Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-27-2001, 03:29 PM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

In everyone's opinion if Jose Conseco gets to 500 HRs, he'll be in the top 25 all time HR list (Actually he already is), one of three people to make the 40-40 club (40 stolen bases and 40 HR's) and he also made the 30-30 club one year, would he make the hall of fame? Has he done enough to get that prestige here are his career numbers:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

1836 6889 1156 1837 338 14 452 1373 873 1891 199 87 .353 .517 .267

Old 07-27-2001, 04:31 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'd put him the hall just for one play - when the ball bounched off his head for a home run. Man that was great!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 09:22 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

LOL MFFL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2001, 05:29 AM   #4
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

MFFL, that one was funny, that's a great heading goal, I mean a heading homer.
He should have played soccer instead ...

TheKid, that's a great post, I thought you guys almost forgot about him.
so I was going to post the message 'bout him ...
I think Jose deserves the honor.
He is the FIRST player who made the 40-40.
The bottom line is he is still ALIVE !!!
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 11:15 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

His numbers are great, but you gotta question his atheletisim(spelling?). If he makes it in it will only be because of the DH spot. Which I believe is a whole load of crap in itself.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:34 AM   #6
NotEnuffEyesToSee

What's wrong with his athleticism ? and what's wrong with DH spot ?
I still like Edgar Martinez ...
Maybe he's not a good outfielder, but I think he's great ...
It's too late
Old 07-31-2001, 09:46 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

FT, I don't know if I quite agree with that. The last few years, you're right but that's because he's been in the American League with that bogus ass DH position. However in the beginning of his career, he was a threat to steal bases, being part of the 30-30 club and the 40-40 club. That's something even with all the HR's being hit these days people still are having a hard time doing.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:57 AM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I agree...I mean what other player could hit a homerun while playing in the field. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm just saying that the main reason he'll make it is his homerun hitting. But I do think he is a worthy canidate.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:09 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

Ok, just wanted people's opinion, I think if he hits 500 HR's he should.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:23 AM   #10
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

By you saying that it shows my point of how he will get in because of his homeruns.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:25 AM   #11
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

But homeruns, by no means, are easy to come by. I think that 500 should get anyone into the hall of fame.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:52 PM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

That's where I'm coming from there. I was just saying accomplishing those other things shows that he has done more in his career than just hit homeruns like Dale Murphy or Dave Kingman. Those are two that are high up on the all-time HR list, but that's all they did.
Old 08-02-2001, 09:46 AM   #13
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Not just by homeruns, I guess lots of people still like him and think highly of him ...
Has he done anything wrong before ? somethin' like beating his wife sort of things ?
If not, He should make that hall of famer !!!
It's too late
Old 08-02-2001, 10:58 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you obviously don't know much about dale murphy then.
he won several gold gloves...led the league in walks...was a thirty-thirty guy (stolen bases and home runs)...
hit over .300 3 or 4 times (when not many people actually hit over 300..maybe 4-5 a year in each league).

was considered the best fielding outfielder in the national league, had a canon for an arm.......he was often described as a guy that "ran like a deer"...

he's also the youngest guy in national league history to win back to back mvp's...and he was robbed of winning his third in a row..
he's maybe one of the top 3-4 best baseball players in the decade of the 80's..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 08:02 AM   #15
NotEnuffEyesToSee

Murphy3, I just checked out Dale Murphy and found something about him ...
he won the Gold Glove 5 times straight from 1982 to 1986 .
Yeah he was robbed by Ryne Sandberg in MVP ...
and In '87, he was the Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year.
and I saw his several pics, he looks like a good guy ...
Man, it all tells me that he was a heck of a GREAT player indeed !!!
but my favorite Braves players are Maddux and CHEAPER Jones [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ...
It's too late
Old 08-03-2001, 04:29 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he's my favorite athlete of all time...
wonderful man.. amazing athlete, amazing baseball player, incredible father, strong member of his church..
great all around guy..

i cannot believe that anyone would compare jose canseco to dale murphy in any way

and even talking about canseco...don't forget that he was a good fielder when he came into the league, with a good arm and good speed... the first 40-40 guy..so for a good part of his career, canseco wasn't one dimensional.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:53 PM   #17
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

TheKid, that crack about Dale Murphy shows your complete lack of baseball knowledge. Murph was one of the greatest baseball players of the 80s, and one of only a couple of players to win back to back MVPs. I could go on and on about him, but murph3 already has shown you the way. In the future though, please research your comments before you post them when you are not sure of what you are talking about.

"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 12:42 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

i can't believe anyone would have the nerve to say something so off-base about one of the greatest men to play baseball in the history of ever...
not only is he a great man, he was a great baseball player...
Old 08-07-2001, 08:42 PM   #19
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

You think that's off-base, did you read Robs comment about Sammy Sosa? I think it was in the Juan Gonzalez thread.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:56 AM   #20
TheKid
Diamond Member

Conseco became the 9th player in baseball history to record 200 Stolen bases and have atleast 400 Hr's. That's impressive but is it enough to get him in the Hall?
Old 09-04-2001, 01:37 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

no
Old 09-04-2001, 02:46 PM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

Actually I didn't even read what you and Crippler wrote. Before both of you try to diminish my knowledge of the game, I was thinking of someone COMPLETELY different than Dale Murphy actually. I was thinking of Dave Kingman actually however when I wrote it, I was thinking of one of his teammates that played on the mets team when he was there, I didn't mean to say Dale Murphy.

NO ONE has to tell me about how good Dale Murphy was because when I was younger and we first got cable it was the basic, basic cable. We didn't have a lot of sports channels and there was this one station that ALWAYS had Braves games on. I watched Dale Murphy play MANY games on the Braves. I tried to pattern my game afte the man in high school, so that was a complete slip up on my part. I couldn't remember the guy who played on the Mets who all he did was hit HR's and played there briefly with Dave Kingman. However he was a decent fielder and could steal bases, but he'll be remembered as a HR hitter. I couldn't remember his name the day I made that post, but I SURELY didn't mean to compare Conseco with Dale Murphy.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:12 PM   #23
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

YES- YES. He will be in the hall..without question.

And just an FYI, my favorite player of all time was ROBIN YOUNT.
Very much like Dale Murphy as far as how he played the game. 100% at all times, a class act. Team player, wins were far more important to him then stats were. But, he had stats too. 2mvps,3000plus hits and first time hall of famer.