Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-16-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Poll - Excited about the rangers

The recent come from behind wins, great defense by Lance Nix, consistent hits by Blalock/A-Rod, terrific running by Nivar-- Are you excited and are optimistic that Dallas has finally got a team that can be good for years to come.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

I voted yes about being excited but I really think it all boils down to pitching. The Rangers have consistently brought great young hitters up, but never seem to be able to develop sp's. Let's hope that trend ends or lets just put a dome on top of the ballpark so the heat keeps the balls from flying out. LOL
Old 08-16-2003, 03:36 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
I voted yes about being excited but I really think it all boils down to pitching. The Rangers have consistently brought great young hitters up, but never seem to be able to develop sp's. Let's hope that trend ends or lets just put a dome on top of the ballpark so the heat keeps the balls from flying out. LOL

If you actually count the best pitchers in Baseball- not many teams have them.

Its really hard to get good pitchers, probably one of the youngsters we have will develop into a good one.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Definitely yes. The games are SO much better to watch now that there's something to watch for. I really like Nivar, seriously, the kid can fly. He reeks havoc on the defense b/c of his speed, you see him getting extra bases or scoring a runner a lot b/c of errors. Nix & Jones are also worth watching, & everyone should be watching Dominguez. Just think if we can get some real pitching.

On a side note, I read the DMN article about Rookie of the Yr & as good as Matsui is, Teixiera should definitely get consideration. He's looking better & better at 1st.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Quote:
[i]On a side note, I read the DMN article about Rookie of the Yr & as good as Matsui is, Teixiera should definitely get consideration. He's looking better & better at 1st.

Matsui should not be considered a rookie. He played pro baseball before coming here. However , tixiera played like a rookie during his first 30 games but has really come along hitting 3.15 in his last 20 games.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:07 PM   #6
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Nope, they still bore me to death.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:19 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with Yes only because I like the farm guys. Our pitching sucks as Fah-q pointed out and it won't be significantly better for a couple years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

there are some good young arms in the minors.

I'm also confident that lewis or benoit will pan out. plus, I like dominguez and ramirez (currently in the majors)

however, even that won't be enough. the rangers need to hold on to john thompson. he can be a solid #3-4 guy down the road. dickey might get them through a year or two as a #4 or 5 guy. and with everyone else, just develop the young arms. The rangers also have some tradeable assets as well
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Yes I am excited about this team. We have the best record in the west since june 24th and we have a league best record 12-4 in August.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:01 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

you have to be excited with the way there playing recently with all the young players that are playing major roles.

The infield looks AWEFULLY solid with Blalock, A-Rod, Young, and Teixeira. There all young and they can all improve (except maybe A-Rod)

The outfield is shaping up with Nivar in center, who really excited me. And Lance Nix in right, who shows us everyday that he deserves to be here. The only question is leftfield..Jason Jones? Kevin Mench?

They need to find a catcher though. Diaz doesn't excite me much for the future.

Then comes to the pitching staff. The relief pitching seems to be coming together with CoCo and the Eraser. There starting pitching needs help but again there are alot of young talent either here or may be here in a few years. Dominguez and Colby Lewis seem like they might have the stuff to stay in the rotation.

You take all these young kids and then add some crafty veterens in the next few years and we may have something to REALLY look forward to within the next two years.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:14 PM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Poll - Excited about the rangers

I'm starting to be excited.

Let's see it this lasts.

I could change my MLB favorite.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:21 PM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Poll - Excited about the rangers

i'm excited, and am now becoming a Ranger fan. I have hated them for years, but have actually watch them a lot this year, and actually enjoy watching their games. ANd i'm not a huge baseball fan, but i still catch myself watching them almost everynight. there's somethihng about youthful spirit i guess. I can't wait until next year when raffy and juan will be gone, and most of the old stale spirit will be completely gone.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:51 PM   #13
Fah Q
Golden Member

I'm so jealous of all of you for being able to watch them every night. Don't take it for granted
Old 08-19-2003, 08:07 AM   #14
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm so jealous of all of you for being able to watch them every night. Don't take it for granted
FQ,

I bet you weren't to excited to see the Rangers leave Florida for Arizona were you. Is that how you became a Rangers fan, being from Port Charlotte?

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:53 AM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Even I voted yes.

The key is the prospects and moving them (a) into the starting lineup; or (b) to other teams for more pitching prospects. This is a long term project and we are very early in the process. Next year, we will be lucky to be at .500; it will be years before we actually contend for the division.

Are we going to try and bring Thompson back? He's a decent middle of the rotation guy.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:31 AM   #16
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I am very excitied for next season. Hopefully they can keep this winning streak alive next season.
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #17
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Quote:
FQ,

I bet you weren't to excited to see the Rangers leave Florida for Arizona were you. Is that how you became a Rangers fan, being from Port Charlotte?
Actually, I'm from Ft. Worth. I moved here to help my dad start his new business a couple years back. My dad owns a couple pizza places and I actually used to do one on one business with the rangers as well as with their minor league team. I have many signed minor league balls from the players who came up from class A.