Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me think of Hales. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We've talked some about Davis, but I'd forgotten about him. Wolves would get a very nice pickup if Cleveland doesn't match.

Wolves sign Ricky Davis to offer sheet

Added: 17th August, 2002

Steve Aschburner of the Pioneer Press reports that the Timberwolves have taken the plunge with Ricky Davis. The Cleveland free agent signed an offer sheet with the T-wolves on Friday night. As a restricted free agent, the Cavaliers will have the opportunity to match the offer and keep Davis.

Terms of the Wolves' offer were not disclosed, but the deal is believed to be for the NBA's full mid-level salary cap exception, worth $34.7 million over six years. The Cavaliers have 15 days to match the offer. Cleveland management has sent mixed signals in recent weeks about its plans for Davis. The team traded guard Wesley Person on draft night in part to free more playing time for Davis. But earlier this week, General Manager Jim Paxson three times evaded a reporter's question when asked if he would match a full-exception offer to the four-year veteran.

The signing is the Wolves' first significant move of the offseason. If the Wolves land Davis, the move would put them well over the estimated $52 million threshold for the NBA's looming luxury tax.

Old 08-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the Cavs will match. He's a good up and coming SF.

If the Wolves get Ricky Davis, then the Mavs really need to pray for Lewis. Davis would have been my third choice after Harpring and Redd.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:53 PM   #3
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Surely the Cavs will match. He's a good up and coming SF.

If the Wolves get Ricky Davis, then the Mavs really need to pray for Lewis. Davis would have been my third choice after Harpring and Redd.
>>

I agree actually I had Davis ahead all of those guys but I put him in the list of not happening right behind Bibby and Kandi. Yea Cavs will match and I dont think he will be a twolve. Only raeson Cavs havent signed him yet is because he is asking for to much. But would this make Davis there starting small foward or backup?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:59 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Davis has serious hops. If they don't match the GM should be fired.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

Everyone is making moves except the Mavs, what are they doing? If the Wolves signs this kid, then they &quot;could&quot; be a top 4 team in the west next year. Don't forget how they started with a healthy Brandon last year, and Ricky Davis will only make them even better IMO. Of course I am not saying they will be better than the Mavs but it surely wont be as easy as last year in the playoffs. I sure hope the Cavs match that offer, we do not need Davis in Minnesota.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Cavs would match any offer to Davis.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:09 PM   #7
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Everyone is making moves except the Mavs, what are they doing? If the Wolves signs this kid, then they &quot;could&quot; be a top 4 team in the west next year. Don't forget how they started with a healthy Brandon last year, and Ricky Davis will only make them even better IMO. Of course I am not saying they will be better than the Mavs but it surely wont be as easy as last year in the playoffs. I sure hope the Cavs match that offer, we do not need Davis in Minnesota. >>

Did you forget, the Mavs won 57 games last year and, so far, have only lost Buck. Buck was injured a lot and Raef and NVE came in the middle of the year so the team should improve by having them from the start. When Wang and Najera re-sign and maybe the Euro rookie takes Bucks place, then the Mavs should AT LEAST be as good as last year.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 10:18 PM   #8
Red White and Blue

Oh I get it now, the avg fan is content with losing terribly in the 2nd round for the 3rd straight year. Do you not realize that some teams that didn't do as well as the Mavs last year have improved a great deal?
Old 08-17-2002, 11:52 PM   #9
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

<< Do you not realize that some teams that didn't do as well as the Mavs last year have improved a great deal? >>

Well I sure hope so, otherwise, it would be the first year in the NBA that ALL the management was sleeep'in at the wheel!
Old 08-18-2002, 12:09 AM   #10
Red White and Blue

huh?
Old 08-18-2002, 12:24 AM   #11
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

<< huh? >>

'Kinda like riding a harley', if I have to explain it, you couldn't possibly understand.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2002, 12:25 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

hahaha
Old 08-18-2002, 12:40 AM   #13
Red White and Blue

Yea a little english would help rather nicely too IMO.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:53 AM   #14
David
Golden Member

<< Oh I get it now, the avg fan is content with losing terribly in the 2nd round for the 3rd straight year. Do you not realize that some teams that didn't do as well as the Mavs last year have improved a great deal? >>

You watched a different 2nd round series than I did. The ONLY game that the Mavs seemed to be out of, was the last one. I thought the Mavs were discouraged in the last game. Had the Mavs played a little defense, there would have been a different outcome.

I thought this was the 2nd year the Mavs had made the playoffs after a decade of not. I can't see into the future, so I can't state my opinion as fact, on this upcoming season, as you seem to be able to. Since the Mavs HAVE IMPROVED EVERY YEAR SINCE NELSON TOOK OVER I'm going to go ahead and watch, without tears, as Nelson attempts to do it again.

What teams, &quot;that didn't do as well as the Mavs last year have improved a great deal&quot;? I must have missed something. A few teams in the league have made moves but who improved? Maybe the Clippers, but they were going to be better THIS year without bringing in Miller but they lost Miles to do it. It's arguable if ANY of the others improved substantially.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:56 AM   #15
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

David, the Clippers also lost McGinnis.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #16
David
Golden Member

<< David, the Clippers also lost McGinnis. >>

McGinnis is a shooting guard in a PG's body. They signed some Euro who is supposed to be a PG in a SG's body. It may be a wash. They still haven't signed Olowokandi either but he pretty much has no choice but to sign at least a one year contract. To me, the deal with the Clippers is all the ill will, as far as contracts go, that Sterling is doing by not handing out exorbitant contracts. The Clippers will probably continue to lose players in the future. As far as next year goes, I see the Clippers in the playoffs. If they are not, I'm surprised
Old 08-18-2002, 01:49 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

In today's NBA, you've got to be able to hit the outside shot. The Clips are one of the worst perimeter shooting teams in the league. They've got tons of athletic youngsters, but without the ability to keep the defense honest, I don't see them improving much over last season.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Rotoworld.com is reporting that Cleveland will match the offer sheet as expected.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:35 PM   #19
Red White and Blue

Good news, thanks Drbio!