Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Utah Trade

Quote:
Originally posted by: Lvubun1
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
I wouldnt do that trade..imo we coud get a lot more for shipping jamison out of town
Are you just considering his talent, or are you taking in mind his contract. The answer is, no you can't, this is about what you could get, probably less but its a very good trade, though Utah wouldn't do it. I hate to sound like a broken record but most people with these fantasy trades forget the #1 most important thing, MONEY. The talent difference between Harping and Jamison is pretty small, look at his numbers 17, 8 and 2 pretty much what Jamison would put up. But now, Harping is making 15 million for 3 years, Jamision is making 73 million for 5 years, what in Jesus's name would suggest that Utah would even pick-up the phone on this trade? Even if you think Jamison is better, is he 58 million dollars better? Their is a better chance Fortson will become a spokesman for "Weight Watchers"

Think of it this way, if somehow Jamison's current contract became void, its no longer binding nor legal. So he is a free agent but to sign him you have to sign him for the same amount as his last contract, 5 years at 73, how many teams would, dispite the fact that you don't have to give up a thing, not even a ballboy, sign him at that price? not many. Personally, because of the reason stated above the Mavs should keep Jamison because they probably won't get equal talent for him.
What Utah would get is more of an inside scorer and a player more suited to being the #1 option in an offense. Look what Sloan has done for Harprings career. It wouldn't be such a small stretch that Sloan could have a similar career enhancing affect on Jamison. Hell look what Sloan did with malone and stockton. Bottom line is Jamison has lots more talent to work with. Is it enough for the price difference? I certainly can't say it definitely is. But I don't think you can say it definitely isn't. I will gladly concede that it would be a longshot vs a surething to have this trade happen.