcus wants to come home personally

Last edited by #41 Shoot em up; 04-27-2015 at 09:24 PM.
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #46
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

So we have Dirk, Parsons, Devin, Powell and Felton under contract(assuming Ellis opts out).
That's 32 million. Cap holds for 8 other spots? 40 million. Dump Felton or Devin? 36.
Re-sign Tyson for 10. Sign LA for 20. Up to 66. Ellis resigns for 11. 77. Re-sign Aminu using the full MLE. 82. We stay below the apron(85.5). My math and cap understanding may be slightly off but this is a rough guess.

Tyson, LA, Parsons, Aminu, Dirk, Ellis, Devin, Barea, Powell, Koponen.
Needs- Guard that can shoot the 3. Backup Center that can play approx 20 mins.per game
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 PM   #47
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

They could stretch waive Felton I believe. I believe I read on Twitter that the Mavs could add Aldridge and keep One of Monta or Tyson (if they are willing to come at a discount)
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 AM   #48
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 Shoot em up View Post
They could stretch waive Felton I believe. I believe I read on Twitter that the Mavs could add Aldridge and keep One of Monta or Tyson (if they are willing to come at a discount)
True they could stretch waive Felton but if they can get rid of his contract via trade and take nothing back then they maybe could afford Ty, Monta and LaMarcus assuming Ty&Monta both re-sign for somewhere in the 10-11 range. Or if Monta opts in, even better.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:22 AM   #49
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Aldridge will demand a Max Contract. The Mavs can only give away one Max. Contract this offseason and this only when we let all big Free Agents go (Aminu, Chandler etc.) and Ellis deciding not to opt in.

This also assumes that all the Vets sign for the Minimum (Barea, Jefferson, Villanueva etc.).

Roster would have no depth when we give Aldridge the Max and let everyone else go.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'

Last edited by GermanStandard; 04-28-2015 at 02:23 AM.
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #50
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure how "tired" Pop is...but i dont think he walks easily away from a team with LMA/Gasol as Duncan replacement and re-signed Green/Leonard.

Thats another contender for sure...and then comes the gigantic cap spike and they could sign another star player. And pretty sure several players would love to join such a team

Last edited by sefant77; 04-28-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #51
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Got to disagree with you here. Playing with Lillard is definitely more attractive to a star than playing with anyone on the Mavs, including Chandler Parsons.

He's 24, has never missed a game, and proven time after time he is a clutch performer. He hasn't played well against Memphis, but that says more about Memphis. They've been dominating Portland.

All in all however, I'm beginning to convince myself we have a chance to get him. He is from Dallas after all, and we still have Parsons and the rights to Ellis who'll opt out. We should also have a decent pick in a deep draft. Let's hope we hit, it's long overdue.
For Aldridge at this point, it's not necessarily about who he's playing next to but who the team is willing to put next to him. Farthest he's ever gotten is the 2nd round with Portland continually putting flawed teams around him. Spurs are likely attractive due to the system and finding young role players who can produce (though Spurs better served getting Gasol). Mavs attractive due to willingness to spend big and finding min sal vets who outperform their contracts. I don't see any way he goes to LA or NY.

Though this smacks of dry powder 2.0. We let either Ellis or Chandler (or both) walk chasing Aldridge and he ends up re-signing and we put together a team of table scraps...
Old 04-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #52
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Im sorry but just read my post in the Season Outlook Thread or work with the Cap Numbers.

This are the Cap Numbers for next season assuming we sign Chandler and sign Barea, Villanueva and Jefferson for Vet Minimum again. Atleast Barea likely demands a little more after the Playoffs..

Parsons 15,3M $
Dirk 8,3M $
Harris 4M$
Felton 4,5M$
Tyson Chandler 10M$
Powell 800K $
Barea 1,5M $
Jefferson 1,5M$
Villanueva 1,5M$

47,5 M $ / 67,1 M $

Money left to spend

~20M $

There is nothing possible to change this. The Mavs wont trade away Dirk or Parsons.

This is already with Ellis not opting in and Stoudemire and Aminu leaving aswell.

Aldridge will demand close or a full Max Contract which is about the 20 M $ that we could spend in that scenario.

Team Team would look like this

Felton / Barea
Harris / Vet Min
Parsons / Jefferson
Aldridge / Dirk / Powell
Chandler / Vet Min

This would be a Team seriously competing for a lottery pick in 2016

If Aldridge agrees to a similiar Contract that he has in Portland right now (16 a year) we would have 4-5 M left to resign Aminu who will never play for his 1,1M he earns right now.

With Aminu the Team would be much better but the Rotation on the Guard Positions would be horrible and leading nowhere.

There is no way we can sign Aldridge while not giving up Ellis or Chandler, Aminu and/or Stoudemire.

The most realistic scenario is to keep this Team as it is and replace some of the rotational Players that want to leave or need to leave.

Baller from the G'

Last edited by GermanStandard; 04-28-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #53
sefant77
Guru

You forgot several cap holds and our draft pick eating up cap.

To reach 20m we would need to dump Felton with cash and a 2nd i guess
Old 04-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #54
GermanStandard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
You forgot several cap holds and our draft pick eating up cap.

To reach 20m we would need to dump Felton with cash and a 2nd i guess
Wouldnt be too bad to dump Felton lol

Baller from the G'
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #55
butchmcrae

butchmcrae will become famous soon enoughbutchmcrae will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 Shoot em up View Post
Pop is walking away with Duncan. I think Aldridge will look long and hard at SA and Dallas...... Pretty much Manu and Duncan have to retire or play for the minimum in order for this thing to work in SA. Sounds very un Spurs like to spend $20 million on a free agent signing, a franchise who preached sacrifice to Duncan, Manu, and Parker. Seems weird, I think Lamarcus wants to come home personally
Aldridge will liking be looking hard at Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. All three teams will be able to make enough room to offer him a max or near max contract.
butchmcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #56
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchmcrae View Post
Aldridge will liking be looking hard at Dallas, San Antonio and Houston. All three teams will be able to make enough room to offer him a max or near max contract.
Houston is damn near maxed-out next season with Howard/Harden/Ariza alone taking up $46m of a $67m cap -- they're not in the LMA race at all.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-28-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #57
butchmcrae

butchmcrae will become famous soon enoughbutchmcrae will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Houston is damn near maxed-out next season with Howard/Harden/Ariza alone taking up $46m of a $67m cap -- they're not in the LMA race at all.
You are wrong about that. Houston does have about $46MM tied up in Harden/Howard/Ariza but the rest of the players on their roster are either expiring or on rookie level deals. All they really have to do is get rid of Ariza to make the room. Do you think the Blazers would turn down a package with some combination of Pelicans pick/DMo/Capela/Jones if they know Aldridge is walking? Would a team take Ariza/DMo/Pelicans pick to let the Rockets dump Ariza?

Go take a listen to the Bill Don't Lie podcast with Simmons and Lowe from this Monday. They talk about Houston as players for LMA and they discuss how Houston can get the space.

Last edited by butchmcrae; 04-28-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #58
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you think the Blazers would turn down a package with some combination of Pelicans pick/DMo/Capela/Jones if they know Aldridge is walking?
Houston fans are so clueless.

The team doesn't decide whether a player is sign and traded only the player. And since there is no advantage to sign and trade for the player anymore (the fifth year is for the original team only) it probably won't happen very often anymore.

You got Howard without a sign and trade - forget why?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #59
butchmcrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Houston fans are so clueless.

The team doesn't decide whether a player is sign and traded only the player. And since there is no advantage to sign and trade for the player anymore (the fifth year is for the original team only) it probably won't happen very often anymore.

You got Howard without a sign and trade - forget why?
So because I listened to a podcast that said the Rockets would be in the LMA pursuit I am a Rockets fan? Ok.

And you are the clueless one. Sign and trades happen all the time. We were in discussion for a sign and trade for Parsons after the Rockets agreed not to match. Isaiah Thomas, Trevor Ariza, Thabo Sefalosha, and Kris Humphries were all acquired through sign and trade last off-season. Sign and trades happen with teams when players want to leave and the team losing the player can get something in return while making the salary numbers work better for the team getting the player. If the Rockets need to dump salary or players the Blazers would try to get DMo, Jones or a pick if they are losing LMA regardless. Third party teams could also get involved to make the numbers work. Educate yourself before you call someone out.

Last edited by butchmcrae; 04-28-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #60
Underdog

Quote:
So because I listened to a podcast that said the Rockets would be in the LMA pursuit I am a Rockets fan? Ok.

And you are the clueless one. Sign and trades happen all the time. We were in discussion for a sign and trade for Parsons after the Rockets agreed not to match. The Rockets actually signed and traded for Ariza when they didn't get Parsons. Sign and trades happen with teams when players want to leave and the team losing the player can get something in return while making the salary numbers work better for the team getting the player. If the Rockets need to dump salary or players the Blazers would try to get DMo, Jones or a pick if they are losing LMA regardless. Third party teams could also get involved to make the numbers work. Educate yourself before you call someone out.
Neither of those players got max deals, so the 5th year is irrelevant in their cases... What MFFL is saying is that max players have little motivation to do a sign and trade without that 5th year, so you're not going to see it for those guys anymore. Aldridge has absolutely nothing to gain from it.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #61
butchmcrae

Quote:
Neither of those players got max deals, so the 5th year is irrelevant in their cases... What MFFL is saying is that max players have little motivation to do a sign and trade without that 5th year, so you're not going to see it for those guys anymore. Aldridge has absolutely nothing to gain from it.
If a sign and trade will allow a team to free up cap space to get to his max number he most definitely has something to gain from it. MFFL apparently doesn't understand the purpose of a sign and trade in that situation.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #62
Underdog

Quote:
If a sign and trade will allow a team to free up cap space to get to his max number he most definitely has something to gain from it. MFFL apparently doesn't understand the purpose of a sign and trade in that situation.
But he still loses that 5th year, which is crucial to a big man who's about to turn 30. This is his last payday, and you're asking him to leave $20m+ on the table? Good luck with that...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-28-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #63
butchmcrae

Quote:
But he still loses that 5th year, which is crucial to a big man who's about to turn 30. This is his last payday, and you're asking him to leave $20m+ on the table? Good luck with that...
I agree. But the talk between you, MFFL and myself was about who would be the players in trying to lure him away from Portland and none of the Texas teams can offer him that 5th year. My point was that the Spurs likely won't be the only Texas team we have to battle with.

But since we are at the 5th year we might as well talk about it. I think this is a year where the 5th year is less important than it ever has been. With the cap increase coming soon LMA would be wise to sign a two year LeBron style deal even if he does decide to stay in Portland. The salary percentage increase he can get by opting out after next year will likely makeup for a lost 5th year.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #64
Underdog

Quote:
I agree. But the talk between you, MFFL and myself was about who would be the players in trying to lure him away from Portland and none of the Texas teams can offer him that 5th year. My point was that the Spurs likely won't be the only Texas team we have to battle with.

But since we are at the 5th year we might as well talk about it. I think this is a year where the 5th year is less important than it ever has been. With the cap increase coming soon LMA would be wise to sign a two year LeBron style deal even if he does decide to stay in Portland. The salary percentage increase he can get by opting out after next year will likely makeup for a lost 5th year.
The Mavericks and Spurs can absolutely offer that 5th year because neither team has to work out a sign and trade to get Aldridge. They have cap space.

And I agree that short-term deal is definitely a possibility for any team who signs LMA, but the chance of injury makes it a risky proposition on his end.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-28-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #65
butchmcrae

Quote:
The Mavericks and Spurs can absolutely offer that 5th year because neither team has to work out a sign and trade to get Aldridge. They have cap space.

And I agree that short-term deal is definitely a possibility for any team who signs LMA, but the chance of injury makes it a risky proposition on his end.
That's not how the CBA works. Only the Blazers can offer LMA the 5th year. If he goes anywhere else he can only sign for four years.

Last edited by butchmcrae; 04-28-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #66
Underdog

Quote:
That's not how the CBA works. Only the Blazers can offer LMA the 5th year. If he goes anywhere else he can only sign for four years.
You're right. So no 5th year in any case... Unless he signs a short-term deal and re-signs with the same team. Then he could essentially get max contract over 6 or 7 years. You'd still need cap space to sign him though, which still gives Dallas and San Antonio the edge over Houston.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #67
butchmcrae

Quote:
You're right. So no 5th year in any case... Unless he signs a short-term deal and re-signs with the same team. Then he could essentially get max contract over 6 or 7 years. You'd still need cap space to sign him though, which still gives Dallas and San Antonio the edge over Houston.
That's wishful thinking when the Rockets can easily get that cap space. If we want LMA we will only get him if he actually chooses us over the Spurs and the Rockets. Our edge will be Cuban and returning home. The cap space will do almost nothing for us.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #68
Underdog

Quote:
That's wishful thinking when the Rockets can easily get that cap space. If we want LMA we will only get him if he actually chooses us over the Spurs and the Rockets. Our edge will be Cuban and returning home. The cap space will do almost nothing for us.
It's wishful thinking to believe that Houston has an easier chance of signing any max player over Dallas or San Antonio when they have twice as much work to clear the same amount of cap space that both teams already have.

Also, what's all this "we" talk? I thought you were in denial about being a Rockets fan...

Quote:

Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #69
butchmcrae

Quote:
It's wishful thinking to believe that Houston has an easier chance of signing any max player over Dallas or San Antonio when they have twice as much work to clear the same amount of cap space that both teams already have.

Also, what's all this "we" talk? I thought you were in denial about being a Rockets fan...
You are overstating the difficulty of shedding cap space. If they trade Ariza they have that cap space. They can throw in DMo and picks and get that done fairly easily. I'd bet a lot of money they could open up enough space for a max contract if LMA wanted to come.

What in the hell are you talking about? We=Mavericks. I said we and then said Spurs and Rockets.

Last edited by butchmcrae; 04-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #70
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So because I listened to a podcast that said the Rockets would be in the LMA pursuit I am a Rockets fan?
OK maybe you're not a Rockets fan and from later conversations it sounds like you understand the CBA.

But the podcast clearly doesn't know the new CBA or they wouldn't have mentioned a sign and trade. The rules have changed.

And Trading Ariza is not as easy as it sounds. The few teams that want him can't afford to take him straight up and the teams that can afford him are going to want a bigger tip
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #71
butchmcrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
OK maybe you're not a Rockets fan and from later conversations it sounds like you understand the CBA.

But the podcast clearly doesn't know the new CBA or they wouldn't have mentioned a sign and trade. The rules have changed.

And Trading Ariza is not as easy as it sounds. The few teams that want him can't afford to take him straight up and the teams that can afford him are going to want a bigger tip
I think you are still misunderstanding the purpose of the sign and trade. I believe you think it's pointless because unlike the last CBA, a player can no longer get the big contract from their original team and then be immediately traded to the team they want to go to. However, the sign and trade still holds value for salary matching purpose and other exceptions. A sign and trade could allow the Blazers to actually get something for LMA when he leaves while also allowing the team getting him to open up cap space to get to his four year max salary number. For example, the Rockets send Ariza and picks to one team, send DMo and Jones to the Blazers, and the Rockets get LMA. The Rockets create enough cap space to sign LMA to a full max, the Blazers get two young PFs, and a third team gets picks and Ariza. That's just a completely hypothetical example of how a sign and trade for LMA would work and is the type of situation Lowe and Simmons were talking about.

Maybe I am underestimating the difficulty in dumping Ariza but I still see him as a useful player and throwing in some combination of DMo, Jones, Capela and a pick is something I think a team like the 6ers would be all over. They would just ship Ariza out later to a contender.

Last edited by butchmcrae; 04-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #72
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

The only way Houston has a shot at him is if they deplete their depth. They would lose 4-6 of... Beverly, Brewer, Terry, Ariza, Dmo, Jones, Beverly, Smith, Papa, and Mcdaniels. Ariza 100% would need to be gone, goodbye best perimeter defender along with some type of asset to take him. Making Brewer a high-priority. I have no idea if he is opting in or out but that's a big factor. One of Jones or Dmo would be gone I'd bet. Smith and brewer have both likely earned some good contract offers. Traded for a young KJ, I'm sure some team will offer something more than the minimum to take a look at him, although he isn't playing right now. Papa has a 4m team option and isn't playing currently. Someone will offer Beverly something, they can go over to keep him but depending on other deals could hinder future flexibility with regards to 2016.

Point is they have a lot of depth right now and it's why they survived the injuries this year. If they go after LMA they are losing key contributors to get a 3rd star and deplete their bench. I don't see him choosing Houston but if he did I wouldn't be scared with what all they would be losing. Dwight likely loses touches as the 3rd star and good luck keeping him engaged without touches. Their style of play would be slowed down with 2 post players. They lose defense losing Ariza and possibly Beverly. Without plus defenders surrounding him does Harden still look average on defense or does he revert to the single worst defender in the NBA? All valid concerns IMO.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #73
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
You are overstating the difficulty of shedding cap space. If they trade Ariza they have that cap space. They can throw in DMo and picks and get that done fairly easily. I'd bet a lot of money they could open up enough space for a max contract if LMA wanted to come.

What in the hell are you talking about? We=Mavericks. I said we and then said Spurs and Rockets.
I agree they could easily open up cap space. Quality posts, which is more important than what team you root for. Welcome.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #74
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default Marc Stein continuing to get Dallas fans hopes up

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...azers-Aldridge

Quote:
1. Will LaMa‎rcus Aldridge's sub-par series in any way dissuade teams from coming after him in free agency?

Good one.

There's no denying Aldridge played well below his usual standards against the Grizzlies, shooting just 33 percent from the floor and, worse yet, looking less than fully engaged at times ... particularly when Aldridge was the lone Blazer who accepted the team's offer to all players to fly home on their own after a Game 2 loss in Memphis or wait for the next day's charter.

But ... seriously.

The line is long and growing amid the rising whispers in recent weeks that Aldridge is far more gettable than we've been led for months to believe.

Early in the season, when the tale of his desire to go down as the best Blazer ever was being cited routinely, rival teams essentially thought they had no shot at Aldridge. But that's an outdated stance. Even though Portland is the only team in the race with the right to put a five-year offer on the table, it's no stretch to suggest that more league insiders expect Aldridge to bolt in free agency compared to the number expecting him to stay.

It's a turning tide that Aldridge himself ‎didn't do much to stem in a recent interview with my ESPN colleague Chris Broussard, who reported that the 29-year-old -- when asked if Portland was still the No. 1 destination on his board -- responded with a coy "we'll see."

2. So who are the leading contenders to steal Aldridge away at this early juncture?

You can't say loudly enough that it is early in the process.

Very ‎early.

We've only just made it to May, leaving two months for climates to change.

But the consistent word on the personnel grapevine at the minute informs us that San Antonio and Dallas not only both believe they have a real shot at signing him but are also legitimately in Aldridge's thoughts.
Does Aldridge, even accounting for his Dallas upbringing, really want to go home to North Texas or down to South Texas, where he'd essentially be casting himself as the heir apparent to either Dirk Nowitzki or Tim Duncan? Wouldn't he be putting himself in some awfully challenging circumstances to try to live up to the legacies of either of those certifiable legends?

Answer: We're hearing Aldridge connected to both of those teams so frequently that you can only conclude that neither idea scares him.

Yet sources insist -- at, yes, this early juncture -- that San Antonio sits near or at the top of Aldridge's list ... unless the Cleveland Cavaliers were to lose Kevin Love and then somehow manufacture a way to sign-and-trade for him.

The Knicks and Lakers, of course, also intend to enter the bidding. And there will surely be others.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #75
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

One thing I will say as I have been a critic in the past about LMA's efficiency is his efficiency was vastly improving before stotts came on board

(out of qualified pf's)

2008-2009: TS 52.9% (41 of 66)
2009-2010: TS 53.5%(35 of 66)
2010-2011: TS 54.9% (33 of 79)
2011-2012: TS 56% (14 of 77)

So a lot of his efficiency the last 3 years can be attributed to scheme
Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #76
mavs777
Diamond Member

Sorry didn't see this thread
Old 05-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #77
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Sorry didn't see this thread
No worries, that's why I quietly combined them...

Although I don't know how much Stein is "getting Dallas fans hopes up" -- he lists San Antonio as the frontrunner.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #78
xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the roughxtruroyaltyx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think you are still misunderstanding the purpose of the sign and trade. I believe you think it's pointless because unlike the last CBA, a player can no longer get the big contract from their original team and then be immediately traded to the team they want to go to. However, the sign and trade still holds value for salary matching purpose and other exceptions. A sign and trade could allow the Blazers to actually get something for LMA when he leaves while also allowing the team getting him to open up cap space to get to his four year max salary number. For example, the Rockets send Ariza and picks to one team, send DMo and Jones to the Blazers, and the Rockets get LMA. The Rockets create enough cap space to sign LMA to a full max, the Blazers get two young PFs, and a third team gets picks and Ariza. That's just a completely hypothetical example of how a sign and trade for LMA would work and is the type of situation Lowe and Simmons were talking about.

Maybe I am underestimating the difficulty in dumping Ariza but I still see him as a useful player and throwing in some combination of DMo, Jones, Capela and a pick is something I think a team like the 6ers would be all over. They would just ship Ariza out later to a contender.
Yep you are correct.

Houston is definitely a possibility.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #79
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Does anyone here really think Pop retires if they can bring in LA? I think he would give it a shot.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #80
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

If Zach Lowe thinks Houston is a possibility, then it is a possibility.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote