Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #81
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
. . . until he's hurt again, or decides not to play hard in the 2nd halves, or calls a time-out at exactly the wrong time, or falls in love with his jumper. They need to use any impression of an upgrade to trade him.
But they can't trade him because other teams think he'll just get hurt again, or decide not to play hard in the 2nd halves, or call a time-out at exactly the wrong time, or fall in love with his jumper. Even if that's not true, that's what people think. So you can't trade him unless you want another Matt Carroll. So why don't we wait for him to get back and just hope for the best?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #82
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
So why don't we wait for him to get back and just hope for the best?
we've been doing that. It hasn't worked.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But they can't trade him because other teams think he'll just get hurt again, or decide not to play hard in the 2nd halves, or call a time-out at exactly the wrong time, or fall in love with his jumper. Even if that's not true, that's what people think. So you can't trade him unless you want another Matt Carroll. So why don't we wait for him to get back and just hope for the best?
Josh Howard still has value as an expiring contract...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #84
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
we've been doing that. It hasn't worked.
Well, duh. Waiting for someone to return from in injury rarely works as well as actually playing with the guy when he's healthy. But as we've already discussed, all we can do is wait, hope he can get healthy, and play as hard as we possibly can while he's out because even without Josh this is still a good team (and we're doing a good job of that, we're on pace to win 4 more games than last year).
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #85
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Josh Howard still has value as an expiring contract...
If they can find a team that wants to trade a decent wing player for Josh Howard, then I'm all for it. I don't think its going to happen, but I've been wrong before. Many times before.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't a majority of expiring contract/salary dump trades happen during the offseason?

Last edited by tcat075; 12-07-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #86
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
If they can find a team that wants to trade a decent wing player for Josh Howard, then I'm all for it. I don't think its going to happen, but I've been wrong before. Many times before.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't a majority of expiring contract/salary dump trades happen during the offseason?
I doubt it's going to happen, I think Josh has more value to us than he does to any other team. If we trade him, it'll be a downgrade.

And that's not necessarily true, expiring contract/salary dump trades happen all the time at the midseason trade deadline.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #87
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Josh Howard has more trade value this season than he has in quite a while. Possibly ever. The Mavs are in a situation where they can wait and see if Josh comes back healthy soon. If he doesn't they can trade him before the deadline. If they don't trade him they can use their team option, keep him next year and he'll once again be playing for a contract and trade able as an expiring. This idea that the Mavs missed their chance to trade Josh while his value was highest is 100% incorrect.

And I still expect Josh to prove a lot of people wrong when he comes back (which should be very soon). It's pretty silly to call a guy injury prone when he has one injury that costs him time last season, and now his surgery this season has cost him some time. It's one injury.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #88
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Josh Howard has more trade value this season than he has in quite a while. Possibly ever. The Mavs are in a situation where they can wait and see if Josh comes back healthy soon. If he doesn't they can trade him before the deadline. If they don't trade him they can use their team option, keep him next year and he'll once again be playing for a contract and trade able as an expiring. This idea that the Mavs missed their chance to trade Josh while his value was highest is 100% incorrect.

And I still expect Josh to prove a lot of people wrong when he comes back (which should be very soon). It's pretty silly to call a guy injury prone when he has one injury that costs him time last season, and now his surgery this season has cost him some time. It's one injury.
Josh has more problems than injuries.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #89
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He hit 3 of them. That's a nice 38% clip. If JET shot 38% from 3 at the end of the season, I would quite happy with him. Its better than he shot last year. Taking 8 threes wasn't the problem. If you want to blame JET, don't blame him for the quantity of his threes. Blame him for the quality, whether they were good shots. (you did mention that they were ill-advised; that's a legit complain. Taking 8 threes, that's not, because JET hit a decent percentage of them.
I disagree...the stats look right but the manner of play matters with jet. Jet has to be more aggressive to the paint to be an effective 2-guard when he's out there. I know he can hit spot up 3's but he can't hit them as well as jkiddo can for example!! so he's got to provide some drive and kick to a team that needs it badly.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #90
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking back at the popcornmachine site. Jet/Dirk look like they need a break. They really broke down in the fourth. I'm not sure what else RC is going to do but he has to give dirk more rest if he expects him to put the team on his back at the end of the game, he just has to.

And jet HAS to quit settling for 3pt shots in the fourth. Half of his six shots were 3s and he only got 2 ftas.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #91
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
. . . until he's hurt again, or decides not to play hard in the 2nd halves, or calls a time-out at exactly the wrong time, or falls in love with his jumper. They need to use any impression of an upgrade to trade him.
Who is being offered to the mavs that would be an upgrade and where do you get your inside info?!
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to rely too heavily on the vagina that is Josh Howard.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #93
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I disagree...the stats look right but the manner of play matters with jet. Jet has to be more aggressive to the paint to be an effective 2-guard when he's out there. I know he can hit spot up 3's but he can't hit them as well as jkiddo can for example!! so he's got to provide some drive and kick to a team that needs it badly.
JET can drive only when his jumper is falling. He was 1-6 on 2PT shots. In other words, his jumper wasn't falling. As a result, he got more separation from defenders, which makes it harder to drive. Statistically at least in that game, it was better for him to shoot a 3 ball than 2PT shot. Not saying that's always the case, but it this I think it was.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #94
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Josh has more problems than injuries.
Josh's problems are his injuries.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #95
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Josh's problems are his injuries.
What about when he falls in love with his jumper? What about when he disappears in the 4th?

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #96
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
What about when he falls in love with his jumper? What about when he disappears in the 4th?
He has weaknesses. So does other players on our team. JET is a streaky shooter, and doesn't take it to the rack as much as he should. Kidd can't hit a layup to save his life and often passes out of the layups that he can make. Dampier has no offensive game unless he's wide open. Dirk is perfect, but Josh isn't even close to the player Dirk is, that's obvious.

The key here is that Josh is a 46% career shooter from the field and a 16 PPG scorer, and he can defend the wings well when healthy. If he could stay healthy, we could use that, no matter what he did in the 4th quarter. And when a guy is a 46% career shooter, the whole "falling in love with his jumper hting" is a little bit of an unfair criticism. There are some shots he should stop taking, yes, I agree, but all in all he shoots a high percentage when you total up all the shots he takes.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #97
rebbit

rebbit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He has weaknesses. So does other players on our team. JET is a streaky shooter, and doesn't take it to the rack as much as he should. Kidd can't hit a layup to save his life and often passes out of the layups that he can make. Dampier has no offensive game unless he's wide open. Dirk is perfect, but Josh isn't even close to the player Dirk is, that's obvious.

The key here is that Josh is a 46% career shooter from the field and a 16 PPG scorer, and he can defend the wings well when healthy. If he could stay healthy, we could use that, no matter what he did in the 4th quarter. And when a guy is a 46% career shooter, the whole "falling in love with his jumper hting" is a little bit of an unfair criticism. There are some shots he should stop taking, yes, I agree, but all in all he shoots a high percentage when you total up all the shots he takes.
Well said my friend. I couldn't agree more!
rebbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #98
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
one thing we have really been lacking, compared to last year, is 1st quarter scoring. Our 4th quarter scoring will go down without Josh solely because of the fact that Dirk has to carry the offensive load throughout the game, depending on the inconsistent contributions from the rest of the team. Josh is known to be a great 1st and 3rd quarter scoring. If nothing else, this should take some of the load off Dirk and allow him to carry the team, if need be, in the 4th quarter.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #99
jamyoa

jamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these partsjamyoa is infamous around these parts

It's Rick's fault! Why in the hell does he keep putting Jason Terry in during crunchtime, when he knows all he's gonig to do is take jumpshots and miss most of the time. Terry has been here way to long to know that you have to drive it to the basket no matter what. Terry must be traded!
jamyoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #100
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyoa View Post
It's Rick's fault! Why in the hell does he keep putting Jason Terry in during crunchtime, when he knows all he's gonig to do is take jumpshots and miss most of the time. Terry has been here way to long to know that you have to drive it to the basket no matter what. Terry must be traded!
You should make a couple more threads about it...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #101
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyoa View Post
Can we trade you back to the Spurs forum?