Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Step 1: Brunson & #26 for Mitchell Robinson & #11

Step 2: THJ, Bertans, and Kleber for Westbrook

Those are two realistic moves that address needs and give us long term flexibility while keeping us competitive in the short term. Getting a pick and roll lob threat for Doncic and an interior presence on defense is half the battle.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
According to former Nets capologist and ESPN financial guru Bobby Marks, however, such as deal is a virtual mathematical impossibility. Because both Robinson and Brunson were second-round picks in 2018 who signed minimum contracts, they will be considered base-year compensation players. An equal trade of salary money can’t be done, even if the players’ new actual wages match exactly.

Another issue is the Mavericks are so close to the hard cap even without Brunson. According to collective bargaining agreement rules, Dallas can’t go over the $157 million hard cap in a sign-and-trade and is already at $153 million without Brunson. The Mavericks would have to trade other players first.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/mitche...ks-pipe-dream/
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #3
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
According to former Nets capologist and ESPN financial guru Bobby Marks, however, such as deal is a virtual mathematical impossibility. Because both Robinson and Brunson were second-round picks in 2018 who signed minimum contracts, they will be considered base-year compensation players. An equal trade of salary money can’t be done, even if the players’ new actual wages match exactly.

Another issue is the Mavericks are so close to the hard cap even without Brunson. According to collective bargaining agreement rules, Dallas can’t go over the $157 million hard cap in a sign-and-trade and is already at $153 million without Brunson. The Mavericks would have to trade other players first.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/mitche...ks-pipe-dream/
So what you are saying is the Mavs squandering of free agency potential in 2019 where they left dry powder on the table and the total miss on all 3 of their 2020 draft choices, this team is basically screwed in terms of a young core team building effort around Luka. It is Luka and Brunson baby all the way until Luka leaves in 4 years.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
So what you are saying is the Mavs squandering of free agency potential in 2019 where they left dry powder on the table and the total miss on all 3 of their 2020 draft choices, this team is basically screwed in terms of a young core team building effort around Luka. It is Luka and Brunson baby all the way until Luka leaves in 4 years.
Donnie Nelson really fucked us
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I would still trade Brunson. I know people here think I’m an idiot, but I don’t see Luka and Brunson winning a championship together, the same way Dame and CJ couldn’t get over the hump. They’re just too similar with similar deficiencies.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would still trade Brunson. I know people here think I’m an idiot, but I don’t see Luka and Brunson winning a championship together, the same way Dame and CJ couldn’t get over the hump. They’re just too similar with similar deficiencies.
I don't think you're an idiot, but you have to keep Brunson as an asset. And our cap situation makes a S&T pretty difficult.

If they don't work out together, then you move him by the deadline or the season after.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:41 PM   #7
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He's a free agent right so a trade would have to be a sign and trade. Makes it more difficult. But if he happens to want to go to a team that is willing to trade us a player we happen to want, sure.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #8
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its damn near impossible to do a sign and trade. Mavs are already near the cap without Brunson, so they only option where he isnt on the team next year is to:

Let him walk, and get nothing in return, and still not have money for free agents.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #9
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
According to Stein, Bulls guard Zach LaVine is a potential target that intrigues the Mavericks, who apparently like the idea of adding another wing slasher and scorer, particularly after seeing how effective Spencer Dinwiddie was this season alongside Doncic.

However, LaVine is a free agent this summer and it would be a challenge for the Mavs to sign-and-trade for him and re-sign Jalen Brunson, since team salary would be well beyond the projected tax apron — any club that acquires a player via sign-and-trade becomes hard-capped at the apron for the rest of that league year. If acquiring LaVine isn’t realistic, Dallas will likely pivot to other options on the wing, Stein says.

Continue reading
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...92efb95b7c01ea
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

Quote:
This is 100% correct unless Brunson agrees to come off bench as 6th man
Dinwiddie starting with Luka is way to go then Brunson off bench as Vinnie Johnson type microwave scorer when Luka sits
DIRK LEGIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:42 PM   #11
beempty

beempty has a spectacular aura aboutbeempty has a spectacular aura about

deleted

Last edited by beempty; 05-30-2022 at 11:53 PM.
beempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:42 PM   #12
beempty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRK LEGIONS View Post
This is 100% correct unless Brunson agrees to come off bench as 6th man
Dinwiddie starting with Luka is way to go then Brunson off bench as Vinnie Johnson type microwave scorer when Luka sits
Absolutely. As constructed, JB is the 6th man. Dinwiddie or THJ start over him.

The problem is that if we don't pull off a SnT, that significantly weakens his value, and we're paying big money for a 6th man that we can't trade for a big piece. He has to start if we pay him, and that will never get us over the hump.

I think what's really going on is that the Mavs talk big all season/offseason about how he's their #1 priority, but they go to him privately and tell him they want to work out a trade to his preferred destination, and if they can't he walks (the more likely scenario).

THJ or Dinwiddie take his spot in the starting lineup, the other comes off the bench, and we more or less have the same squad as last year looking for an upgrade via trade.

Last edited by beempty; 05-30-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Those are two realistic moves that address needs and give us long term flexibility while keeping us competitive in the short term. Getting a pick and roll lob threat for Doncic and an interior presence on defense is half the battle.
Stein interviewed Cuban after the game and without exactly saying we're keeping Brunson, well, he strongly inferred it saying we can give him more money and he wants to be here.

And any idea of Westbrook on this team, no sir. no.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:33 PM   #14
DIRK LEGIONS

DIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to allDIRK LEGIONS is a name known to all

Quote:

Robinson never healthy hard pass I seen him play every night here in NYC not worth the trade
DIRK LEGIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:53 PM   #15
beempty

Quote:

lol holy shit this is terrible
Old 05-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #16
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beempty View Post
lol holy shit this is terrible
Not going to lie -- you using your third post since 2010 to shit on my idea made me lol.