Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

OK. Some people didn't like my last question, so here is another one.

"What are the Mavs doing right?"

They must be doing something right. It can't be all doom and gloom here in Mavdom. They DO have that, unpopular, best record in the regular season, that no one wants to talk about, yet sits around taking up space in our subconscious.

What the Mavs have done wrong, and are doing wrong, has been innumerated ad nauseum for probably over two years, for some reason, the entire length of the Mavs current success. That success has bred dissatisfaction. The record says the Mavs are doing SOMETHING right, maybe more than one, somethings. What is it?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
FlyinGK22

FlyinGK22 is on a distinguished road

being tenacious and putting up a lot of points on the board. we also are a pretty good clutch team when it comes down to the wire. as they say, its not over til its over.
Rank: #1 in Midwest Division, #1 in Western Conference, #1 in the NBA

Next game: Sun, Feb 23 @ Wizards
FlyinGK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
Neger Kalle
Banned

Neger Kalle is on a distinguished road

<< OK. Some people didn't like my last question, so here is another one.

&quot;What are the Mavs doing right?&quot;

>>

They got this &quot;G-E-R-M-A-N&quot; dude...

Neger Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Hopefully there using the bad press from media and players to drive them to stuff it back down there throats come playoff time.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #5
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

They are doing lots of things right. The problem is that as many things that they are doing right still does not make up for what they do wrong, at least against the big boys.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:16 PM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< They are doing lots of things right. The problem is that as many things that they are doing right still does not make up for what they do wrong, at least against the big boys. >>

And your point is?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

<< They are doing lots of things right. The problem is that as many things that they are doing right still does not make up for what they do wrong, at least against the big boys. >>

You learn how to crawl before you learn how to leap. Let's take it one step at a time.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:51 PM   #8
Nellie
Golden Member

<< And your point is? >>

6-7 against last year's western playoff teams

1-4 against Kings/Lakers/Spurs
Old 02-07-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<<

<< And your point is? >>

6-7 against last year's western playoff teams

1-4 against Kings/Lakers/Spurs
>>

Those are numbers showing our record agains the Kings/Lakers/and Spurs. But I don't see a point. It is a portion of our regular season. We're still making our goal of getting at least the #2 seed in the playoffs. We're still getting the rest we need for our players. These are the 2 goals the team deemed most important to obtain to make it out of the 2nd round. So your point is what exactly?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:04 PM   #10
Nellie
Golden Member

Nothing. Everything is good.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #11
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

Now whenever i watch a game, I see Nash dribbling alot and walking it up court. I dont think thats the way the mavs play and their troubles right now is probably defending the paint.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:45 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

- They have the best record in the league. That means that they are very consisitent.
- Looks like they will win their division and probably get the first seed in the playoffs. Hopefully that will get them to the WCF.
- They have improved their defense from last in the league to top 10.
- They have incorporated nick and raef into the team.
- They have a new player named bradley that they didn't have last year.
- They have begun to make dirk the first option when they need a basket.
- They have done it all with about as much injuries as any of the top teams but sacremento.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #13
centrlpark08

centrlpark08 is on a distinguished road

Dude, I read what you just said and thought about it. All the things that you just said got me thinking, &quot;What IF&quot; najera was playing. Would we have the record we have today or would it be alot better? What would have been the results of those games we lost?
Old 02-07-2003, 08:46 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually spent the last 30 minutes or so trying to track the mavs rebounding with/without eddie. I'm starting to get a real feeling that the mavs have gotten better defensively but thier rebounding (especially team rebounding) seems as bad as last years.

What I noticed was that even though we were still getting outrebounded with eddie it was very rarely by double digits. Without him there were more than a few double digits and even +20 rebounding disadvantages.

If anyone knows a place where ALL of the team stats are located that can be loaded into excel would be appreciated.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-07-2003, 08:52 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

Another one that is interesting and I think pertinenet. Of course the competition is different. (Added Raef)

Finley's rebounding averages and team record:
November 7.2, 14-1, 2.7
December 6.3, 10-4, 3.9
January 4.3, 11-4 , 7.13
Feburary 4.0, 2-1, 3.7

I'm not trying to make this an indictment of finley perse, but it's a pretty steady drop in both rebounding and winning percentage. Again the teams are different. But it does bring back up what we really need is a better backcourt (sf, sg, pg) and not necessarily a better frontcourt.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #16
David
Golden Member

My point was &quot;what are the Mavs doing right&quot; and then, here you are dissing the team again. Saying, &quot;The problem is that as many things that they are doing right still does not make up for what they do wrong, at least against the big boys&quot; and COMPLETELY dismissing WHATEVER the Mavs have done right when the object of the post was to bring to light what has been positive, rather than accentuating the negative. This team IS doing somethings right or they wouldn't have the best record in the league.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:11 PM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main thing the Mavs have done right this year (for the most part) is take care of the teams they are &quot;supposed to beat.&quot;

Those teams likely won't be facing the Mavericks when the playoffs start, but it's still a positive because it gives the Mavs the highest possible seed in the postseason and allows them to take on theoretically weaker teams in the first two rounds.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #18
kepper

kepper is on a distinguished road

i think the best thing that the mavs are doing this year is not letting a bad first half affect them. they constantly find themselves in a hole but fight out of it. that is important. (lets forget about the la game though.)
Old 02-07-2003, 11:26 PM   #19
Nellie
Golden Member

<< My point was &quot;what are the Mavs doing right&quot; and then, here you are dissing the team again. Saying, &quot;The problem is that as many things that they are doing right still does not make up for what they do wrong, at least against the big boys&quot; and COMPLETELY dismissing WHATEVER the Mavs have done right when the object of the post was to bring to light what has been positive, rather than accentuating the negative. This team IS doing somethings right or they wouldn't have the best record in the league. >>

I'll play along then.

-top scoring in the league, 2nd year running
-improved passing game
-improved rotations
-improved defense

I guess we can pretend that all these &quot;right&quot; things without an interior game and rebounding are good enough but you are just fooling yourself. If you think I am full of crap, fine. But let's be sure to have this conversation again in May.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:27 PM   #20
i.liek.basketball

i.liek.basketball is on a distinguished road

i.liek.basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:43 PM   #21
David
Golden Member

<< I guess we can pretend that all these &quot;right&quot; things without an interior game and rebounding are good enough but you are just fooling yourself. If you think I am full of crap, fine. But let's be sure to have this conversation again in May. >>

Once again, the Mavs have to be doing something right to have the record they have, now, not in May. I'm not talking about May. Are they doing it with mirrors? Can a 38-10 team not be doing SOMETHING right?
Old 02-08-2003, 04:40 PM   #22
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs are doing many things right. And a lot of them have been mentioned above. But just because they are number 1 in scoring doesn't mean they can't improve in that area. For example: If a team scores 100 points a game, but gets them by shooting jumpshots and only averages 12 FT attempts a game... would you take that over a team that averages 100 points a game by a team that goes inside and averages 20 FT attempts a game?

While on paper it says they are even, in reality, the two teams aren't. Most people would choose team #2. I know I would. Team #2 is more prepared for the playoffs, because they get easier baskets as well as draw more fouls on the opposing teams.

I see the Mavericks as team #1. While they have a good offense, it will hurt them by not drawing fouls and not getting easy opportunities at the line. And while their offense is good... I want it to be better.

The defense has definitely improved over last year. A big part of that is the improvement of Dirk's defense, and the playing time of Shawn Bradley. But I do believe it canm be even better. Forget about the number of point the Mavs give up. The Mavs need added pressure on shooters, and aggressive fouls. Too many times against the elite teams, we do not close out on the open man. Peja was a prime example in the 1st quarter last week. While he may still hit some shots if a man was in his face, the **percentage** of him hitting the shots will drop. And if you are going to foul a player (especially in the paint), get your money's worth. Raef did an excellent jon of getting his money's worth against Bibby the other night. But Raef and Bradley **rarely** foul that way inside. Too many times our two centers shy away from the contact rather than dishing it out.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote