Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 09-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Man Behind The De Palma Smear: Mark Cuban Declares War On The Troops

This just got linked on Drudge, so I figure it might as well be posted here...

Cuban Declares War On The Troops
September 2nd, 2007 Posted By Pat Dollard.

Mark Cuban

Billionaire Mark Cuban has decided to put all of his weight behind a campaign to smear US troops in Iraq as “monsters’. Cuban has decided that De Palma’s film “Redacted” must be seen as the cornerstone of his and De Palma’s self-declared anti-victory campaign against America and her troops fighing in Iraq. Cuban’s company Magnolia Pictures will be bringing this propganda campaign to a theater near you this winter. According to a source close to Cuban, the decision for Magnolia to develop, finance and distribute the film was personally made by Çuban. Cuban has a full producer credit on the film, and DePalma shot it on HiDef video at Cuban’s request, in order for it to qualify as fodder for Cuban’s hi-def cable channel. So far neither he or DePalma have explained how they can be “bringing the truth of the Iraq war to the American people”, as Louie DePalma has said, when neither of them have ever been to Iraq, filmed any of “Redacted” in Iraq, or spent one minute with any soldier in Iraq. Clearly they are only bringing you their imagined propagandists’ reality of Iraq. Both had the opportunity to go, both declined. They have chosen the coward’s path in a quest for legitimacy as spokesmen for the Iraq war, and as such both have failed in that quest. Indeed, they are left standing as laughingstocks. Their reach has exceeded their grasp. Cuban is a jet-set, armchair “Iraq Truther” who made sure not to have his private jet stop anywhere near Iraq. But he and DePalma are more than anxious to bring you the “reality of the Iraq war”. LMFAO.

1580333.jpg
DePalma chilling in five star luxury while debuting his film to Europeans, nowhere near Iraq

( In case you haven’t heard of him, billionaire Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks and supports the campaign against Global Warming by travelling in his private Gulf Stream V jet. He also decided to distribute the 9-11 paranoid conspiracy “Truther” film, “Loose Change”.)

DePalma said that going in it was his intention to make a film that would nauseate the American people, and thereby lead to a US withdrawal from Iraq. Well the only way for him to pull that off is if his film makes the case that the anomolous rape it fictionalizes is not actually an anomoly, but a “typical” snapshot of the US military’s behavior. In short, he would have to make his “troops-as-monsters” conceit appear to be typical of the troops, not atypical. This reveals a desire to create something that is nothing short of a willful and intentional smear built upon a lie. It also means that he decided not to look at Iraq for what it was, but to find something - anything - in it that would allow him to advance his propaganda campaign. Well Louie DePalma gave the game away when he confessed his excitement at his initial discovery of the rape story: “I knew I had a story!”. Now if that doesn’t mean “A story to suit my propaganda interests!”, then what does it mean?

The best defense DePalma has been able to muster about the lack of direct military reality in his film is “I had plenty of real stuff to put in but I didn’t put it in, and can’t show it to you to prove it, because my lawyers won’t let me”. That kind of bullshit pr spin may fly in Hollywood, but it isn’t flying here on earth. If you’ve got the goods, Louie, show them. It would appear quite clear why you haven’t already.

None of the troops in Mr. DePalma’s film are real. They are as imaginary as he and Mr. Cuban’s balls.

Close to a year ago, Daily Kos ran a featured post declaring that it was time to attack the troops if the anti-victory movement was to succeed. Clearly DePalma and Cuban took the cue.

More to follow…

http://patdollard.com/2007/09/02/the...-in-harms-way/
Old 09-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good god...I'm starting to turn into the 'ape. I wrote cubes about the loose changed bullcrap and I don't know what happened with it.

Sooner or later, his video ties are going to effect the players on his basketball team.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Remember he did create a fund to help wounded troops, maybe he think he is a artist now and wants to support weirdos.

http://www.fallenpatriotfund.org/
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's actually quite a bit of stuff that cubes and the mavs do that I like. Here was a part of a note I sent cubes about the loosechange crap.

Quote:
There are some things about the mavericks and your stewardship of them that I really love. I love the fallenpatriot fund you promote which I've contributed to. I love getting a haircut at the arena and giving a contribution to our armed forces. I love the night where the front row is filled with our heroes, I love the color guard. I love the fact that of all of the teams, the mavs put their hands over their heart to show respect for the US.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, those are all very cool things. And I can get a sense of just how much you appreciate them. In other words, they have obviously been very effective in your case, as well as, I'm sure, the case of many others.

You do start to wonder, though, how genuine it all is, coming from a huckster non-paralleled such as Mark Cuban. I guess it's kinda like wondering if Karl Rove is really a born-again Christian.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Dude, those are all very cool things. And I can get a sense of just how much you appreciate them. In other words, they have obviously been very effective in your case, as well as, I'm sure, the case of many others.

You do start to wonder, though, how genuine it all is, coming from a huckster non-paralleled such as Mark Cuban. I guess it's kinda like wondering if Karl Rove is really a born-again Christian.
If you are cynical about it, yea, but in general I am not cynical about peoples motives.

I think cubes is a very good salesman and certainly thinks about customers. But I've never gotten the feeling nor is there any proof that I know of, of him using devious methods with his customers. When I have a problem, his staff is right there to fix it. If I email cubes about something, his folks have contacted me about it.

With respect to Karl Rove, if he says he is then that pretty much should be it, shouldnt' it. Seems that's pretty personal and a gratuitious smear, not backed up by much. Or I guess it could be like wondering if you are really a mavs fan the way you hate the owner and fawn over other teams.

If your definition of huckster is to sell shoddy goods, I don't agree with you. He's an aggressive salesman, but I see no evidence of deceit.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to reserve judgment on Cuban based on support for this film until after I've seen it, or at least read a little more about it than just Pat Dollard's opinion.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
If you are cynical about it, yea, but in general I am not cynical about peoples motives.

I think cubes is a very good salesman and certainly thinks about customers. But I've never gotten the feeling nor is there any proof that I know of, of him using devious methods with his customers. When I have a problem, his staff is right there to fix it. If I email cubes about something, his folks have contacted me about it.

With respect to Karl Rove, if he says he is then that pretty much should be it, shouldnt' it. Seems that's pretty personal and a gratuitious smear, not backed up by much. Or I guess it could be like wondering if you are really a mavs fan the way you hate the owner and fawn over other teams.

If your definition of huckster is to sell shoddy goods, I don't agree with you. He's an aggressive salesman, but I see no evidence of deceit.
I'm just sayin', you should judge a man by his actions, not his words. And sometimes, you should keep one hand on your wallet, if you know what I mean.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'm just sayin', you should judge a man by his actions, not his words. And sometimes, you should keep one hand on your wallet, if you know what I mean.
I believe these are all actions that I highlighted.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what to think any more.

It should be noted that this has nothing to do with basketball, oh by the way.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Yikes--

Still--Mark has a history of supporting American troops--more so than all of the other NBA owners combined.

I read about the movie--from what I read, I doubt that I will watch it.

God I don'tknow what to think about this...
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Mark Cuban answers:
See his blog for the full entry.

Quote:
The movie is fully pro Troops. The hero of the movie is a soldier who stands
up for what is right in the face of adversity.
Quote:
And to pre empt some of the stupidity coming from bloggers, I am fully Pro
Troops, Pro America.
Quote:
And to anyone who has ever questioned my patriotism or love for this country, f&ck you.
(my censoring)

I heart Mark Cuban.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

Well by jiggers, that's mark for ya'.

However Mark has to know that if DePalma is openly saying that it's an anti-troop film, it's going to be seen as that way.

Last edited by dude1394; 09-05-2007 at 09:55 PM.