Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #4361
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Two years guaranteed it looks like.

From Luke Adams at NBA Rumors.com

The Mavericks have signed second-round pick Isaiah Roby to a four-year, $6.7MM contract, agent Zach Kurtin of Priority Sports tells ESPN’s Bobby Marks (Twitter link).

As Marks details, the deal will be worth the minimum in years two through four, but it will have a $1.5MM cap hit in Roby’s rookie year. That $1.5MM cap charge represents the highest first-year salary in NBA history for a college player selected in the second round of the draft, according to Marks.

Although that’s a significant investment for the Mavs, they aren’t near the luxury-tax line and still had $1.8MM left on their mid-level exception. As such, it makes sense that they’d be willing to go a little higher in Roby’s first year in order to get him locked up for the next four. His second-year salary will also be guaranteed, while the third year will be non-guaranteed and the final season will be a team option, tweets Marks.

The No. 45 overall pick in June, Roby averaged 11.8 PPG and 6.9 RPG in his final season at Nebraska. The 6’8″ forward declared for the draft as an early entrant after his junior year, and his rights were acquired by the Mavs on draft night in a deal that sent No. 37 pick Deividas Sirvydis to Detroit.

Prior to signing Roby, the Mavericks had 13 players on guaranteed contracts on their books. Roby will be the 14th, while J.J. Barea – who has agreed to a new deal with Dallas but has yet to officially sign it – figures to be No. 15.
Not a bad deal.

I just think he's going to be a Powell that is more a raw prospect than a true immediate contributor
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #4362
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Not a bad deal.

I just think he's going to be a Powell that is more a raw prospect than a true immediate contributor
Sounds like a good way to manage a salary long-term if your high on a players potential.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #4363
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Roby 4years, 6.7 million dollar deal

15/15 regular roster
2/2 two-ways
Old 08-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #4364
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping the FO sees something more in Roby than we saw in Summer League, because he did not have a very strong showing.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #4365
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I was just interested in how much has changed from last season's opener to this season's opener. I'm only guessing that it's taking place on October 23rd.

Luka Dončić is still the youngest player on the team. 7 players have returned. The average age for the full roster is .47 years younger (26.99 vs 27.46). If we're looking at only the 15-man roster, then the average age is .81 years younger (27.39 vs 28.20). The oldest player has gone from Dirk Nowitzki (40.33) to J.J. Barea (35.33). Note that the NBA season also starts one week later.

Last year the tallest player on the roster was Salah Mejri at 7'2". This year we have 2 giants who are 7'3". However, the height of the full roster is actually shorter than last year after our big legendary German retired. We've dropped from 79.41" to 79.18". However, if we're just looking at the height of the 15-man rosters then it's really close, and this year's squad is a hair taller at 79.40" to last year's 79.36". Of course that's just based on the heights on paper.

I like how we're getting younger. I think this will be an exciting squad to watch this year.

Draft talent? 6 1st round picks, 3 2nd round picks, and 8 undrafted as opposed to last year's 5 1st round picks, 5 2nd round picks, and 7 undrafted.

Championship roster? 13 1st round picks, 1 2nd round pick, and... J.J. Barea. Do we need more talent in order to win? Maybe not. Raptors had 5 1st round picks, 5 2nd round picks, and 5 undrafted on their playoff roster. Amazingly, the highest pick on their roster was a 15th pick in the 1st round. We can do it!

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 08-06-2019 at 09:28 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #4366
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not a bad deal.

They were both taken in the 2nd round with the 45th pick so it's a fair comparison.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #4367
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't think the Mavs have protected KP well. I was hoping they'd add Mejri or some other legit sized center with that last spot.

Hopefully Powell and Maxi have beefed up and are in terrific shape going into next season because we are thin (in more ways than one) at center and those two will have to carry a heavy load.

I like what Boban brings but his minutes will most likely be severely limited.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #4368
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I still don't think the Mavs have protected KP well. I was hoping they'd add Mejri or some other legit sized center with that last spot.

Hopefully Powell and Maxi have beefed up and are in terrific shape going into next season because we are thin (in more ways than one) at center and those two will have to carry a heavy load.

KP is a PF.

Maxi, Powell, Jackson, DFS, Roby, and even Doncic will get minutes at PF.

Center will be fine with Powell starting and playing 30ish minutes. Boban can probably do 20-25. Maxi can play some.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #4369
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Center will be fine with Powell starting and playing 30ish minutes. Boban can probably do 20-25. Maxi can play some.
Boban is 30, and has a career average of <10 minutes per game. Tough to reconcile the hope that he will suddenly double his usage.

Also, concern that Powell will get worn down over the course of the season playing against bigger players 30+ish minutes per game. I think Kleiber would also be over-matched on a regular diet of 5s.

They need to reinforce the frontcourt with some size, specifically muscle.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #4370
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

BTW: strange facts on Powell

As a starter, Powell averaged
15pts, 8reb, 2ast on 65% shooting (44% from three)

After the allstar break:
15pts, 8reb, 2ast on 62% shooting (40% from three)

Dude didn't take a lot, but he was efficient even from three
Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #4371
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Boban is 30, and has a career average of <10 minutes per game. Tough to reconcile the hope that he will suddenly double his usage.

Also, concern that Powell will get worn down over the course of the season playing against bigger players 30+ish minutes per game. I think Kleiber would also be over-matched on a regular diet of 5s.

They need to reinforce the frontcourt with some size, specifically muscle.
I'm not sure how you think we should reinforce the roster. We're literally full on both regular roster spots and two-ways (15/15 and 2/2)

I'm also not sure why you think we need more bigs. The NBA isn't that big at all and a rotation of Powell/Kleber/Boban is fine for center. A rotation of KP/Kleber/Powell/DFS/JAckson and maybe Roby is fine for PF.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #4372
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure how you think we should reinforce the roster. We're literally full on both regular roster spots and two-ways (15/15 and 2/2)

I'm also not sure why you think we need more bigs. The NBA isn't that big at all and a rotation of Powell/Kleber/Boban is fine for center. A rotation of KP/Kleber/Powell/DFS/JAckson and maybe Roby is fine for PF.
At this point, it'll have to be in-season, via trade or signing some FA scraps.

I'm not concerned about PF, but I do think they'll be overmatched against Western Bigs like Anthony Davis, Ayton (as he matures), Nurcic/Whiteside, Jokic, Gobbert, Adams, and KAT. I remember watching games last season against Denver and OKC, in particular, where Mavs could.not.secure a defensive rebound against Jokic and Adams. KP should mitigate some of that as an able rebounder from the 4, but still the concern remains.

Eastern conference bigs won't be any easier, just less frequent: Embid, Vucavic, Gasol, Lopez/Lopez, Jordan/Allen, Turner/Sabonis, Drummond.

Yes, the league has trended smaller for a few years*, but the NBA has always run in cycles, not infinite, inexorable, uni-directional trends, and there are beginning to be more bigger, stronger, quality 5s that are going to require more of a counter than Maxi/Dwight.

*I wonder sometimes how things might've been different if Blatt hadn't bitten for Kerr's ploy of playing small-ball in that championship series. Journeymen Mozgov and Thompson were killing GSW on the boards, and that series could've easily gone the other way if Blatt hadn't gone small. That and Irving's Game 1 knee-capping. Trend-chasing teams could just as easily have gone big then to counter a champion's big lineup.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 08-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #4373
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to be satisfied with play and see. I have concern with rebounding as well but hopefully KP and Dp can take the next step in that regard. Our lineup has a good team rebounding so hopefully it will help the transition game since everyone can run and push the ball. That may dissuade teams from crashing the glass.
Fwiw... Dwight Howard probably could have helped us.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #4374
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
They seem to be satisfied with play and see. I have concern with rebounding as well but hopefully KP and Dp can take the next step in that regard. Our lineup has a good team rebounding so hopefully it will help the transition game since everyone can run and push the ball. That may dissuade teams from crashing the glass.
Fwiw... Dwight Howard probably could have helped us.
I don't have a lot of hope for KP. He was always more of a Dirk than a Millsap. He will drop down to the circle to contest inside shots at times and that will put him in decent position for defensive boards using his size even if he's on the move trying to contest. On offense, though, he'll be around the arc or in the high post.

Still, Doncic is a top 10 rebounder for his size. Delon Wright was a top 9 guard even as a PG. If we improve our rebounding, it will fall on those guys in particular.

With the rise of the 3pt shot, there are a lot of long rebounds. Guards and other players that can cover a lot of ground are more important than ever before. That's why I think we'll be okay: our frontcourt aren't particularly great rebounders, but we may have good/great defenders at PG, SG, and SF.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #4375
ChileanMavsFan

ChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of light

I'm cool with the deal for Roby, even if he hasn't shown much during summer league I can't be mad at us trying to develop players through the draft. In recent years we have seen several players coming to the league in similar situations before becoming productive players (VanVleet and Siakam with the raptors for example).

Don't see him getting minutes this year with the Mavs so I'm guessing we will be sending him to the G-League to continue to improve.

Last edited by ChileanMavsFan; 08-07-2019 at 02:13 PM.
ChileanMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #4376
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileanMavsFan View Post
I'm cool with the deal for Roby, even if he hasn't shown much during summer league I can't be mad at us trying to develop players through the draft. In recent years we have seen several players coming to the league in similar situations before becoming productive players (VanVleet and Siakam with the raptors for example).

Don't see him getting minutes this year with the Mavs so I'm guessing we will be sending him to the G-League to continue to improve.
I like those names your provided. A lot of guys can be productive with patience. The guy I think of most is Powell. When he got here, he could barely play.

Year 1 he averaged 6pts, 4reb on 12.5% shooting from three
Year 4 (after the allstar break) he averaged 15-8-2 on 60% shooting and 40% from three

That's the power of development and patience. It really took four years and the good news is that we have Roby for a full 4 years, plus full bird rights for years 5-10 if he becomes anything. If he fails, we waive him.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-07-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #4377
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm not concerned about PF, but I do think they'll be overmatched against Western Bigs like Anthony Davis, Ayton (as he matures), Nurcic/Whiteside, Jokic, Gobbert, Adams, and KAT. I remember watching games last season against Denver and OKC, in particular, where Mavs could.not.secure a defensive rebound against Jokic and Adams. KP should mitigate some of that as an able rebounder from the 4, but still the concern remains.

Eastern conference bigs won't be any easier, just less frequent: Embid, Vucavic, Gasol, Lopez/Lopez, Jordan/Allen, Turner/Sabonis, Drummond.

Yes, the league has trended smaller for a few years*, but the NBA has always run in cycles, not infinite, inexorable, uni-directional trends, and there are beginning to be more bigger, stronger, quality 5s that are going to require more of a counter than Maxi/Dwight.

*I wonder sometimes how things might've been different if Blatt hadn't bitten for Kerr's ploy of playing small-ball in that championship series. Journeymen Mozgov and Thompson were killing GSW on the boards, and that series could've easily gone the other way if Blatt hadn't gone small. That and Irving's Game 1 knee-capping. Trend-chasing teams could just as easily have gone big then to counter a champion's big lineup.
Yeah, my concern as well.

If Powell and Maxi get over powered by some of the bigger centers the Mavs won’t have many options and will end up relying on KP or Boban to make up the difference.
Do we really want KP banging with Jokic, Gasol, DJ and those others you mentioned because Rick won’t have any other options?
Especially at the risk of damaging a key asset.

Seems like a big center at the min would be a wise investment or at least an insurance policy.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #4378
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:

Do you think he'll get more minutes this season than he has in previous seasons? All that would take is 13 mpg.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #4379
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

I honestly wonder why we worry about center. With more threes, there are more long rebounds so guards and wings are more important for rebounding. Only a couple of true inside bruisers on offense (Davis, Ayton). Bigger issue is that centers are hitting threes (KAT and Davis) and that is near unguardable. Big bruisers on the Mavs aren't going to help with that. The era of the Shaq is basically over.

Adams - won't be in the playoffs. Not a scorer. Just a bruiser/hustling defender/rebounder. We'll face him only 2 times in the regular season (we face them in preseason twice)

Davis - No one can match up with him, but KP should get some time. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Will go to playoffs probably, but we probably won't this year. Has the strength to abuse smaller players and the range/athleticism to abuse bigger ones. No one is good against him. Very few players are even good against him. Even fewer are available.

Ayton - trash. Won't go to playoffs. Only 4 regular-season games. Has no outside shot. Doesn't punish with strength inside. Not worried about him at all. Suns drafted terribly with him (thank goodness).

Nurkic - No one can match up with him when healthy, but we'll have to see if he comes back healthy. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Will go to playoffs probably, but we probably won't this year. Nurkic's biggest strength is his passing which will require team defense, not one stellar defender.

Whiteside - Not a scorer and not even a starter. When Nurkic comes back, he won't play more than 10-15 minutes. I'm not sure why we worry about countering a guy that limited offensively who will play so few minutes. Just a bruiser. Why are we afraid of an extremely limited offensive player who only rebounds and blocks shots?

Gobert - No one can match up with him. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Will go to playoffs probably, but we probably won't this year.

KAT - No one can match up with him. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Won't be in the playoffs. Only four regular season games.

I'd add Jokic to the list. Dude can pass with the best of them and almost a triple-double threat. Still, he doesn't punish with strength as much as he could. Mostly he plays smart ball like Doncic and Nurkic. He'll wreck our team defense, but only four times in the regular season.

Also, for every one of those big bigs, there are plenty of smaller bigs who need the opposite. Getting a Steven Adams won't help with the Draymond Greens of the league. Hell, Adams got wrecked by Enes Kanter. I'm weary of tooling up to match a type of player we won't see terribly frequently when we aren't likely even a playoff team this year (and haven't even seen KP play)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-07-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #4380
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, my concern as well.

If Powell and Maxi get over powered by some of the bigger centers the Mavs won’t have many options and will end up relying on KP or Boban to make up the difference.
Do we really want KP banging with Jokic, Gasol, DJ and those others you mentioned because Rick won’t have any other options?
Especially at the risk of damaging a key asset.

Seems like a big center at the min would be a wise investment or at least an insurance policy.
It bugs me that the Grizzlies got Dwight Howard for only $5.6 million. I sure would have liked it if we could have signed him for that amount, maybe even less. He's a free agent next season. Maybe we'll have two Dwights in Dallas.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #4381
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Dwight refuses the P&R, he has no place in Dallas.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #4382
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Calling Ayton trash is objectively a bad hot take.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #4383
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I honestly wonder why we worry about center. With more threes, there are more long rebounds so guards and wings are more important for rebounding. Only a couple of true inside bruisers on offense (Davis, Ayton). Bigger issue is that centers are hitting threes (KAT and Davis) and that is near unguardable. Big bruisers on the Mavs aren't going to help with that. The era of the Shaq is basically over.

Adams - won't be in the playoffs. Not a scorer. Just a bruiser/hustling defender/rebounder. We'll face him only 2 times in the regular season (we face them in preseason twice)

Davis - No one can match up with him, but KP should get some time. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Will go to playoffs probably, but we probably won't this year. Has the strength to abuse smaller players and the range/athleticism to abuse bigger ones. No one is good against him. Very few players are even good against him. Even fewer are available.

Ayton - trash. Won't go to playoffs. Only 4 regular-season games. Has no outside shot. Doesn't punish with strength inside. Not worried about him at all. Suns drafted terribly with him (thank goodness).

Nurkic - No one can match up with him when healthy, but we'll have to see if he comes back healthy. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Will go to playoffs probably, but we probably won't this year. Nurkic's biggest strength is his passing which will require team defense, not one stellar defender.

Whiteside - Not a scorer and not even a starter. When Nurkic comes back, he won't play more than 10-15 minutes. I'm not sure why we worry about countering a guy that limited offensively who will play so few minutes. Just a bruiser. Why are we afraid of an extremely limited offensive player who only rebounds and blocks shots?

Gobert - No one can match up with him. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Will go to playoffs probably, but we probably won't this year.

KAT - No one can match up with him. Kleber and Powell won't be great, but no one really is. Won't be in the playoffs. Only four regular season games.

I'd add Jokic to the list. Dude can pass with the best of them and almost a triple-double threat. Still, he doesn't punish with strength as much as he could. Mostly he plays smart ball like Doncic and Nurkic. He'll wreck our team defense, but only four times in the regular season.

Also, for every one of those big bigs, there are plenty of smaller bigs who need the opposite. Getting a Steven Adams won't help with the Draymond Greens of the league. Hell, Adams got wrecked by Enes Kanter. I'm weary of tooling up to match a type of player we won't see terribly frequently when we aren't likely even a playoff team this year (and haven't even seen KP play)
Random thought, but I'd like to stop for a moment and appreciate the complete renaissance the NBA has seen at the center position since the "Shaq era." For all of the 2000's and even into the 2010s, the level of talent at that position around the NBA was f*cking GARBAGE. You could count on one hand the number of centers that had one spec of talent or ability on the offensive end. It was utterly pathetic. There was Shaq, Yao for a few years, Dwight later on, and maybe one or two others. Most teams were damn lucky to have a guy who could just take up space in the paint and grab a rebound or two.

We Mavs fans loved to hate on Dampier, but honestly in the mid 2000's he probably was a top 5 or 10 center in the league. I mean, Jamaal f*cking Magloire was an ALL STAR one year averaging something like 11 and 10. The fact that Gana Diop was able to even get on the floor at all, let alone be a key member of a title contender, is dumbfounding now. Today, I doubt he could even make any NBA roster. Even the mighty Spurs were starting guys like Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 08-07-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #4384
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Calling Ayton trash is objectively a bad hot take.
And a desperate cry for attention.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #4385
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:

Kp vs Davis
https://youtu.be/_iejlGlWISs

Kp vs Kat
https://youtu.be/rHDYSXxNRLU

Kp vs Embid
https://youtu.be/rHDYSXxNRLU

Kp vs Jokic.
https://youtu.be/cFi4yp4Nk3w
https://youtu.be/k9QgNYWrBBc

Kp vs Gobert
https://youtu.be/PSfQMuVaagk

Other bigs have to guard KP too so good luck with that. Kp is just as unguardable if not more so as any of the names mentioned here.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #4386
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I get that the league has changed, and that KP is as good as most bigs in the league, but my concern is that he'll become a workhorse for this team and the risk for injury will increase in the process.

I'm not saying the Mavs should go after a starter quality center but just have a banger on the end of the bench in case we get in a situation where we need some banging.
Sure, guys like Adams wont be in the POs but we'll see him a few times during the season and I'd rather see someone else fighting in the paint with him.

I see KP as a Dirk replacement and we did a lot to protect Dirk from being a workhorse during our playoff runs and even every year after the championship. Why not do the same for KP?

I think it is unnecessary risk that could easily and cheaply be mitigated by signing an end of the bench banger/rebounder/defender at the min.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-08-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #4387
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I get that the league has changed, and that KP is as good as most bigs in the league, but my concern is that he'll become a workhorse for this team and the risk for injury will increase in the process.

I'm not saying the Mavs should go after a starter quality center but just have a banger on the end of the bench in case we get in a situation where we need some banging.
Sure, guys like Adams wont be in the POs but we'll see him a few times during the season and I'd rather see someone else fighting in the paint with him.

I see KP as a Dirk replacement and we did a lot to protect Dirk from being a workhorse during our playoff runs and even every year after the championship. Why not do the same for KP?

I think it is unnecessary risk that could easily and cheaply be mitigated by signing an end of the bench banger/rebounder/defender at the min.
KP isn’t playing huge minutes and at PF he isn’t going to get thrown around. Dirk was fine and that was the era of the big strong bigs. I’m not even sure what PF you are worried about. There really are so few power PFs. If anything it’s the age of the agile forward who can hit the three and drive.

Markannen, Griffin, Aldridge, Bagley, Collins, Siakam, Kuzma, Isaak, Jackson Jr., Randle

Those are the best PFs in the league. PF could be the weakest position in the NBA and none of those guys are going to grind KP to injury.

We also have no roster spots so it’s moot. Powell, Kleber, Marj, Jackson, DFS, and even Roby and Doncic will get him rest. You may not like the quality of the players at PF/C, but our roster is full and those guys are going to play a lot of minutes so KP can play 25-ish minutes

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-08-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #4388
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
KP isn’t playing huge minutes and at PF he isn’t going to get thrown around. Dirk was fine and that was the era of the big strong bigs. I’m not even sure what PF you are worried about. There really are so few power PFs. If anything it’s the age of the agile forward who can hit the three and drive.

Markannen, Griffin, Aldridge, Bagley, Collins, Siakam, Kuzma, Isaak, Jackson Jr., Randle

Those are the best PFs in the league. PF could be the weakest position in the NBA and none of those guys are going to grind KP to injury.

We also have no roster spots so it’s moot. Powell, Kleber, Marj, Jackson, DFS, and even Roby and Doncic will get him rest. You may not like the quality of the players at PF/C, but our roster is full and those guys are going to play a lot of minutes so KP can play 25-ish minutes
You're actually kinda making my point.

KP will probably play mostly at PF but what happens when Powell gets tossed around like a rag doll by some of the bigger centers in the league and we start watching layup drills and easy dunks like we saw the last 30 or so games last season?
Not to mention getting clobbered on the boards every night.
KP might be his best option and as a Mavs fan I'd hate to watch him go up against physical centers for very long periods doing the dirty work. The big man's roll has diminished but isn't completely obsolete.

You're right, the point is moot now but my point started with the signing of Roby and not addressing what I consider a critical need. KP is fragile and a major valuable asset that needs some protection. Just thought they could have addressed it with a simple vet min contract with an end of the bench guy.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-08-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #4389
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
You're actually kinda making my point.

KP will probably play mostly at PF but what happens when Powell gets tossed around like a rag doll by some of the bigger centers in the league and we start watching layup drills and easy dunks like we saw the last 30 or so games last season?
Not to mention getting clobbered on the boards every night.
KP might be his best option and as a Mavs fan I'd hate to watch him go up against physical centers for very long periods doing the dirty work. The big man's roll has diminished but isn't completely obsolete.

You're right, the point is moot now but my point started with the signing of Roby and not addressing what I consider a critical need. KP is fragile and a major valuable asset that needs some protection. Just thought they could have addressed it with a simple vet min contract with an end of the bench guy.
I don't think you are in the minority with at least some concern, but they're locked into a play and see mindset. They could always make a trade if it's a glaring issue. Powell might be attractive to a team with a starting Center but needing a PF, which is another reason why it's not the worst idea to acquire talent/assets over the fit when you miss your targeted guys in FA.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #4390
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I don't think you are in the minority with at least some concern, but they're locked into a play and see mindset. They could always make a trade if it's a glaring issue. Powell might be attractive to a team with a starting Center but needing a PF, which is another reason why it's not the worst idea to acquire talent/assets over the fit when you miss your targeted guys in FA.
I want to see what we get with Powell. He's a natural PF, but was forced to play center, because he couldn't shoot.

After the all-star break last year, he was doing everything right. 14.7pts, 7.5reb, 2.5ast on 62% shooting and an amazing 40% from three

Powell turned himself into a top 2-3 rim-running center in the league (as measured by eFG%/TS%), but if he can continue to hit the three, then he may get some time at PF as well as center. That will both make him more valuable to us and potentially more valuable to other teams. I don't think we trade him, but it's certainly an interesting storyline.

Still think Powell/Kleber/Boban is good enough to be at least top 10-15 in the league in rebounding (with Doncic, Porzingis, and Delon doing the real heavy lifting and the importance of the three meaning that there are far more long rebounds for guards/wings), but I wouldn't mind upgrading the center spot (or really any spot)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-09-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #4391
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah and with all of the unsigned available traditional centers they should easily be able to sign one during the season. There is always Lee and the TPE that could be used in trades to address any areas of need.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #4392
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I want to see what we get with Powell. He's a natural PF, but was forced to play center, because he couldn't shoot.

After the all-star break last year, he was doing everything right. 14.7pts, 7.5reb, 2.5ast on 62% shooting and an amazing 40% from three

Powell turned himself into a top 2-3 rim-running center in the league (as measured by eFG%/TS%), but if he can continue to hit the three, then he may get some time at PF as well as center. That will both make him more valuable to us and potentially more valuable to other teams. I don't think we trade him, but it's certainly an interesting storyline.

Still think Powell/Kleber/Boban is good enough to be at least top 10-15 in the league in rebounding (with Doncic, Porzingis, and Delon doing the real heavy lifting and the importance of the three meaning that there are far more long rebounds for guards/wings), but I wouldn't mind upgrading the center spot (or really any spot)
I've grown to be a Powell fan and want to see what he can do as a starter also. We know what he can do, but is he going to come out of the gates like he finished? If I recall correctly, he had a strong finish to the season before as well but had a rough start to last year. It's about time he has continuity from season to season and if he wants to remain in the starting 5 its imperative that he do so.

Last edited by SMC0007; 08-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #4393
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've grown to be a Powell fan and want to see what he can do as a starter also. We know what he can do, but is he going to come out of the gates like he finished? If I recall correctly, he had a strong finish to the season before as well but had a rough start to last year. It's about time he has continuity from season to season and if he wants to remain in the starting 5 its imperative that he do so.
Do you think he'll grab more rebounds this year? If so, that'll work wonders for us.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #4394
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Do you think he'll grab more rebounds this year? If so, that'll work wonders for us.
I think he will by default of deandra not stealing them. But yes, I think he gets a cpl more per

Old 08-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #4395
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I think he will by default of deandra not stealing them. But yes, I think he gets a cpl more per
Wright is going to gobble them up too. I'm excited for such a strong 1-2 punch rebounding, but Delon and KP are why I thought Doncic's rebounding numbers will go down.

April
Delon 17-9-9
Doncic 24-14-9

Both of those guys are going to have to compete hard with each other for boards. Both guys will have a hard time averaging a triple double on the same team.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #4396
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

DELON WRIGHT PRIMER: NEW MAVERICK HAS NEW CONFIDENCE AND MAYBE SOME NEW BLING
https://www.mavs.com/delon-wright-pr...ome-new-bling/
Quote:
Wright said a big part of the attraction with the Mavericks was Doncic and Porzingis. They are a little further along in their NBA evolution, he said, than the core players in Memphis.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #4397
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Okay, now I forgive him for modeling his game on Wade
Old 08-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #4398
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Good read. I am glad he is here. Hopefully he starts off the way he ended last season. The same goes for DP.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #4399
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: J.J. Barea signed a one-year veteran’s minimum deal with the Mavs today, he said. Barea, who is recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon, expects to be cleared to fully participate in training camp.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #4400
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
@espn_macmahon: J.J. Barea signed a one-year veteran’s minimum deal with the Mavs today, he said. Barea, who is recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon, expects to be cleared to fully participate in training camp.
Holy crap, that's fast. Figured he was out for most of the year.

Tags
win now