Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #41
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Speaking of Marion, he looks horrid. He's played good defense but he's absolutely dreadful offensively, and he can't grab rebounds this year. I'm guessing lost athleticism and injuries have really hampered him in that area. From what we've seen this season, this version of the Matrix is a pretty average basketball player.
Yes, he just doesn't look the same at all. I hope it is because of the ankle and reduced conditioning, and that both will come around shortly.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #42
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
16-7 offensive/ 2nd chance points
Coaching problem. The Mavs don't seem to find opponent players and block out. You can see it coming a mile away vs these long, athletic teams. They come out of nowhere and put the ball back in while Dirk stands around. I'm not a Dirk basher, he is a superstar on offense, but that is his weak point.

We need to make these guys come over our backs to get all these offensive rebounds and put backs.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #43
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Some of that is because the Mavs were playing zone. And part of it were block shots. When you block 14 shots... several of those are going to go back to the offensive player.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I, personally, was pretty darn pleased with the effort last night. They made the Hawks for for everything they got offensively. They blocked a ton of shot. I really thought the Hawks were going to have their way offensively with our injuries.

Let's be honest: The Hawks are a good team and a tough match up. Wining this game with our current roster would have been an upset. I'm happy with how the team performed. Can't way for Howard and Ross to come back healthy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #45
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

I just want Howard back so we can sit Marion for a while and let him recover. Seriously, a healthy Marion is more valuable to us than a healthy Josh.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #46
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
Coaching problem. The Mavs don't seem to find opponent players and block out. You can see it coming a mile away vs these long, athletic teams. They come out of nowhere and put the ball back in while Dirk stands around. I'm not a Dirk basher, he is a superstar on offense, but that is his weak point.

We need to make these guys come over our backs to get all these offensive rebounds and put backs.
Dirk is the absolute last guy you need to be bitching about as far as defensive rebounding is concerned.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #47
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

I didn't watch the game, but, was JJ Barea really guarding Joe Johnson at one point?????
Old 12-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #48
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I, personally, was pretty darn pleased with the effort last night. They made the Hawks for for everything they got offensively. They blocked a ton of shot. I really thought the Hawks were going to have their way offensively with our injuries.

Let's be honest: The Hawks are a good team and a tough match up. Wining this game with our current roster would have been an upset. I'm happy with how the team performed. Can't way for Howard and Ross to come back healthy.
Oh please. Our "injuries"? You mean Ross? The 12th guy? Or Howard, when is he not injured? I'm tired of people using the "no Howard" as a crutch. The man is always injured and this team has learned to play without him.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #49
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Oh please. Our "injuries"? You mean Ross? The 12th guy? Or Howard, when is he not injured? I'm tired of people using the "no Howard" as a crutch. The man is always injured and this team has learned to play without him.
"Our injuries" means two of our best wing defenders and a third wing defender who is hobbled and playing through pain. When you allow 80 points under those circumstances, you have every right to be pleased with the defensive effort (season high 14 blocks, as well, 4 a piece from Dirk and Damp). Offense was unbelievably awful, but the defense was above my expectations.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #50
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
I didn't watch the game, but, was JJ Barea really guarding Joe Johnson at one point?????
Just in the zone coverages he was. Can't really call it "gaurding" though. He just got pushed away.
Is JJ always trying to draw a charge or is he just getting pushed around that badly?
Its funny that we only play the zone when JJ is in the game. Does Carlisle really change our whole defense just so his buddy can play?

And lol at Carlisle being "forced" to start Terry because they were getting away with starting Roddy. I guess when he scores our first 9 points or shuts down the opposing guard we "got away" with starting him
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...T.4034316.html

BEAT LA

Last edited by badfish22; 12-06-2009 at 02:08 PM.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #51
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
"Our injuries" means two of our best wing defenders and a third wing defender who is hobbled and playing through pain. When you allow 80 points under those circumstances, you have every right to be pleased with the defensive effort (season high 14 blocks, as well, 4 a piece from Dirk and Damp). Offense was unbelievably awful, but the defense was above my expectations.
I didn't say anything about not being pleased with the defense. I was pleased with it. I'm not sure what your point is.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #52
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't say anything about not being pleased with the defense. I was pleased with it. I'm not sure what your point is.
My point is that our defense was good in spite of the injuries. You are acting like the injuries are just an excuse to justify our poor play. I think the injuries are a big part of the reason that we are playing poorly. Remember, despite our stout defense Joe Johnson still went off for 31 points on over 50% shooting. Part of the reason why is because the only player who can effectively guard him is Marion, who has only an ankle and a half right now, and both our wing defenders are injured. Those injuries are significant. That's all I'm saying.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #53
tgfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Dirk is the absolute last guy you need to be bitching about as far as defensive rebounding is concerned.
My issue is not the rebounding. I know Dirk gets a ton. It's getting out hustled for caroms off the rim, which allows so many easy buckets for opponents that is frustrating. If we were disciplined about putting a body on these guys, we could cut out some of those easy baskets. I am talking in general, not only about last night's game.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #54
tgfan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Just in the zone coverages he was. Can't really call it "gaurding" though. He just got pushed away.
Is JJ always trying to draw a charge or is he just getting pushed around that badly?
Its funny that we only play the zone when JJ is in the game. Does Carlisle really change our whole defense just so his buddy can play?

And lol at Carlisle being "forced" to start Terry because they were getting away with starting Roddy. I guess when he scores our first 9 points or shuts down the opposing guard we "got away" with starting him
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...T.4034316.html
Yeah, it seems to me it was when we started starting Roddy that we started jumping out ahead of other teams, rather than falling behind right away and having to scramble back.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #55
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My issue is not the rebounding. I know Dirk gets a ton. It's getting out hustled for caroms off the rim, which allows so many easy buckets for opponents that is frustrating. If we were disciplined about putting a body on these guys, we could cut out some of those easy baskets. I am talking in general, not only about last night's game.
Part of that problem is Dirk is not a great leaper. And he isn't quick off the floor. So jumping jack type guys like Smith give him trouble. Those jumping jack type of guys can literally tip the ball once or twice before Dirk can secure it.

(Some of it is effort, I agree.)
Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This team is not an elite team without Josh Howard. This team, without Josh Howard, is not as good as the Atlanta Hawks.

So if you want to act like Josh isn't even on the roster, fine. But it doesn't change the fact that losing to the Hawks without Josh is hardly a bad loss.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #57
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Weren't the Mavs favored?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #58
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In theory, when everyone is healthy, Josh won't be in a position to disappoint. But screw theories. We've lost 2 straight on quite pitiful performances by the Mavs. I think J-Ho would help us. I want him back.
In theory, if JJ were 6 inches taller we'd have the Puerto Rican Dwyane Wade in our back court. In reality, we've lost 2 straight in part because we've been hoping J-Ho would be our starting 2 rather than trading him back when more people thought he was good. If he comes back all rosy and playing great, we should trade him before he does this again to us.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #59
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We just flat out had a poor night on Friday against a bad team and had a frustrating loss. There are nights when shots arent falling but Friday night was evidence that good teams can lose when you combine a poor shooting night with a lack of effort/fundamentals. Saturday we faced a very good team who we match up with very poorly. We were disheartened, we were tired and our shots didnt fall. I still think we are at least on par with the Hawks if not favored significantly, but we had multiple strikes against us and I think we competed fairly well considering that no one could score other than Dirk (and even he had a subpar night). The Hawks have a lot of length, agility, speed and Smith provides a lot of athletic/power up front which is a nightmare with Marion hobbling. He's too quick/agile for Damp and too powerful for Dirk.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #60
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
In theory, if JJ were 6 inches taller we'd have the Puerto Rican Dwyane Wade in our back court. In reality, we've lost 2 straight in part because we've been hoping J-Ho would be our starting 2 rather than trading him back when more people thought he was good. If he comes back all rosy and playing great, we should trade him before he does this again to us.
Does what to us? Is he purposely staying out injured because he just wants money?

In reality, we've lost two straight because opposing wing players have lit us up and because we can't score. Josh is a wing defender and can score.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #61
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
Weren't the Mavs favored?
No idea. I certainly wouldn't have put money on them to win.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #62
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In reality, we've lost two straight because opposing wing players have lit us up and because we can't score. Josh is a wing defender and can score.
So what you're saying is we shouldn't trade Josh because then he'd light us up?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #63
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If JJ were 6 inches taller he'd be 2 inches taller than Wade and would have none of the pictures Wade uses to blackmail refs.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

gotta have more scoring options.. if you don't, too much gets laid at the feet of one man entirely too often. That is the Mavs biggest issue right now.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #65
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No idea. I certainly wouldn't have put money on them to win.
The Mavs were 5.5 point favorites. I just pointed that out because you said that it would have been an upset had they won. Technically, that's not true.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #66
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does what to us?
Flakes

Quote:
Is he purposely staying out injured because he just wants money?
who knows. The result would be the same.

Quote:
Well, that's what he's getting paid for, anyway. It's not working out well for the Mavs.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #67
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
If JJ were 6 inches taller he'd be 2 inches taller than Wade and would have none of the pictures Wade uses to blackmail refs.
I was assuming he would no longer wear the lifts.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #68
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Flakes

who knows. The result would be the same.

Well, that's what he's getting paid for, anyway. It's not working out well for the Mavs.
Would love to know what other options we have here. Trade Josh? And get what, another Matt Carroll. Make him come back, despite his injury, and have him just a ineffective as Marion is right now? Please, no. I'm going to repeat myself: The past two games, we're getting killed by opposing wings, and we can't score. Josh can defend those wings, and he can help us score. Why the effing hell wouldn't you want Josh back? He's a knucklehead, but so are hundred other professional athletes who are still producing in the role given to them by their team. Right now, we have no one who is filling that role that usually Josh. We have some people trying, and due to size and (some would argue) suckiness (Barea), or because of their injury (Marion), or because of our coach's PMS mood swings (Roddy), those options aren't working.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #69
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
So what you're saying is we shouldn't trade Josh because then he'd light us up?
Not exactly...but good outside the box thinking.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #70
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
gotta have more scoring options.. if you don't, too much gets laid at the feet of one man entirely too often. That is the Mavs biggest issue right now.
I was wondering why we didn't go to more two-man game with Dirk and Terry which always seems to get one if not both of them hot. I wonder if Carlisle is just determined to get a 5 man offense because of Kidd. I know even with Terry/Dirk being hot we'd still need at least 1 more consistent scorer. Kidd can score but is as inconsistent as he is smart when it comes to putting up points. Gooden and Thomas can occasionally put up some numbers but arent guys that will average 15ppg. Damp's and Marion have both been impressive so far with their post moces and ability to read the slash but Damp really cant be relied upon and Marion's game really depends on him being healthy and also having ball movement and scorers around him so there will be seams in the defense for him to find. We need more points and riding Dirk for 82 games just wont cut it with each player having a peak night and then shooting 20% the next 3-4 games.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #71
CadBane
Banned

I'm really confused why people are talking about the Mavs having issues with Josh Smith. Smith didn't do sh** last night. It was Joe Johnson that lit us up. Athletic scoring SG, same sh**, different day.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 PM   #72
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm really confused why people are talking about the Mavs having issues with Josh Smith. Smith didn't do sh** last night. It was Joe Johnson that lit us up. Athletic scoring SG, same sh**, different day.
Have people been talking about Smith? I know I've been talking about Joe Johnson and how he lit us up.

Last edited by tcat075; 12-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #73
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I was wondering why we didn't go to more two-man game with Dirk and Terry which always seems to get one if not both of them hot. I wonder if Carlisle is just determined to get a 5 man offense because of Kidd. I know even with Terry/Dirk being hot we'd still need at least 1 more consistent scorer. Kidd can score but is as inconsistent as he is smart when it comes to putting up points. Gooden and Thomas can occasionally put up some numbers but arent guys that will average 15ppg. Damp's and Marion have both been impressive so far with their post moces and ability to read the slash but Damp really cant be relied upon and Marion's game really depends on him being healthy and also having ball movement and scorers around him so there will be seams in the defense for him to find. We need more points and riding Dirk for 82 games just wont cut it with each player having a peak night and then shooting 20% the next 3-4 games.
Just need a legit #2 guy. I think we've been through the weaknesses of many of the options time and time again. As for why they didn't go with more of the JET and Dirk two man game. I don't know. I don't know if it was because of Jet's struggles or what. But yeah, you obviously cannot expect to ride Dirk this hard the entire season. I would say that someone needs to step up, but we pretty much know that the guys are what they are at this point of their career. I suppose JET could get on an extreme hot streak, but the remedy for this team offensively is a healthy Howard. I know that sounds overly simplistic..but that is the answer. This team will get absolutely nowhere until that guy gets healthy. If he cannot get healthy, there is a pretty good shot that this team is one and done..and very little chance of advancing out of round two.. unless Dirk is simply the best player on the planet night in and night out. That is a difficult task for anyone.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #74
Bayliss

Well, if Dirk doesn't come up with a Herculean effort against Utah and Milwaukee, the Mavs are sitting at 12-9.... pretty much right where they were last year at that point.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #75
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
. We have some people trying, and due to size and (some would argue) suckiness (Barea), or because of their injury (Marion), or because of our coach's PMS mood swings (Roddy), those options aren't working.
. . . and how's hat Josh Howard option working out?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #76
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Which is why the Mavs need more minutes for Gooden then was given this game. Like it or not, the Mavs need his offense with Howard out.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #77
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
. . . and how's hat Josh Howard option working out?
I asked you first. How is the 50% Marion/0 mpg Roddy/20mpg Barea working out?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #78
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I asked you first. How is the 50% Marion/0 mpg Roddy/20mpg Barea working out?
better than Josh Howard's ankle.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #79
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
better than Josh Howard's ankle.
but if Josh Howard's ankle did finish healing, like is supposed to happen, then I don't think there's even a question that Josh is an upgrade.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #80
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
but if Josh Howard's ankle did finish healing, like is supposed to happen, then I don't think there's even a question that Josh is an upgrade.
. . . until he's hurt again, or decides not to play hard in the 2nd halves, or calls a time-out at exactly the wrong time, or falls in love with his jumper. They need to use any impression of an upgrade to trade him.