Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-12-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default Dallas/Atlanta/Portland

I know there have been rumors involving Rasheed Wallace to Dallas for Jamison etc. First of all, I like Jamison. I like what he brings to the team. Yes I know he's a terrible defender...but who isnt on the Mavs? He meshes well with Nowitski...as opposed to Walker. So I would prefer to trade Walker. But is Wallace the answer? I dont know. Can he play the center position? Will he ruin the chemistry in the locker room? Will he remain a Mavs after the season is over? Theres just too many unanswered questions with Wallace. Here's a 3 team trade involving Dallas, Atlanta, and Portland:

Dallas trades Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, and Travis Best

Dallas receives Theo Ratliff, Jason Terry, and Obina Ekezie

Atlanta trades Theo Ratliff, Jason Terry, and Obina Ekezie

Atlanta receives Rasheed Wallace

Portland trades Rasheed Wallace

Portland receives Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, and Travis Best

Why Dallas does it? Well, although Ratliff is an undersized center/PF in the West...he may be a better fit here than Wallace. Clearly, he can defend, shot-block, rebound, etc. I love Terry's game...he reminds me a little of NVE. I think our backup PG problem would be solved. Plus I like what Daniels brings to the team as well. He's started the past few games...the kid can play. Ekezie was thrown in for salary cap purposes. Our roster:

PF Nowitski Najera
SF Howard Jamison
C Ratliff Bradley/Fortson
PG Nash Terry/Daniels
SG Finley Daniels/Howard

Pretty good balance throughout.

Why Atlanta does it? Salary cap relief. No one attends their games. They're losing so much money. Ratliff and Terry want to get the heck out of there. Wallace comes off the books this season...to the tune of 17.5 million. Atlanta will be way under the cap this offseason...good for them...my question is...what good will that do? Who wants to go to Atlanta? That's their problem I guess. But the key for them is salary cap relief this year...which they desperately want.

Why Portland does it? If they dont trade Wallace...theoretically he walks and Portland gets nothing but salary cap relief. But they're still way over the cap...so what good does that do? At least, they get something for nothing. Walker is obviously a talented player...he may mesh well with Randolph. Pretty good front-line for Portland...Walker, Randolph, and Davis. Is it enough to get them into the playoffs this year? Who knows...but they can start to prepare themselves for the future...Walker and Stoudamires contract are off the books in 2005...almost 30 million. Next year is the year when Portland is primed to sign preimier free agents. In the meantime, they save face with the addition of Walker. Again, it is not a firesale in Portland like it is in Atlanta. And if things work out...they have the option to resign Walker.

Your thoughts?

Abe
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default RE:Dallas/Atlanta/Portland

Atlanta is hamstrung...they have a sale pending...they can't do anything until it's done. Period.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

I agree that A. Walker would be a better fit in Portland than in Dallas. Myself I would rather have Z. Randolph than R. Wallace, but I don't think the Blazer's are looking to deal him..

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nicky31
I agree that A. Walker would be a better fit in Portland than in Dallas. Myself I would rather have Z. Randolph than R. Wallace, but I don't think the Blazer's are looking to deal him..
they have made it very known that they are looking to build around Zach, not looking to trade him!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Dallas/Atlanta/Portland

OUTLET PASS - "Atlanta is hamstrung...they have a sale pending...they can't do anything until it's done. Period. "

I thought the sale was completed before the season. They matched Terry. The new owners got the purchase done when McDavid kept dragging his feet. What is still "pending"?
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Nope the sale is still pending in the league office...they're hoping to finalize it by the end of January...but they've been singing the same tune for a couple of months.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Nope the sale is still pending in the league office...they're hoping to finalize it by the end of January...but they've been singing the same tune for a couple of months.
Atlanta would have no doubt made signings and trades by now if it hadnt been for the pending sale. Im doubting that the sale will be complete by the trade deadline though. If they ever finish up we should be the first ones to that garage sale, but for now trade speculation is fairly useless
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

just a reminder for everyone proposing Atlanta trades another swish
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dallas/Atlanta/Portland

OMG THIS LOOKS JUST LIKE THIS TRADE YOU PROPOSED A COUPLE OF DAYS
http://dallas-mavs.com/forums/messag...threadid=14789

MAN IM TIRED OF THESE WORN OUT TRADE THREADS...BE ORIGINAL OR LEAVE THEM ALONE
Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #10
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

hey jamisonite

wow...you have a lot of time on your hands to look that up. anyways...the other deal involved wallace going to atlanta...this current deal is a straight-up trade with atlanta.

you mentioned being worn out of trade threads...your "sweetheart of a deal" was frankly one of the worst trade proposal i've seen. ruben patterson to dallas? please.

http://dallas-mavs.com/forums/messag...threadid=14798
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote