Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #41
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah, thats right. Manning is who I was thinking about.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #42
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
That could be true about the picture thing, but if you think about it, it is possible. I, like I have said before, am 6 8. Of course played basketball. In my prime I could touch the top of the box on the back board. I would have no problem thinking that an athlete of his calibur, being only about 2 inches shoter than me could touch the top of the boards. But of course, it could be that the back board was lowered.
I went back and reread where I found it. He is 6'6" and has a 39.5" vertical.

Wow, with his reach, I am guessing close to 13'. 78" + 39.5" = 117.5" so basically he gets his head to 2.5" below the rim, + his reach above his head. I am guessing short of 13', but not by too much.

Very impressive
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #43
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
LOLB - Al Singleton, Rocky Boiman
LILB - Bradie James, Ryan Fowler
RILB - Akin Ayodele, Kevin Burnett
ROLB - DeMarcus Ware, Scott Shanle, Kalen Thornton
Throw Carpenter into the mix and whatta ya got? Seems like a pretty stout LB corps...

Carpenter on one side, Ware on the other. Singleton's no spring chicken.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #44
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Here is a 5 minute highlight video of Carpenter from Yahoo Sports. Just click on the video icon next to his name.
http://sports.yahoo.com/s/nfldraft;_...jgW5MMpfBDubYF
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #45
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Told you Carpenter!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #46
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Bobby Carpenter... Boring pic, but that is who I see them taking if they can't move down.
Wow, Dan, nice.. : )
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #47
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Are you friggin kidding me?

I know we needed a blocking TE, but damn - 2nd round??? Winston and Giles were still on the board.

Geez!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 04-29-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #48
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I love Fasano, but I didn't see that coming.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #49
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

He's rated as 53rd best player overall, 5th best TE. So I guess value-wise, it's not a bad pick.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #50
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

hmm...i know when there aren't any targetted players available, you go after the best available, but a TE? like male23dan stated, giles was available. we do need some help at the guard position. hopefully i'm wrong and this fasano kid turns out to be a hoss.

who knows, maybe this 2 TE receiving set will gain popularity in the nfl

is it something we did or are they just jealous?
jly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry says Fasano will start, and they will change to a two-TE offense.

Sounds good to me! If he's the next Mark Bavaro, that's all I need to hear!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #52
jly
Dirk for MVP

jly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the roughjly is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

hmmm...maybe that explains why our WR depth is so bad.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #53
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Dallas due up next in the third. Who do we get?
Old 04-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #54
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Pick traded to Jacksonville
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #55
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to go O-line there but a two tight end system should help our offensive line...at least at the edges.

Remember, Petite was considered a 6th round steal when we were able to help him over there.

I'm still concerned about our interior line but maybe they know something that I don't.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #56
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Anthony Fasano - Cowboys TE

From CNNSI.com

Anthony Fasano
Position: TE
Class: Sr
School: Notre Dame
Conference: Independents
Ht., Wt.: 6-4.5, 250
40 Time: 4.73
Selected by: Dallas Cowboys
Round 2, pick 21 (53 overall)

BIO: Full-time starter the past two seasons. Junior totals were 45/564/2 after 27/367/4 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Athletic tight end and natural pass-catching threat. Quickly releases into routes, adjusts to the errant throw or lays out for the difficult reception. Extends making the reception away from his frame, displays solid concentration and works to pick up yardage after the catch. Consistently finds the open space in the defense. Blocks with excellent pad level, jolting defenders at the point of attack.

NEGATIVES: Does not always win out in battles. Marginally strong and cannot finish blocks.

ANALYSIS: Possessing a solid combination of intelligence, athleticism and intensity, Fasano offers starting potential at the next level as a move tight end. Could be an effective blocker in time as he physically matures.

2005 Receiving Statistics
Receptions - 47
Receiving Yards - 576
Yards Per Reception - 12.26
Touchdowns - 2
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:13 PM   #57
jly
Dirk for MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
Pick traded to Jacksonville
looks like we picked up the 28th pick in the 4th round. is it time to grab a safety yet???

Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #58
Drbio
Banned

Question. Does anyone know if Ty Law is still in limbo?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #59
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Um. Who's Jason Hatcher?

Edit: here we go: http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplay...scoutingreport

Last edited by ames7; 04-29-2006 at 08:39 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #60
jly
Dirk for MVP

i do believe ty law is still a free agent.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:40 PM   #61
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Sigh...

Ko Simpson (FS) and Jean-Giles (G) are actually still on the board and we draft a @%^@$%#$ DE...

Un @#%#$# believable...

Where last year was a great 1st day, this year, in my opinion, is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE first day. We have passed on some serious talent and lost some great guys by trading down, (like McNeil)...

Sigh!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #62
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Um. Who's Jason Hatcher?

Edit: here we go: http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplay...scoutingreport
Wow 6-8 defensive end. Jason "Too Tall" Hatcher?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #63
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

We have a few MAJOR needs, and we get a guy where we have two solid starters in Spears and Canty with Ellis splitting time with Canty...

If Dallas didn't win tonight, I think my entire Saturday might have been ruined by that past pick...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #64
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
We have a few MAJOR needs, and we get a guy where we have two solid starters in Spears and Canty with Ellis splitting time with Canty...

If Dallas didn't win tonight, I think my entire Saturday might have been ruined by that past pick...
ugh. That doesn't sound so good especially considering the TE pick was rather questionable as well.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #65
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jly
i do believe ty law is still a free agent.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:46 AM   #66
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

uh, Whitten?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:50 AM   #67
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Sike, Jason Whitten is just one man. Just one. I know he's good and all, but he can't be two places at once.

Get it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #68
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

do you know that for a fact sir???? WELL, DO YOU?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #69
sike
The Preacha

so, what is the general assessment?

Carpenter, good player man?

Old 05-01-2006, 01:57 AM   #70
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Sike, Jason Whitten is just one man. Just one. I know he's good and all, but he can't be two places at once.

Get it?
I don't think he does -

The alien is used to handling tight ends one at a time.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #71
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
I don't think he does -

yuck.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #72
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
yuck.
stuck?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:03 AM   #73
sike
The Preacha

Question

Quote:
so, what is the general assessment?

Carpenter, good player man?
how about adressing this?

Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 AM   #74
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
how about adressing this?
The dude was a beast vs. Texas. He ran down Vince from behind more than once... needless to say he left an impression on me.

I hope he can come in and contribute right away. It sounds like he'll push singleton for the starting position. For a "safe" pick, I think he has tremendous upside.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #75
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Sike;
Carpenter is a solid player who both can cover, and put his hand on the ground. His father was a BP guy, so he had an "in" already. Although he is good at both, most draftniks don't think he has much upside from what he already is --- a solid outside LB. Most people think he will become basically Al Singleton -- very good, but not All-pro quality.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #76
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
I don't think he does -

Ba-ZING!!!! Man, CapCity has been on a roll lately.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #77
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I really liked the draft for the cowboys. Carpenter will be good, Fasano might be the blocking TE we need to replace campbell, and they stocked up on the defensive side. I hope the FS from Florida State works out, seems to be pretty good although Florida State got lit up at the end of the year. I really hope this OT they took, McQuistan?, works out. didn't look like he played alot but he was supposedly the strongest guy on their team, but that is not saying much seeing he went to Weber State.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #78
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Alos, I REALLY like the pick up of Skyler Green from LSU. Great kick return specialist. Might be just what the team needs since they have been terrible lately.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #79
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Fasano cant block. He is a receiving TE. The cowboys are trying to be like the colts when they had pollard and clark. Hope it works.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #80
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

They just had the Montavious Stanley interview after he got drafted and he sounds like a really good kid. I can't wait to see this guy at nose tackle. He was really syked up ready for this season. That is what I want to see.