Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default For any MLS fans.....this will interest you.

Two seperate piueces of news that will make soccer fans in Texas happy.
Burn Baby Burn: MLS Club Will Change Its Name To FC Dallas

MLS Burn Changing To
The More Traditional FC Dallas

MLS and Burn sources confirmed that the club’s new name will be FC Dallas, according to Steve Davis of the DALLAS MORNING NEWS, who notes new team colors and a logo will be unveiled tonight at a ceremony in Frisco, Texas.

FC is a reference to traditional “Football Clubs” around the world such as FC Barcelona, ManU FC and FC Bayern Munich.

While the change includes new uniforms, the team will no longer use Atletica as its athletic supplier, so the “remodeled jersey design must wait until later this year.”

Davis notes the makeover is “all about next year’s move into the” 20,000-seat Frisco Sports & Entertainment Center, “pending its own title-sponsor driven name change.” Burn GM Greg Elliott: “We needed to reintroduce our brand to the marketplace. ...

We need a name that when people heard it, there was no doubt they know who we are.” While the announcement comes during the MLS season, Elliott indicated the club is trying to sell sponsorships and season tickets, adding, “We didn’t want to refer to a brand name that no longer exists”

(DALLAS MORNING NEWS, 8/12).

And FC Dallas will probably have a new in-state rival......Landon Donovan.

Club America (of Mexico City) Looking To Buy MLS Earthquakes, Move To Texas (Houston)

Chivas’ Team Triggers Club
America’s MLS Interest

Club America Looking To Buy MLS Earthquakes, Move To Texas

Chivas’ Team Triggers Club
America’s MLS Interest

Harris County-Houston Sports Authority CEO Oliver Luck indicated that Mexico-based Club America is “trying to purchase the [MLS] Earthquakes and relocate the team to Texas,” according to Dylan Hernandez of the SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, who reports Club America rep Ricardo Ampudia met with Houston officials last week.

Houston City Council member Adrian Garcia’s Chief of Staff Giovanni Garibay scheduled meetings for Ampudia with Garcia, Houston Mayor Bill White and Luck.

Garibay said that Ampudia “never specifically mentioned to him that Club America would purchase the Earthquakes,” but that he “strongly suggested that Club America would have [an MLS] team ‘within the next few weeks.’”

Garibay added that “part of Club America’s motivation was” rival Chivas securing an MLS expansion team to begin play next season in L.A.

Garibay: “He said they didn’t want to be outdone.”

“Earthquakes parent AEG COO Scott Blackmun confirmed that “talks with Club America were ongoing,’” but said, “We have not reached an agreement to sell to Club America and have not reached an agreement to move the team.”

(SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, 8/11.......register to read).
Old 08-12-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE:For any MLS fans.....this will interest you.

ALRIGHT!

My favorite soccer team with a branch in Texas, WOO HOO!

[img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
NYCdog

just an FYI........the new logo.

What's up with all the usage of the cows lately? Horns, Texans, Stars alternate, and now this. One would figure a few of these teams would wake up and realize that cow logos have been used a little too much and look for another mascot to fit a Texas motif (....like a horse) especially after the Texans masterpiece bull logo. That cant be topped.....so why try anymore attempts at a cow logo.

And furthermore, I'm not such a fan of the name FC Dallas.

Why???

Its that "FC" part, which refers to "Football Club."

Last I checked, here in America, we dont call the game Football, its called Soccer. Hence the league's name, "Major League SOCCER," not Major League Football.

And speaking of problems with names.......

CHIWAS,

Can you tell me exactly why Mexico's top club based in its nations capital, is called Club America?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: For any MLS fans.....this will interest you.

The America was founded at October 12th, 1916. Its name was chosen after the date, commemoration of the discovery of our continent by Columbus.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There are rumblings that the MLS is once again on shaky financial ground. Is this the last gasp at revenue generation?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

there are MLS fans?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:47 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
there are MLS fans?
Who knew? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
NYCdog

Quote:
There are rumblings that the MLS is once again on shaky financial ground. Is this the last gasp at revenue generation?
Nah.....if anything, this sport probably has the brightest future among all the leagues. All they need is to have teams in the right "diverse" markets. DC, NY, and LA were all good first steps.

Miami was also a good location......problem was they had the team plying at Lockhart, miles away from their true fan base in Miami's "Little Havana" area where the Orange Bowl currently sits. At least the Marlins realize that putting a team close to its most loyal supporters is best for all as they are trying to build there stadium in the parking lot of the Orange Bowl. If the MLS is smart enough to put a team in the right area of Miami, then there will be success, as the Marlins and baseball will see come 2007.

And lets say that team is called "Real Miami".......as the rumors persist of Real Madrid obtaining an expansion franchise for Miami.....then the success of this market could be beyond anyone's imagination.

Chivas is perfect for LA too. In fact, there such a perfect match, it might evict Galaxy out of LA in a few years, as most of its supporters will no doubt jump ship to the wildly popular Chivas LA club. I see the Galaxy eventually moving to the Bay Area (specifically soccer friendlier Oakland) to replace the Quakes, who will be moving to Houston once bought by Club America in the coming weeks.

I also feel the match between Houston and Texas and Club America is one "made in heaven." The market in Houston is diverse (...especially on the Hispanic end of things) and soccer-friendly for this club to succeed big time. And couple it with the fact that the club will be sporting the "Club America" brand in a state where its Mexican-American fan base is huge and you can imagine a fandom along the lines of what you see in LA for the Galaxy and Chivas. Aside from the cultural side of things, if the Quakes are moved to Houston under the Club America banner, it could only boost the already perceived huge fan base it might have in the Lone Star state due to its success on the field. The Quakes are kinda the Pats of the MLS as they have won championships in 2001 and 2003. If they continue to have the same success in this wild new "Club America" market during the "novelty" period, many of the first-timers who attend matches are likely to come back and join the faithfull Club America fans, adding to the overall fan base.

Look all over the map........Dallas, LA, Colorado, Chicago, KC, NY, and DC are all either building or have already built soccer stadiums.

That alone should tell you where this league is right now financially. Cause if this league were in trouble, no team at all would be committing long term to building these expensive soccer stadiums.

Couple all of this with the impending demise of the NHL after the strike and it all adds up.....the MLS is indeed a league on the rise.

I urge all North Texans to jump on the FC Dallas bandwagon and catch the wave.......before it passes you by.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Sorry, guys, I will root for Houston. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Down with the Chivas! [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 08:28 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
I urge all North Texans to jump on the FC Dallas bandwagon and catch the wave.......before it passes you by.
I may let that wave...like the wave of flu and the runs.....go passing by. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Funny quote though.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:26 AM   #11
Chiwas
Guru