Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #801
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I mean it might have been the one deal we could have realistically gotten done, unlike the deals most people complain about. It was totally there for the taking.

I see what the Mavs were thinking, though. They just invested max money and two FRPs for KP only months before. Why give big money along with picks for another guy who plays the same position? We had many other needs and our cap space was shot.

My disappointment with Wood is more about KP being underwhelming. He's starting to play better, but it's more about KP than Wood.
who knows. Pistons were damn high on Stewart and in this situation getting back #16 from Houston or #18 from us is a significant difference if you really want to make sure you get your guy.

Also during the draft we were busy trying hard to trade up for Haliburton. Too bad it didnt work out.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #802
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever it's worth, I was listening to Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo just now talk about the Oladipo trade in real-time as it was announced, and they both mentioned were both surprised that Houston even got that much for Oladipo, because there was basically zero market for him- meaning they were surprised Miami gave anything for him because they were guaranteed to get him in the offseason for nothing. They both said that all the executives they knew had told them that they weren't interested in Oladipo because everyone knew he was just going to go to Miami.

The Mavericks were never mentioned as potential suitors for him.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #803
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
For whatever it's worth, I was listening to Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo just now talk about the Oladipo trade in real-time as it was announced, and they both mentioned were both surprised that Houston even got that much for Oladipo, because there was basically zero market for him- meaning they were surprised Miami gave anything for him because they were guaranteed to get him in the offseason for nothing. They both said that all the executives they knew had told them that they weren't interested in Oladipo because everyone knew he was just going to go to Miami.

There's a podcast on here about the trades (really good open conversations)

These guys are really un-bias and you get to here arguments from both sides in regards to how the Mavs have faired these past two off seasons and what they feel about the team this year and the direction.

Some of the guess callers have some great takes on player development and things Cuban say and then what they do....

They even talk about how the Mavs should stop worrying about player fit and go for talent instead.

I can assure you will understand why a few us our frustrated and they speak of it in great detail.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/3...leans-pelicans

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:26 PM   #804
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

These guys are really un-bias and you get to here arguments from both sides in regards to how the Mavs have faired these past two off seasons and what they feel about the team this year and the direction.

Some of the guess callers have some great takes on player development and things Cuban say and then what they do....

They even talk about how the Mavs should stop worrying about player fit and go for talent instead.

I can assure you will understand why a few us our frustrated and they speak of it in great detail.

I'll take your word for it. I honestly just don't care because I don't like Oladipo's game. So I'm perfectly fine not giving up the precious few assets we have for what is guaranteed to only be a rental.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #805
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I guess it does give Miami a trial run with Oladipo before throwing big money at him. Im glad the Mavs didn’t trade for him.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:46 PM   #806
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean it might have been the one deal we could have realistically gotten done, unlike the deals most people complain about. It was totally there for the taking.

I see what the Mavs were thinking, though. They just invested max money and two FRPs for KP only months before. Why give big money along with picks for another guy who plays the same position? We had many other needs and our cap space was shot.

My disappointment with Wood is more about KP being underwhelming. He's starting to play better, but it's more about KP than Wood.
Talent before fit. Unless all you need is 1 more piece or 2 to contend, which we just aren't there yet. I think they didn't have Wood scouted properly.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:48 PM   #807
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But what several of these guys are saying is they are upset with free agency failures and draft and that we lack trade assets, which we do lack. Nearly everyone here fully acknowledges the issue with free agency. We have a lack of assets because of free agency failures plus the 2 big trades for luka and kp. But none of that translates to the trade deadline that just passed based on the assets on hand.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:51 PM   #808
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I would have liked to see the Mavs scoop up Daniel Theis when the Celtics were giving him away to get under the cap

Not a huge fan of JJ but it is reasonably good asset management. We got someone that might be useful at minimal cost and our cap is still clear for next offseason
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:06 PM   #809
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Idiotic take
So you think we could not have made a better offer to Orlando? How is my take "idiotic"?
Old 03-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #810
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Can someone spin the JJ trade into a better positive than I see it as right now? I'm underwhelmed. 13m next year at 38, even if you take away the age, I'd almost rather have gambled on hypnotizing a player to come here in free agency.

I worried that they would turn Johnsons expiring and THJ expiring into... THJs new contract.
They got a guy who is a career 42% 3-Pt shooter and he steps into that role of Curry from last year that they have been lacking this year based on all the reports I've read.

They also said he's a good locker room leader and provides tons of playoff experience for what ever that means.

I don't know maybe he brings that same type of playoff edge that Rondo seems to provide for other teams.

That's the best I can do

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #811
Dallas41
Diamond Member

In other news the Lakers are still dropping

Hopefully the Mavs can replace them in the top 6 by season end.

I don't trust this team in the play in brackets because any thing can go wrong.

Which is why I hate this new playoff formula
Old 03-26-2021, 03:14 AM   #812
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
So you think we could not have made a better offer to Orlando? How is my take "idiotic"?
Yes and this is allready discussed in the other thread
Old 03-26-2021, 03:50 AM   #813
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn’t Miami also get Oladipo’s Bird Rights? So they can go over the cap to re-sign him, thus preserving cap space to sign another FA, or am I wrong about this?

That was one of the virtues of the James Johnson contract, right? Now even if we offload Powell we won’t have enough to keep J-Rich&THJ and pursue John Collins for instance. Part of the advantage of having large expiring contracts is that you can trade them with other assets for a large contract and then re-sign your own Free Agents. That said, it’s likely they tried to swing a deal but didn’t have a match or the assets they were willing to part with. Seems like another possible missed opportunity, but I understand not going “all in” on Aaron Gordon. He would’ve been a huge upgrade but preserving our assets for a bigger deal is probably the best route. Just worried with Luka’s extension coming up we will have a lot less wiggle room soon.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #814
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Doesn’t Miami also get Oladipo’s Bird Rights? So they can go over the cap to re-sign him, thus preserving cap space to sign another FA, or am I wrong about this?

That was one of the virtues of the James Johnson contract, right? Now even if we offload Powell we won’t have enough to keep J-Rich&THJ and pursue John Collins for instance. Part of the advantage of having large expiring contracts is that you can trade them with other assets for a large contract and then re-sign your own Free Agents. That said, it’s likely they tried to swing a deal but didn’t have a match or the assets they were willing to part with. Seems like another possible missed opportunity, but I understand not going “all in” on Aaron Gordon. He would’ve been a huge upgrade but preserving our assets for a bigger deal is probably the best route. Just worried with Luka’s extension coming up we will have a lot less wiggle room soon.
EL said Mavs have Bird rights on JJ.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:54 AM   #815
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In other news the Lakers are still dropping

Hopefully the Mavs can replace them in the top 6 by season end.

I don't trust this team in the play in brackets because any thing can go wrong.

Which is why I hate this new playoff formula
Its really stupid. I can understand a play in for the 8/9 seed IF the 9 seed is within 1 game.

But this includes the 7-10 seed too? And theres no cap on how different their records are? Stupid.

And just to add how fn dumb this is: Play in tournament is May 18-21. Playoffs start May 22. FOH having to defend your low seed then turn around and play the 1 or 2 seed in the conference.

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-26-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #816
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Its really stupid. I can understand a play in for the 8/9 seed IF the 9 seed is within 1 game.

But this includes the 7-10 seed too? And theres no cap on how different their records are? Stupid.

And just to add how fn dumb this is: Play in tournament is May 18-21. Playoffs start May 22. FOH having to defend your low seed then turn around and play the 1 or 2 seed in the conference.

7-10, but the 7 and 8 are guaranteed a playoff spot unless we lose against both the 8 seed AND against the 9/10 seed. Honestly, though, if we can't win one of those two, we shouldn't be in the playoffs to begin with. I don't see it happening, though: this team is inconsistent, but they don't lose when Rick can make adjustments and prepare.

Worst case scenario that I think is plausible is that we lose against the 8 seed and then win the second game, but have to start the playoffs on a B2B. Second worst is that we slaughter the first game and go into the playoffs slightly less rested.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-26-2021 at 11:28 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #817
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yep this is why I don't like the idea of them resting guys.

They need to be taking this thing seriously because what if Memphis gets Jackson back he makes them stronger up front with Valacionus

What if Golden St gets hot again I wouldn't count them out from winning 1 game vs Dallas

Hell even Sacramento scares me for just one game with that dude Holmes playing light outs now and Fox, Heild and Haliburton on the perimeter.

Dallas needs that 6th seed because if they screw around and have to play in that tournament it's a good chance something could go wrong especially with the matchups presented out west.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-26-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #818
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It is asinine.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #819
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

That's a interesting take to me because in past years teams had no issue trading for guys like Paul George. Remember everyone knew Paul George was going to LA and everyone knew Kawhi was going to LA...yet, teams still lined up to get them. Same thing for Anthony Davis I think Boston put a bid in on him. Granted, Dipo is not of their caliber but still I'm shocked to hear that people didn't want to trade for him because they knew he was going to Miami.

So hell what does that say about future deals? Seems like this can be a mess for the future.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #820
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
That's a interesting take to me because in past years teams had no issue trading for guys like Paul George. Remember everyone knew Paul George was going to LA and everyone knew Kawhi was going to LA...yet, teams still lined up to get them. Same thing for Anthony Davis I think Boston put a bid in on him. Granted, Dipo is not of their caliber but still I'm shocked to hear that people didn't want to trade for him because they knew he was going to Miami.

So hell what does that say about future deals? Seems like this can be a mess for the future.
As you pointed out, the difference is, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, and Anthony Davis were superstars (or borderline superstars in George's case. He was third in MVP voting his last season in OKC ) and Oladipo is... not. The Lakers and Raptors became instant title contenders with those moves. The Raptors and Lakers did indeed win the championship because of it. The Raptors knew that was a possibility, so they took that risk even though they knew it was probably a rental. Boston very well might have too if they had gotten AD. Nobody is gonna be a title contender by getting Oladipo.

Seriously, has anyone actually watched Oladipo this year? He's not that good. I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, but it makes sense that nobody is giving up real assets for a rental.

Ask yourself, if we outbid Miami with Brunson, Johnson's expiring deal and 2nd round picks or whatever else it would have taken, what does like two months of Oladipo actually get us? We're not winning the title. Hell I doubt he even gets out of the first round. So yeah, I'm not upset that the Mavs didn't use the ridiculously limited assets they have on him.

The REAL loser here is Houston. They traded Lavert for Oladipo, and ended up trading Oladipo for a bag of chips. They should have just kept Lavert.

EDIT: Another thing I just thought of, it might possibly also be BECAUSE those players you mentioned ultimately did leave that people are more reluctant now to trade for a guy who makes it clear he's leaving. I'm sure the Raptors, Thunder, and initially the Celtics respectively all thought they had a good chance of convincing their guys to stay. But then Kawhi and George DID leave and the Celtics deal fell through. And in Kawhi's case, even winning the championship wasn't enough to keep him. So if some teams were willing to take that risk a couple of years ago, they might be less willing now.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-27-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #821
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As you pointed out, the difference is, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, and Anthony Davis were superstars (or borderline superstars in George's case. He was third in MVP voting his last season in OKC ) and Oladipo is... not. The Lakers and Raptors became instant title contenders with those moves. The Raptors and Lakers did indeed win the championship because of it. The Raptors knew that was a possibility, so they took that risk even though they knew it was probably a rental. Boston very well might have too if they had gotten AD. Nobody is gonna be a title contender by getting Oladipo.

Seriously, has anyone actually watched Oladipo this year? He's not that good. I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, but it makes sense that nobody is giving up real assets for a rental.

Ask yourself, if we outbid Miami with Brunson, Johnson's expiring deal and 2nd round picks or whatever else it would have taken, what does like two months of Oladipo actually get us? We're not winning the title. Hell I doubt he even gets out of the first round. So yeah, I'm not upset that the Mavs didn't use the ridiculously limited assets they have on him.

The REAL loser here is Houston. They traded Lavert for Oladipo, and ended up getting Oladipo for a bag of chips. They should have just kept Lavert.

EDIT: Another thing I just thought of, it might possibly also be BECAUSE those players you mentioned ultimately did leave that people are more reluctant now to trade for a guy who makes it clear he's leaving. I'm sure the Raptors, Thunder, and initially the Celtics respectively all thought they had a good chance of convincing their guys to stay. But then Kawhi and George DID leave and the Celtics deal fell through. And in Kawhi's case, even winning the championship wasn't enough to keep him. So if some teams were willing to take that risk a couple of years ago, they might be less willing now.
Must spread rep
Old 03-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #822
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Magic just waived Jeff Teague. Teague shooting 46% from 3pt. Could be another ball handler if the Mavs have any interest.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania·44m
The Orlando Magic have waived guard Jeff Teague, sources tell
@TheAthletic@Stadium
Old 03-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #823
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I don't think Oladipo is as good as people make him out to be and I didn't lose any sleep over him not coming to Dallas...but for a bag of peanuts I would have took a shot trying to get him even as a 3 month rental.

Based on what Miami gave up for Oladipo I doubt the Mavs would have needed to include Brunson like someone mentioned.

The initial reports were Houston wanted a young talented player back and they ended up not getting a young talented player.

It's not like Olnyk and Bradley was some kind of package value. Heck there's already rumors that Houston might even buy Olynk out.

Sure Oladipo would have been a 3 month rental but for all we know Redick is a 3 month rental and not one person cared that he stated he wanted to be in Brooklyn or Boston to end his career. The only real value New Orleans wanted was that 2nd round pick they obtained for Redick because he was about to get bought out Mavs were the only team willing to give up that pick for him.

So again I'm not even a fan of Oladipo but taking into consideration what he was traded for I think the Mavs could have come up with something similar in a deal and I would hope they didn't just go off the notion he was leaving for Miami after 3 months because that's basically the same stance as Redick stating his preferences at the deadline.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #824
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Magic just waived Jeff Teague. Teague shooting 46% from 3pt. Could be another ball handler if the Mavs have any interest.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania·44m
@TheAthletic@Stadium
Honestly,

I would have preferred a guy like Teague who reminds me a little of George Hill both can shoot 3's but also defend somewhat and handle the ball better than Redick.

I just think they are making a huge mistake going for another one trick pony small guard when the post season comes around.

Just another guy in playoff matchups that we will have to try and hide defensively and if he's not hitting shots because unplayable.

Sure he was running to Brooklyn or Boston if bought out but I would have still just took my chances trying to acquire him that way as opposed to trading for him and looked to use that 2nd round pick or someone else.

Teague is better than Redick and another buyout player Jarbari Parker is better than Melli

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #825
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania·44m
@TheAthletic@Stadium
I’d take Teague and Dieng
Old 03-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #826
sefant77
Guru

Dieng yes but Teague is trash
Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #827
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I don't think Oladipo is as good as people make him out to be and I didn't lose any sleep over him not coming to Dallas...but for a bag of peanuts I would have took a shot trying to get him even as a 3 month rental.

Based on what Miami gave up for Oladipo I doubt the Mavs would have needed to include Brunson like someone mentioned.

The initial reports were Houston wanted a young talented player back and they ended up not getting a young talented player.

It's not like Olnyk and Bradley was some kind of package value. Heck there's already rumors that Houston might even buy Olynk out.

Sure Oladipo would have been a 3 month rental but for all we know Redick is a 3 month rental and not one person cared that he stated he wanted to be in Brooklyn or Boston to end his career. The only real value New Orleans wanted was that 2nd round pick they obtained for Redick because he was about to get bought out Mavs were the only team willing to give up that pick for him.

So again I'm not even a fan of Oladipo but taking into consideration what he was traded for I think the Mavs could have come up with something similar in a deal and I would hope they didn't just go off the notion he was leaving for Miami after 3 months because that's basically the same stance as Redick stating his preferences at the deadline.
That's fair. If the Mavs had traded a bag of chips and gotten Oladipo instead of Redick, I would have been happy.

I would note however that Olynyk is an actually good player and was an important part of Miami's lineup. He was usually closing games for them. So to beat Miami's offer, we would also have to give up player who's actually decent and somewhat valuable to us, like Kleber or someone. Just giving up Johnson's expiring contract and a second round pick or something wouldn't have done it. I don't think even Brunson would have done it.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-27-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #828
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yep this is why I don't like the idea of them resting guys.

They need to be taking this thing seriously because what if Memphis gets Jackson back he makes them stronger up front with Valacionus

What if Golden St gets hot again I wouldn't count them out from winning 1 game vs Dallas

Hell even Sacramento scares me for just one game with that dude Holmes playing light outs now and Fox, Heild and Haliburton on the perimeter.

Dallas needs that 6th seed because if they screw around and have to play in that tournament it's a good chance something could go wrong especially with the matchups presented out west.
Agree with you. Very faulty logic for those who say big deal if they cant win play in they dont belong in playoffs anyway ignores small sample size variability and exhibits a total lack of knowledge of probability theory.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #829
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Agree with you. Very faulty logic for those who say big deal if they cant win play in they dont belong in playoffs anyway ignores small sample size variability and exhibits a total lack of knowledge of probability theory.
Lol
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:20 PM   #830
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm sure the Mavs would have too - but that was not possible. Where did that idea come from?
Miami had to include first round swap rights. That's not a bag of peanuts.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #831
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
I'm sure the Mavs would have too - but that was not possible. Where did that idea come from?
This, and as I mentioned above, Olynyk is actually a decent player. I'm not sure why people seem to think otherwise. He's averaging 10 and 8 and usually closes games for them. So to beat their offer, we'd have to give up someone at least as good. I'm thinking it would have to be something like DFS or Kleber plus 2nd round picks plus maybe one of our rookies.

For two months of a player I don't particularly like for the Mavs in the first place, I'll pass.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #832
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Seriously you really think Miami is going to get a higher 1st round pick than Houston to make that swap mean anything?

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #833
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Seriously you really think Miami is going to get a higher 1st round pick than Houston to make that swap mean anything?
You never know.

I'd rather have a 5% chance at $100 than a 100% chance at a nickel.

Heat are in real danger of losing their playoff spot to the streaking Pacers this year. If that happens, a lot of us could be unhappy and next year when the pick is transferred, there's a chance that that pick is a lottery pick.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-27-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #834
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
You never know.

I'd rather have a 5% chance at $100 than a 100% chance at a nickel.

Heat are in real danger of losing their playoff spot to the streaking Pacers this year. If that happens, a lot of us could be unhappy and next year when the pick is transferred, there's a chance that that pick is a lottery pick.
They haven't played with Victor yet and Jimmy just came back.

I know you really don't believe the Heat will continue to struggle once they get their guys on board.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #835
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
This, and as I mentioned above, Olynyk is actually a decent player. I'm not sure why people seem to think otherwise. He's averaging 10 and 8 and usually closes games for them. So to beat their offer, we'd have to give up someone at least as good. I'm thinking it would have to be something like DFS or Kleber plus 2nd round picks plus maybe one of our rookies.

For two months of a player I don't particularly like for the Mavs in the first place, I'll pass.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...rade-deadline/

He's already on the potential buy out list (Olynyk)

No disrespect to Kelly but he's a backup player not a true starter. Most Mavs fans were about to go crazy a few years ago when he was allegedly coming here via trade.

Would you take him as starter on the Mavs right now?

I wouldn't give up WCS for him.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #836
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I’d take Teague and Dieng
I agree. Dieng would be a great addition. Who do you cut/waive? Melli for sure but if you were to try to pick up both, is there someone else the Mavs would be willing to part with? One of the rookies? I find it kind of interesting because how committed is the MBT to winning now (pick up a couple of veterans that could make immediate contributions) vs. develop the young guys and look to the future. I honestly do not know what the MBT would say to that.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #837
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...rade-deadline/

He's already on the potential buy out list (Olynyk)

No disrespect to Kelly but he's a backup player not a true starter. Most Mavs fans were about to go crazy a few years ago when he was allegedly coming here via trade.

Would you take him as starter on the Mavs right now?

I wouldn't give up WCS for him.
Talent-wise, I think he's at least as good as WCS. Him for WCS straight up is probably a wash. WCS might be a better fit for us because he's a better defender, but Olynyk at least has range on his jumpshot.

But that's not the question the Mavs had to ask themselves. The question was whether Oladipo was worth more to them than what Miami was giving up. Again, to beat Miami's offer it would have to be a player that Houston was actually interested in, plus more, e.g. 2nd round picks and/or one of our rookies.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #838
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
"In return, the Rockets get guard Avery Bradley, forward Kelly Olynyk and 2022 first-round swap rights. Those swap rights include the Brooklyn Nets' pick."

I think there is a good chance the Nets' pick is worse than Miami's, so yes, I think it may mean something.
Also, tying up a draft pick means something.

But even if it doesn't, Dallas still would have had to beat that offer - and I doubt a couple of late 2nds would.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #839
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree. Dieng would be a great addition. Who do you cut/waive? Melli for sure but if you were to try to pick up both, is there someone else the Mavs would be willing to part with? One of the rookies? I find it kind of interesting because how committed is the MBT to winning now (pick up a couple of veterans that could make immediate contributions) vs. develop the young guys and look to the future. I honestly do not know what the MBT would say to that.
My choice would be this dude
Bleacher report
Otto Porter was considered a buyout candidate while he was on the Bulls but he definitely is one now that he’s been traded to Orlando. The 27-year-old has no place on the rebuilding Magic who are set to bottom out this season. A buy-out makes sense so he can join a team that sees him as a long-term piece.

My reason for him is because he's still relatively young and not that far removed from being a productive 3 & D player. At his best I'd say he's better than DFS and close to ROCO.

He would probably serve more purpose than any other player we could get on the buyout market because he can play PF or SF off the bench. Gives them a backup for both Kleber and DFS.

PLus the Mavs need to think about potential matchups where they need longer players to compete with Leonard, George, LeBron, Melo, Michael Porter Jr, Gordon & Booker just to name a few.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-27-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #840
sefant77
Guru

Porter stays with the Magic. Smart from his side, much more minutes and potential to showcase himself for his next contract