Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2003, 09:37 PM   #1
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Ok...lets examine the situation.

Life is good for the Mavericks fan. The Mavs have the best record in the leauge. They have one MVP candidate. They have an all star point guard. They have an excellent shooting guard. They have a GREAT owner. They have a team that you can actually LIKE. Thier situation is better than the situations of just about every other team in the NBA.

They got blown out by the Kings in the first meeting of the year. I admit, it was not pretty.

They blew out the Lakers for three quarters, but fell apart in the fourth quarter. Yeah, it hurt. But it was one bad quarter.

They lost to the Kings at home, the day after they beat the Jazz on the road. They were down big in the game, but behind great play from their MVP candidate and their excellent two guard, the climbed back into the game. They wound up losing that game on thier MVP candidates shot as time expired.

Lets say, for arguments sake that the Mavs escaped with a win that December evening against the Lakers and Dirks shot rolled in the other night...suddenly, everything is looking pretty good, right?

All I can say folks is...we've got a chance. Our team is young, but they are improving and they already have the best record in the league. Enjoy the ride. They may not win it all this year, but then again...they may. And if they don't, they will have plenty of chances. This board is generally so negative. Try to take a chill pill and enjoy watching the most entertaining, and one of the best teams in the league.

Hitman

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Your DAMN straight!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:30 AM   #3
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

The negativity has really gotten to me. Guys like KG make very valid points and their analysis is warranted...and I don't see their posts as negative. There are legitimate issues to be discussed and in the case of "quality posters" who've been here a long time and have had concerrns that go back a year or two...that's not negativity to me.

But there are a lot of "new members" who come here and immediately start ripping without giving much thought to what they're posting. Just tonight, I read a post that said "If the Playoffs started today, we'd be playing the Lakers...How ignorant and ridiculous...Did you even think before you said that. It just takes one minute of research to reveal that the Laker's are in 9th place, a game and a half behind Houston. A really idiotic, non-sensical post...a real waste of space and our time. A total credibility buster.

I'm going to get this off my chest...there are way too many new members who joined the bandwagon as the Mavs ran out to a great record...and immediately turned fickle and negative when the Mavs hit a tough period.

Why weren't you posting In September or last year ? If you had, you'd at least have some perspective and credibility. Just my opinion, but "new members" should think before they post and not express opinions out of emotion. I can go down a long list of posters who've been on the board for 6 months or even years, who express well thought out opinions backed by real thought. And I admire them, even in times that I don't agree with them. Kiki, Kg, Dooby, Dude, Evil, SJ, Chiwas and Hoops come to mind immediately along with a relatively new member, LRB.

I can also compile a long list of people who've joined in the last few weeks or months who post a lot of drivel over and over. Making a real contribution to this board requires dedication, thought and perspective. Most new members, especially those who come on board in the last month or so, would do well to learn this lesson. You're entitled to your opinion, of course...but it doesn't mean that I'm going to read it unless some thought is put behind it.

It really says something when someone joins and immediately disses certain players or Nellie...and/or proposes what LRB has termed "Stoopid trades". It's better to learn and think through things rather than to express an obviously shallow, "I know it all" opinion. Please try to make a well thought out contribution rather than post an obviously biased and "attention getting" piece of garbage.

All would do well to emulate the opening post in this thread by Hitman, a new member. To whom I say, good post. And welcome.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:31 AM   #4
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

Great post
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:51 AM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hitman posted a darned good post up above... The Mavs are viciously whooping up on the rest of the league, and a lot of our own fans' blathering naysayers have generally exposed their heritage's of short-term fandom, by continually complaining about the merits of this year's wonderful team, and thus showing their lack of appreciation for the struggles of the teams of the 90's,(the losingest decade for any professional sports franchise in the history of American sports- a distinction that is shockingly unknown amongst those same new-coming Mavs' fans). Any analysis, of the crying and complaining and babelling against Don Nelson and all of the (stupidly perceived) mistakes that he has made over the last few years, inevitably shines a bright and revealing light upon just how intelligent some of our newcoming fans just may be...

Addendum: This is the post of a drunk and stupid fool
Old 02-07-2003, 05:29 AM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Very nice post Hitman. Welcome to the board.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Hitman posted a darned good post up above... The Mavs are viciously whooping up on the rest of the league, and a lot of our own fans' blathering naysayers have generally exposed their heritage's of short-term fandom, by continually complaining about the merits of this year's wonderful team, and thus showing their lack of appreciation for the struggles of the teams of the 90's,(the losingest decade for any professional sports franchise in the history of American sports- a distinction that is shockingly unknown amongst those same new-coming Mavs' fans). Any analysis, of the crying and complaining and babelling against Don Nelson and all of the (stupidly perceived) mistakes that he has made over the last few years, inevitably shines a bright and revealing light upon just how intelligent some of our newcoming fans just may be... >>

This post pisses me off. I happen to be a long-time Mavs fan that stuck with them through the 90s and was there for the glory days of the 80s. I also happen to be of the opinion that this team is not good enough to win a Championship. But yet you say I have a lack of appreciation for this team? Whatever. I like watching this team play, I own season tickets, and I can't remember a time when I wasn't a Mavs fan. Sorry guy, your post is prejudice and immature.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< Hitman posted a darned good post up above... The Mavs are viciously whooping up on the rest of the league, and a lot of our own fans' blathering naysayers have generally exposed their heritage's of short-term fandom, by continually complaining about the merits of this year's wonderful team, and thus showing their lack of appreciation for the struggles of the teams of the 90's,(the losingest decade for any professional sports franchise in the history of American sports- a distinction that is shockingly unknown amongst those same new-coming Mavs' fans). Any analysis, of the crying and complaining and babelling against Don Nelson and all of the (stupidly perceived) mistakes that he has made over the last few years, inevitably shines a bright and revealing light upon just how intelligent some of our newcoming fans just may be...

Addendum: This is the post of a drunk and stupid fool
>>

Rumor has it that the new software upgrade will have a breath-alyzer log-in feature.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:42 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Nellie I'm not speaking to you personally because I don't recall this applying to you. But you can be a long time fan. Since the inception of the team. Seen all the lean years. That's great and wonderful.

Now we have this great year where we have had the best record in the league from almost day 1 of the regular season. We've set several records and are on pace to set several more including most wins in a season. Now lets suppose that you're right and we don't have a high probability of winning it all this year. Let me ask you this. What kind of fan trys to spoil all this success and progress by posting negative post and negative post stating the teams flaws? We do have them. Every team does. So we're not good enough to win it all in your mind. Does that mean that you can only think of negative things to say about your team?

Well I call this type of person a poor fan and a very negative person. I certainly wouldn't call them a realist. This is definitely someone who almost always sees the glass as half empty at least with their team in mind IMO. I'm not saying everyone who posts a critisism is like this. But if you make 30 posts and 25 are critisizing your team, you sure sound negative to me with the success that this team has been having.

Maybe this type of negativity should'nt be called knee-jerking. Maybe some people just love to be critics and always find faults. Who knows. But too much of it can rub a lot of people the wrong way. Just as too much blind optimism can make people mad.

Right now IMO this board has too much blind pesimism. I don't like it and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Unfortunately some people get labeled pesimists who aren't. I'm not calling you one. I'm just explaining why some people are upset over some of the negative comments.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I realy don't post here that much, so I am not one of the ones that constantly posts &quot;negative comments&quot;. All I am saying is that generalizations like this guy made are unnecessary, no matter what your opinion on the Mavs championship hopes are.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:10 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

<< I realy don't post here that much, so I am not one of the ones that constantly posts &quot;negative comments&quot;. All I am saying is that generalizations like this guy made are unnecessary, no matter what your opinion on the Mavs championship hopes are. >>

nellie the same could be said of negative comments as well.

But Hitman does make a valid point. If you can't have everything you want now in life and you personally are doing what you can to make it happen, you have 2 choices.

1. You can sit around and bitch, moan, and whine about it.

2. You can enjoy the wonderful things you do have.

The choice is yours my friend. It doesn't have to be all #1 and no #2 but what we do is a composite of the both. Personally I try to do more #2 than #1. I tend to be happier and more well adjusted.

The Mavs are having unprecedented success this year and some people just want to sit around and piss on others parades. Please excuse me if I don't enjoy that aspect of it. Getting pissed on is never a wonder experience. Hey maybe some people get off on pissing on others. Maybe they should seek help to.

There is a lot to be happy about and enjoy about this Mavs season. It's not perfect and I don't think we're the favorites to win the championship. And I will complain some here and there. But dogone it I want to enjoy it and share that joy with others who think likewise. And I don't appreciate someone constantly being an overly pesimistic person who trys to piss on me.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #12
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

<< I can also compile a long list of people who've joined in the last few weeks or months who post a lot of drivel over and over. Making a real contribution to this board requires dedication, thought and perspective. Most new members, especially those who come on board in the last month or so, would do well to learn this lesson. You're entitled to your opinion, of course...but it doesn't mean that I'm going to read it unless some thought is put behind it >>

OP, I have to admit, when I joined this board in mid-January I started out by dissing the players but I realized that I'm a Mavs fan and that there shouldnt be anything bad that should come out of my mouth. I definitely Love the mavs and being a member on this board, I have stopped posting up stupid posts and started thinking again. Whatever i say, I at least give it a thought before I post it. Anyways this is a very interesting thread and I just wanted to know one thing, Do Ya'll think i'm one of those new members who disses the mavs players and coaches?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

&quot;. All I am saying is that generalizations like this guy made are unnecessary

As are the deluge of fans daily making wild trade demands and decrying Nelson- as the Mavs continue to hold the best record in the league. This complaining and quibbling has been going on for weeks, and it really has aquired a life of it's own. Watching the negative analysis move from the &quot;Mavs can't defend&quot; arguments to the &quot;Nelson can't win in the playoffs&quot; argument to the requisite condemnations of Raef and Bradley as &quot;soft&quot; just gets tiring...

I am sorry that my comments offended you- I will admit I was a little harsh- but I am not going to apologize for the sentiments that those comments represented. Deep down, I just have the feeling that a lot of folks who are quick to condemn Nelson or the Mavs of today, just don't appreciate how far this franchise has come under Nelson's watch...

Sure we may not be on track to win 70 games this year and we might not be prohibative favorites to win the championship, but I don't think that justifies the constant panicky, negative criticism that has recently dominated the flow of discussion on this board...
Old 02-07-2003, 06:41 PM   #14
centrlpark08

Well I like the coaches that we have and I'm actully happy to even have a coach like nellie here in dallas. I dont diss players or coaches but when i joined i started alot of trade threads but I got real and decided that if anyone were to post it up i would only give my opinion on it so I guess I'm ok.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #15
JP5488

JP5488 is on a distinguished road

Don Nelson sucks.
This team sucks.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:54 PM   #16
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Don Nelson sucks.
This team sucks.
>>

This is a prime example of one of the &quot;new&quot; posters who thinks he's clever, complete with his &quot;NELLIE MUST GO&quot; signature. Trolling for attention.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #17
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

as far as the &quot;nellie must go&quot; part i think everyone is more or less concerned he´s right ...

i myself hope that &quot;Nellie must go and lead the parade&quot; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 12:12 AM   #18
kepper

kepper is on a distinguished road

hey outlet pass,look im new to the website but have been a mavs fan for...well lets just say i hate the lakers for a good reason(wcf). i was excited about being part of mavs talk with other mavs fans. now that i see the attitude that the &quot;senior members&quot; have its crazy. who died and made you king!! you make me laugh with your long drawn out posts about how you want new members to study a mavs media guide before posting or dont post at all. is this how it is, new members have to be jumped in first before being looked at as a &quot;real&quot; mavs fan. look this is supposed to be fun with interesting thoughts and views. if you dont like the way a thread is going dont read or reply!! i was eager to have my other mav buddies join but now seeing how you have to pass some sort of popularity test im having second thoughts.
i will try to overlook your big head and maybe three years from now i can say WOW!-LOOK AT ME! I POSTED 3000 TIMES! IM SPECIAL! AND NEW MEMBERS ARE BELOW ME!!--GIVE US ALL A BREAK AND LOOSEN UP!!KEPPER
Old 02-08-2003, 12:25 AM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

The problem with &quot;new fans&quot; is that a lot of them are &quot;old fans&quot; who were banned and still come back with different monikers to cause trouble. Because of this, a lot of older posters are naturally wary of anyone showing up and saying anything provocative while sporting &quot;new member&quot; status. If you aren't one of those guys you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Post what you like, and you shouldn't give a good gosh darned about what anyone else has to say about it. If you are a real poster, a newcomer to the board, other fans will realize that and I am sure you will find that most of the folks here are very friendly...
Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM   #20
centrlpark08

GEEZ KEPPER, I didnt know you would think of that about OP? Ya'll both have some good points. I think theres too many people dissing alot but thats ok cause I once was like that. And your right anyone can put up whatever they want but what Evilmav just said about banned members making new names and getting back in and putting in provocative posts is wrong. I am not telling anyone what to do except lets just enjoy what we have, at least we even have a winning team or even a team in dallas.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:45 AM   #21
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

And your right anyone can put up whatever they want but what Evilmav just said about banned members making new names and getting back in and putting in provocative posts is wrong.

How so?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:48 AM   #22
kepper

IM HERE TO TALK MAVS IN A FRIENDLY BUT COMPETITIVE WAY. NOT TO WIN ANY POPULARITY CONTESTS LIKE I SAID EARLIER. IVE ENJOYED IT SO FAR BUT IM BEGINING TO NOTICE A BROTHERHOOD TYPE ATMOSPHERE THAT SEEMS A LITTLE SORRY. IF I NEW OF THIS WEBSITE YEARS AGO I WOULD BE A &quot;ELITE&quot; MEMBER I GUESS BUT WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME THOUGHTS TOWARDS THE MAVS THAT I DO NOW. THE AMOUNT OF POSTS ON THIS FORUM DOES NOT DECIDE ON HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR THE DALLAS MAVERICKS. WOW LOOK IM A JUNIOR MEMBER NOW, WHAT DOES THAT GET ME? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 AM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

MAYBE A COOKIE?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #24
centrlpark08

Hey Kepper, when you do those smiley thingy it looks annoying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2003, 12:56 AM   #25
kepper

who the f cares !!
Old 02-08-2003, 01:00 AM   #26
JP5488

JP5488 is on a distinguished road

this just in...

MAVS STILL SUCK...

film at 11....

Old 02-08-2003, 01:05 AM   #27
centrlpark08

O Damn IT KEPPER, Why are you acting like an ass lately? Can we all just get along?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:14 AM   #28
kepper

sorry park, im getting carried away. ill chill. check out my first thread!
Old 02-08-2003, 03:06 AM   #29
LRB
Guru

Kepper I don't know why you're posting like a spoiled child who have been called on the carpet by an adult, unless that is the case. Respect here like most places is earned. But a couple of goods posts is usually all that is necessary. However going around attacking respected memebers with juvenile tirades will earn you lots of disrespect. Post intelligent and insiteful posts and you'll quickly gain the respect you talked about. No need to get even 100 posts in. But if you post mindless drivel and blatantly attack other members don't look for respect here.