Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-17-2002, 01:16 AM   #1
Super Mav

Super Mav is on a distinguished road

Ex-Mav Jones wants to return
Free-agent forward serious about playing in Dallas

09/17/2002

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

Popeye Jones still has his membership at Frisco's Stonebriar Country Club, even though he can manage just a round or two of golf there each year.

A return visit Monday to Dallas, complete with a tour of Mavericks facilities, added to Jones' hope that his golf outings can become regular soon.

"I'm very serious about coming here," Jones said Monday night after a visit with Mavericks officials. "It's one of the top choices for me."

Jones, 32, is so serious about an interest in Dallas that the 6-8 free-agent forward said he is willing to consider a one-year deal that previously was unattractive.

"With the circumstances and wanting to live here, the interest level is high even if it's just a one-year deal," said Jones, who added he hopes to sign a contract this week. "Sometimes happiness is more important."

The Mavericks, meanwhile, have been open about their interest in Jones.

Jones' 7.0 points and 7.3 rebounds per game for Washington last season marked his most productive year since 1997-98.

Jones was with the Mavericks from 1993-96. He averaged 10.6 and 10.8 rebounds per game in his last two seasons in Dallas. He holds the Mavericks' record for rebounds in a game, 28 against Indiana on Jan. 9, 1996.

Sonics give Lewis deadline

Training camp begins in two weeks, but Dallas is in no hurry to rush signings. That includes no pressuring of Rashard Lewis, the coveted Seattle free agent.

Lewis, however, is not facing such a generous proposition from the Sonics, who have issued a Wednesday deadline for Lewis' decision on their $60 million offer.

Though I would love to have Rashard added to the Mavs line up, I would love to see Popeye in a Mavs jersey too. Popeye is a proven rebounder someone the Mavs desperately need, while Rashard is a young and up coming star. Do you guys think the Cuban can get his hands on both players? If so, do you think Popeye would be happy to play off the bench? I can't wait to see what this week will unfold.

Also...Popeye is one ugly fool.
Super Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2002, 06:23 AM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

If we pick up Popeye and Rashard (knock on wood), I would love to see any media sports pundits argue that the Kings had the best offseason... Nellie- Executive of the Year...
Old 09-17-2002, 06:56 AM   #3
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

but would that be possible if we gave our exception to lewis.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:00 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I lvoe those popeye ears! And when he would score at Reunion they would play that popeye the sailor man whistle thing....greatness. I hope he comes here as well.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 08:31 AM   #5
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

I love the halftime movie reviews that Popeye used to do with Tim Legler and then Tony Dumas after Legler left. Those were hilarious.

I've emailed Cuban begging him to bring in Popeye so that we can install the latest version, the Pop and Ed Show, a halftime movie review session with Popeye and Eduardo Najera. I think those two would do a great job, cuz they both have that jovial and offbeat look about them!

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:22 AM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Jones mulls returning to Mavericks

Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Free-agent power forward Popeye Jones talked with the Mavericks on Monday about the possibilities of signing with the team within the next two weeks.

"We just wanted to have a chance to get to know him a little bit more," said Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations. "We are looking for more of a rebounding presence, and he's someone that makes a lot of sense, positionally, for our ballclub.

"When he was here before, he was a franchise and a fan favorite. Besides, he's one of the best per-minute rebounders that there is in the league."

A nine-year veteran, Jones played his first three NBA seasons with the Mavericks, from 1993-96. He also has played for Toronto, Boston, Denver and Washington, and averaged 7.0 points and 7.3 rebounds while shooting 43.7 percent from the field in 24.3 minutes per game last year for the Wizards.

Besides Jones, the Mavericks are holding out hope that Seattle free agent Rashard Lewis will forego a seven-year, $60 million offer from the Sonics and accept the Mavericks' three-year, $15 million offer. Nelson said even if the Mavericks sign Lewis -- they are saving their $4.5 million exception for him -- they still will try to sign Jones.

"The two [situations] are not related," said Nelson, adding that they won't press Lewis with a deadline for a decision.

"We want to respect his space, because it's a huge career decision," Nelson said. "But the $4.5 million exception has been reserved for him exclusively."

Meanwhile, the Mavericks are still expected to sign restricted free-agent forward Eduardo Najera. While discussions with Najera have progressed, they were interrupted because his agent, Dan Fegan, had to fly to Atlanta to check on another client, Hawks guard DerMarr Johnson. Johnson broke his neck Friday in an automobile accident.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:35 AM   #7
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

I like Popeye Jones. Don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that the direction the Mav's have traveled this off-season involved a lot of patience on the part of Nellie and Company. So I would hope that trend continues. There are a lot of FA better than Jones out there.

Loren Woods C Timberwolves
Walt Williams F Houston
John Wallace F Suns
Gary Trent F Timberwolves
Derrick McKey F 76ers
Scott Padgett F Utah

Trajan Langdon G Cavaliers
Kendall Gill Fl Miami

If the Mav's accomplish the sign-and-trade, they keep the 4.5 Million Dollar Exemption. They don't have to use it all on one player. I certainly wouldn't spend it all on Jones. He isn't worth it, but like I said before. It seems to me that patience is the play of the day, and although I love the thought of Lewis in a Mav's uniform, let's not jump to fast.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:38 AM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Did you really mention Gary Trent?

How about our Million Dollar exception - do we have one this year?
Old 09-17-2002, 09:55 AM   #9
Super Mav

Super Mav is on a distinguished road

Sonics: Clock is ticking on Lewis' decision

By DANNY O'NEIL
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Free-agent forward Rashard Lewis has been eligible to sign a contract since July 17, but in two months, he has visited only three NBA teams.

Now, it may only be a matter of days before Lewis decides on his destination next season.

The Sonics have given their unrestricted free agent a timetable for a decision, according to several sources. It's believed the Sonics want to know by this week whether Lewis will re-sign with the team, or accept less money to play for the Dallas Mavericks.

Sonics general manager Rick Sund would not discuss whether a deadline or timetable had been set in negotiations with Lewis, but did speak in general terms.

"It's in everyone's best interest for a decision to be made soon," Sund said.

Carl Poston, Lewis' agent, did not return phone calls, and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wrote in an e-mail that he was not aware of any new developments regarding Lewis.

Lewis has been considered the top free-agent priority for the Sonics after he was the team's No. 2 scorer (16.8 points) and No. 1 rebounder (7.0) last season. He has played four years with Seattle since being selected in the second round of the 1998 draft out of Alief Elsik High School, outside Houston. The Sonics have offered him a seven-year contract worth a guaranteed $60 million, with an additional $15 million in All-Star-related incentives.

The Mavericks cannot offer Lewis a starting salary of more than $4.5 million, $400,000 less than the salary Lewis would have received next season from the Sonics had he not opted out of the final season of a three-year deal he signed with the team in 2000. Lewis opted out of the final season of the contract to become a free agent after the season concluded.

If Lewis signed with the Mavericks, it would most likely be a three-year contract worth about $15 million, approximately $6 million less than he would be paid during the first three years of the contract Seattle has offered. The potential benefit? After three years Lewis could sign a lucrative, long-term deal with the Mavericks.

The Sonics have not changed their offer to Lewis in terms of guaranteed money, and now it appears Lewis will have to take what's on the table from the Sonics, or accept less from Dallas.

Training camp opens Oct. 1, and the Sonics have brought three free agents -- Popeye Jones, Lee Nailon and Walt Williams -- to town in the past four weeks. There also have been discussions regarding Scott Burrell, a member of the Bulls' NBA title team in 1998.

It's uncertain whether the Sonics will add a free agent if Lewis re-signs, because if Lewis accepts the Sonics' offer, the team will most likely be paying a luxury tax, and would be more hesitant to add another free-agent salary to the payroll.
TextText
Super Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:07 AM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

<< Loren Woods C Timberwolves
Walt Williams F Houston
John Wallace F Suns
Derrick McKey F 76ers
Scott Padgett F Utah
Kendall Gill Fl Miami
>>

i don't know if i'd take any of those guys over popeye. he brings more to the table than just his rebounding. he's a class act.

and all this talk of a sign and trade... who would we be trading? let's trade wang!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #11
annsmilebit99

annsmilebit99 is on a distinguished road

Definitely trade Wang. Popeye Jones would be a great add-on to the mavs, not as great as Lewis would be, but he's definitely a player worth all that effort.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2002, 12:44 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

&lt;&lt; Loren Woods C Timberwolves
Walt Williams F Houston
John Wallace F Suns
Derrick McKey F 76ers
Scott Padgett F Utah
Kendall Gill Fl Miami
&gt;&gt;

Popeye would actually play minutes for Dallas... Of the above players, I think only Walt Williams or a healthy McKey would have even a remote shot of getting off of the end of the bench for 5-10 mpg...
Old 09-17-2002, 01:17 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

<< I like Popeye Jones. Don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that the direction the Mav's have traveled this off-season involved a lot of patience on the part of Nellie and Company. So I would hope that trend continues. There are a lot of FA better than Jones out there.

Loren Woods C Timberwolves
Walt Williams F Houston
John Wallace F Suns
Derrick McKey F 76ers
Scott Padgett F Utah

Kendall Gill Fl Miami

If the Mav's accomplish the sign-and-trade, they keep the 4.5 Million Dollar Exemption. They don't have to use it all on one player. I certainly wouldn't spend it all on Jones. He isn't worth it, but like I said before. It seems to me that patience is the play of the day, and although I love the thought of Lewis in a Mav's uniform, let's not jump to fast.
>>

loren woods didnt get off the bench for the twolves, and with the twolves serious lack of size, it should say something that he didnt play AND they havent tried to resign him. wallace, trent, langdon, and padgett are spares. to even imply they are better than popeye insults any intelligent basketball fan. mckey, gill, and walt williams are too old. nice but not any better than popeye.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 01:41 PM   #14
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

IT's POPEYE the ball player man, It's POPEYE the ball player man, He's strong to the finish 'cause he eats his spinich, HE'S POPEYE THE BALL PLAYER MAN. TOOT TOOT!!!!

Just too good of PR again in the new Arena. What ahoot, win games aAND HAVE the movie reiew back as well as his GREAT BIG SMILE....With his improved game, rebounding focus, WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE???

Rest are all Bluto's...&quot;losers&quot; compared to POPEYE....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Hey a wonder if his wife's name is OLIVE?
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 03:04 PM   #15
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i know i was against popeye coming to dallas a few weeks ago,but after reviewing his stats,DAMN,when the man played in dallas,he plocked 10.3 rpg!!!KAPAOW!!!though now he dropped to 7 something,but that could still work,the only thing that bothers me is,well,the man is ugly!lets face it,he aint exactly to f*cking cruise,we need a certain level of good looking to maintain the team,and im sorry but popeye isnt close to qualify.
on a more happier i love sheperds pai and the color blue.:-)
sleep on it people,i love you all,i truely do,except for ugly people who doesnt like the mavs,shame on you.j/k
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 03:26 PM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Has anyone thought of what would happen to Najera if we were to get both Lewis and Jones?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 03:39 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

If we could get Lweis and Popeye I could give a damn about Najera lol. I mean dont get me wrong I want him to resign but if he doesetn that isnt a big loss because we jsut signed Popeye and Lewis and TAW is gonna get to play some too. Now if we dont sign Lewis or even Pop for that matter and dont sign Najera its gonna be a hold new direction we are goin to be goin in.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 03:42 PM   #18
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

<< though now he dropped to 7 something,but that could still work,the only thing that bothers me is,well,the man is ugly!lets face it,he aint exactly to f*cking cruise,we need a certain level of good looking to maintain the team,and im sorry but popeye isnt close to qualify.
on a more happier i love sheperds pai and the color blue.:-)
sleep on it people,i love you all,i truely do,except for ugly people who doesnt like the mavs,shame on you.j/k
>>

this is good example of why many quality posters no longer come to this site...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:20 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

oh my....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 09:26 PM   #20
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Allright , it looks like Rashard is heading back to Seattle with his tale between his legs so I look for the signing of Popeye to done soon...
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:39 AM   #21
Charlie Brown

not that anyone cares except me, but mark cuban finally wrote me back on the pop and ed issue. here's what he said. just wanted yal' to know that if the mavs use it, you heard it from me first.

----------------------------

we dont have the time at this point, but we have talked about it

thanks !

m

MFFL = Mavs Fan For Life

For the most exciting tv experience ever, check out
HDNet on ch199 on directv or www.hd.net

and of course www.mavgear.com

----- Original Message -----
To: mark.cuban@dallasmavs.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 9:27 AM
Subject: pop and ed show

mark,

i emailed you before about this, but i didn't get a response.

what do you think about reinstalling the halftime movie reviews that popeye used to do with tim legler (tony dumas later on) during the 90s. however, this time you can use eduardo as the sidekick and call it the Pop and Ed Show. i KNOW the fans would love it. fans have been posting on message boards here and there that they would love to bring that halftime show back.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #22
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Is Cuban still running his own talk show up there? I hear it could use a shot of entertainment.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #23
Charlie Brown

what surprised me is that he wrote me back in like 10 minutes. he's not one of those dorks that just sit around the computer clicking the &quot;Send/Receive&quot; button all day seeing if he's got email?

hmm.

Old 09-18-2002, 09:45 AM   #24
Charlie Brown

<< Is Cuban still running his own talk show up there? I hear it could use a shot of entertainment. >>

dunno. but i think it's in everyone's best interests if he got rid of it or find someone else to be the main host while he can just be the guest.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:53 AM   #25
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

he wrote me and one of my buddies back in 5 minutes, in the middle of the draft, of all things.

safe to say the guy is on the computer a lot, but i'm sure he's got his mail checking automatically so he doesn't have to hit &quot;send/receive.&quot; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:29 PM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< what surprised me is that he wrote me back in like 10 minutes. he's not one of those dorks that just sit around the computer clicking the &quot;Send/Receive&quot; button all day seeing if he's got email?

hmm.
>>

No dorks like that around here....
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote