Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-01-2006, 11:02 AM   #81
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"Fasano might be the blocking TE we need to replace campbell"
except for the fact that all the bios say he can't block.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #82
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Except for the fact that Jerry and Bill said he was a good blocker.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #83
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Except for the fact that the game film says he isnt.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 AM   #84
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

And I am sure you have checked all the game film from his career at Notre Dame. I like how he didn't catch shit his previous year, and then last year when Weiss' offense came in, he started catching all these balls. Yes he is very good pass receiver, but he can also block. I am not saying he is the all pro TE blocker, but Bill isn't gonna say something like that and actually draft him if he doesn't beleive it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #85
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

This is whats funny to me. Peoples blind faith in parcells. If his name was dave campo and he had done the exact same thing he did the last 3 years he would have been fired after last year not begged to come back. He has become the bobby bowden of the nfl. A guy who used to be great but now is average at best. Other than the chargers(in a MUCH better conference) who did less with more than the cowboys last year?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #86
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"This is whats funny to me. Peoples blind faith in parcells."
indeed.

the scouts say he is a below average blocker and above average pass catcher... or take the Jerry and Big Bill bait if you wish...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #87
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

from NFLCountdown.com on Anthony Fasano

"Strengths:
Has good size and a solid frame...Has excellent hands and will make the tough catch...A great weapon in the short to intermediate passing game...An above average blocker who always gives top effort...Hard working and smart...Is very tough and a gamer...Was very productive and had his best season in 2005. "
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #88
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

and also this from the notes section on the breakdown of Mr Fasano

"Notes:
One of the best all-around (blocking and receiving) tight ends in the draft...Is not very flashy and won't amaze you with his physical tools but he possesses top intangibles and just gets the job done...Overachiever in the mold of Mark Bavaro
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #89
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

this from Rivals.com

"Pros: Fasano combines a strong frame with sound technique, quickness and functional strength to rank with any prospect in this class as an inline blocker. As a receiver, he shows sure hands with the ability to catch the ball away from his body. He is especially effective in the underneath patterns where he displays a keen sense of coverage, allowing him to find soft spots in zones. He shows well-developed pass catching ability including good hands, body control and route running. He has the athleticism to fill the H-back role with a good understanding of coverage. His ability to get consistent movement at the point of contact will help a club’s ground game immediately."
Old 05-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #90
Five-ofan
Guru

Watch any game of notre dame this year and tell me you think that guy is a good blocker. Its not the end of the world but the guy just isnt a good blocker. He is big and athletic enough that he could conceivably become decent at it but he isnt a good blocker right now. I have seen and played enough football to know when a guy can block and when a guy cant.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #91
Five-ofan
Guru

Is the last one from when he was in high school? Im pretty sure that is his scouting report coming out of high school.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #92
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

apparently you know more than NFL scouts, so why aren't you racking up the dough scouting for the NFL?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #93
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Is the last one from when he was in high school? Im pretty sure that is his scouting report coming out of high school.
these are all reports forthe 2006 NFL Draft/.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #94
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

from USA Today scouting report

"6. Anthony Fasano Ht/Wt: 6’5, 255 Yr: Junior College: Notre Dame

Scouting Report: Teams that are looking for a truly well-rounded tight end may rank Fasano higher than we do. His blocking sets him apart and will get him on the field at the pro level. Fasano is more quick than fast, but he finds a way to get open. He’s not a huge threat after the catch, but could be a solid short-yardage tight end receiver.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #95
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

report from NFL.com

"NFL.com has the following assessment: “Fasano is a good athlete with the body control and hands to make great catches consistently -- he does a very good job of getting his head and hands around to catch passes that get on top of him fast. He is a very aggressive runner after the catch who will deliver a blow to the tackler, keep his feet, break tackles and gain yardage after contact. He gets through to the second level quickly, makes a good initial block on the linebacker, and he can stay on his feet to maintain blocks in space. He has the natural flexibility to bend his knees and run block with leverage, and when he blocks aggressively, he can seal his man off from the play and eliminate him.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #96
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I can keep going, but really, what freakin reports where you all readaing?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #97
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

so lets recap what all the scouts are saying about Anthony Fasano:

"An above average blocker who always gives top effort"

"One of the best all-around (blocking and receiving) tight ends in the draft"

" His ability to get consistent movement at the point of contact will help a club’s ground game immediately."

"His blocking sets him apart and will get him on the field at the pro level"

"makes a good initial block on the linebacker, and he can stay on his feet to maintain blocks in space. He has the natural flexibility to bend his knees and run block with leverage, and when he blocks aggressively, he can seal his man off from the play and eliminate him.”
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #98
Five-ofan
Guru

Dude this is a discussion board if all we are gonna say when we disagree with someone is hey why arent you a scout then what is the point. I seem to recall you disagreeing with the "experts" who said nash was the mvp.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #99
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

all I am saying is that you say he is a terrible blocker, cause if you saw any of the games he played you would be able to tell. Well, the pro scouts seem to differ with you and I am pointing this out. I mean, there are at least another 20 scouting reports I have seen on Fasano stating the same thing. Then you say we have blind trust in Parcells, well, mabey he does know what he is talking about. I could really care less what Bill says about the guy. Fasano is going to help this team and I am sure he will do quite fine at blocking.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #100
Five-ofan
Guru

I think he will help the team i do however wish we would have drafted mcneil in the spot we originally had. Oh well. That said you do realize that those profiles are always EXTREMELY favorable to the player they depict right?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #101
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry 5-0, but you just got your ass kicked.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #102
Five-ofan
Guru

Wait. Draft reports have said many things and been wrong many times. I truly hope im wrong but i know im not. The guy is not a good blocker.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry 5-0...My comment was actually directed at Sike. He's the one that said that all the bio's said that he can't block...

As for your opinion..well, I'll trust the scouts more than you on this one. I hope that's ok... and no, it's nothing personal. And yeah, I sincerely hope that you're wrong.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #104
Five-ofan
Guru

Its cool, I would trust scouts more than some random person on a message board too. I still dont think he can block but i am coming around on this pick more and more. The more i think about it the more it does remind me of pollard and clark. I still wish we had picked mcneil but I can live with this for now. We do have to upgrade the oline somehow by next year though. Overall this offense should be pretty dangerous next year. TO is the most dangerous receiver in the nfl. Glenn is a home run hitter. Witten is one of the best receiving tes in the league and fasano should be solid receiving as well. I expect jones to be a stud this year. He killed people on draws his rookie year with a crappy passing game and then for whatever reason we didnt run draws last year even though we had a good passing game. I will never understand that but i hope the coaching staff figured it out.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #105
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I posted this on the other draft thread, but I heard some trade talk about getting Lawwrecne Maroney and trading Jones. Anybody else heard this?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #106
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Norm stated early Sat morning that it was a rumor floating around. I would assume it would have happened on draft day if it was going to happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #107
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

they are still talking about it happening. Norm has been on this all morning,.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #108
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for those of us who haven't been listening, fill us in. Surely they aren't talking about a 1 for 1 swap?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #109
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well 68... Have you heard anything else about Maroney, or did that just become a silly rumor?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #110
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a draft day thing. The Pats aren't trading Maroney now.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #111
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Among the undrafted guys the Cowboys are bringing in this weekend is Marcus King, a safety from Missouri by way of Irving Nimitz. He played at Nimitz with his stepbrother, Michael Huff.

If King could make the team (and assuming Tyson Thompson still does), the 'Boys would have a player from each of the Irving High schools on the roster. Pretty cool!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #112
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

More on King from someone I know at Nimitz:

"Marcus is a great kid and a great athlete. When he was a senior, I voted for him for Mr. NHS. He played EVERY PLAY of the football game. He was even the punter and punt returner. He was pretty much a 4 year starter at Missouri. Last year, in the Independence Bowl, he was Defensive Player of the Game and returned an interception 99 yards for a touchdown.

He also made the state track meet his senior year in the hurdles and was point guard on the basketball team. Definitely a great all around athlete. I don’t know if he has the speed to play in the NFL, but he has a lot of other things going for him."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #113
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Among the undrafted guys the Cowboys are bringing in this weekend is Marcus King, a safety from Missouri by way of Irving Nimitz. He played at Nimitz with his stepbrother, Michael Huff.

If King could make the team (and assuming Tyson Thompson still does), the 'Boys would have a player from each of the Irving High schools on the roster. Pretty cool!
That is a neat little bit of trivia.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:41 AM   #114
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Not sure how much you can tell about a player from college football highlights, but over at DallasCowboys.com they've got some intriguing Skyler Green footage. The kid definitely looks like a playmaker.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #115
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Thumbs down Spoiled Groceries

18 - Bobby Carpenter/ LB Ohio State
53 - Anthony Fasano/ TE Notre Dame
92 - Jason Hatcher/ DE Grambling State
125 - Skyler Green/ WR Louisiana State
138 - Pat Watkins/ DB Florida State
182 - Montavious Stanley/ DT Louisville
211 - Pat McQuistan/ T Weber State
224 - E.J. Whitley/ C Texas Tech

Wow, what a piece of shit this is turning out to be.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #116
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Hatcher has shown something.

Watkins has the tools, he just has to learn how to cover. FS is a hard position to learn early on.

McQ is supposedly a really nice find.

But the rest? Blech.

BTW, can we officially give 5-0 his props for sticking to his guns in that Fasano discussion? Because the guy can't block.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-25-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #117
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
18 - Bobby Carpenter/ LB Ohio State
53 - Anthony Fasano/ TE Notre Dame
92 - Jason Hatcher/ DE Grambling State
125 - Skyler Green/ WR Louisiana State
138 - Pat Watkins/ DB Florida State
182 - Montavious Stanley/ DT Louisville
211 - Pat McQuistan/ T Weber State
224 - E.J. Whitley/ C Texas Tech

Wow, what a piece of shit this is turning out to be.
Bobby Carpenter F- Worst pick of the draft so far imo... I wouldnt be suprised to see him not make the team next year when Parcells isnt here.

Fasano- C I do think he has something. I think big Marcus would have been a much more useful pick though. He still cant block.

Hatcher - A, this kid is gonna be a BEAST. I love this pick, since we seem to be able to find great Dlineman late(Canty) I think we should start drafting offense early.

Skyler Green- F---------- I hate this pick so much. Such a waste of a pick and it was such an obvious waste then. He has no upside whatsoever. Im sorry but if you are gonna draft a return guy who CANT(and make no mistake he cant) do anything else, he needs to be a burner. 4.5 is fast for your average guy walking down the street but its not a burner. He serves no purpose whatsoever. You could have had the best Olineman on the best Oline in the country or you could have had mcneal, I still think with the right coaching he could be useful. If nothing he else he runs a 4.3 and has a cannon.

Watkins- B Lots of upside for a 5th round pick. I like it alot even though hes looked bad so far.

Stanley- C No big deal either way

Mcq- A- We finally drafted an Olineman. One who has actually been useful in the 6th round. Doesnt get any better than that.(well unless you get Brady)

Whitley - D He didnt make the team did he? Still dont get an F for at least trying to draft an Olineman here.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-25-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #118
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Whitley blew out his knee, so I assume he is still with the team, technically.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #119
Five-ofan
Guru

What happened to 6-8 btw? He hasnt been on in a while?

Edit- No i dont want to know just so i can bring up him being wrong about Fasano blocking btw...Though he clearly was....

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-25-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #120
Five-ofan
Guru

Since I was all over wanting us to draft Marcus McNeil, I feel the need to point out that he has been easily the best Olineman from this draft so far and will probably finish top 4 or so in offensive rookie of the year voting...