Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-13-2004, 01:41 AM   #81
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Rasheed Wallace

January 13

Asked about his team's alleged pursuit of Wallace, Cuban dumped cold water on the notion.

"It's all hypothetical," Cuban said, sitting on a folding chair surrounded in the visitor's dressing room at Madison Square Garden. "They would have to make us a sweetheart bargain that we couldn't say no to."

FULL STORY

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2004, 05:00 AM   #82
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

when wallace comes, the chemistry will go.

the mavs are a bunch of soft nice guys. they need a tough nice guy who can defend, not a tough bad guy who feels being exploited while making making millions of dollars

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:05 AM   #83
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future
Default RE: Rasheed Wallace

if wallace comes the chemistry goes.

can't we get another nice shooter?

who cares about defense

let's have games where the mavs win 130:120

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #84
V
Golden Member

Mark Stein

'Sheed to Big D? With talks between the Blazers and Knicks "cooling," to quote one source, the hottest rumor over the weekend had the Mavericks as the leading contender to land Rasheed Wallace in the "Who wants to win a head case" sweepstakes. The rumors, if you believe them, have the Mavericks offering Antawn Jamison, among others, in return for 'Sheed.
The problem is, Mavericks owners Mark Cuban is vehemently denying that the Mavs are doing anything or shopping anyone.

"They'd have to make us a sweetheart deal that we couldn't say no to," Cuban told the Fort Worth Star Telegram when asked about the deal with the Blazers. "No reason to change unless there's something that's a great deal."

"We haven't been shopping anybody," Cuban said. "We haven't been out searching for anything. I've said it again and again and again: It's just about us trying to turn the corner. We'd all hoped that things would click better beforehand. It's not a talent issue; it's a coming-together issue."

He's also, by the way, no longer interested in the Knicks' Kurt Thomas.

"Kurt is a great defender, but defending in the West is completely different from defending in the East," Cuban told the N.Y. Post. "We have to put it into context of what happens in the Western Conference. I'm not knocking Kurt Thomas, but we're not going to make a change just to make a change. Just swapping parts and comparable pieces doesn't help us."

Fine. Just remember that Cuban has said similar things the past few trade deadlines and offseasons only to make huge deals. Every time, Cuban's response is the same. Essentially, "They made us a sweetheart deal that we couldn't say no to." So the question you have to ask yourself is this: Is Rasheed for Jamison and spare parts a "sweetheart" deal for the Mavericks?

Probably not. Jamison has been great coming off the bench in Dallas. No telling how 'Sheed would respond to that. Considering the Mavs' chemistry problems this season, why add another, even more volatile element into the mix. Wallace isn't the tough, blue collar defender and rebounder the Mavs need. Why take the risk?

So if the Knicks aren't getting Sheed and the Mavs aren't going to pull the trigger, who is?

Ummmm ... that's a tough one. Unless Blazers GM John Nash has altered his criteria for trading 'Sheed (young all-star or expiring contracts and prospects), it's tough to see how he's going to pull off a deal. The Hawks, as we noted above, may be the best bet, but given how much the team is in flux, don't bet on it.

Despite all that, Nash claims it's "likely" he'll make a move before the Feb. 19 trade deadline.

"We are making an effort, and we have made it known to people that we are willing to deal," Nash told the Oregonian. "But we have also made it known that we are not conducting a fire sale. I expect that as we get closer to the deadline, teams will make their best offer. It's my experience that the best and final offers are made in the final moments."

While Nash wouldn't divulge exactly who he's going to trade, it's pretty clear Wallace is the target.

"What we are doing is exploring all options involving all players," Nash said. "Usually, there is more interest in your best players, so it's logical to assume that there has been more interest in Rasheed than, say, Ruben Boumtje Boumtje.

"But because of the size of Rasheed's contract ($17 million), his is not an easy deal to make. It would probably have to involve a multiplayer deal. Look, we don't want to trade Rasheed if it's a bad trade. We don't want to trade any player if it's a bad trade. But we have not made a decision on what we intend to do in the future (with Wallace). But obviously, we are going to have to make that decision in the not too distant future."

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #85
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Trailblazers: Wallace sits, rumors stir

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

News
Portland forward Rasheed Wallace missed his third straight game on Tuesday due to a sprained ankle, while rumors escalated about a potential trade that would send him to the Mavericks. The Oregonian reports that the deal would provide Dallas forwards Antawn Jamison and Eduardo Najera, along with guard Tony Delk, in exchange for Wallace. Head coach Maurice Cheeks insisted that the injury, not trade speculation, was the reason that he did not participate in the game.

Views
Just as Jamison's value dwindled when he went from the Warriors' leading scorer to a reserve for the Mavericks, so would Wallace's. He is currently averaging 16.8 points and 6.6 rebounds, both of which are slightly down from last year's numbers. On the flip side, Jamison's value would increase as he would see more playing time in Portland. We'll keep you posted on the development of this potential deal.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #86
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'd rather provide Walker than Jamison.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:34 PM   #87
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's my experience that the best and final offers are made in the final moments.
We will get Wallace on February 19 at 2:55.

Quote:
The Oregonian reports that the deal would provide Dallas forwards Antawn Jamison and Eduardo Najera, along with guard Tony Delk, in exchange for Wallace.
I think we should at least get one of their spare center for Delk and Najera, since Wallace is averaging less rebounds than Jamison, and is nearly tied for points.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 12:38 PM   #88
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Dallas trades: Tariq Abdul-Wahad ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
PF Antoine Walker (16.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 5.1 apg in 37.9 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.7 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 16.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
C Dale Davis (6.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 28.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.2 ppg, -1.0 rpg, and -2.1 apg.

Portland trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
C Dale Davis (6.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 28.8 minutes)
Portland receives: Tariq Abdul-Wahad ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
PF Antoine Walker (16.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 5.1 apg in 37 games)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 28 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 29 games)
Change in team outlook: +3.2 ppg, +1.0 rpg, and +2.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 01-14-2004, 12:47 PM   #89
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Man... Our forwards are getting better and better, but unless one of them is going to play shooting guard/Center, we are just unable to get them all in the game...

Talented forwards NOW:
Dirk
Walker
Jamison
Howard

All four of these guys deserve starting minutes - even the rookie

Talented forwards AFTER TRADE:

Dirk
Wallace
Walker
Howard

The problem with this trade is that now more than ever, we have at least THREE forwards that MUST start... Jamison is a nice guy that can ride the pine rather than start, but Wallace will NOT be so kind... Wallace would HAVE to be our PF, with Walker the SF, and Dirk at C... This would at the very least make us better defensively, but man... No chances of starting Bradley, Howard, or any other center unless one of those three gets traded!!!

Scary trade... I just dont think I would do it unless Walker was the bait rather than Jamison... I dont want three guys asking for MAX dollars at the end of this year, (Walker, Nash, and possibly Wallace)!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #90
Nash13
Diamond Member

What it comes down to is who you want Dirk to guard.

SAN: Do you want Dirk guarding Duncan or Rasho?
SAC: Do you want Dirk guarding Webber or Miller?
LAL: Do you want Dirk guarding Shaq or Malone?
MIN: Do you want Dirk guarding Garnett or Johnson?

3 out of four of those answers are the centers of the opposing teams.

~The Salesman
Old 01-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #91
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Wallace is a bad defensive forward on the worst defensive team in the league. He's not a great rebounder, either. He's a headcase. I'll pass.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #92
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Wallace is a bad defensive forward on the worst defensive team in the league. He's not a great rebounder, either. He's a headcase. I'll pass.
A bad defensive forward??? Are you kidding me??? He is a terrific defender and does a hell of a job on some of the most talented scoring bigs in the game today...

If you dont believe me, check out hoopshype: Rasheed Wallace
Old 01-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #93
Nash13
Diamond Member

I think his talent is equivalent to Jamison/Walker. His biggest upside is that he's taller, and we'd be closer to the threshold in the offseason.

~The Salesman
Old 01-14-2004, 01:41 PM   #94
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Man I dont... I think he has better on-court skills than either of those two, (though overall, Walker and him are close)... And regardless of what a few misinformed fans, (madape), think, his defensive abilities are FAR, FAR superior to either of those two guys...

Wallace has been expected to perform at the level of the Garnetts and Duncans for years, but his head just wont let him make that jump... You will see the 31 and 12 from him on occassion, but he just never can keep it consistent... When his head is in the game though, there arent many better overall players when considering offense and defense...
Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 PM   #95
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Trailblazers: Wallace sits, rumors stir

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Wednesday, January 14, 2004

News
Portland forward Rasheed Wallace missed his third straight game on Tuesday due to a sprained ankle, while rumors escalated about a potential trade that would send him to the Mavericks. The Oregonian reports that the deal would provide Dallas forwards Antawn Jamison and Eduardo Najera, along with guard Tony Delk, in exchange for Wallace. Head coach Maurice Cheeks insisted that the injury, not trade speculation, was the reason that he did not participate in the game.

Views
Just as Jamison's value dwindled when he went from the Warriors' leading scorer to a reserve for the Mavericks, so would Wallace's. He is currently averaging 16.8 points and 6.6 rebounds, both of which are slightly down from last year's numbers. On the flip side, Jamison's value would increase as he would see more playing time in Portland. We'll keep you posted on the development of this potential deal.
Here's the link to the Oregonian article...

Link

Might as well see what that probably looks like if you do the deal:

Nowitzki 28 - Bradley 20
Wallace 38 - Nowitzki 10
Walker 35 - Howard 13
Finley 35 - Howard 13
Nash 34 - Best 14

Personally, I like my Memphis three-way better...

Old 01-14-2004, 02:40 PM   #96
Nash13
Diamond Member

If we trade Walker, we could get someone else since his contract is closer to Wallace's contract.

~The Salesman
Old 01-14-2004, 02:44 PM   #97
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I will only accept Wallace here if we get Dale Davis too. Otherwise Wallace can go play in a minefield.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:56 PM   #98
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

This would be pretty interesting too:

Dallas trades: PF Antoine Walker (16.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 5.1 apg in 37.9 minutes)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 13.7 minutes)
PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 16.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
PG Jeff McInnis (12.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.2 apg in 33.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, -5.4 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

Portland trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (16.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
PG Jeff McInnis (12.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.2 apg in 33.4 minutes)
Portland receives: PF Antoine Walker (16.5 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 5.1 apg in 37 games)
SF Eduardo Najera (3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.4 apg in 28 games)
PG Tony Delk (6.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 29 games)
Change in team outlook: -2.8 ppg, +5.4 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
Old 01-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #99
Nash13
Diamond Member

Not necessarily Davis, but one of their Centers. I made a trade a few posts up involving Davis.

~The Salesman
Old 01-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #100
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

We dont need to get wallace unless we trade walker. I dont really think him and walker would get along...what about u guys
Old 01-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #101
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Actually they would probably be best friends... Two guys that both think they are misunderstood would probably hit it off pretty good... With their past meetings, Im more worried about Dirk and Wallace!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 03:24 PM   #102
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Afterall, Wallace is probably thinking: "Man, I dont have anyone from that damn team but Walker that I might have something in common with..."
Old 01-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #103
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
Afterall, Wallace is probably thinking: "Man, I dont have anyone from that damn team but Walker that I might have something in common with..."
Dan, that's pretty funny. I think you may be on to something though.

Honestly, the guys I'm more worried about hitting it off are Dirk, Nash, and Wallace. I think they'll compliment each other nicely on the court, but Dirk and Rasheed, especially, have had some wars on the court through the years. That could be interesting.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #104
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

While teh evaluation of a player's defensive abilities is a subjective task, the numbers don't lie. Not only is Portland the worst defensive team in the league, they are the worst by a LOOONG shot. If Wallace is such a great defender, why are opponents dropping buckets on Portland like rain? Wallace isn't a strong physical presence. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't block a whole lot of shots. He's a lazy punk who probably COULD be a good defender if he gave a shit, but he doesn't.

The stat's don't lie.

Team Defense Rankings - based on opponent's field goal %:

24 Sacramento .450
25 Seattle .452
26 Dallas .453
27 Orlando .453
28 LA Clippers .455
29 Portland .470

Old 01-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #105
Nash13
Diamond Member

Ape, that can't really count against him for what his team averages. Josh Howard is a pretty good defender on our team, Doug Christie is a good defender on Sacramento, Elton Brand is a pretty good defender on the Clippers.

Also, Walker has never reportedly had problems with his teammates before, so i don't see why you'd pick him out. Walker has on court problems and Wallace has off court problems.

~The Salesman
Old 01-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #106
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Madape,

What you fail to realize is that there are many more players than Wallace that plays defense... I can quote probably 8-10 good websites that refer to Wallace as having GREAT defense, not to mention about 10 personal users of this website... It seems everyone but you knows that he is a quality defender... Not to mention that his strong physical presence means nothing for Portland... Do you watch their games??? Do you watch Dale Davis play Center with Randolph playing power forward... What does this mean? It means that Mr. Wallace's strong physical presence guarding the opposing teams SMALL FORWARD isnt needed... With Randolph emerging offensively, Wallace took a backseat and he is being misused... He isnt rebounding this year, (though his numbers never have been good), because he is at the SF position. Regarding the lazy punk statement... I guess I cant say anything about that, because he often is lazy with both his offense and defense unless he is playing a big game.

Basically, you are stereotyping Wallace by stats you have found and by his numbers... Because his team gives up buckets easy means HE cant play defense??? Please... Because he isnt rebounding now means he cant??? Please... Again, how many rebounds do you expect when he is the SF???
Old 01-14-2004, 03:48 PM   #107
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Madape, just because Dallas sucks defensively as a team, does that mean that Josh Howard is a bad defender? Sacramento is a bad team defensively. Is Doug Christie a bad defender? You can't infer any individual's defensive prowess simply by looking at his team's defensive statistics.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #108
cdeleon

cdeleon is on a distinguished road

I just heard Dwain Price the NBA beat writer for the FWST say on Fox radio that he spoke to some sources in Portland and they said a trade will happen with the Mavs for Wallace. He didn't say who exactly is being traded but thought it was Jamison amongst others. He went on to guarantee that Wallace will be a Mav by the trade deadline. He said the sources are trying to keep it quiet because Portland wants the Mavs to sweeten the deal but it will happen.
cdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:22 PM   #109
madape
Diamond Member

I agree, you can't judge a single player's defensive prowress by the performance of an entire team. But isn't that what defense is all about? Making your team better?

Wallace may have the reputation of being a good defender, but his team is shaping up to be one of the worst defensive teams of all time. Sure, someone isn't pulling their weight. I don't know if it's Wallace, but I do know one thing. Portland is a team filled with guys considered to be GOOD defensive players, like Dale Davis, Bonzi Wells (for 20 games), Randolph, Stepania, etc... yet Wallace can't help Portland be anything but one of the worst defensive teams in league history.

Yet in the face of that almost undeniable FACT, people still think Wallace can come to THIS team... a team filled with defensive afterthoughts like Dirk, Nash, Finley, and Jamison...and make it a better defensive team? Pardon me, but that don't make much sense.

Portland has Wallace on it, as well as loads of other guys who can "D" it up, and it still stinks. What convinces you that if he comes to Dallas, he can help us "not stink".

And just because Portand doesn't need a physical presence, doesn't mean that we don't need one either. Just because Portland has Randolph and Dale Davis manning the paint doesn't mean that we do. We DO need a physical presense. We DO need shotblocking and rebounding. If you were talking about Dale Davis, that would be one thing. But we're talking about Rasheed Wallace. What we need is strength and defense in the paint. What we don't need is another skinny small forward launching three pointers and taking plays off on the defensive end. The more you tell me what Wallace doesn't do in Portland, the more it appears to me that he doesn't do the things we would want him to do here in Dallas.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #110
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: cdeleon
I just heard Dwain Price the NBA beat writer for the FWST say on Fox radio that he spoke to some sources in Portland and they said a trade will happen with the Mavs for Wallace. He didn't say who exactly is being traded but thought it was Jamison amongst others. He went on to guarantee that Wallace will be a Mav by the trade deadline. He said the sources are trying to keep it quiet because Portland wants the Mavs to sweeten the deal but it will happen.
Again, something that does not make sense. Portland wants to keep the deal quiet, because they want the Mavs to sweeten the pot. Yet they have no problem telling Dwain Price, the BEAT WRITER for a Dallas area newspaper, that a trade "will happen"

Stupid is as stupid does Dwain... check into it.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:37 PM   #111
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Apewhatismad,

If four players arent doing their thing defensively, are you saying that the one who is will make the team better? Nope! If three guys are missing assignments, are the two that arent going to make you better? Nope! If two guys are missing assignments, are the three that arent going to make you better? Nope! If one guy is missing an assignment, are the four that arent going to make you better? Nope!

My point is, if one consistent player, or one player per trip down the court is missing an assingment or messing up somehow defensively, that is all that it takes to take TEAM defense downhill...

Regarding your statement about him not helping portland but supposedly being able to help us........ I will just say he cant do any worse than Jamison is doing!!! I love Jamison on the Mavs, and I wish there was a way he could stay... BUT, he defense is atrocious, and for you to make defensive comments about Wallace when the player likely to get traded to Portland is our WORST, (and I do mean W-O-R-S-T), defender, I think you need to rethink things!!! Regarding us needing a physical presence... Guess what, HE IS BEING TRADED AGAIN FOR JAMISON... He is taller than him, can d it up better than him, and has a better overall game. He blocks shots better than anyone we have next to Bradley!

No he is NOT going to d it up GREAT against the Shaq's of the world, but who will... He is not being brought in to be our center... If you still want center help, trade Walker for that or one of our bench players... Or just let Dirk and Bradley to continue in that role... He is simply an upgrade defensively while being as good/better offensively... You cant deny that at all... Regarding ANOTHER SKINNY SMALL FORWARD??? 6'11 is plenty tall enough and I would think they dont get much better than the QUITE GIFTED POWER FORWARD GARNETT... Wallace ALWAYS guards Duncan and Garnett, and has still found a way to be known as the defensive presence he is...

Look, if you dont like the guy, just say that... But you arent going to get anywhere with me making an argument on how he cant help us defensively... A good defensive player can help a team by at least d'ing up his man... It is really that simple!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #112
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Madape, I really can't comment on what is at the root of Portland's defensive struggles because I haven't watched them enough. My understanding from what I've read is that they've been playing him out of position as the small forward, where he is not too hot as a defender, IMO. He's better defensively in the post, which is why I think he'd help relative to our current situation. We could play him against the other team's biggest low-post threat much as we did with Raef last year (who was also really a power forward). No, he's not a shot-blocker, but at the same time our perimeter defense would improve somewhat just by us not having to pack everybody in to help out on post defense. We wouldn't scare anybody defensively with a front-court of Sheed and Dirk, but I don't think we'd flat out suck like we do now either.

His rebounding numbers are something of a concern, but he does play on an extrtemely good rebounding team with several guys who are very, very good rebounders (Davis, Randolph, Stepania; hell, even their smaller guys like Patterson are top notch in that respect). He's a gamble, no question, but there are certainly reasons why it MIGHT be a gamble worth taking. He's better defensively than either AJ or AW. He's at the very least no worse on the boards than AJ. He's also every bit as much a low post threat on offense as either AJ or AW, and has a better perimeter shot than either. His head, and the possibility that there might be better fitting deals out there, are the only real drawbacks that I can see.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #113
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Actually grandmasterC, he IS a good shot blocker!!!

I will take a consistent 1.5 a game when I can get it!!! Especially the occassional 4 and 5 block games!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #114
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Dan, didn't mean to imply that the guy couldn't get some blocks, but his presence is not going to intimidate penetrating guards. For his career he's blocked 1.2 shots per game in 35 mintes per. He's not a ghost, but compare that to even Big Z, who's not known for his defense but has nonethless managed 1.7 in under 30 minutes a game, and those aren't exactly jaw-dropping statistics. Sheed's principle contribution on D would be improved man-to-man defense on the opposing team's best low post offensive threat.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #115
V
Golden Member

Thought I should weigh in on this subject since I'm purported to be the resident Sheed lover...

I've watched Portland all season (I've seen more Blazers games than any other team outside of the Mavs)... not because I like the team; I watched to (amature-ly) scout Wallace.

Some quick thoughts on Portland's defense: Randolph is a terrible defender (and I mean Jamison-terrible) ... McKinnis is playing out of position... Stoudamire is worn down playing big minutes in long stretches. Dale Davis has been battling back spasms. Woods doesn't defend. Patterson can defend but he only plays 20 minutes. Person is not a defender... etc, etc.

The Blazers also have lots of problems with chemistry & effort. Stoudamire is playing his ass off but he's hit a dry spell. Randolph has drawn criticism because his hole is blacker than Jamison's. I've NEVER seen him pass the ball if there was any opportunity for him to shoot. Wallace is drifting ... dropping the ball into Randolph & letting him do his thing. Everyone is frustrated.

At times Wallace has responded - typically the result of a poor start by Randolph - to take control & light up the box score... but he has seemed resigned to the fact that management (Nash) wants Zach to be the star.

Wallace has worked on defense... and has shown a remarkable ability to defend on the perimiter... but remember he's still a 6'11" 245lb power forward trying to guard legit 6'7" SFs... so he's occasionally beaten off the dribble. Help side defense is non-existent.

Other times Wallace plays center (about 20 minutes per night) & matches up with the opposing team's best offensive four or five.

Other things to note: Wallace has a brilliant on-court basketball mind. He sets good picks... He blocks out & creates space for defensive rebounds (even if the more athletic Randolph typically gobbles them up) ... he moves the basketball ... and he plays a great team game. He steps out defensively to disrupt the pick & roll... he has quick hands ... his shot is unblockable. I notice that he does a lot of the small things that make a team successful: for example, last week sometime I was watching a game & I saw how he would anticipate defensive rotations & step out to screen the defender, resulting in an open look. And hen he gets that turnaround jumper going off the baseline he's unstoppable.

That said... and I've noted this before .... I've also seen a LOT of the "bad Sheed." Sometimes it seems like he's protesting on the court: maybe it's because he's mad at the lack of defensive effort... maybe he's frustrated to see Randolph jack up a prayer when there were better options available.... it could be that he doesn't like Cheek's playcalling.... or maybe he's just tired of loosing. I've seen Sheed refuse to roll on a pick & roll. I've seen him refuse to post up... and I've seen him let to officials take him out of the game.

But I have not seen him quit.

-- Don Nelson
Old 01-14-2004, 05:26 PM   #116
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Well yeah, he isnt a center, but for a PF, he puts up pretty good numbers... Again, better than any Maverick not named Bradley... Jaw-dropping stats though??? Of course not, but a good shot blocker nonetheless. I also agree with his main contribution on D being improved man-to-man defense... The best thing about that is it would be ONE HELL of an improvement over what we currently have to guard the Duncans and Garnetts of the NBA!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:55 PM   #117
madape
Diamond Member

Thanks for the report V.

Old 01-14-2004, 06:02 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Likewise... We posted at the same time and my post came in last so I didnt know you had posted this... Very good read!!!

I just think overall, he would help us in covering the most talented front court player on the opposing team... That is all I am saying... Not to mention his offensive contributions... I am the first to say that the guy has to keep his head together... But if he can get with a winning organization and make it deep into the playoffs, that type of thing could really help change a guy... He has already changed quite a bit ON COURT in regards to toning his technicals down...

As much as I like Jamison, Wallace is just more talented and more passionate... I must say with Jamison, I am getting tired of him getting beat or drawing a foul he felt he didnt deserve and saying NOTHING... NO facial expression WHAT SO EVER... We need a bit more passion and a little bit more arguing even, (though that whiney face of Walkers got old starting day 1).
Old 01-14-2004, 06:17 PM   #119
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

If we acquired Rasheed for Jamison then this offseason we would have a chance of clearing some major cap room considering there is a chance that both Walker and Wallace wouldnt come back. Does anyone know if this happened exactly how much room this gives us and if its fairly significant are there any great free agents that we could have a chance at signing in the offseason with this new supply of money?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:27 PM   #120
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Finley will make 14.6, Dirk will make 12.6, Fortson will make 5.9, Shawn will make 4, Eddie will make 3.8, Delk 3.1, Howard .8.

If Walker opted out and we trade Tariq and Jamison for Rasheed that would leave us with roughly 45 million in payroll before even considering Nash, Marquis and Jon. I don't think that leaves us any cap room.