Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #1
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
A couple of counterpoints...

Brunson never gave the Mavs a shot at offering that much. At that point, they had already let the early extension deadline pass and FA was the play. Typically, the incumbent team get a chance to match or counteroffer a higher deal. By all accounts, this never happened.

Kyrie will likely sign something around 5 years and $250M. Again, media driven narratives that Kyrie is the issue when we have heard quite the opposite from teammates, including multiple who have flat said they bought into it and he's nothing like the way he's portrayed to the public.
He did give them a shot. Cuban flat out lied this week and said he didnt know Brunson's number, which was reported before FA began, hence the tampering lol.

So along with the lie, he added another lie if he knew the Knicks number he wouldve paid it in a heartbeat. Implying the signing was possible. Dudes story changes throughout the last 10 months.

And if Kyrie's max if 5/275, why would you come in at 5/250? You risk him being unhappy when youre right there at the max already.

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-10-2023 at 03:18 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:28 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
He did give them a shot. Cuban flat out lied this week and said he didnt know Brunson's number, which was reported before FA began, hence the tampering lol.

So along with the lie, he added another lie if he knew the Knicks number he wouldve paid it in a heartbeat. Implying the signing was possible. Dudes story changes throughout the last 10 months.

And if Kyrie's max if 5/275, why would you come in at 5/250? You risk him being unhappy when youre right there at the max already.
At this point I don't know how any fan can believe or trust cuban

I just get the feeling he simply didn't want to pay JB market value

For years cuban has been preaching the idea of getting something for nothing

I think he's stuck in that mode

The days of cuban going for it all might be over.

I think he's more likely to bargain shop to try and surround Luka with pieces that he thinks might just hit one day.

As for his kyrie talk I'll wait to see if he puts his money where his mouth is.....
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #3
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
At this point I don't know how any fan can believe or trust cuban

I just get the feeling he simply didn't want to pay JB market value

For years cuban has been preaching the idea of getting something for nothing

I think he's stuck in that mode

The days of cuban going for it all might be over.

I think he's more likely to bargain shop to try and surround Luka with pieces that he thinks might just hit one day.

As for his kyrie talk I'll wait to see if he puts his money where his mouth is.....
I can't understand for the life of me why y'all take Daddy Brunson's word and run with it as the end all truth. Oh, but Tim MacMahon said the same...oof.

Don't mistake me for defending the FO, either. This is squarely on their shoulders and their problem to fix. Dwelling on he said she said shit with Brunson is beyond tiring at this point. They fucked it up, no on is defending them on it. But to state, as truth, that Brunson would have signed here if given the opportunity is straight garbage. He never gave them the chance. I don't care for what reason or the other, Mavs never got the meeting after Knicks to counter. Pretty sure everyone has stated that now.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:34 PM   #4
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can't understand for the life of me why y'all take Daddy Brunson's word and run with it as the end all truth. Oh, but Tim MacMahon said the same...oof.

Don't mistake me for defending the FO, either. This is squarely on their shoulders and their problem to fix. Dwelling on he said she said shit with Brunson is beyond tiring at this point. They fucked it up, no on is defending them on it. But to state, as truth, that Brunson would have signed here if given the opportunity is straight garbage. He never gave them the chance. I don't care for what reason or the other, Mavs never got the meeting after Knicks to counter. Pretty sure everyone has stated that now.
Theres no reason to meet if youre not going to match the knicks number. mavs line was fvv money, that was reported. the knicks number was also reported. Its very easy to relay a message that youre willing to pay market value prior to a meeting.

Once it was clear the mavs werent matching, theres no reason to meet. Cuban has changed his story multiple times, which is why I dont believe him.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #5
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Theres no reason to meet if youre not going to match the knicks number. mavs line was fvv money, that was reported. the knicks number was also reported. Its very easy to relay a message that youre willing to pay market value prior to a meeting.

Once it was clear the mavs werent matching, theres no reason to meet. Cuban has changed his story multiple times, which is why I dont believe him.
Reported where? Where did the Mavs ever draw a line in the sand? It was a basic FA timeline until Brunson shut everything down. Again, the incumbent team said we are at X, you're free to test the market. That's not an ultimatum, take it or leave it. Generally, it's in the player's best interest to at least go back to the team who brought you in to see if there's a counter even higher than the Knicks offer to bump up the end dollars.

Everything that Brunson and his camp did was tilted towards the Knicks. And that's fine! He wanted to be there.

Happy to be proven wrong if the Mavs publicly stated their max offer. I just don't recall that at all.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:34 PM   #6
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Reported where? Where did the Mavs ever draw a line in the sand? It was a basic FA timeline until Brunson shut everything down. Again, the incumbent team said we are at X, you're free to test the market. That's not an ultimatum, take it or leave it. Generally, it's in the player's best interest to at least go back to the team who brought you in to see if there's a counter even higher than the Knicks offer to bump up the end dollars.

Everything that Brunson and his camp did was tilted towards the Knicks. And that's fine! He wanted to be there.

Happy to be proven wrong if the Mavs publicly stated their max offer. I just don't recall that at all.
McMahon and Marks were reporting from sources multiple times the Mavs org viewed Brunson at FVV money 5/105, this was before and after Brunson signed with New York. McMahon even brought it up again last week on the hoop collective.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/st...P-fUxROA9UvgJA

Now I know you?re going to disregard this because Mavs didn?t ?publicly state?, we that?s not something teams do when in negotiations. It comes out through sources just like the Wood fiasco.

I?m glad he?s in New York doing well away from this clown car front office. But he could?ve been resigned if Cuban ?we can pay more than any team? wanted to match the Knicks number.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:16 PM   #7
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
McMahon and Marks were reporting from sources multiple times the Mavs org viewed Brunson at FVV money 5/105, this was before and after Brunson signed with New York. McMahon even brought it up again last week on the hoop collective.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/st...P-fUxROA9UvgJA

Now I know you?re going to disregard this because Mavs didn?t ?publicly state?, we that?s not something teams do when in negotiations. It comes out through sources just like the Wood fiasco.

I?m glad he?s in New York doing well away from this clown car front office. But he could?ve been resigned if Cuban ?we can pay more than any team? wanted to match the Knicks number.
I'm be honest I thought the best level of play out of JB would be the level we saw of him in the playoffs last year.

But this dude has legitimately turned himself into a all star player

It's kind of comical to because the mavs spent years wanting another legit all star to play with Luka and who would have thought all that time JB would turn into that guy.

The thing that really impresses me about JB is the dude very rarely takes bad shots. He always seems to have control of the game and he's a surprisingly good team leader.

But then again the dude was a terrific leader at Villanova so I guess that shouldn't be surprising that he became that in the NBA.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-15-2023 at 07:18 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:45 AM   #8
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

The Mavs screwed it up on draft day 2018. They could have offered him the normal 3 year 2nd round deal with restricted 4th year. Instead they did the 4 year unrestricted deal for cuteness. This wouldn't have been a thing had they gave him the proper deal in the first place. But there are plenty of other FO mistakes to worry about at this point, right?
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #9
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
The Mavs screwed it up on draft day 2018. They could have offered him the normal 3 year 2nd round deal with restricted 4th year. Instead they did the 4 year unrestricted deal for cuteness. This wouldn't have been a thing had they gave him the proper deal in the first place. But there are plenty of other FO mistakes to worry about at this point, right?
Absolutely right and I think one of the more underrated things that got Donnie fired. In what world does it make sense to do a less than 4 year deal? It's not like those 2nd round guys cripple the cap.

One's the Mavs FO can control (to a degree) now? Yes, and that is what I hope will be the focus here as we turn to the draft and/or FA.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:39 AM   #10
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:

Everyone knew the damn number, that's not at all what I'm saying. Mavs let him get to FA, right or wrong. Then Brunson never gave the Mavs the opportunity to match or present an offer. He was Knicks the whole time. Believe who you want man, I'm over this shit.

You may be right on Kyrie. I simply don't care what it takes, re-sign him or get assets back in a sign and trade. Can't lose another asset for nothing.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone knew the damn number, that's not at all what I'm saying. Mavs let him get to FA, right or wrong. Then Brunson never gave the Mavs the opportunity to match or present an offer. He was Knicks the whole time. Believe who you want man, I'm over this shit.

You may be right on Kyrie. I simply don't care what it takes, re-sign him or get assets back in a sign and trade. Can't lose another asset for nothing.
Agreed on JB. And Im Over it as well. If I had my way, the only time he gets brought up is when it's on a list of every other fuck up since Nash.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:49 PM   #12
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Agreed on JB. And Im Over it as well. If I had my way, the only time he gets brought up is when it's on a list of every other fuck up since Nash.
Oh, I can understand that for as long as Cuban is the owner. Just hoping it doesn't grow...