Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #1761
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Stay of execution...nice!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #1762
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

We tapped that ass!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #1763
GuerillaBlack
Golden Member

GuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to beholdGuerillaBlack is a splendid one to behold

I did not want to post in this thread to jinx the Stars. Glad they won!
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #1764
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Don't think they will pull out the series, but good for them at defending our home rink. Marty still seemed shaky, or at least it looked that way. Not the same 60+ blockshot goalie from the last series. Still have my way oversized Morrow T-shirt.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #1765
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well..that was fun. If only to send the throngs of Wings fans home a little agitated from the AAC.

I'm glad the last Stars game for me at the AAC this year was a win. The fans deserved a little love.

One last happy night at least for this playoff run, assuring the Stars will win more games than they will have lost this playoff year. (9-8, most likely)

Good job boys, and thanks.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-14-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #1766
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Well..that was fun. If only to send the throngs of Wings fans home a little agitated from the AAC.

I'm glad the last Stars game for me at the AAC this year was a win. The fans deserved a little love.

One last happy night at least for this playoff run, assuring the Stars will win more games than they will have lost this playoff year. (9-8, most likely)

Good job boys, and thanks.
You know what I saw at Game 3: a guy with a half-Red Wing and half-Stars jersey. Like the $500 kind too, perfectly half red, half green down the middle. I think I puked a little in my mouth. But it's still better than than the Wild jerseys.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #1767
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

My only other tickets here in my envelope say "Stanley Cup Finals" on them.

I always look at those and laugh when I get them every year...they weren't so funny a week ago, but they are again now.

Oh well, oh well.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #1768
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

since i have yet to be able to catch a game (), was this kind of a "give me" game to the stars, or was it an actual win? i heard on the radio that the wings were gonna sit some of their guys....

Last edited by mkat; 05-14-2008 at 11:34 PM.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #1769
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
since i have yet to be able to catch a game (), was this kind of a "give me" game to the stars, or was it an actual win? i heard on the radio that the wings were gonna sit some of their guys....
I'm pretty sure Datsyuk and Zetterberg were playing the majority of the 3rd period...So...I don't know about that.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 AM   #1770
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Datsyuk and Zetterberg were playing the majority of the 3rd period...So...I don't know about that.
ok, like i said...didn't get to watch, and i was gone all night. very happy with the outcome, even if it is just a stay of execution.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #1771
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Since I don't feel like duplicating my efforts this morning, here is my post for hockeyanalysis.com

Quote:
Put away your brooms, the Stars sucked it up and gave us what I suspect is one last celebration last night, defeating the Red Wings 3-1. They were out-shot, out-chanced, and “out-face-offed” (I’m sure that’s a word, don’t look it up) but not out-goal-tended as Marty was good…and lucky. Both teams hit the post. Who are we to complain?

Last night was about celebrating the post-season for Stars fans, the entire post-season. We were going to give them a nice round of applause anyway, it was nice to give them one after a win. A Conference Final, and hockey coming up on May 17th should still be viewed as a huge positive for this franchise. We were all hoping and praying for a first round win, and we got a lot more. This is a good experience for the youngsters, and hopefully will keep some of our old horses motivated thinking maybe they can do something next year.

As far as the hockey went…the Stars had a lot of good chances they didn’t capitalize on in the first period, just like the other games, but they were able to hold it together on the defensive end this time. Still, the Wings are dominating them and it’s plain to see that the Stars are beaten and tired. The Stars have quite a few injuries they’re playing though, I think. If the Wings had Franzen last night it would’ve been over early. Watching Cleary try to do his job in front of Marty is a joke compared to the way the “Mule” does it.

On the no-goal call: It was a terrible call. “Butt in the crease?” That’s stupid. But it’s also a good example of “what goes around comes around.” Holmstrum could have been called for far worse several times in game 1, and wasn’t. He also could have been called for interference on the play right before that non-goal last night, and wasn’t. Why cheating is allowed in some games and not others is a mystery to me (and the Wings), but it’s not going to change the outcome of the series.

—–

Here is a list of some people who had less ice time than Toby Petersen:

Mike Modano
Brad Richards
Mike Ribeiro
Hagman, Grossman, on and on…

He’s playing on the PK, he’s playing on the PP. He played against Datsyuk and Zetterberg last night. Do they think he’s that good? Or is he just a fresh pair of legs that’s fighting for his job next year? Probably the latter. The Stars are beat up pretty badly, and he’s reaping the benefits. Also, Tipp’s trying to consolidate the talent to two lines, leaving more time for guys like Petersen. But still…the guy does 2 things every night that make me want to take up smoking. And now he’s a 20 minute guy? The playoffs are a strange animal.

The Stars will lick their wounds and fly back up to Detroit. Push the tee times back to Monday, boys. One more kick in the groin coming for you on Saturday.
And one other thing...it was nice to see Zubov to Modano for that goal last night. I said to myself as I was standing up for the goal celebration, "I wonder if we'll ever see this again." Mike Modano is considering retirement more than people realize, I've heard.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-15-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #1772
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Flaco,

Like you that was a fun game to be at and to celebrate a fine season/post-season.

I am excited about the youth on this club and see the hope of building on this for next year...but as a fan, I have to believe!!!

It's one shift, one perioed, one game at a time!!!

I noticed the two teams who have lost a 3-0 lead in the NHL playoffs are the Red Wings and Penguins...and of course the two times it has happened they where 33 years apart, and of course as has been noted in the back alleys...it's been 33 years since the last time this has happened.

Last night, was perhaps the best game the Stars have played this series, thus the outcome of a 3-1 victory. The flow of the game was different, the Stars appeared to maintain possession better...they actually looked like they could skate with Detroit.

The Red Wings where unable to keep the puck for long periods of time as the Stars where blocking shots, passes and actually getting takeaways...then to boot...the Stars where winning face-offs.

The Red Wings streak is over...now the Stars have one game...if they can step it up one more level, then they have a shot on Saturday...I've got to keep the faith!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #1773
MavsMandy

MavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really niceMavsMandy is just really nice

Quote:
And one other thing...it was nice to see Zubov to Modano for that goal last night. I said to myself as I was standing up for the goal celebration, "I wonder if we'll ever see this again." Mike Modano is considering retirement more than people realize, I've heard.
was thinking this myself last night, and cheered extra loud (not that i didn't have plenty of incentive to be going crazy, what with it being the gamewinner and all). i'll be sad to see mikey mo retire--and am hoping that this playoff run has convinced him that he's got one more season left in the tank.
MavsMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #1774
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
The Red Wings streak is over...now the Stars have one game...if they can step it up one more level, then they have a shot on Saturday...I've got to keep the faith!!!
I like this guy

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #1775
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

CBC is reporting that Franzen is out for game 5 as well...that's good for Dallas, if they are to have a small chance in hell.

Now if only Zetterberg were out, we'd be in business.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #1776
Caseman
Golden Member

I hope these 3 goals got in Osgood's head. Break him and the Stars have a chance, not a big one, but a chance at the impossible.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #1777
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Penguins found out the same thing the Wings did tonight: It's hard to sweep an NHL team.

It turns out, they pay their players too.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #1778
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

That was sweet watching the Flyers pounce on the Pens in the 1st Period...then the random acts of violence, climaxed with a nice Hatcher fight at the end!!!

I'm hoping to see our Stars pull off something similar at the Joe.

It's time to shake the Joe jinx...enough is enough...put the pucking puck in the net and then beat the puck out of the Red Wings!!!

By tomorrow's face-off, I'll be foaming at the mouth!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #1779
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So, someone told me there is a game today.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #1780
mkat
Platinum Member

thank you trevor daly.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #1781
mkat
Platinum Member

touching someone is now a penalty....interesting...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #1782
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

These players are amazing. You can really be thankful that all this talent is united in your domestic league. You're watching greatness all over the place.
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #1783
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Who is this man who has stolen that 39 jersey?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #1784
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

20 more minutes

safe is death
Old 05-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #1785
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
20 more minutes

safe is death
truth.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #1786
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

These fans can't just let the Detroit magic speak for itself. They have to taunt Turco...

I understand it's fun, but they're making fun of a very proud man...

And they are also tauning the hockey gods.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #1787
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Are the Stars planning on winning a single face-off in the 3rd?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #1788
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Are the Stars planning on winning a single face-off in the 3rd?
As I've said numerous times, faceoffs are the reasons we're in this hole. They out-drew us in the first three games 105-60. They only beat us 26-23 in Game 4, by far the closest it's been to this point (35-21, 39-16, 31-23).
Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #1789
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
As I've said numerous times, faceoffs are the reasons we're in this hole. They out-drew us in the first three games 105-60. They only beat us 26-23 in Game 4, by far the closest it's been to this point (35-21, 39-16, 31-23).
Face-offs and the inability to control the puck for more than 4-5 seconds at a time.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #1790
LonghornDub

Damn Morrow, that was so close.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #1791
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Face-offs and the inability to control the puck for more than 4-5 seconds at a time.
Those two things are related. We are unable to GET the puck in positions to gain meaningful control of it. Particularly on power plays. Every stop during our power plays, they get the draw and waste 20 seconds. One of the things that the NBC guys have been commented on is that perhaps Detroit is "cheating" the faceoffs. I don't quite understand the details, but they've spent a long time talking about it.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #1792
LonghornDub

Related to an extent, but face-offs have nothing to do with why the Stars can't control the puck for more than a couple seconds even when its been 3-4 minutes since the last face-off.

I feel very fortunate that the Stars are up right now.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #1793
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

What the hell, how did that Red Wing get away with that cross check to Morrow's face?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #1794
LonghornDub

What a dirty cross-check by Draper they just showed. That's bush league.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #1795
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

2 minutes, boys... just hold on.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #1796
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

DUMB Ericsson. Why did you shoot that in before you got to the center line? Dammit. That was 15-20 seconds you coulda wasted.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #1797
LonghornDub

Face-offs 38 to 19....that is so f*cking weak.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #1798
Dim499
Platinum Member

hahahahaha

I love Lunquist

Last edited by Dim499; 05-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #1799
LonghornDub

Icing on Detroit. That should be game.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #1800
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Yes, that's a fortunate icing.

YEEE-HAW!

TWO LEFT, GUYS. TWO LEFT.