Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-07-2002, 08:24 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

KNICKS, DOLEAC TALK AGAIN

By MARC BERMAN

August 7, 2002 -- Keon Clark is close to signing with Sacramento, Mark Blount is expected to sign with the Nuggets, Jarron Collins has re-upped with Utah, Rasho Nesterovic is about to get his first offer from Minnesota and Jerome James was re-signed by Seattle.

And Michael Doleac is still not a Knick.

With precious other free-agent options, Knicks GM Scott Layden attempts today to break the impasse with Doleac's agent, Glen Schwartzman, when they resume contract negotiations. Talks heated up last week but broke down well short of a deal.

While the 6-11 Doleac is still odds-on to become a Knick, it's no guarantee. As one league source put it, "It's still up in the air."

Layden wants this cleared up one way or another by this week as he heads to the Hamptons on vacation Monday, with or without Doleac in the fold. The Knicks are looking for a three-year deal and it is believed Doleac's agent is trying to squeeze out a fourth year. The Knicks were prepared to offer Doleac a three-year deal starting at about $2.2M, bringing the total to $7.5M.

If the Doleac signing crashes, one intriguing reserve center who just became a free agent is 7-footer Mikki Moore, whose contract was bought out by Detroit Monday and is available for the minimum $699,000.

Source: Knicks, Doleac Talk Again
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2002, 09:00 PM   #2
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Doleac signed with the Knicks. link
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 09:06 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Keon would bump Pollard to Funderburke's seat on the bench, I think.

Didn't realize the Kings were pursuing him. Hate to see them get one bit stronger.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 09:48 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Thisis no good for the West conference. Another 6 11 guy in here? Its like there bench is full of 6th men. If Mavs sign Lewis and Kings sign Clark then I think this could be the 2 teams in the West Conference Finals. Clark was my most fav guy in this free agency and to see him go to the Kings and help them out is gonna hurt.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:01 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want Keon here at this point, but I'd hate to see him in Sactown as well.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:30 PM   #6
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Nuggets sign Blount to one-year deal

Associated Press
DENVER (AP) _ The Denver Nuggets signed free-agent center Mark Blount to a one-year contract Thursday.

The 7-foot, 250-pound Blount appeared in 44 games for the Boston Celtics last season, his second in the league, and averaged 2.1 points and 1.9 rebounds.

He led the Celtics with 76 blocked shots as a rookie in 2000-01.

The 26-year-old Blount was drafted by the Seattle SuperSonics in the second round of the 1997 draft after his sophomore season at Pittsburgh.

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 05:21 PM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

clark can go smoke pot with she webb.

hopefully, they'll be end up some bad man's boyfriend in jail.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 03:05 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

bump...update:

Kings, Clark close to deal
Added: 11th August, 2002

Martin McNeal of the Sacramento Bee reports that Keon Clark is close to signing with the Kings. Clark and his agent, Jim Mourer, plan to visit Sacramento this week and hope to sign a contract.

"We're coming out this week, and I would anticipate getting something done right then," Mourer said Saturday afternoon. "I wouldn't say that's for sure, but we're excited about it."

Mourer and Clark met with the Kings in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and likely wouldn't be coming back to the West Coast unless there was more business to handle. Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said Friday the team was continuing to talk to free agents but would not comment further.

The Kings have seen the 27-year-old Clark dominate them in rebounding and shot-blocking, two of their weak points. Clark has produced more than a few huge performances, posting career highs of 12 blocks and 22 rebounds.

"They have a good core group of players, and their leadership of Geoff and (Wayne Cooper) and (coach) Rick Adelman is impressive," Mourer said. "They are on their way, and that's definitely something we want to be a part of."

Clark's length, quickness and jumping ability make him a more-than-capable finisher around the basket. Where Adelman finds playing time for him will be a question. At first glance, though, Clark would figure to play in conjunction with starters Vlade Divac and Chris Webber and backup Scot Pollard.

Old 08-13-2002, 12:59 PM   #9
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

This is not good. You heard it from me first...Clark going to the Kings is going to haunt us. They are getting stronger while we sit around taking a huge gamble on something that probably won't happen. I don't like this and am starting to question what the heck is going on over at the AAC.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:38 AM   #10
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Nellie, I have been saying that myself. A lot of the teams around the Mavs have gotten better, yet they are waiting on Lewis. The Lakers still have Kobe and Shaq, and the Kings were better than us and are supposed to add Clark. The Spurs still have the MVP in Duncan, and the little pg who will probably get better than he was last year. The Clippers added Andre Miller, and will look to be healthy this year making them ALOT stronger. The Mavs need to start getting better, because if we go in with the same lineup as last year we might possibly finish outside of the top 4 in the West. Well, we already lost Buckner, and I do not know what's going to happen with Wang or Najera.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:05 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< I agree with you Nellie, I have been saying that myself. A lot of the teams around the Mavs have gotten better, yet they are waiting on Lewis. The Lakers still have Kobe and Shaq, and the Kings were better than us and are supposed to add Clark. The Spurs still have the MVP in Duncan, and the little pg who will probably get better than he was last year. The Clippers added Andre Miller, and will look to be healthy this year making them ALOT stronger. The Mavs need to start getting better, because if we go in with the same lineup as last year we might possibly finish outside of the top 4 in the West. Well, we already lost Buckner, and I do not know what's going to happen with Wang or Najera. >>

I agree tho I dont think we are gonna finish outside of the 4th of the West I think its gonna be a depressing year. Mavs have there vet minimum so I can only pray they use it to get a guy like maybe Oakley. And the sad part about it we arent even 80% ure were going to sign Lewis. Right now im not worried about the Spurs even tho they added Claxton and Barkely who are gonna help termendously the team im worried about is the Kings. Adding Clark is gonna make them have liek waht 4 6th men off the bench? I still think Mavs have probaly the best roster in the NBA maybe with the Kigns in front of us but were going to have to just cancel this LEwis thing if he doesent make up his mind by next week. Im not even sure if losing Buck, Najera, and Wang are worth getting Lewis for. Actually I know its not.

1996-2005
Old 08-14-2002, 12:53 PM   #12
Nellie
Golden Member

According to Hoops, Donyell Marshal has just done a work out for the Bulls and they are going to extend an offer later this week. Chalk up another free agent that can help our team, but will soon no longer be available while we sit around waiting for Lewis to most likely say no.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:53 PM   #13
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Guys, the real SAD part of the Clarke signing is that the contract is 19 million SIX years...CHEAP even with teh Mary-J arrest, this is a bargin. CLarke wanted to win bad enough to take less than others were offering ( I am not sure if this is truth or his new value is now 3 million a year due to the Mary J, but either way Kings add another piece.

IT IS CRITICAL MAVS sign Wang and Eddie.....Lewis will be a great extra in that case IF it happens.

pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:16 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< Guys, the real SAD part of the Clarke signing is that the contract is 19 million SIX years...CHEAP even with teh Mary-J arrest, this is a bargin. CLarke wanted to win bad enough to take less than others were offering ( I am not sure if this is truth or his new value is now 3 million a year due to the Mary J, but either way Kings add another piece.

IT IS CRITICAL MAVS sign Wang and Eddie.....Lewis will be a great extra in that case IF it happens.
>>

Yea I heard abtou the 6year 19 mill but I think he gets to opt out at anytime right? Well Kings got a true bargain this guy I think can easily get over the exception but got much less. He was the guy I had Mavs in mind of getting but well Kings have him now. This is bad news if Mavs dont resign there players and sign Lewis.

1996-2005
Old 08-14-2002, 03:55 PM   #15
Nellie
Golden Member

<< This is bad news if Mavs dont resign there players and sign Lewis. >>

It's bad news no matter what. Clark ripped us apart in both games against Toronto last year which included one of the best dunks of 2001-2002 over Bradley.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:27 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< This is bad news if Mavs dont resign there players and sign Lewis. >>

It's bad news no matter what. Clark ripped us apart in both games against Toronto last year which included one of the best dunks of 2001-2002 over Bradley.
>>

That wasnt a dunk that was a put in. And yea its bad news regardless but Clark is a 11 7 guy and Webber and Peja and Divacs are gonna get there minutes so I doubt Clark will have enough time to kill us to bad. Its bad news tho it makes them even deeper. What is that liek 10 players deep now?

1996-2005
Old 08-15-2002, 03:05 PM   #17
Nellie
Golden Member

I guess technicaly it wasn't a dunk but it was so nasty that he gets credit for it in my mind.

Kings roster:

-Bibby
-Christie
-Predrag
-Webber
-Divac
-Jackson
-Turk
-Wallace
-Clark
-Pollard
-Funderburke
-Cleaves
-Price
-Edwards
-Brown

Pretty damn deep.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:19 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<< I guess technicaly it wasn't a dunk but it was so nasty that he gets credit for it in my mind.

Kings roster:

-Bibby
-Christie
-Predrag
-Webber
-Divac
-Jackson
-Turk
-Wallace
-Clark
-Pollard
-Funderburke
-Cleaves
-Price
-Edwards
-Brown

Pretty damn deep.
>>

-Bibby Nash
-Christie Finley
-Predrag Griffen
-Webber Dirk
-Divac Lafrentz
-Jackson Nick
-Turk Najera
-Wallace TAW
-Clark Esch
-Pollard Bradely
-Funderburke Avery Johnson
-Cleaves
-Price
-Edwards
-Brown

And if we do sign Lewis that makes up just abotu as deep as Kings. We will sign a free agent this season if Lewis falls through. That being said im not too worrie dabout there bench the only 2 people I know will kill us is Turk and Jackson and maybe even Pollard. But being hwo good there starters our I doubt we will see them enough to hurt us.

1996-2005
Old 08-15-2002, 03:27 PM   #19
Nellie
Golden Member

<< And if we do sign Lewis that makes up just abotu as deep as Kings >>

How so? There is no way our bench is as deep as theirs.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:00 PM   #20
Red White and Blue

Red White and Blue is on a distinguished road

Nellie is absolutely right, they have a damn good bench.
Red White and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:40 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< And if we do sign Lewis that makes up just abotu as deep as Kings >>

How so? There is no way our bench is as deep as theirs.
>>

I shouldve said almost as good but they are what 9 players deep? I think u can argue that Mavs are 8 or 9 players deep with Nick, Griffen, Wang, TAW, Avery Johnson and i am assuming Mavs will pick up someone with there vet minimunm names like Russell and Oakley have been throwed out there. The only diference is Mavs bench is full of good players but they are 30 year olds while Kings are full of 20 year olds.

1996-2005