Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tennis Fans? Federer is PWNing tennis..

Dude wraps up his 10th Grand Slam and is owning his sport more then anyone I've ever seen... Tiger, Michael, Iron Mike and Schumacher included...

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=2744992

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

He is ridiculous. I thought Roddick might be able to do something after he rolled through a couple of guys going into the semis, but Federer just destroyed him. I'm not really a fan of him, but you have to be impressed. He's absolutely unstoppable.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Federer is the man.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He's the best athlete at doing what he does out of the major/semi major sports in the world... baseball/football/basketball/hockey/tennis/golf. No, soccer doesn't count.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

My roommate and I stayed up to watch it. Good Lord, what an incredible athlete. I've never seen a human being dominate a game quite like he does.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

the match he played against roddick was one of the most amazing performances ive ever seen in any sport. Roddick didnt play poorly in that match and he had about as much chance as I would have. its just crazy how good federer is. BTW, this theory that you can approach the net on fed and thats the way to beat him is foolish. He is the best player in the world at passing shots. Why would letting him hit passing shots all day be the best way to beat him?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The guy is amazing. He can make winning look easy even when he's extremely off. Give me this guy over Pete in his prime....
Old 01-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

In the last three-plus years, Federer has collectively compiled a 246-15 record and 35 titles in 50 tournaments and won 9 of the last 13 majors including 6 of the last 7
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Agassi himself said he was better than Pete. One of my favorite sports of all is tennis and I really don't care for this guy but you can't question his domination. He will definitely go down as the greatest tennis player of all time.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

It's interesting, Dan, cause I think a lot of people feel that way about him. We talked about the state of ATP tennis in a few of my marketing classes & we were saying it's a shame he is more...I guess, likable, or marketable, or visible even, b/c he is the kind of dominant, Jordan/Tiger-esque force that should make even casual fans pay attention to tennis. I don't know if ATP just isn't marketing him right or if it's just that he's not very likable, but if anything, men's tennis is continuing to sink as a sport. Sports media is definitely paying attention, but I don't know if enough people are watching what's happening here...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Well, he's not American. That probably doesn't help. How many non-American male tennis players can you think of that have made a huge impact on advertising in the U.S.?
Let's even go a step further... What do Agassi, Connors, and McEnroe have in common? Besides being American, they had a fiery attitude on the court and/or a certain flare that the tennis world wasn't used to. Federer's so good that he doesn't even need the on the court attitude.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he is also incredibly annoying, but maybe that is the unbelievable arrogance/ego combined with the fact that he isn't American as Murphy pointed out. I just find myself constantly rooting against him, and that is in fact a shame because it is hard to follow a sport when the guy you hate always, and I do mean always, wins!

I guess it would be like watching golf and hating Woods, or the NBA and hating Jordan in the 90s. Even in those instances though, they are American and you don't get into a country pride issue. I do wish Pete in his absolute prime could take on Federer now though. Even then, I think Pete could only manage 2 out of 10 against him. This cat is good!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #13
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

No one can beat him. Boring...
Old 01-29-2007, 05:33 AM   #14
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

If Federer seems to be arrogant to people in America it's probably the same reason why people in Europe might feel Lance Armstrong is arrogant. If he's one of yours, then he is very likable.

I like this guy. He's polite to his opponents and the fans. He's well behaved on the court. He's a model athlete who works hard. His game is flawless. When he's playing, one should just sit back and enjoy witnessing perfection. It's like watching Tiger.

What I like about Federer most, though, is that he doesn't even need a personal coach.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

LOL, he isn't our guy so he's arrogant. Lance isn't either, but he was my favorite bicycler.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Some of you likely don't even watch tennis regularly to see his response to won titles. He beat a guy about a year and a half ago and was incredibly arrogant with his acceptance speech. And no, not in the "well if Agassi said it, it would be OK" way, but the "wow, that dude is arrogant no matter his birth place" way. He has been humble in many victories as well, but I have seen him on 2 seperate occassions be everything but modest and I just don't care for the guy. Again, he will be the best of all time when all is said and done with, so don't take it the wrong way.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he is a machine...and so easy to root against.

he will go down as the hands down greatest tennis player of all time.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #18
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

How can you guys not like Fed?!! The man is one of the most accessable number one's in years. He is always available for interviews. He is respected by all on the tour. He appreciates the history of the game and his peers. He cried like a baby last year at the Aussie Open when he accepted the trophy from one of his idols, Rod laver.

If you dominated a sport like he does, you would sound arrogant also. His arrogance is misinterpreted by those who have a bias against him for whatever reason. He is just honest with his statements, and some see that as arrogance. He respects every opponent he faces.

He still says he has many mountains to conquer to reach the superstars of his sport ... like winning all four grand slam tourneys in a calendar year, climbing to the all time tourney wins held by Connors, and winning the French which he has never done. I look forward to a grand slam from him this year.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
Amir

Amir is on a distinguished road

When Pete Sampras decided to call it a day, i though it would take at lest a decade until a new tennis player like him comes around. I though he`d be the best in the history of tennis.

But here came a young Swiss named Roger Federer and spolied my prediction.

He is simply fantastic, unbeliavable really.